All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Casey new
      #180743 - 05/23/05 08:27 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Yes the "Benadryl Maximum Strength Severe Alergy and Sinus Headache" is different then regular benadryl. It comes in a green box. I get migraines as well as sinus "like" headaches. (My doc said for me it is really not sinuses problems but a fibro problem but the Benadryl Sinus stuff works.) I take Extra Strength Tylenol for my migraines and lay down in a dark room with a warm cloth on my face and try to sleep'em off. The sinus "like" headaches I take the Benadryl Sinus stuff and that usually knocks right out.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Migraine help? new
      #180892 - 05/24/05 07:00 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

No suggestions but give him a big hug for me. Migraines must be very hard to manage.

Re: Migraine help? new
      #180894 - 05/24/05 07:16 AM
byard

Reged: 05/19/05
Loc: oklahoma city, ok (transplanted from California

I too have migraines. Imitrex is a Godsend. I also take two Alleve twice a day when I can't use the Imitrex. I take them at the onset of the headache and they will stop them before then get bad. He really shouldn't take more than two Imitrex in a 24 hour period. Good luck to him (and you).

Insurance Company Override for Imitrex new
      #180941 - 05/24/05 11:13 AM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Casey,

Sorry I have been away for awhile and just saw your message. My sister and I both suffer from severe migraines and both take Imitrex for them. We were going through them at the same rate that Adam seems to be going through them. Mine are triggered by bright lights and lots of heat/sunshine that cause me to wind up being hospitalized for the pain and dehydration that occur. We had our doctor contact the insurance company and let them know that the MRIs showed nothing wrong, other than we suffered from migraines. With a report sent to the insurance company documenting the problems we were experiencing, the cost of having us hospitalized versus the cost for the medication, the insurance company put in an override into the system that allows us to have a monthly supply of one per day or 8 per week. This has helped tremendously since we no longer have to suffer. Course now under my new insurance plan (since I am no longer under Mom and Dad's) I had to do the same thing in order for them to allow me to get the number I needed. Course I am sure they hate the fact that I get 35 tablets for $25.00- which is much better than the four or six times a year with a hospital bill for $500/visit. But I also only fill the prescription four to five times a year since the migraines have decreased except for certain periods of time (Dec-March & Jun-Sept) when the sun is bright or there is snow glare.

I will warn you that it takes time to get the process in place, but Blue Cross and Blue Shield will do it.

Additionally, I tried a trigger book for a few months keeping track of everything until we figured them out. While I am not sure if it helped or not, since I started yoga the number of attacks went down.

I hope Adam has good luck with getting what he needs to feel better. Let me know if you need any additional information on what we had in the report to the insurance company.

Michelle

Re: Insurance Company Override for Imitrex new
      #180983 - 05/24/05 02:33 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hi Michelle!

I think that, mostly likely, the insurance company override thing isn't going to do him a lot of good right at this moment, because he's on Medicaid and the state is notoriously a lot more difficult to reason with than even insurance companies are. (I couldn't even get them to cover the birth control patch for me when my IBS was bad and I was afraid that the pill wouldn't be effective because of the D... it appears they'd rather have welfare babies than pay the $40/month. But I digress.)

*However*... he should be eligible for insurance with his new job within the next couple months, so the information might definitely be helpful for then. If you'd rather, you can email - my address is in my profile.

Thanks bunches!

PS - I'm so sorry you suffer with these cussed things too!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 285 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2322

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review