All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Absolutely CLUELESS in the garden... help?
      #182652 - 06/01/05 03:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

After 26 straight days of rain (seriously... I wish I were joking but I'm not!), the sun finally came out today, and you know what that means: time to FINALLY get working in the garden! We lucked out with this house in that the previous owners did a lot of landscaping, so there's very little that's absolutely vital, but there are a few things to be done still.

So...

1. What flowers grow well in mostly-shade to complete shade? I know hostas grow well just about anywhere, but I'm looking for flowers - preferably perennials, but annuals are ok, and the brighter the better. This is for our front yard.

2. Is there anything I can do to encourage/help a rhodedendron that (I'm guessing) wasn't really planted in the best location? It's at the side of the house, which *is* pretty much the sunniest part of the yard, getting mostly-sun to full-sun at various times of the year. But the shrub is kind of flat and sparse and just doesn't look very happy. If I can't bring it back, I'll end up uprooting it next year, I think.

3. Is there a trick to getting grass seed to take? We haven't tried seeding our lawn yet, but just last week we were talking about how difficult it seems to be - any time my mom's tried it, she still just ends up with her normal blotchy lawn. Our lawn looks awful, I'd like to think there's *something* we can do about it.

I think that's all my stupid questions for now. LOL! What to plant in the shade is really the big one: we're having a housewarming party on the 18th, and I'd like to get some plants in before then.

Thanks to anybody who has suggestions!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The clueless helping the clueless.... new
      #182656 - 06/01/05 04:12 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I would suggest just sticking in some impatiens and geraniums in the shady part until you can figure out what perrennials to put in. You can put in a few every year and that way it won't be so overwhelming. I like impatiens and geraniums because they're so bright and cheery. One perrennial that I particularly like are coral bells. They have a green leafy bottom and pretty pink flowers sprout up the top kind of in a line for a few inches. They flower almost all summer long. They do well in the shade.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Absolutely CLUELESS in the garden... help? new
      #182667 - 06/01/05 04:36 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

For shade, how about impatiens (annual flowers)? They get huge in the shade and come in such vivid colors. I've seen a mass of them mixed half and half with the hot pink and neon orange. (Sometimes you can find them in a vivid purple too.) That is stunning!

I like to use the white ones in a dark corner because they show up well at night.

Casey new
      #182669 - 06/01/05 04:38 PM
BL

I forgot to mention something. Plant the flowers and then spray them with Miracle Gro. You do know what that is, don't you? Buy the powder in the box and put it in one of those hose attachments and spray away. I did that last week to my flowers and you would not believe the difference! They look so much healthier!

Han Solo new
      #182672 - 06/01/05 04:44 PM
BL

I thought geraniums only bloom in the SUN! At least everywhere I've lived that's the way that's worked. In fact, I had 2 pots last year on my back patio. One was in the bright sun all day---and the geranium plant was huge. The other got part sun/part shade---and the plant was small and didn't bloom much. This year, I put both pots of geraniums in the sun.

And Casey, in case you didn't know, impatiens require a lot of water during the hot summer months. (They will wilt in the afternoon if not watered.)

On the other hand, geraniums don't like to be wet. Only water them occasionally. Wait until the ground is very dry, soak them thoroughly, and leave them alone. If you water them too often, they will look sick! I love them because they actually do better with neglect. (The only thing they require is cutting off the dead blooms. That makes them bloom even more.)

Good luck!

#182685 - 06/01/05 05:14 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I agree about the Impatiens and Geraniums... I used to have an apartment that only received early morning sun, and they worked perfectly. Also, your nursery should offer some kind of information on this type of thing. I've usually seen it where they provide a list of what grows well in what type of climate.

As for your rhodedendron, you could ask someone at your nursery for advice. My only thought is that you should probably move it to a shadier spot in order to make it more "happy". It's pretty easy to do, but you have to make sure you dig a wide enough hole to accomidate the root growth and make sure you dig wide enough around the plant when digging it up (depending on how large it is, I'd go at least a few inches wider than the diameter of the plant itself). Also, once you've replanted it, give it some Miracle Grow to encourage new growth.

Ok... I went online and found this site for you. I hope it helps.

And one more thing I forgot to mention... when you grow grass seed, the important thing to do is to really really cover the area well. I mean cover it to the point that you don't see any more dirt. And when you water it, be very careful not to over-water it at first so the seed doesn't wash away. If you're not completely satisfied with your results, put more seed down. The more you use the thicker it will be. Just remember that grass seed is different than what they use when they lay sod. It's not as thick and full, so it might appear to you to be a little different. As long as you don't point it out, the average person won't know the difference.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Edited by RachelT (06/01/05 05:24 PM)

#182712 - 06/01/05 06:57 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Casey,

I wouldn't suggest moving the rhodedendrun. Those suckers freak out easily and just moving them from the nursery to your yard can result in their death. My parents went through about fifteen of them (money back guarentee from Lowes) before they got five that lived. I think those plants are a big pain.

As for shade plants, have you tried playing with some of the mail order nursery sites? You can determine what zone you're in, tell them what colors you like, and that you want them to grow in the shade. These guys will sort them for you, for example. Then you can just buy the plants locally or send off for them.

Shade perennial new
      #182732 - 06/01/05 08:44 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Astilbe- also called false spirea- is a very easy to grow shade loving perennial that flowers very nicely in pinks and reds.
Here's a website with some useful info and pics.

#182772 - 06/02/05 01:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, the rhoedendron will hate lime in it the soil so the likelihood is it's too alkaline (you can get cheap soil tests to check). Digging some acidic organic matter (rotted bark is good I think) around the plant will help...as will some chemical compounds, but I'm gonna have to double check which one's it is (don't want you to poison the poor thing! ).

Grass seed...Aerate the lawn first: if you haven't got a spiky-wheel-thingy (aerator) just go round sticking a fork into the ground. If you've got heavy soil, then sprinkle some horticultural sand into the holes. Then rake over the bare patches to loosen the soil. Then sprinkle the seed over...and then WATER. Make sure you keep on watering it (preferably with a sprinkler so the seed and seedlings don't get swamped or washed away) unless you're getting regular rain. And once it starts getting to normal grass height, mow frequently....letting it get long will not help it but will weaken it.

Shade. Hmm...climbing hydrangea, certain primroses (gonna have to look up the names later), foxgloves, bugle , Candelabra primula , Christmas rose , Solomon's seal , Dog's tooth violet , Bergenia , Brunnera , Fibrous rooted begonia , Tuberous begonias , Gentian , some hardy Geraniums , Himalayan Blue Poppy (these are gorgeous), Lungwort (hideous name, isn't it?)...or you can get some heucheras with fantastically coloured foliage.

Hope that helps...I'll check the rhody problem later.

Thanks everybody!! new
      #182777 - 06/02/05 01:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I knew I could count on you guys for some good advice and suggestions. I did know I could look at some planting charts online, but I figured I'd see what people have actual experience with. Anyway, I'll research the flowers and see what I can actually get at nurseries around here, and I'll be sure to post pictures later in the summer when I have a gorgeous yard.

Our lawn actually looks better today than it did yesterday! So I don't think I'll mess with that just yet. And I'll see about the rhody. I'm honestly not a huge fan of rhod's, so if I have to chuck it, I won't be heartbroken.

Anyway, thanks everybody!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1766 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 960

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review