All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Next phase in the potty training saga.....
      #187746 - 06/21/05 08:42 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

OK. I went onto some web boards and I got this idea. Liam is still having 5 - 6 accidents a day. Some days, he stays dry all day, and the next day, nothing but accidents. He's pooping again in his pants, when he was happily pooping in the potty for a while. So, we went to the dollar store. He picked a whole bunch of prizes. We got home, opened them all up, and put them in a box. I printed off a potty training chart off a website. We have checkpoints at lunch, suppertime and bedtime. Everytime he stays dry by the checkpoints he gets a star to put on the chart. And everytime he gets two stars, he gets to pick a prize from the box. I let both him and Quinlan pick a prize from the box when we got home. Let's hope this works, because nothing else has! I'm tired of being the Maytag Queen!
We tried getting him to scheduled potty visits, and when he refused, he had an accident. Then he refused, just as a power struggle. Now, I said that it's totally up to him. I told him he can go whenever he wants, and if he stays dry, he gets the rewards. Cheer for me, I need the encouragement. I'm so frustrated. We started this in FEBRUARY and he STILL hasn't gotten this! He starts school in September and I'm terrified he'll be teased if he isn't potty trained by then! Help! Any suggestions?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Next phase in the potty training saga..... new
      #187750 - 06/21/05 08:50 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

That sounds really frustrating! How old is he? I know it's supposedly harder with boys. My brother used to have "accidents" way after he was trained though, kind of a way of acting out when things were hectic or stressful (my dad worked on wall street and was kind of a loose cannon back then -- not abusive, just grumpy and loud). Anyway I know my mom potty trained me over a summer, by telling me that I simply could not wear a diaper in the pool. I knew enough not to pee or poop in the pool, so it just kind of carried over to when I wasn't in a bathing suit. You might try that with him, maybe. I think the idea of it being "up to him" whether he gets a star or not is a good idea, assuming he actually has the physical control. Sounds like he does, since he has accident-free days.
Good luck!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#187751 - 06/21/05 08:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh boy Alicia, it sounds like a struggle! As you know, I don't have any personal expierence in this but the new "system" you started sounds like a good one! Now, you just have to STICK TO IT!! Hang in there! Big Hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I think it's a great plan - let me hear how it works!!! nt new
      #187801 - 06/21/05 10:11 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

so clever! new
      #187888 - 06/21/05 01:28 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

sounds great Han, its bound to work, there's nothing like bribery and encouragement to get kiddies to behave

I saw a lovely book in a bookstore (where else?) lately called " I need to pee" I searched on amazon but couldn't find it, it was about needing to pee and what to do "like a big kid" and there was a chart in it like you are describing.

good luck!

--------------------
S.

#187905 - 06/21/05 01:44 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I think it sounds like a great idea. I may have to steal it if I need the help with my little guy!

#187937 - 06/21/05 03:28 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

That totally worked for me. If I recall correctly, at the completion of potty training I got a small plastic grocery shopping cart (why did I want that? I do not know.) My parents were always super big on the reward approach- with grades and everything!

#188136 - 06/22/05 07:16 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Wow! When all else fails bribe then LOL - That's what my girlfriend finally did with her daughter and it worked like a charm.

I will keep my fingers crossed that it works now!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#188142 - 06/22/05 07:23 AM
chinagrl

Yeah, my dad is in advertising and he was always big on the incentive plans. It totally worked though- especially the importance of school and grades. My sister and I are both getting PhDs!

Re:My bro got his PhD.... new
      #188179 - 06/22/05 08:22 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

My brother just finished his PhD in the fall of 2003. Couldn't be prouder. Me, I just did the double bachelors. Always sort of think what if? I had gone ahead with a master's degree. Would have done it in conducting I think. (Honours Bachelor degree in Music, Bachelor of Education)There's always the road not taken, isn't there?

--------------------

Re:My bro got his PhD.... new
      #188234 - 06/22/05 09:08 AM
chinagrl

Oh yeah! I often ponder what life would be like if I had gotten a real job... with a salary... and sick days... and insurance... and maternity leave... ah well.

#188711 - 06/23/05 02:24 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hang in there with the potty training. Some kids are harder than others and who knows why.

A friend of mine son, who is 21/2 decided last week no more diapers and is using the toilet. Her 5 year old daughter was another story and was over 3 before potty training.

My boys potty trained around 21/2. My aunt told me to buy cloth diapers and the plastic pants to go over them. That will allow Liam to feel when he has to go potty and protect his clothes. My younger ones potty trained in TX and they ran butt naked in the back yard. We had a 6 foot fence, so we had all the privacy we needed.

The funny thing my boys like to do was aim at the fire ant piles. The fire ants actually moved and didn't have too many to worry about our backyard.

#188720 - 06/23/05 02:48 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Thanks. I'm just panicking because he's almost 4 and goes to JK in September. He just doesn't GET the wet sensation signal. He just wets himself completely. He doesn't seem to be able to stop it in time to run to the potty. I'm so frustrated over this whole thing. Wish me luck - I really need it.
Today I gave him a star and not two minutes after he wet his pants. Sigh.

--------------------

#188981 - 06/24/05 05:17 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Alicia don't panick - your son will get it. He may be embrass when he sees his peers wearing big boy underwear and he is still wearing pull ups.

Hang in tight - this is another parent milestone to have to survive. You had to survive much worse.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 783 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2956

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review