All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Question about calcium - help please!
      #181076 - 05/25/05 06:53 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I don't think I get enough calcium at all for this baby - I have cereal with soy milk in the morning, but that's about all the soy milk I get. I used to eat soy yogurt, but they stopped carrying it at my grocery store!!

My prenatal has 200mg....I just got an email from baby center saying I should get 1000mg. So I think I should take an extra calcium pill - it has 600mg.

I remember someone saying that calcium can hurt your tummy??? How is that again?? Is there something else I should take with the calcium?

I'm just worried about my stomach because every morning I have terrible pain and D. My doctor says he's not worried about it right now, but if it continues and I'm not gaining weight, then it's an issue.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
~Cara~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about calcium - help please! new
      #181077 - 05/25/05 06:58 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

If you can tolerate them, dark leafy greens are high in calcium, I think. Try some cooked spinach, kale, broccoli, stuff like that. I know you already spoke with your doc, but maybe ask about specific dietary suggestions?
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#181078 - 05/25/05 06:58 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Your little baby will get what he/she needs and will be taking it from you. The concern is for you and the calcium you need. I have am horrible with what I'm taking in. I don't eat well and I am trying to get more calcium too. I thought I heard the opposite that calcium will help with the D. Maybe the calcium bothers people with C? I could be wrong though. I bought some calcium supplements but I keep forgetting to take them. As a matter of fact, I haven't taken my antibiotic for my strep throat today. Better go take it now. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you with this.

#181087 - 05/25/05 07:10 AM
Cara4503

Thanks Panda. I called my doc, but of course you talk to a nurse...and all she said was, 'I'm sure you're getting enough with your prenatal'. She didn't even ask which prenatal I was on, and I just don't want to trust everything those nurses say because they don't sound like they care that much!

Dark leafy greens....someone might have to shove them down my throat, I'd put up a good fight I'm not a huge fan of veggies or dairy/soy products - that's why this is difficult.

--------------------
~Cara~

#181089 - 05/25/05 07:15 AM
Cara4503

I did wonder that - if it more affects people with C - does someone know??

That's good if the baby takes what it needs from me, but I don't want my bones to be breaking during labor! You sound like me....I don't really think about everything I put in my mouth

--------------------
~Cara~

#181091 - 05/25/05 07:21 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

I just read somewhere that calcium does have a constipating effect, so it is supposed to be helpful for D people.

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

#181092 - 05/25/05 07:49 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

If anything Cara, the calcium should help slow down the D!! It can't hurt anything to try and and see how you do!

I was just told by the Re that I should start a b 6 vitamin, anyone know how that affects our tummies?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I take B-6! new
      #181097 - 05/25/05 08:19 AM
Cara4503

And it has not affected me. I've been taking it about a year. It's actually supposed to help with MS.

One thing I'll recommend though - the B vitamin works MUCH better when it's taken together with other B vitamins, you really should never JUST take B-6. I take a vitamin called B-Complex. There is also one called B-Stress that is awesome. They have B-6, B-12, etc. They work together.

--------------------
~Cara~

If anything.. calcium is actually constipating. -nt- new
      #181098 - 05/25/05 08:22 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

--------------------

Encouragement for Cara! new
      #181108 - 05/25/05 09:28 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Cara,

When I saw your post, I had to respond. Two years ago, I was in your shoes. I was pregnant and due Dec. 15th. I was not feeling well and unable to gain any weight for the first 14 weeks of pregnancy. I had terrible pain and D every day and the doc didn't really know what to say. Here is what I did:

First I started to follow my cravings. I found that I could no longer eat soy cheese, but I could eat real cheese without problems. I practically lived on Pop Tarts the 1st trimester. I'm not saying this was good really, but at least they didn't give me D! I would emphasize to go slow in introducing foods, but try to eat what you crave. It worked for me and I had many food phobias at the time, but the drive to eat was so strong that I overcame it somehow.

I switched from Citrucel to Benefiber during my 10th week and the D stopped a couple of days after that. I felt sooooo much better on the benefiber. I couldn't believe the difference.

Hang in there. I know you are really excited and it's all worth the pain, but hopefully these tips will give you some relief sooner than later!

Laura

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 357 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6066

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review