All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
A good morning surprise!!!!
      #190474 - 06/30/05 07:38 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I let my dogs outside in the backyard this morning. I looked down at the newspaper in my hand, looked back up and saw one of my beagles nose to nose with a SNAKE on my back porch!!!

I was still in my pj's and had no shoes on, so I panicked. I stood at the back door (about 3 feet away), telling the dog "NO!" over and over again. He finally ran off into the yard----and then my little beagle decides she wants to check the snake out too.

As she gets closer and closer to it, I'm pleading with her to "Come to Mommy!" I grabbed the dog treats from inside and held them out to her. Finally, she ran inside to me---and then the other beagle decided he'd go around the snake since Mom wasn't too happy with it!

I was shaking by this time. I HATE snakes! They give me the creeps. I tried to wake up my teenage son to come kill it---and he wouldn't get up (it was only 9 a.m.!!!) When I came back downstairs, the snake had disappeared!

Now I get to worry about where it is. I won't be going outside without my shoes on today----that's for sure! Let's just pray the snake doesn't strike my dogs when they go out later to potty!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yuck! new
      #190484 - 06/30/05 07:47 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I do NOT like snakes....we get a lot of them because we have a big pond right in our backyard, with a cornfield right behind it!

We do get tons of frogs though, and I LOVE them! They are adorable. Sometimes we get huge bullfrogs stuck in our well window though, and we have to try and get them out with a shovel, it's a pain....

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Yuck! new
      #190493 - 06/30/05 07:53 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yikes!!! I'm not found of snakes but prefer them to big, hairy spiders! I'd be worried though where it slithered off to! When that teenager of yours gets up, send him out looking for it so you don't have to worry about it sneaking up on you or the dogs!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Yuck! new
      #190496 - 06/30/05 07:58 AM
Cara4503

Spiders....eewww...just the thought makes me shiver! I'm SO bad with bugs! And mice....YUCKKKKK!!!

Justin came home one day and I was standing on the kitchen table - I literally had been there for probably an hour before he got home because I saw a mouse in the kitchen. (This was in our apartment - there will be NO mice in this house!! )

As far as spiders go, I CANNOT step on them, freaks me out..I have to spray them with something until they die....I've even used almost a whole bottle of hairspray once when Justin wasn't home...probably not too good for the floor!

Oh - and I check every sheet for spiders EVERY NIGHT before I get in bed - LOL. I will not be part of that statistic that people swallow a lot of bugs in their sleep. At least I'll do everything I can to prevent it

--------------------
~Cara~

Snake did bite dog! Off to vet! Please pray! new
      #190497 - 06/30/05 08:01 AM
BL

Face swollen like a golf ball. CAn see bite. Vet said it sounds like a copperhead snake.

Please pray he's ok.

OH! :( new
      #190500 - 06/30/05 08:05 AM
Cara4503

I hope he's ok! Poor little doggy!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: OH! :( new
      #190505 - 06/30/05 08:11 AM
michele

Oh NO!!!! Poor doggy!!! I hope he is ok, please let us know when you get home!!!

--------------------

Re: Swallow bugs in my sleep??? new
      #190507 - 06/30/05 08:16 AM
michele

Oh YUCK, your going to give me nightmares!!!!!!! Creeeeeppppyyyyy!!! Icckkyyy!!! We actually have paid this year for an exterminator (I call him the terminator!) to spray. We've had problems with ants, bees and earwigs!! Mostly ants and spiders in the house, bees, earwigs and various other creepy crawlys out side. I have lots of garden so, naturally, lots of bugs! The "terminator" guy sprays inside and out and it makes a HUGE difference!!! NO bugs or ants inside at all and only a few stray bees outside. Its kinda exopensive but SO worth it!!! They actually drilled little holes into our walls and sprayed inside the walls to be sure EVERYTHING was DEAD! They came out like once a week for a month, than everyother week for a bit and now just once a month! If I see a bug, I call them and they come right out!

--------------------

LOL!!! new
      #190515 - 06/30/05 08:26 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I check the bed too every night and my husband thinks I'm ridiculous. I mean, I lift up the covers, look between the sheets and covers, pick up all the pillows, shake everything out.....I am terrified of bugs crawling on me when I sleep!! (My main enemy is earwigs!!)

--------------------

Re: Snake did bite dog! Off to vet! Please pray! new
      #190527 - 06/30/05 08:59 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Omg! This post just made me CRY! (PMS and I guess I'm just sensative too!) BL...let us know as SOON as you get back!

We LOVE our pups...they're family! I can't even IMAGINE! I'm sooooooo sorry! Your poor baby *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* and lots of prayers...

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Oh no - let us hear how he is, poor thing!!!! nt new
      #190530 - 06/30/05 09:02 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Back from the vet new
      #190534 - 06/30/05 09:18 AM
BL

Well, the dog was definitely bitten by the snake. The vet could see several fang marks on the side of Mulligan's face. He said he was a very strong dog because he knew he had to be in tremendous pain and yet he let the vet look at his face.

The vet said it sounded like a copperhead. He gave him 2 shots: a steroid shot to stop the spread of the venom and a shot for pain. He also gave me more pain pills to give him the next several days---and an antibiotic to give him for 10 days. He said the fangs have dirt in them and if you don't give them an antibiotic, that the wound can get infected and the tissue can die.

He said to expect his face to swell up even worse before it gets better. And he said sometimes the infected tissue turns black, which will be especially bad because it's on his nose. (my beautiful beagle!)

I'm just so thankful he's going to be ok---and that my other beagle did not get bitten too. (I'm watching her carefully.) I saw her circle the snake after Mulligan did----and I don't think it bit her, but she came awfully close. The vet said these copperheads are mean, and they will strike at most anything that gets in their way.

Now I'm so PARANOID because the snake is still in my backyard!!! I guess I will walk the dogs in the front yard today.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I'm counting my blessings because I usually get the newspaper out of the mailbox and walk into the backyard to get the dogs---in my barefeet every morning. Had I been looking down at the paper and stepped on this snake, well, ......I won't even think about that.

Get animal control out there NOW *DELETED* new
      #190535 - 06/30/05 09:25 AM
Snow for Sarala

Post deleted by Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Get animal control out there NOW new
      #190538 - 06/30/05 09:29 AM
michele

Good idea, Ruchie!! Call animal control!!!!

I'm glad your dog will be ok, poor thing, that had to off hurt. Baby him and feed him lots of treats until he feels better!

--------------------

I'm Sorry About Your Dog But..... new
      #190547 - 06/30/05 09:56 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Please don't kill that snake. It was only doing what came natural to it. I don't blame you for not wanting it around your house but it would be better to call some kind of pest control or humane society to come and remove it properly than to kill the poor thing.

Hope your dog recovers from the bite....I'm sure he'll be just fine once he gets vet treatment.

Edited by Kimm (06/30/05 09:57 AM)

Re: LOL!!! new
      #190549 - 06/30/05 10:01 AM
Kimm

I don't think there's anything that scares me more than earwigs!! Eeek!!

I forgot! Animal control KILLS the snake! Kimm's right... new
      #190551 - 06/30/05 10:02 AM
Snow for Sarala

call the human society. They'll remove the snake without KILLING it!

I'm glad you saw this Kimm...thanks for saving the snake!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I'm almost afraid to ask...what's an earwig? n-t new
      #190553 - 06/30/05 10:03 AM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I'm almost afraid to ask...what's an earwig? n-t new
      #190554 - 06/30/05 10:05 AM
Kimm

It's this longish insect with pinchers on its behind....they are sooooooooo nasty looking and ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Gonna google for a pic... new
      #190555 - 06/30/05 10:06 AM
Snow for Sarala

hope I don't regret it!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Sorry, I don't agree new
      #190556 - 06/30/05 10:08 AM
BL

A harmless snake, I would leave alone,...... but I don't have any problem killing a poisonous one. I want to enjoy living in my backyard without worrying about getting bitten by it. And I won't let anything hurt my babies (my beagles!)

In fact, if I see the thing, I will probably BASH it with a shovel or hoe.

I HATE SNAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Plus, this one cost me $75 at the vet and my beagle a lot of pain.)

I regret it!!! new
      #190557 - 06/30/05 10:09 AM
Snow for Sarala

Those are NASTY!

I grew up with roaches...big ones in FL! In our 1st apt. we had mice or rats...not sure. Last place were spiders. Hope we have NOTHING here!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Animal control won't come out here for a snake! new
      #190558 - 06/30/05 10:16 AM
BL

We live in a big city, and they're too busy with major problems to worry about a little snake. It ain't gonna happen.

I'd leave the thing alone if I had been trampling on its territory (deep in the woods). But it was on MY patio, right next to my house.

Re: Sorry, I don't agree new
      #190559 - 06/30/05 10:17 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I say if you or your dog is in immediate danger then the snake has to be killed. The key word is immediate. Now that it has been awhile I think humanely removing the snake is the best way but as I said if you or your dog is in danger again then it is completely justifiable to defend yourselves by killing it.

--------------------

Re: Animal control won't come out here for a snake! new
      #190563 - 06/30/05 10:24 AM
michele

Who else can you call if animal control won't do it?? Maybe call the zoo or animal shelter and ask them if they have any ideas. I agree, if you can get someone to remove the snale and re-locate it, fine, but you can't have a poisonios snake in your back yard!

--------------------

I'm with you - a poisonous snake in my yard is a dead snake... new
      #190566 - 06/30/05 10:30 AM
ecmmbm

Certain species were not meant to "co-habitate" if you ask me - poisonous snakes and people/kids/pets would fit into that category. Nothing against the snake - he's doing what he was created to do. So am I!

Interesting debate here... I'm an animal lover but I kill wasps, mosquitos ... and poisonous snakes ... and never can say I've felt bad about it.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

mine too!~nt~ new
      #190571 - 06/30/05 10:35 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

You ladies don't understand......... new
      #190583 - 06/30/05 10:54 AM
BL

I have NO IDEA where the snake is!!!

I have a huge backyard (about 3/4ths of an acre), and it's heavily wooded with lots of trees, stumps, pine straw, grass, shrubs, flowers, flowerpots,
birdbaths, wagon, etc.

Looking for the snake would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Unless it reappears on my back porch or in my flowerbed while I'm watering my plants, no one would ever find it!

So much for relaxing on the back porch at dusk with a glass of wine. ....I won't be able to do that for awhile without worrying about where that darn snake is.

Re: Sorry, I don't agree new
      #190584 - 06/30/05 10:54 AM
Kimm

Well I'm sorry to hear that. In my opinion snakes are living things too and deserve respect. Just because they are not cuddly and cute looking to most people doesn't mean they are less deserving of our respect (like all of God's creatures in my opinion).

We are seeing more and more venemous species of snakes being eradicated because people unfortunately do not understand and therefore fear these creatures. They were put on this planet for a reason by God and because of that deserve our respect in my opinion.

I have 2 pet snakes at home and a cat but I love them all and respect them all the same.

Thank you, Michelle new
      #190585 - 06/30/05 10:57 AM
BL

I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me for wanting this *&$%@* snake dead! I'm with you---there are too many little kids in our neighborhood to let this snake go (if I ever see it again.)

A friend of my parents was just bitten by a copperhead----and she almost died. Her entire leg turned black.

I'm just thankful I didn't walk out on the porch this morning in my bare feet---or that my smallest beagle didn't get bitten too! I don't know that her little body could've handled the venom.

Re: You ladies don't understand......... new
      #190586 - 06/30/05 10:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

Did you try the humane society? Or local shelters?

I'm soooo sorry you feel so unsafe in your backyard *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

No, I don't think snakes deserve respect new
      #190589 - 06/30/05 11:03 AM
BL

They are yucky----and I bet most people would agree with me.

I'm a huge dog lover, but I can't stand snakes, roaches---and cats!

To each his own....

Re: No, I don't think snakes deserve respect new
      #190595 - 06/30/05 11:11 AM
Kimm

Wow....I am shocked and I think that most people will actually disagree with you.

I think I will leave it at this to avoid an argument though.

#190596 - 06/30/05 11:13 AM
TommyNY

Yes, I agree with you Kimm on both things. I think iti s best if we leave this subject. Emotions are running a little too high and people's feelings could get hurt.

--------------------

We Must Remember.... new
      #190599 - 06/30/05 11:13 AM
Kimm

I agree it sucks that you feel unsafe in your backyard but we should remember that it was probably the snake that was native to that space and then us humans came in and started building in his habitat....

Where I live you can call a place like the humane society and they will come and remove the snake and release it in a better place where it can't hurt anyone or be hurt by anyone.

Good luck and I hope your dog gets well soon!!

God's exploding creatures new
      #190600 - 06/30/05 11:18 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Get some yummy-looking mice and strap explosives to their backs. Release mice in yard. Detonate the explosives at 2 hour intervals. Wave flag occasionally and say loudly "HA-PPY 4th OF JULY" to avoid arousing suspicion. Keep children and pets indoors during de-snaking. Repeat until animals have fled neighborhood.

~certainly not nelly~

Do alligators eat snakes? new
      #190603 - 06/30/05 11:28 AM
Nelly

Maybe hosting some alligators in your backyard for the weekend would be a good way to let the food chain sort it out. Like 11 or 12 gators would probably do it. Then, around September, the cold weather would drive out the gators. Or maybe some liquid nitrogen would speed up the process.

I have another idea involving gorillas.

~nelly~ I happen to have owned a snake. They hate the cold and gators.

Re: A good morning surprise!!!! new
      #190604 - 06/30/05 11:30 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Yikers!! Good luck sweetie!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

LOL!!!!! new
      #190605 - 06/30/05 11:30 AM
epa_ginger

Earwigs are awful!!! I had one in the shower with me this morning!! I know they are small, and I am more of a threat to them than they are to me, but I swear I get a near heart attack and temporary fury when I see one. If they stayed outside, I'd be fine. But when they invade my shower, I get angry!! Last week, I felt something on my shoulder, thought it was a stray hair....nope, an earwig! By the end of last summer, I nearly needed therapy. I was hoping this summer would be better....

And Ruchie, I hear you on roaches. A few years ago when I was living with my parents, my boyfriend was sleeping over (my parents are pretty liberal in that area), and I was mostly asleep, opened my eyes, and saw one crawling up my body to my head!! I flipped out, was hysterically crying, and I made my boyfriend tear the room apart to find it. (We had never seen them before). For weeks, I slept with the sheets, AND comforters tucked under the mattress, terrified. To this day, I can barely think of that day. I was inconsolable.
I really do hate bugs.

--------------------

#190606 - 06/30/05 11:31 AM
ecmmbm

Gee, I'm surprised at how this is turning out, too - I dont' feel the slightest bit emotional in my comments but certainly dont' want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I am all for pet snakes and non-venomous snakes, we let black snakes go all the time. I just dont' think it's wrong to kill a poisonous snake unless you can safely transport it far enough from your home that you are not in danger of it ever returning. Most of us are not in any position to be able to do that, safely, and pest control/etc is unfortunately not concerned enough to come take care of it, so we kill it. Out in the wild would be a different story.

Great thought provoking thread! Hope that's all it's been, certainly NOT worth anyone getting upset over or anything!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Good point, ecmmbm! -nt- new
      #190608 - 06/30/05 11:32 AM
Nelly

I think it's odd new
      #190626 - 06/30/05 12:49 PM
BL

that a "debate" started about whether or not I should kill the snake. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I wasn't asking for anyone's opinion (or permission) to kill the snake. I was asking for prayer for my very sick dog.

It WILL be dead if I see it again!

You can "discuss" it all you want, but I have too many young children and pets playing in my backyard to leave it be.

But Nelly, I'm terrified of mice and alligators too..... new
      #190627 - 06/30/05 12:53 PM
BL

and my smallest beagle is frightened of fireworks! (a flash- back to her days when she was forced by a hunter to hunt).

Maybe my husband will run over the snake with the lawnmower, and then I can enjoy my pretty patio again.

Re: I think it's odd new
      #190635 - 06/30/05 01:03 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

That's the problem with posting on a message board to a bunch of strangers- it becomes open for public discussion. Sometimes the conversation goes off in different ways than we would have expected, but you know, meaning is made both through the originator and the receiver!

Haha- I'm not alone! new
      #190639 - 06/30/05 01:09 PM
Cara4503

My hubby makes fun or me for lifting every sheet before I get it. But I HAVE found spiders before! I would just DIE if I got into bed and one crawled on me. I do NOT do good with bugs crawling on me.

One time my mom was washing out some clothes in the laundry room in this huge sink we used to have. Our laundry room was in the crawl space practically...very scary room in the corner of the basement...anyways - the sink wouldn't drain, so she finally stuck her hand down there and thought she felt a ball. So she pulled it up, and it was a mouse!! She said she screamed so loud and for so long that her neighbors came over and one almost called the police. LOL. So I guess I get it from my mom...

--------------------
~Cara~

BL... new
      #190645 - 06/30/05 01:13 PM
Cara4503

Is he doing any better?? Did the swelling go down?? I hope so That makes me so sad! Poor little guy.

Emeril was wrestling in the basment today with Rocco, and he ran into a corner and slit open a little part of his ear!! He cried for so long that I was crying! I held ice on it and he eventually was ok and wrestling again...but I just hate it when they are hurt! Imagine how I'll be with a baby if I'm crying over my pup

Oh - and if a poisenous snake was in my backyard, it'd be dead in a heartbeat. Wouldn't even think twice, because I'd much rather have a dead snake than an injured or dead child.

--------------------
~Cara~

You just made me laugh out loud at my desk!!--nt new
      #190653 - 06/30/05 01:19 PM
epa_ginger

--------------------

I almost screamed just reading that! --nt-- new
      #190658 - 06/30/05 01:28 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: A good morning surprise!!!! new
      #190659 - 06/30/05 01:30 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

If that snake were in my yard, biting my dog, it would be a very dead snake. I'm with you. God did create all the creatures, but He also gave man dominion over them!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Cara and Amanda new
      #190679 - 06/30/05 02:10 PM
BL

Good to know I'm not the only one who wouldn't hesitate to get rid of this snake. Yeah, dominion over him! I like that!

Mulligan is going to be ok, I guess. He's just so pitiful. The swelling has gone down, but his eyes are very dilated and he acts drunk when he walks. Don't know if that's the medicine or what.

I found out that another dog in my neighborhood was bitten by a copperhead about 2 years ago and he came out of it ok.
But I hate it when my doggies are sick.

Cara, I hope Emeril is ok. They are like babies because they depend on us for everything. You are going to make a terrific Mom. How are you feeling? Any better?

Re: But Nelly, I'm terrified of mice and alligators too..... new
      #190680 - 06/30/05 02:18 PM
Nelly

*SNARFING UP CHAMOMILLE* ROFL! Snake parts flying through the air...! *sob with laughter*

~nelly~

LOL! new
      #190683 - 06/30/05 02:25 PM
Cara4503

Isn't it embarrassing when you laugh out loud at your desk?!? I used to do that all the time!! Haha.

My mom is a character...she gets scared SO easily. I shouldn't talk because I do too.
Here's another one about her -- if we ever came home from school and she was vacuuming, there was NO WAY to get around scaring her. If you just went up to her and yelled over the vacuum she would have a heart attack. My sister did that once and my mom turned around, screamed, and then pushed my sister really hard - not yet realizing who it was...
So we decided never to go up to her and surprise her while she was vacuuming....SO then we decided we should just hide and wait until she was done, and she turned it off. Then we would yell, "mom I'm home!" and she would still have a heart attack and scream, and say, 'DONT DO THAT!'

It was a lose-lose situation....

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Cara and Amanda new
      #190684 - 06/30/05 02:27 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I don't think I would kill the snake. I would probably be too busy running away from it! Now my Mom, on the other hand...I've seen that woman go after garter snakes with a shovel.

If it was a spider...well, I'd probably be even busier screaming while running away. Has anyone noticed how spiders shrink when you show them to somebody else?

Re: Cara and Amanda new
      #190686 - 06/30/05 02:30 PM
Cara4503

Aww...little Mulligan is drunk on his meds! I'm glad he'll be ok. Emeril is fine...he was just bleeding for awhile. I think he'll have a little scar on his ear! His ears are my favorite thing on him...they are so cute and floppy. I need to get a video camera and record him, he could win us money on Funniest Home Videos. I've never met a dog with a funnier personality!

I'm doing much better so far...haven't thrown up for 4 nights! Well, I guess I did last night, but that was from brushing my teeth, not nausea. These new meds make me REALLY tired, but I don't care as long as they work!
I am in such a better mood now that I saw my baby and am not throwing up every night. I can't wait to paint the baby's room! Thanks for saying I'll be a good mom....I appreciate that Justin is going to be a wonderful dad too, he is so good with kids, so caring, and God fearing. Love him to bits!

--------------------
~Cara~

LOL new
      #190687 - 06/30/05 02:34 PM
Cara4503

Yeah, I personally couldn't kill it - heck I can hardly step on an ant without squirming! But I would call someone or get a neighbor to do it - and fast. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to go outside for a long time.

All spiders are HUGE to me - haha...I call most of them tarantulas no matter what they are.

--------------------
~Cara~

Snorkie new
      #190688 - 06/30/05 02:36 PM
BL

Yes, I didn't say I thought I COULD actually kill a snake, just that I thought I better TRY. I know I'd probably be trembling so bad that I'd miss----over and over again!

I can't even kill a spider without missing because I'm so scared of it. So a poisonous snake~! I was hoping my teenage son would get it for me, but I couldn't wake him up this morning.

Last year, I was watering my flowers and a snake slithered out of the bushes onto my bare feet! Yikes! Did I drop that hose and run.

I will probably have nighmares about snakes tonight. We need to change the subject to something more pleasant.

Snorkie new
      #190689 - 06/30/05 02:36 PM
BL

Yes, I didn't say I thought I COULD actually kill a snake, just that I thought I better TRY. I know I'd probably be trembling so bad that I'd miss----over and over again!

I can't even kill a spider without missing because I'm so scared of it. So a poisonous snake~! I was hoping my teenage son would get it for me, but I couldn't wake him up this morning.

Last year, I was watering my flowers and a snake slithered out of the bushes onto my bare feet! Yikes! Did I drop that hose and run.

I will probably have nighmares about snakes tonight. We need to change the subject to something more pleasant.

Re:Incrediable shrinking spiders new
      #190690 - 06/30/05 02:41 PM
michele

Boy, I'm SO glad someone else has notice this!!! I was at work one time and there was this HUGE hairy spider in the back room. I couldn't stand the thought of it crawling around and not knowing where it was but it was WAY to big for me to squish! I had to go next door and get a guy to come quish it for me and even he recoiled at the sight of it!! ICK!!!!!!!

--------------------

Glad to hear Mulligan is OK... new
      #190693 - 06/30/05 03:11 PM
poochibelly

Gee is your husband a golfer by any chance? Mine takes "mulligans" all the time!

You will always have my support on the snake/spider issue. It did get somewhat emotional but every one is entitled to their own opinion. I did a "Cara" and perched on my kitchen counter when a mouse ran over my foot...we lived near a wooded area and a mouse decided he wanted to move in. Along came D-con and the mouse went bye bye!

--------------------

Re: I think it's odd new
      #190701 - 06/30/05 03:41 PM
TommyNY

Well the great thing about the boards is that you can give an opinion without being asked to give one. Then again, thats the NYer in me. I will give an opinion whenever I want.

--------------------

Rachel new
      #190711 - 06/30/05 04:11 PM
BL

Yes, my husband and one of our sons are huge golfers (0 handicap and captain of the golf team at high school), so when we adopted the beagle from the rescue society, my husband thought that would be an appropriate name for a dog that was getting a second chance with a family!

It is the perfect name for him, although the neighborhood kids have a hard time pronouncing it. We tried calling him "Mully" for short, but stopped that when the kids thought we were saying "Molly." (We couldn't have someone thinking our boy dog was a girl!)

Mice! No, I couldn't handle those in my house. As a child, we lived behind farmland and mice would sometimes get in our house. I remember my Mom screaming when she saw one in the kitchen. We used the traps too!

How many of us are going to dream about mice, spiders and snakes tonight?~nt~ new
      #190716 - 06/30/05 04:20 PM
poochibelly

--------------------

Cara, so glad you are feeling better new
      #190727 - 06/30/05 04:52 PM
BL

It's so nice to know that you are now enjoying your pregnancy, instead of throwing up all the time!

Re: Rachel new
      #190735 - 06/30/05 05:25 PM
chinagrl

The name thing is funny! People always get our dog's name wrong- it's Cara (because she's caramel colored) but due to regional weirdness, people think that should be pronounced like car-uh instead of care-uh. And we had a doorman once who thought her name was Carrot!!

I'm glad your doggies ok too, BL. I would be completely hysterical if any of my pets were bitten by a Copperhead.

#190744 - 06/30/05 05:55 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

We have a foundation problem in our house, and we get snakes in the house (we live out in the country). They mostly stay in the crawl space, but they do get upstairs. They are non-poisonous snakes, so we catch them and take them over the river and release them there. We haven't had too many this year, but we used to get large batches in spring & fall, probably a total of 60-80 snakes per year.

I don't mind them that much anymore, but yes, they are creepy. We really don't have poisonous snakes here in Iowa (except rattlers, but I'm in the wrong part of the state for those), but if we ever did get one it would be dead.

I hope you find that copperhead! If you do want to look for it, snakes like to sun themselves -- they like paved roads/walks, stones, anything that's in the sun and retains the heat. They also stick to tall grass, so make your husband keep the grass trimmed short! Good luck, and I'm glad your dogs are OK.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Car-a new
      #190801 - 07/01/05 06:05 AM
Cara4503

That bugs me!!!!!! My name is pronounced Care-a, and people either say Car-a, or they spell it with a K.

I think you are the second person on the boards to have a dog named Cara! LOL. Makes me feel REAL good! Haha.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Car-a new
      #190814 - 07/01/05 07:49 AM
chinagrl

Nah, I think I'm the only one with a dog Cara, though I could be wrong.

And you should be flattered- she's the prettiest, greatest dog ever.

#190842 - 07/01/05 10:18 AM
Cara4503

Maybe it was you I was thinking of then - lol Ok so there's only one dog named Cara...I'm glad she's a good dog!

--------------------
~Cara~

Some Snake Pics...hee hee new
      #190865 - 07/01/05 11:31 AM
Kimm

Since we're on the subject of snake I thought I'd share a couple pics of my babies!!

Re: Some Snake Pics...hee hee new
      #190870 - 07/01/05 11:39 AM
TommyNY

Although I would not have a snake as a pet, yours look really cool Kimm! What are their names?

--------------------

#190892 - 07/01/05 12:53 PM
Kimm

The Ball Python (the darker one) ... is named Bailey

The Green Tree Python (the lighter one) ... is Jade

#190939 - 07/01/05 05:06 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

OMG I'm SOOOOOOOOO sorry. When I say your name to myself that is I pronounce it Car-a. I think it really depends on where you are from. If I were from Philly I'd pronounce it Care-a. My mom says for the name Terry...Turry and I say it like Tare-y. Sheri by mom would be Shurrie and I say Share-y. We say for water... wudder.

Now that we have Lisa's lesson for the day

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#190941 - 07/01/05 05:09 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

No, no snakes for pets in our house either but give it time. I have two boys and somehow I believe that they will go through that "snake phase". Believe it or not, I'm more freaked out by Ticks than I am snakes. They make me go wild!!! What is their purpose on this planet anyway? They don't eat any bugs, they only suck blood! I think they are the devil's bug.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#190970 - 07/01/05 07:07 PM
chinagrl

Oh, I hate ticks too! I worked as a camp counselor for a summer and I was always having to deal with them- on me and the kids. This one time we had this crazy drama queen girl, who, believe it or not- managed to get a tick stuck to her eyelid!!! We were convinced she'd put it there on purpose to get attention. They were such a pain.

#190989 - 07/01/05 09:31 PM
Patricia Buzo

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: Minnesota

Kim your snakes are BEAUTIFUL!! Aren't they sweet?? I love snakes, but respect the venemous ones. Although if my doggie got bitten I'd have to take action (humane action).

--------------------
Patricia Buzo
IBS-C and Crohn's Disease

I agree with you on the earwigs! new
      #190998 - 07/01/05 10:27 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

We have a serious earwig problem in our apartment, we're on the ground floor and there must be a nest or something outside our patio door because at night they come inside. I've found them on furniture, all over the carpet, and even on the ceiling! (really creeped me out)

They apparently don't even bite or cause any harm, but they're just so nasty looking I just jump every time I see one

#191006 - 07/02/05 05:30 AM
Cara4503

Don't be sorry!! lol. It's differnet for you guys who don't live here!
My real name is actually CaraLynn - pronounced like Carolyn, but it obviously just got shortened by most people. My family and some friends still call me Caralynn, I'm so used to both.

That's interesting about the 'u' sound!

Here it's just the redneck accent you hear - like 'creek' is 'crick', 'wash' is 'war-sh', etc. I think it's cute, I love the country. I grew up in Chicago, and still have that Chicago accent pretty strong......everyone makes fun of me when I say 'Chicago' because of the 'a' - I guess I sound weird but I don't hear it!

Accents are interesting, I love it!

--------------------
~Cara~

I shouldn't have looked! new
      #191027 - 07/02/05 06:34 AM
BL

Now the hair on my arms is standing straight up! I won't sleep tonight!

YIKES!

#191045 - 07/02/05 09:21 AM
Kimm

Thank you!!

Yes they are very sweet. The ball python (the darker one) has the sweetest personality ever and would never hurt a fly....she's very gentle with people and she's turned even the most terrified people into snake lovers!!

#191054 - 07/02/05 10:14 AM
chinagrl

Your green snake looks just like the one on the cover of Verdi, the kid's book. It's super pretty.

Wowee! new
      #191086 - 07/02/05 01:46 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Snakes like that are so cool. What kind are they? The most beautiful snake I ever saw was an albino python - it was this gorgeous yellow-gold and white.

Btw, BL - if I met a snake in the wild whilst on foot I would possibly die of fright! I like the one's I know are pets!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 229 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25761

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review