All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help PCOS and IBS
      #181463 - 05/26/05 05:42 PM
renaanne

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: Marietta, GA

I posted this under diet because it's a dietary question but haven't gotten but one response so I'll try here too. I have been diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and the brochure the doc gave me said that it affects insulin in the body and that I should try to limit carbs. That's seem to been in direct conflict with my IBS diet of mostly carbs! This is so frustrating because I need another "syndrome" like I need a laxative! I'm going to go back on the pill to regulate my hormones and possibly ward off other complications and I'm worried it will affect my IBS??? Any thoughts, suggestions?
Rena

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help PCOS and IBS new
      #181475 - 05/26/05 07:22 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I hope you get some more responses because I don't know too much about this, but I thought I'd offer what I have. I'm pretty sure that if your doc is concerned about insulin levels, you would still be ok with carbs but you should try and stick to things that aren't high on the glycemic index. You can google it to find out more. I'm pretty sure that the higher something is on the glycemic index the more it will make your insulin fluctuate...hopefully someone else can elaborate more.

One thing I wanted to let you know is that I've heard really good things about a PCOS Support group offered through WebMD, you may want to try asking around there. Here's a link: http://boards.webmd.com/topic.asp?topic_id=1191

Good luck!
Kelly

#181490 - 05/26/05 09:30 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey they thought I had PCOS for a while - I don't but have some friends with it. PCOS is rather an umbrella term and not everyone with it has the insulin problem. it is very important that you have a blood test to verify if you have the insulin issue. it will be a fasting blood sugar to insulin ration. that will give you the direction to go in. Are you overweight and if you are, do you have problems losing weight? Are you hairy for a woman? Do you have acne problems? If your answers to these questions are yes, it is more likely you have the insuline issue. To be safe (and its healthier anyway) eat safely by eating as many low glyceamic index carbs as you can. You can find loads of info on the internet. Good luck!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#181491 - 05/26/05 09:31 PM
daliatree

instead of 'ration' I meant to write 'ratio'!!!!

--------------------

#181801 - 05/28/05 06:02 PM
renaanne

Thanks for the thoughts. I did have a fasting blood test to check my insulin levels. I didn't talk to the doc, just the nurse and she said based on my hormone levels and insulin levels, he said it was PCOS. But she said that going on the pill would fix it. I was having chronic yeast infections too which I've heard are affected by insulin. Now I'm not sure whether that's part of my problem or not. I'm not overweight but I do have some hair on my face that didn't used to be there (of course I am getting older...30's) so I thought it was just part of getting older and having dark hair.

I will check out the support group on WebMD and see if they have any answers. I should have enjoyed my 20's while I was there!!!
Rena

#181826 - 05/28/05 10:03 PM
daliatree

a very good website is www.soulcysters.com. the pill won't 'fix' the problem of PCOS but while you are on it, cysts won't form on your ovaries which is good, but it won't get to the root of the problem. this is only something you need to worry about if you want to have a baby, if not, use the pill and don't worry! good luck

--------------------

#181913 - 05/29/05 07:06 PM
froggyvff22

Reged: 05/29/05

I have both too. I have not had any problems with my insulin. With IBS it limits what you can eat so much that I can't imagine haveing to give up more...beside there are days that my ibs is so bad that all i can eat is bread and that is better than nothing.

#181996 - 05/30/05 10:11 AM
renaanne

Thank you thank you thank you for the SoulCysters!!
Rena

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 894

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review