All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Effects of sun & heat abroad on holiday ......
      #180793 - 05/23/05 12:51 PM

Unregistered

I am due to go away to Tenerife in 2weeks (with husband and 8 yr old grandson) and this is my first time in the heat and sun since starting Heather's regime and supplements.(November 2004)
I have realsied that when I am away I usually have one or two days when I am just "not well" and on reflection although it always presents as my ibs I am sure it is the heat. Anyone have any suggestions how I can prevent this. I am fair skinned, haired and blue eyed and yes I use a high factor sun cream even though I always sit in the shade!! I also have drunk plenty of water for years now so its not that!
Any suggestions will be very gratefully received.

Judith

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Effects of sun & heat abroad on holiday ...... new
      #180794 - 05/23/05 12:54 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Big floppy hat and don't go out midday? I have problems with extreme temperatures too (though cold hits me much worse) and all I can do is avoid being in direct sunlight at the hottest part of the day. Good luck! Enjoy the vacation!!

#180795 - 05/23/05 12:57 PM

Unregistered

Thanks Chinagirl = forgot to mention the hat!!

#180867 - 05/24/05 05:04 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Drink rehydration drinks (or just water with a splash of fruit juice and a pinch of salt) as well as water. Try not to get too hot personally (only walk in the evening for example...or spend lots of time in the sea!) and stay out of the sun almost completely during the hottest pasrt of the day.

I always take Immodium as well. Enjoy your holiday!

Heat is my worst trigger! new
      #180912 - 05/24/05 08:34 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I hear you on the heat and sun. Heat is my worst trigger and even if I eat healthily, heat will always start an attack for me. I spent 20 years' worth of vacations in Barcelona and I was miserable when I couldn't regulate my environment. Some things that worked for me: If you can, buy an electric fan to keep you cool. It's great for places with no a/c, and a blowing fan really cut down on night attacks for me.

Also, eat small meals. Do not overeat, because the combination with the heat will send you over the edge! Avoid alcohol or drinks that are too cold. No reason to traumatize your stomach with those! And if you can, munch on a small sugary snack to calm your stomach when it rumbles. You want to keep your stomach calm with all the external stressors (tight shorts, sucking in your gut in a bathing suit, heat, etc!), and a little sugar acts as a diaphragm and stomach tranquillizer. Also great for the hiccups, as it works the same way to stop spasms.

Good luck, and post back on how it went! Enjoy your vacation!!

Just back from my vacation new
      #180940 - 05/24/05 10:44 AM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

I just got back from an 11-day vacation to Greece. Had sunshine and warm/hot weather the whole time. We sailed on a sailboat so there was lots of heat and sunlight. I didn't have any problems with the sun causing me problems for my IBS. The things that I did learn that might be of use...make sure you drink even more water than you normally do. I started planning on drinking what I normally do and that wasn't even close to what I wound up needing- almost double everyday. Make sure you get some exercise-even if it was just walking around. I felt great walking and hiking around the islands and even climbed a mountain on one of the islands. I applied sunscreen every hour and a half that I was outside and used SPF45 since I too have a fair complexion and burn easily. (Now I have a really nice golden brown color). I suggest if possible wearing white light-weight materials (cotton or linen) as much as possible-it kept me cool but also helped to shade me a bit more from the sun.

I am recently diagnosed with IBS and was so nervous before the trip about the flight (my first ever), about having an attack that when I did have two little episodes, I was prepared and able to get over them faster since I knew what to do and had planned in advance. Also being relaxed seemed to help. Also not thinking much about my IBS but instead about how much fun I was having really helped!!

Take plenty of safe snacks. I had a stash of Luna bars in my backpack that I could fall back on when I needed something safe. The resturants are more than willing to work with your diet needs. We were able to walk from taverna to taverna checking the menu for safe meals for me that when I found something questionable they would answer the questions or prepare it accordingly for me just to have the business. Wish the USA resturants would do that.

Finally, just have fun. I can't wait to hear about your trip! Wishing you a safe and enjoyable holiday.

Michelle

LINZ - Re: Effects of sun & heat abroad on holiday ...... new
      #181048 - 05/25/05 02:32 AM

Unregistered

Linz

Are you suggesting that I should drink rehydrating liquids as a precaution against my ibs??

Judith

Re: LINZ - Re: Effects of sun & heat abroad on holiday ...... new
      #181308 - 05/26/05 04:47 AM
Linz

Kinda. Alot of the health problems caused by hot weather stem from dehydration so you REALLY want to make sure you don't get at all dehydrated and rehydration drinks as well as water will help with that (you can get dehydrated whilst drinking water!).

#181335 - 05/26/05 07:06 AM

Unregistered

Thanks Linz - information most appreciated. In all my years to trying to control the ibs I would never have thought about rehydrating drinks especially as I already drink lots of water. How/why is it possible to be dehydrated even when drinking enough water?
Thanks again
Judith

#181348 - 05/26/05 08:14 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm not Linz, but when you sweat, you lose not only water, but electrolytes as well (salts, etc) from your body. So if you just drink a ton of water, you're not replacing those salts and your body can go into shock if you sweat too much and don't replace the salts. Rehydration drinks help replace the salts, as well as the water you're losing when you sweat.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Yep that's it! new
      #181428 - 05/26/05 02:35 PM
Linz

If you had no salt at all in your diet then you could die of dehydration no matter how much water you drank. If you do get dehydrated, plain water tends to just go straight through you...I often feel like I'm dehydrated even tho I'm drinking loads of water and am peeing pale pee and rehydration or salty drinks sort that out.

Melissa and Linz - thanks a lot. nt new
      #181434 - 05/26/05 03:10 PM

Unregistered

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3543

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review