All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
One More Day......
      #185009 - 06/09/05 07:36 AM
Stephany

Reged: 06/07/05

I've just joined this forum in the last few days after finding it during a search for all Colonoscopy-related information. It is the most positive site that I've found in that everyone is supportive and the focus isn't about all of the "horrible" risks of having a Colonoscopy.

My mother-in-law's best friend died in the middle of a Colonoscopy a couple of years ago and nobody knows very much yet except that there was apparently a perforation. But, my doctor said that people don't die right away from a perforation and that there must be more to the story. But, everyone I know knew the woman and they are warning me not to get a Colonoscopy.

I am so scared that I am already having symptoms that I expected to have after I start the prep later on. I feel as though I am going to do something wrong and it's going to cause me to have a terrible reaction to the medications tomorrow or that my insides are so sensitive that it makes me more suseptible to a perforation. I am a worrier by nature. I always make everything much worse than it is...I do this quietly to myself...not to everyone else. I have been anticipating the worst which may be good, because the Colonoscopy can't be any worse than what I have made it out to be. I do have bad reactions to many medications and the doctor knows them all. But, I have visions of being violently ill from the Phospho-soda prep and I am scared that I will not be able to get through the process.

I have had symptoms for many years, but they have changed recently. I was told I probably had IBS many years ago and I hung onto that. I have had stomach problems and bright red bleeding for years and the bleeding has been attributed to Hemmorhoids. But, this is my first Colonoscopy and naturally, I'm worried.

Last year, a doctor decided I was Gluten-intolerant and put me on a Gluten-free diet. He had done a blood test and, even though it didn't show Celiac, he decided I should be on the diet. It was a difficult diet to be on and it was very binding. At first, I liked it because I wasn't going to the bathroom after every meal. But, I eventually found myself struggling to have a bowel movement and even resorting to prunes and prune juice and that wasn't really helping. A few months ago, I began having what I thought was a stomach virus, but it hasn't gone away. I had to run to the bathroom upon waking and I have stomach cramps. I had blood and stool tests and nothing came up. The gastro doctor (who I have just started seeing) told me to get off the Gluten-free diet and he gave me Librax, Florastor, Annusol HC suppositories (because I began having severe rectal pain deep inside), and Benefiber. He also scheduled the Colonoscopy. The symptoms get better and worse, depending upon my stress level, I think...which is at an all time high right now...not only due to the Colonoscopy tomorrow, but we had a tragic death in the family two days ago.

There is no cancer in my family and I know that doesn't mean anything, but I am holding onto that. Right now, my main issue with tomorrow is that I am prone to anxiety attacks which I had years ago and still occasionally get at times of severe stress...which I fear will occur as soon as they try to put a needle in my arm with medication in it. I am so scared of having a bad reaction to it that I am afraid I'll back out at the last minute. I am more afraid of that then the test or even the results of the test. They are giving me Propofol and Versed. Anyway, I am sitting here for the day as suggested on here. I am all prepared to be in the bathroom all night. I have to take the Phospho-Soda at 6 p.m. and then again at least 4 hours before my appointment which is at 9:30 a.m., so, I'll literally be in the bathroom all night.

Am I totally neurotic or can anyone relate to me? Can someone please help me to calm down today?

Thanks so much!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You'll be fine! new
      #185012 - 06/09/05 07:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Really, really, really. And I'm pretty sure your doc is right about the perforation...AND that is so rare these days.

It's a really good test to check you out and there's nothing that can replace it. It's nice to know that you've been properly looked at!

Let the nurses know tomorrow that you're really anxious about the whole thing...when I had mine they were really lovely and kept me totally calm. Can someone go with you to hold your hand till you've had the sedative? You need someone to drive you home anyway.

Get plenty of rest today as tonight will be horrible. Make it through to tomorrow mornign and the worst will be over, believe me! Have you read/printed out all JillSklar's notes on coping with the prep? Soft toilet tissue, baby wipes and vaseline or nappy rash cream are so helpful. And keep books/magazines, a blanket and pillow and possibly even the tv in the bathroom!

Good luck. You'll be fine and this will allow you to get some answers.

Btw, lets talk more about gluten free when this is over, okay?

Re: You'll be fine! new
      #185015 - 06/09/05 07:48 AM
Stephany

Thank you so much. Yes, my husband will be taking me. The test site is an hour away and I am also hoping that I'll make it there without the need to go to the bathroom. How long does it take before the urge subsides?

I've had 3 new
      #185034 - 06/09/05 08:23 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I've had three and I'm still here!!!! The prep is the worst part. For the rest of it you won't remember anything. Just treat yourself gently for the next few days... no gymnastics, horseback riding or jumprope. Lie on your side and restart the fluids slooooowly. You'll feel 100% in a couple of days this way.

Breathe!! You're going to be fine.

~nelly~

Re: I've had 3 new
      #185043 - 06/09/05 08:40 AM
Stephany

Thank you, Nelly! I really feel that I need to stay connected to this board today. I'm trying to get my mind off the test. It's so hot outside...around 90...I don't want to venture out for anything! Did you find that drinking lots of drinks with sugar caused any problems? I don't like too much salt, so I only got one can of chicken broth. I have ginger ale, gatorade, apple juice, seltzer, and jello.

Salt new
      #185052 - 06/09/05 08:48 AM
Linz

You need the salt or you'll get really dehydrated. Think of it as medicine and just get it down. Being dehydrated is horrible!

Re: Salt new
      #185053 - 06/09/05 08:50 AM
Stephany

Isn't the salt in Gatorade helpful for that?

Yes! Doh, sorry, forgot about that! - nt new
      #185056 - 06/09/05 08:53 AM
Linz

I'd avoid the seltzer, new
      #185057 - 06/09/05 08:54 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

...but the others are fine. Some people have problems with gatorade, but I've never had an issue with it. Also be sure to try some lukewarm herbal tea with sugar. Remember, no caffiene! Your bowels don't need to be any more speedy than they are!

Sugar is a diaphram tranquillizer, and will actually calm your gut at low doses. It works as a natural remedy to hiccups too!

Try to relax before the big day. I agree the heat makes everything worse! I'd just huddle by the a/c with my favorite 7 pillows and a comforter and watch some TV.

Do some breathing exercises to calm your nerves. Nerves are normal, so don't fret! I take a super deep breath, hold it for 5 secs, then let it out veeeeery slooowly, through the smallest hole through my mouth. Give yourself extra points if you make a funny noise.

~nelly~

Re: I'd avoid the seltzer, new
      #185071 - 06/09/05 09:12 AM
Stephany

Thanks for making me laugh! I like Chamomile tea...is that o.k.? I use honey rather than sugar...is that a no-no today?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 249 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13245

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review