All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Question about calcium - help please!
      #181076 - 05/25/05 06:53 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I don't think I get enough calcium at all for this baby - I have cereal with soy milk in the morning, but that's about all the soy milk I get. I used to eat soy yogurt, but they stopped carrying it at my grocery store!!

My prenatal has 200mg....I just got an email from baby center saying I should get 1000mg. So I think I should take an extra calcium pill - it has 600mg.

I remember someone saying that calcium can hurt your tummy??? How is that again?? Is there something else I should take with the calcium?

I'm just worried about my stomach because every morning I have terrible pain and D. My doctor says he's not worried about it right now, but if it continues and I'm not gaining weight, then it's an issue.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
~Cara~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about calcium - help please! new
      #181077 - 05/25/05 06:58 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

If you can tolerate them, dark leafy greens are high in calcium, I think. Try some cooked spinach, kale, broccoli, stuff like that. I know you already spoke with your doc, but maybe ask about specific dietary suggestions?
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#181078 - 05/25/05 06:58 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Your little baby will get what he/she needs and will be taking it from you. The concern is for you and the calcium you need. I have am horrible with what I'm taking in. I don't eat well and I am trying to get more calcium too. I thought I heard the opposite that calcium will help with the D. Maybe the calcium bothers people with C? I could be wrong though. I bought some calcium supplements but I keep forgetting to take them. As a matter of fact, I haven't taken my antibiotic for my strep throat today. Better go take it now. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you with this.

#181087 - 05/25/05 07:10 AM
Cara4503

Thanks Panda. I called my doc, but of course you talk to a nurse...and all she said was, 'I'm sure you're getting enough with your prenatal'. She didn't even ask which prenatal I was on, and I just don't want to trust everything those nurses say because they don't sound like they care that much!

Dark leafy greens....someone might have to shove them down my throat, I'd put up a good fight I'm not a huge fan of veggies or dairy/soy products - that's why this is difficult.

--------------------
~Cara~

#181089 - 05/25/05 07:15 AM
Cara4503

I did wonder that - if it more affects people with C - does someone know??

That's good if the baby takes what it needs from me, but I don't want my bones to be breaking during labor! You sound like me....I don't really think about everything I put in my mouth

--------------------
~Cara~

#181091 - 05/25/05 07:21 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

I just read somewhere that calcium does have a constipating effect, so it is supposed to be helpful for D people.

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

#181092 - 05/25/05 07:49 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

If anything Cara, the calcium should help slow down the D!! It can't hurt anything to try and and see how you do!

I was just told by the Re that I should start a b 6 vitamin, anyone know how that affects our tummies?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I take B-6! new
      #181097 - 05/25/05 08:19 AM
Cara4503

And it has not affected me. I've been taking it about a year. It's actually supposed to help with MS.

One thing I'll recommend though - the B vitamin works MUCH better when it's taken together with other B vitamins, you really should never JUST take B-6. I take a vitamin called B-Complex. There is also one called B-Stress that is awesome. They have B-6, B-12, etc. They work together.

--------------------
~Cara~

If anything.. calcium is actually constipating. -nt- new
      #181098 - 05/25/05 08:22 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

--------------------

Encouragement for Cara! new
      #181108 - 05/25/05 09:28 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Cara,

When I saw your post, I had to respond. Two years ago, I was in your shoes. I was pregnant and due Dec. 15th. I was not feeling well and unable to gain any weight for the first 14 weeks of pregnancy. I had terrible pain and D every day and the doc didn't really know what to say. Here is what I did:

First I started to follow my cravings. I found that I could no longer eat soy cheese, but I could eat real cheese without problems. I practically lived on Pop Tarts the 1st trimester. I'm not saying this was good really, but at least they didn't give me D! I would emphasize to go slow in introducing foods, but try to eat what you crave. It worked for me and I had many food phobias at the time, but the drive to eat was so strong that I overcame it somehow.

I switched from Citrucel to Benefiber during my 10th week and the D stopped a couple of days after that. I felt sooooo much better on the benefiber. I couldn't believe the difference.

Hang in there. I know you are really excited and it's all worth the pain, but hopefully these tips will give you some relief sooner than later!

Laura

#181112 - 05/25/05 10:17 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Cara-
Calcium does have a constipating affect so that is why it might bother some people with C. I am surprised that your prenatal only has 200mg. I think the one I am on right now has at least 600mg in it. You might benefit from it because it will help slow your D down. I just started my prenatal called Prenate GT. I was so worried about the iron in it because it contains 90mg. Last time I was so C with it, but acutally this time around I am going just fine. In fact the problems i was having earlier in the month are gone. Go figure?

#181124 - 05/25/05 10:39 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Calcium helps constipate me, which I welcome because it helps with my D. I take one 600+D every night. I don't know if it'll help your D considering it will be up against Powerful Hormones!! I'd say worth a try, tho, especially if you're convinced you're not getting enough.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{BIG HUGS!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

OH my gosh!!! new
      #181135 - 05/25/05 11:00 AM
Cara4503

Ok your post is incredibly like me right now - I have been eating pop tarts like crazy!!! That's pretty funny. I was so shocked reading your post!

I am due Dec. 19th. So close to your due date! When did you have your baby??

I'm wondering if I should try a different fiber, but I'm taking Acacia and love it.

As far as cravings...I just started doing what you said. I am SO strict on myself with this IBS diet and have been for a year - NO CHEATING. Just last night my husband made a pizza and I could NOT resist. I ate one piece and was fine! I also ate cheetos this morning! It's pretty exciting. The thought of chocolate soy milk, or soy yogurt right now is just disgusting - and I used to eat or drink it everyday.

Thanks for your post, made me feel better!

--------------------
~Cara~

#181136 - 05/25/05 11:02 AM
Cara4503

Thanks! Constipation would be wonderful right now. I'm sure many people want to kill me for saying that.
Thanks Nelly!

--------------------
~Cara~

#181137 - 05/25/05 11:04 AM
Cara4503

I was surprised about my prenatal too - but I've been on it for over a year and I didn't want to switch it because you always hear about problems with those.

I should check on the iron....doesn't calcium take away iron or something?

Thanks Angela!

--------------------
~Cara~

#181139 - 05/25/05 11:04 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

If you don't feel like you can tummy the veggies..and and increase causes bloating or "C", just look for a chelated version of the mineral, and you should be good to go! Makes it easier to absorb and digest that way! Enjoy the pregnancy!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#181143 - 05/25/05 11:13 AM
Nelly

LOL! I know how you feel! I try and limit the audible praying for constipation I do for fear of offending someone on these boards!!!!!

But it's truuuuuuuuue!!

Yes, iron and magnesium -nt- new
      #181144 - 05/25/05 11:14 AM
Nelly

#181147 - 05/25/05 11:21 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Cara,
If you can, get ahold of a calcium source that is non cabinate and therefore less gassy. IBD patients need to find this to supplement thier calcium, and I believe the best form is calcium diphosphate. Either way, it is a difficult one to supplement. Can you drink any of the juices that are calcium fortified?

Good luck and we're all so happy for you and your husband!

Mindy

So do you take those too?? -nt- new
      #181164 - 05/25/05 12:11 PM
Cara4503

--------------------
~Cara~

#181165 - 05/25/05 12:15 PM
Cara4503

Thanks Mindy - that's good advice. I'll check that out!

I'm not sure about juices...I'm scared of all of them except for cranberry juice, and I don't think that has much calcium, if any.

I definately don't need the gas right now! I'm either burping or farting all day long now with this pregnancy. My husband loves it. LOL. Although he shouldn't complain because he's the gassiest man alive. Every time he burps he says, 'Excuse me for burpin, but my butt wasn't workin'. Haha.

--------------------
~Cara~

Nope new
      #181180 - 05/25/05 12:46 PM
Nelly

It's widely reported that high calcium intake to combat osteoporosis retards iron and magnesium intake. You can't take high doses of calcium (read: HIGH) and expect not to become deficient in iron and magnesium in the long run. It's especialy true in the long run and of older people.

I'm tested for iron deficiency yearly but since I don't get my period so I don't lose iron each month. Also since I'm not anemic, I haven't modified my diet to include more iron. Red meat is not a trigger for me, luckily!!

I don't know what magnesium deficiency looks like. I supposed it's tested for in a standard blood panel. I take the calcium because I'm lactose intonerant, on depo, and mostly because it's constipating.

Re: OH my gosh!!! new
      #181187 - 05/25/05 01:04 PM
torbetta

I didn't gain any weight my first trimester with Zoe either. I ended up gaining 25 to 30 by the end. Enjoy the cheese while you can. I couldn't get enough pizza. I still can eat a bit of cheese pizza. I think it might be because I'm breast feeding. I haven't gotten af yet either so it might be hormonal for me. Btw, I still eat crappy. I figure eat it while I can hehehe.

#181191 - 05/25/05 01:08 PM
torbetta

Angela- Are you expecting? Just wondering if I missed a post saying you were since I remember you saying you were planning on trying soon.

Calcium gives me C!!!! ---nt--- new
      #181234 - 05/25/05 03:52 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

#181276 - 05/25/05 06:42 PM
lj

Cara,

That is so funny that you are craving Pop Tarts too. At least they do have a decent amount of vitamins in them! Soy also turned me off big time by the 9th or 10th week. I wouldn't switch fibers if you are feeling good about what you are taking. I began to feel sick everytime I drank the Citrucel, so I knew it had to go. I put that in there just in case you were on Citrucel, but I think acacia is a lot like Benefiber.

I had my baby girl on Dec. 11, 2003. I was induced because the baby got so big that the doctor was afraid I would have to have a C-section if I waited any longer. I am very short and small boned. Despite my lack of weight gain in the beginning, I gained 50 lbs! I could barely drag myself around by the end. Eventually the ibs came back and helped me lose it all.

You sound like you are on the right road and I predict that you will be eating like a football player this summer. Enjoy!

Laura

#181316 - 05/26/05 05:47 AM
Cara4503

I had this dream about 2 weeks ago - I was in the delivery room, it was so real....it was Dec. 11th, and I had a girl. I woke up thinking I had already had her....it was such a real dream I can still see what she looked like in it.

SO - I wrote it down in my journal just in CASE that happens - wouldn't that be weird? I am going to find out what I'm having in 7 weeks. I have no instinct besides these dreams....I can't wait to find out!!

I hope I can lose the weight pretty quickly because I'm going to be a bridesmaid for my best friend early next year! I'll be praying for D then....

What is your little girl's name?

--------------------
~Cara~

Torbetta new
      #181319 - 05/26/05 06:17 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Torbetta
Nope not that I know of! We are trying again however. I probably won't spill the beans until I am at least 6weeks because I am a little leary about doing so. I had an ectopic pregancy before my son and it puts me at high risk for another one! So send baby thoughts my way!

Does this work in the reverse way? new
      #181325 - 05/26/05 06:34 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I take magnesium for constipation without calcium like they suggest (the 2:1 recommendation).

Does this mean I am robbing my body of calcium or pulling calcium out of my body by only taking the magnesium?

I can't fathom putting calcium into my body knowing that it has constipating effects when I am already in horrible pain with chronic constipation.

And shame, shame for wanting the constipation! It is very painful! I much preferred it when I was IBS-D years ago! But they both stink, don't they!

Calcium in prenatal or multivitamins new
      #181342 - 05/26/05 07:55 AM
zebras

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Vermont

Calcium and iron, when taken at the same time, bind together and your body can't absorb either one. This is why most multivitamins contain only a small amount; also, calcium is so bulky that trying to stuff enough calcium into a vitamin pill would make it way too big! The nurse who told you you were getting plenty from your prenatal certainly did NOT know what she was talking about, unless she quizzed you on your diet and determined that you were getting plenty of calcium that way.

There is an old saying that for every baby a woman has, she loses a tooth (something like that). This comes from the fact that your body will pull calcium from your stores (mostly bone) to ensure that the baby is getting what it needs.

Zebras --- new
      #181357 - 05/26/05 09:57 AM
Cara4503

Thanks for that post, very helpful.

Do you think I should take the 600mg calcium pill then?? I don't want to lose a tooth - LOL! I have heard that too. But I also don't want to be really low on iron, because I do lean towards being anemic.

I hate dealing this all this vitamin stuff! It's too complicated. I did take the calcium pill the past 2 days, and it definately didn't make me C.

--------------------
~Cara~

#181387 - 05/26/05 12:02 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Cara,

I take those chewable calcium supplements every day to constipate myself a little and I have found that it's pretty helpful with the D, especially when it gets bad.

Good luck, I hope you start to feel better soon.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#181496 - 05/26/05 10:08 PM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Hi there,
I know a lot has been written about calcium tabs. etc. just thought you could eat foods with calcium as under:
baked beans with franks
soy beans
artichokes
broccoli
Brussels sprouts
cabbage
carrots
snow peas
spinach
summer squash
dried apricots
blackberries
dried dates
1 orange or calcium fortified orange juice
prunes
raisins
rhubarb
anchovies
bass
halibut
ocean perch, Atlantic
salmon including bones
sardines
rainbow trout
steamed clams
boiled lobster
blue mussels
shrimp

You can pick what suits you and inculcate more of these foods in your daily diet which will help you.

Best of luck. Jenny

Thank you very much!! -nt- new
      #181527 - 05/27/05 06:18 AM
Cara4503

--------------------
~Cara~

Nelly, or anyone.. new
      #181534 - 05/27/05 06:35 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

does anyone know about the question I asked in above post?

Re: Does this work in the reverse way? new
      #181550 - 05/27/05 07:18 AM
Cara4503

I wouldn't think it works in the reverse way...but I'm not positive. I hope someone can help! I just think that if one robs your body of the other, it can't be possible that the other can rob your body of the first. Did that make any sense? I don't know

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Zebras --- new
      #181578 - 05/27/05 08:46 AM
zebras

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Vermont

Yes, I would supplement with calcium unless you're sure that you are getting plenty in your diet. And definitely take your calcium at a different time of day; I take my multi in the morning and my calcium at night. By the way, calcium is absorbed much better if you take magnesium along with it, so I would look for a calcium-magnesium pill with about twice as much calcium as magnesium (a very common combination).

Re: Nelly, or anyone.. new
      #181682 - 05/27/05 04:31 PM
Nelly

I think if you take a large dose, long term, of one of these drugs, you will in the end deprive your body of the others. I don't think these doses are meant to be taken for the long run. At least not in these doses (100-120% rda/day).

Do some research and talk to your doc. Let us know what the consensus is!

#182739 - 06/01/05 08:59 PM
lj

Cara,
I haven't been on the boards much this past week. That's very interesting that you had a dream about that specific date! It is a good day for a December birthday, exactly two weeks before Christmas.

My little girl's name is Carson Ruby. People either seem to really like it or really not, but all I can say is that it fits her perfectly.

You have to post and tell us when you find out if it's a boy or girl. It is the most exciting day when you go for that ultrsound. I was chomping at the bit to find out with both of my kids. I don't know how people wait until the end!

Laura

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 653 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6067

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review