All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
Re: !@?!@?#?@?#?#@/ new
      #192105 - 07/06/05 06:20 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Sorry to hear the condo wasn't a good fit for you. We have been where you are and is frusuating to not have the money there.

You two will find the right place and good luck with it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Ah, well.... new
      #192113 - 07/06/05 06:31 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

the numbers don't lie right?? Aren't you glad to have someone who can crunch the numbers?? If I didn't have my husband to do all the financial figuring, I would have been lost. I would have had to ask my dad!! I just don't have a head for that kind of stuff.
Well, you're doing the right thing, at least you know. You'll find another place!!

--------------------

Re: !@?!@?#?@?#?#@/ new
      #192145 - 07/06/05 07:23 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Don't blame you one bit. Sounds like you made the right decision. A tough one, but the right one. Have faith, the right place will come along for you. Just have patience. Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Shell----How NOT to buy a house new
      #192150 - 07/06/05 07:29 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm sorry it didn't work out. I know you're disappointed, but it sounds like you made the right decision. You two have a very level head on your shoulders. Good for you for crunching the numbers and using some restraint! Most couples your age would've just bought it ---and worried about the cost later.

When my husband and I bought our first house, we had NO idea what we were doing. We did all the wrong things---we bought on a whim, when interest rates were sky high, in a new subdivision where the developer later went bankrupt. To top that off, the economy in that area plummented, every house on the block went up for sale, and my husband lost his job. We had to take a big loss on the house---or face foreclosure. We bit the bullet and took a loss on it(so as not to ruin our financial record), but it took us YEARS to financially recover from it. Boy, what a hard lesson that was for us to learn!

(Oh, I almost forgot. The septic system didn't work and we had no recourse since the developer was out of business. So we paid out of our pockets to have that redone.)

But what we did learn was----never buy on a whim, check out the neighborhood (builder, developer, etc.) thoroughly, and LOCATION is everything!

To make matters worse, several years later, we had it happen to us AGAIN. (We're slow learners!) We picked out a lot in a new subdivision and built a beautiful house. After about half the lots had been developed, the developer sold the remaining lots to a builder who put up "track" houses. So here we had a custom house surrounded by cheaper homes! A company transfer saved us from a big loss (just in the nick of time), but our friends who stayed were not so fortunate.

Needless to say, as a result, neither one of us will even look at a house that has an empty lot anywhere near it (and we never take a realtor's word when they comment on what's going in around the house!) We only buy in the MIDDLE of a very ESTABLISHED neighborhood so that we know what is surrounding our home. We don't want any surprises!

Some very unfortunate residents here are now facing the construction of a Super Wal-Mart behind their very upscale neighborhood. The empty land was zoned residential when they moved in, but the county has now rezoned it commercial.

Just the other night, at a Fourth of July party, we listened to couples discuss buying houses as an investment (for rental property) because as they said, "real estate values ALWAYS go up!" My husband said to me on the way home, "Thank goodness we went through what we did because we learned that that's not always the case."

I didn't mean to write a book on the subject of real estate, but I hope maybe this might help someone AVOID the mistakes we made.

Re: Well said, Beaglelover, new
      #192155 - 07/06/05 07:40 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

We were lucky. When John and I built our house, be built in the town we grew up in, chose the builder by reputation, and chose the neighbourhood carefully. We only had neighbours on one side that hadn't been built and we took a gamble and were lucky. Our builder had bought the lots across the street so we knew they would be well built homes. It was funny. My husband and I were married 2 years when we built our first home, and we were so sick of moving that we built a home that we wanted to live in for a LONG time. Never regret it. With housing costs now, we could easily sell it for at least $40 or $50,000 more than we built it for in 99. But we put a lot into it, a deck ($10,000, and 2 basement rooms $10,000). Enough of my rant. Small town living is easier, I think. It's easier to know what to expect.

--------------------

Guess what? new
      #192167 - 07/06/05 08:08 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I just had the best nights sleep I have had in two weeks.... I know we made the right choice!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Guess what? new
      #192170 - 07/06/05 08:14 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Good girl. The right one will come along. I just know it!!!!! Be patient.

--------------------

That's good new
      #192212 - 07/06/05 09:46 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm glad to know you got some sleep. Your mind does churn continuously when you have these BIG things on your mind!

Just relax now.

new listings..... new
      #192216 - 07/06/05 09:48 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Will just watch for new listing now.... none since Sat...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re:Yah Shell! new
      #192238 - 07/06/05 10:40 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Glad you slept better. We had terrible thunderstorms AGAIN last night and the dog was pacing, I was awake, hubby was tossing. It was terrible!

Amazing how not having sleep makes ya feel

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 47256

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review