All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HELP! My hair is falling out!
      #187497 - 06/20/05 01:13 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I am so disgusted with doctors (and medications) right now. The past several weeks I have noticed that my hair is falling out---in unusually large amounts. Not clumps, but everytime I blow dry my hair, the white tile in our bathroom is covered with my hair!!! I am getting alarmed!

I think it probably was the Geodon the doctor had me try awhile back. (Hair loss is listed as a side effect) It has been 4 weeks since I discontinued it. Why hasn't this stopped? I have very fine hair and can't stand to lose this much!

I asked the pharmacist about drugs causing hair loss and he said it should stop once you stop the med, but in this case, it hasn't. He also said a fluctuation in hormones could cause it, and I did take progesterone tablets for 10 days after I took the Geodon.

DANG IT! I am so mad at myself for ever letting this doctor talk me into taking the Geodon. I didn't even get the prescription filled. I just took the 2-week of samples he gave me. It caused a manic episode, messed up my menstrual cycle ---and now this! And one night while taking it, I was watching tv and felt like I was going to black out. The feeling came and went several times. That scared me to death so I quit taking it.

I told the doctor about the hair loss, and he didn't say anything. He just recorded it in my chart and looked at me like "hear she goes complaining again."

I'm thoroughly disgusted with the medical profession. I'd rather be manic or depressed than have all of these side effects. I'm really going to be depressed if I lose all my hair!

Anyone have any experience with a medication causing hair loss? Any encouragement/suggestions/hugs you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to keep my sense of humor, but it's not funny. Now I'm not only going to be fat, but I'm going to be bald too!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP! My hair is falling out! new
      #187508 - 06/20/05 01:36 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

BL,

I also have thin hair so I can sympathize with you. Anything that made my hair fall out would be very upsetting to me. I haven't taken any meds that had this side effect but I know exactly how you are feeling about taking meds.

I just stopped taking Zoloft because I was gaining weight and not really eating anymore than usual. I bought a bigger pair of jeans a couple of weeks ago because all of my pants were getting too tight and when I put them on the other day for the first time they were too tight. I stopped taking that stuff that very day.

Sorry to get off on a story but I wanted you to know I understand you not wanting to take meds because of the side effects. Docs can be a pain too. The understanding ones are few and far between it seems.

Lots of hugs,

--------------------
Janey

Talk with your hairstylist-they might have some ideas new
      #187524 - 06/20/05 01:55 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Stress will also cause you to lose you hair. After a car accident, I started losing my hair as a result of trying to cope with the back pain, working full-time jobs and trying to finish up my final year of my masters. I "shedded" for a few weeks and was just frantic. My hair stylist was really helpful in referring me to a shampoo called Nioxin. Supposedly it stimulated the hair to grow back and it worked really well. From what I understand it isn't like Rogaine. It has a really strong peppermint smell. I know you can get it at numerous salons.

Hope it helps.

-Michelle

#187673 - 06/20/05 10:15 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hey BL! The hair falling out has happened to me also, I had to finally cut some whispy little bang things across the front and sides of my face to counter the hair loss. But, have you had your thyroid checked lately? You may need to do that, my sister is having terrible trouble, her nails are splitting vertically and she has to wear bandaids on them. She is going to a THyroidologist soon. My hair is falling out in the shower by the handful. I have lots and lots of thick hair, it won't hurt me too much. But, I would like to see it stop.
Hugs to you honey, hope it gets better soon! gayla

#187679 - 06/21/05 04:22 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. My hair has fallen out in clumps before due to Depakote. I just cut it really short. It was actually very cute. I hope that you don't have to deal with this very long, but do know that things will be better.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Sailing away new
      #187691 - 06/21/05 06:18 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Thanks for the suggestion about the shampoo. I am going to call my hairstylist today and ask about it. I appreciate it!

#188010 - 06/21/05 06:50 PM
NikkiM

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: Albany, NY

About 3 years ago I had hair loss for 3 months due to a birth control pill. It was terrifying at the time, so I know how you feel. It will grow back though...just keep telling yourself that!!

#188014 - 06/21/05 06:54 PM
emma-lee

Reged: 05/20/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You don't have to do this, but you could try dabbing a bit of olive oil on the emptier spots. My mom had the same problem, for other reasons, and it grew back. You don't haves to, but it's just a suggestion.

--------------------
Em*

I have this too new
      #189227 - 06/26/05 10:09 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I've lost like 50 % of the hair on my head, and I always had fine hair to start out with. This is devastating for a woman. I am not vain, but it is hard to see your hair falling out as your hair becomes thinner and thinner.

I'm not even on any of the meds you are on, BL. So, don't be too quick to blame the med. But then, we could have the same symptom but not the same cause I guess.

My thyroid checked out okay...so mine is either from stress, klonopin and/or lexapro (or any of the previous ADs I've tried...but I would think it would have stopped by now if it was one of them), or any of my supplements.

Can stress really cause me to lose hair so severely...I'm talking clogged drains, all over the bathroom and kitchen floors, in my carpets, cars...on the shoulders of my clothes, in my hands when I comb my hair...

Nothing will make it stop...and woman baldness does not run in my family. My grandma who is 87 still has a healthy head of hair!

I tried the Nioxin for about a year now...and it does nothing for me. I lose just as much and I lose even more money as it is expensive. Even the people at the beauty shop said this shampoo will not grow hair, but it is suppose to stop it from falling out. Not in my case, though. It keeps coming ou. I'm scared one day I will be bald.

I'm too young to be bald! I've honestly though about wigs or hair weaves,,,but the hairstylist said it wasn't to that point yet.

Has anyone heard of rubbing oil on your scalp? One of my coworkers said they do that in her family to the babies to stimulate hair growth.

Anyhow, I sympathize with you...and it you find anything that works, let me know....Maybe part of it for me is that I eat so low fat? I have gallbladder problems which dictates a very low fat diet...plus, fat is a big problem for my tummy anyhow. But I don't want to lose all my hair either.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#189492 - 06/27/05 09:45 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I know not egttign enough protein in your diet can cause hair loss. Is this a possibility?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 294 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1044

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review