All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Schizophrenia
      #180349 - 05/20/05 10:34 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I don't post here very often, it usually takes all my time just to keep up with the 'Eating for IBS' board, but at the moment I don't even have time to do that. My niece is ill, very ill, and I realise now that she has been ill for a long time and I didn't recognise it. For about the last week she has been extremely agitated, often in a state of panic, seeing things and hearing things that are not there, obsessively arranging objects and performing strange 'rituals'. She sleeps very little and has a kind of frantic energy. She is often very angry and abusive and has been violent a couple of times. She believes that other people are trying to harm her with voodoo, as well as playing tricks on her, it may be one of us or it may be freemasons. Night time is the worst, but she can get sudden unpredictable outbursts any time. She is really suffering, I can't even imagine how terrible it must be to go through the fear that she is feeling.

Her husband and I are taking it in turns to sit with her while the other one sleeps so we have little time to talk to each other about what is going on. This morning we managed to get her to see our GP, who prescribed Oxamepam, which she called 'a mild sedative' and she is arranging an appt with a psychiatrist next week. My niece is convinced that none of this is necessary and that she would be fine if we just left her alone.

My sister was diagnosed schizophrenic, so I am expecting the same, or one of the related disorders, my great-aunt had the same illness and my grandmother also had some symptoms, though 'mildly' (just enough to make family life weird and frightening) and I am struggling not to give in to despair right now. I don't know what is going to happen, but I know our lives will never be the same from now on.

This topic is a million miles away from what this board is all about, but it feels to me like a very safe place to say things that are so painful and difficult. Thanks for reading this.

Josephine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Schizophrenia new
      #180360 - 05/20/05 11:17 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Josephine - I am very sorry to hear this. Psychological disorders can be very difficult to comprehend and deal with, not only for the person inflicted, but also for those around them. I don't have any words of wisdom, but I wanted to let you know that you and your family are in my thoughts. *hugs*

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#180382 - 05/20/05 12:55 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

((HUGS))

This stuff is difficult.. my uncle suffers from this and was recently hospitalized after lapsing from not taking meds after over twenty years of being 'somewhat' stable on them.
He has always been like this since I can remember, but I have seen other close family members go through similiar illnesses, and it is very hard to deal with. Yo uneed to be strong for those family members, even if they don't seem to appreciate it. What is so horrible is that when you try to help people with illnesses like this they think that you are the enemy. You are lucky that she is getting some help.
I hope for your niece's sake that she gets all the help that she needs and can live a 'normal' life.
make sure you take care of yourself, as well, ok? These things can get overwhelming.

--------------------
-Sheri

#180384 - 05/20/05 01:06 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Josephine I just wanted to give you a {{big hug}} and let you know that you are not alone. I don't know anything about Schizophrenia.... only what I've seen on TV and the movies....but I'm sure it is not an easy thing to deal with, both the person that has it and the family as well. We are here for you...please feel free to come to us anytime you need us.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#180405 - 05/20/05 02:26 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm sorry to hear about your niece. I know this must be extremely difficult for you. My heart goes out to you. I have bipolar disorder, and I have a cousin who has schizophrenia so I can relate.

I'm not familiar with the med the GP prescribed, but I read that it's in the same class as Xanax and Klonopin (drugs called benzos), both of which I've taken in the past for anxiety and panic attacks. They are sedating and should calm her down.

I'm very surprised, however, that the GP did not get her in to see the psychiatrist right away. To me, this is an emergency---and no matter what the receptionist tells you, they can always work in patients who need to be seen right away.

It sounds like you are doing the most important thing---not leaving her alone for a second. Without a diagnosis from a psychiatrist, you are not sure what you are dealing with. Giving someone with a mental problem the wrong medicine
can have very serious consquences. Many meds can induce or make manic episodes worse. For instance, many people who are depressed are given antidepressants which can induce mania in someone with bipolar disorder. (I speak from experience, because this is what happened to me.) After the wrong diagnosis and thus inappropriate medicine, I became suicidal---and thank God to this day that one of my neighbors intervened and got me to a hospital right away. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here today.

Please monitor her every second, and promise me if she worsens, you will take her to a hospital for treatment. They will notify a psychiatrist and get her immediate attention.

Your family will be in my prayers! I wish you the best of luck as you seek treatment for her. She is very fortunate to have the two of you.

#180413 - 05/20/05 02:45 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

First of all, I just wanted to say that you can feel free to talk about anything on the Living Room board, especially something that you are stuggling with. I think it is a great place to get ideas and things from other people, even if it has nothing to do with IBS.

I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this right now. I don't have anyone in my immediate family who is schizophrenic, but I know several people who do have someone in their family. My sorta-kinda-in-laws have a woman who suffers from schizophrenia, but she has been on medication for years now and as far as I know has been 'stable' for a very long time.
From what I understand, I think it is totally expected that your neice thinks that she doesn't need the help that others are seeking for her. She probably either truly believes that these things are happening to her and nobody believes her, or that there is absolutely nothing wrong that can be treated. I have read that it is normally family members of children with this disorder that have to seek out the help, and it is only after being put on anti-psychotic medication that the person may realise that they needed the help in the first place.

That being said, it does put family members in a terribly awkward position, so I am sending you lots of good thoughts that you and your family will be able to get through this.. which I am sure you will. There are so many professionals in this field with new medications and treatment programs that I'm sure you'll find someone who will really help you.

Try to be strong, this must be so awful for you. We'll be here to support you as best we can to try to help you not give in to those feelings.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#180428 - 05/20/05 05:08 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've encountered a few schizophrenics in my day (I have bipolar and epilepsy). Your niece desparately needs medicated assistance and an environment in which she can learn to manage
her disorder. It's genetic and medication/psychotherapy can help her manage her neurology. She's wired differently and misinterpreting reality inappropriately. Sleep deprivation and paranoia/obsessive compulsiveness only escalates the problems, emphasizes the chaotic mind. I wouldn't be surprised if there was also a nutritional imbalance involved. Often schizophrenics have low b12 levels. Nevertheless, I wish you compassion, serenity and sanity in the struggle/journey to speed your niece to a mental place of security and sanity. I hope she lets you into her shattered mind and doesn't step on broken rose coloured glasses. Damned insanity--it's such a divine crime!!! Insanity really pisses me off. How does it happen? How can it be cured? I throw my arms up to Heaven and lament. Is it karma? There's no point blaming...just managing. Bless you in this time of crisis.

{{{hugs}}} new
      #180575 - 05/22/05 03:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I don't know what to say...I just wanted to let you know I'd read this and am thinking about you.

BIG HUGS TO YOU!!! new
      #180764 - 05/23/05 10:16 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

My best friend was just diagnosed last year with this same illness. VERY, VERY hard thing to deal with. She has attempted suicide three times thus far. My heart and prayers are with you at this time!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#180786 - 05/23/05 12:26 PM

Unregistered

Hello Josephine

Please do not despair - you have taken the right action by visiting the GP and an appointment with the pscyhiatrist next week. Some hospitals have a 24 hours emergency system whereby if you feel that your neice is worsening or you cannot handle it anymore you may be able to take her straight to your local pscyhiatric unit. I am an ill-health retired medical secretary to a Consultant Psychiatrist and also have had to deal with my own son at age 17 with severe depression and he lives with mental health problems (he is now 32). He also suffered a "breakdown" 2 years ago after his marriage broke down and he was living with my husband and I at the time.
Unfortunately it is often necessary in this country to keep on pestering and pushing in order to get help - do not give up on her or yourselves.
I totally feel for you both and there isn't much else I can say except to encourage you to continue in your loving care for her.
May God strengthen and comfort you both at this very stressful time.

Judith

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 233 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1317

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review