All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Update on my son.
      #18965 - 08/29/03 06:19 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I took my eight year old, Brandon, to the doctor yesterday and the doctor said he has tics. There is nothing we can do about it and the doc said not to draw attention to it. If Brandon begins jerky movements or vocal noises than the doc said to bring back him. That indicates Tourettes. Tourettes does run on my husband's side of the family, so we need to keep an eye on that.
It wouldn't surprise me if he has IBS - Heather had it at a young age. I'll be making dietry changes for him.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Update on my son. new
      #19005 - 08/29/03 11:52 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I hope everything works out for your son. I know you have been worried about him lately. And I hope he has a good school year! Hugs!

#19132 - 08/30/03 05:48 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, Barbara -

Be encouraged: the doctor probably already told you that it's not terribly uncommon for young boys to develop tics - and they usually outgrow them by puberty. A dear one in my life developed tics at age 6, doctor scared his mom by saying "watch out for vocalizing, outbursts, etc - probably Tourette's"! NOT! He's a bright, healthy teenager now - no problems, praise God. Our family just decided to trust God with the child and not to give in to our fears every time we observed the tic. There were a couple of years of the tic but they grew less noticeable and eventually disappeared. Praying that God will watch over your son and bring your family through this with peace and joy, all glory to God!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#19135 - 08/30/03 06:48 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Thanks Kaybee! My biggest fear isn't Tourettes, but getting teased at school. I hope kids don't make fun of him, because he really is sweet boy and bright and hate to see teasing scar him.
As I'm writing this I realize I need to turn this over to God and feel comfort knowing God is in control of this. It is good to know other people are out there praying too.

#19154 - 08/30/03 08:10 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Barbara,

I'll be thinking of you and yours. I think it's a great idea to make the dietary changes. Let's face it, the IBS diet is healthy for anyone who follows it, not just IBS sufferers so it will only do him good.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#19289 - 09/01/03 02:42 PM
KaybeeC

Barbara, as I read your reply, the Lord immediately brought to my mind the story of how King David asked if there was anyone left of Saul's household to whom he could show kindness - and Saul's servant brought Jonathan's son, Mephibosheth, who was lame, to David. David made a place for the young man at his table and decreed that all of Saul's wealth now belonged to him (Mephibosheth) and Saul's servants would serve him. (2 Samuel 9). I'm praying right now in Jesus' name that God will graciously provide an advocate like David - a "best friend" - for your son, and that others will be drawn into that circle of friendship as well. I pray that his sweet spirit will be a magnet for love and friendship and the tics will go unnoticed. May the LORD bless him and keep him and you in perfect peace!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

P.S.:.....felt the same way...... new
      #19290 - 09/01/03 02:50 PM
KaybeeC

.....years ago when the child I loved was exhibiting tics - and the doctor had brought up (and not gently) the possiblity of Tourette's. I got the news over the phone and I just fell to my knees, weeping, and said that I would be his friend forever - because I knew that Tourette's could be so terribly isolating and lonely. This was before I was a Christian but even then, I knew "about" God. I did a little research - even though I was afraid of what I might find out - and was filled with peace (that could only have come from God) and assurance that, just as you said, God was in control. I remember telling the child's mother that "God will take care of ... " and she said, "That's just what my husband said, too." Again, I pray that God will "cement" that peace in your heart....that He is in control and has His everlasting arms underneath your son.

Blessings,
Kaybee C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 604 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1719

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review