All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Schnauzer owners?
      #179013 - 05/14/05 01:20 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

God help us (literally) we're talking about getting a dog. Luke has allergies so the thing would have to stay inside most of the time, not roll around in pollen all day and bring it in the house, but we'd walk it of course. It also has to not shed or barely shed at all. Want it to be medium sized, not a tiny thing you can hold in your hand or the boys will kill it, but not a huge thing either. I want something that will play with the kids but also chill out on the couch, not run around hyper all day long. I like the idea of something being trained to protect the kids but obviously not overly aggressive at all! We've been doing a lot of research and keep coming back to Schnauzers. So, any advice?

(we must be crazy......)

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Schnauzer owners? new
      #179014 - 05/14/05 01:40 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I'm not a Schnauzer owner but from what I understand, Labradoodles are known for being ok with allergies. They are a cross between a Labrador Retriever and a poodle. Temperments are great too but I think they are pretty pricey. It also may be bigger than what you are looking for. Schnauzer's are pretty small unless you get a Giant Schnauzer. They are cute too. I'm partial to big dogs as I've only had Golden Retrievers. Not a dog for you though cause they shed like crazy . Great with kids though.
Anyway, do a search for the labradoodles to get more information on them.
Good luck. Dogs are wonderful! They give you unconditional love!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#179017 - 05/14/05 02:02 PM
freeda

Reged: 05/08/05
Loc: SW Michigan

I took a foster mini-schnauzer on a trial once for a month... it wasn't pretty. She was quite neurotic and borderline violent, but I'm sure that was from her rescue background, not the breed.

For calm small to mid-sized dogs that are good with kids, I would urge you to look at Cavalier King Charles spaniels. Their coats are like hair, not fur, so while they require some grooming, they don't have a lot of the issues you'll find with other breeds.

--------------------
Knowledge is power.

Now our friend is talking us into a Border Terrier... new
      #179018 - 05/14/05 02:06 PM
ecmmbm

I have no idea... thanks for any feedback though, keep it coming!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Re: Now our friend is talking us into a Border Terrier... new
      #179019 - 05/14/05 02:14 PM

Unregistered

Hmm...well good friends of ours down the street have 2 schnauzers and I can't say that I enjoy them very much. I don't know what it is about them...and they are very yippy too. We have a little yorkie that is the sweetest and cutest thing ever..but too small for you all I'd imagine. To solve that shedding issue, you need to get a dog with HAIR not FUR. Terriers have hair so you're safe with a breed like that. I like the suggestion of a labradoodle, but those are pretty expensive I think. Irish terriers are also a good selection...a nice size but not huge.

Good luck! You've got a tough decision to make!! Let us know what you end up deciding.

#179025 - 05/14/05 03:03 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

We had Scotties when I was a kid. Two of them. One is fine. Two is a little insane. They were very protective of the family and didn't like many people outside of my immediate family. They weren't mean - they were just particular...I'm like that too. I have heard schauzers are similar in temperment. Scotties, at least, don't know they're small dogs. (Or they just don't care.) They'll bark in the face of a larger dog. It's kinda funny. Anyway, our Scotties were very loving to the family. One of them was tolerant of being dressed in doll clothes a time or two, but I don't think he was all that thrilled, either.

#179075 - 05/15/05 07:03 AM
Faye2

Reged: 04/28/05
Loc: USA

Hey ecmmbm! I HIGHLY recommend a standard size schnauzer to you since I have one of my own and he is one of the most darling creatures ALIVE! He's getting fairly old now and not as rambuunctious as he used to be but I don't remember him ever being very hyper. I do know that in the beginning he would get into EVERYTHING like stuffed animals and such but all puppies do that. We even put tobasco sauce on all the stuffed animals noses since that was the part he chewed off but he liked it! He also doesn't shed at all yet is kinda stinky but again...all dogs are. So all in all he is a wonderful dog and they are so cute to cuddle with. He sometimes just comes over and will sit on your lap if your on the floor even though he isn't a tiny dog. I think he thinks he is...hehehe. I hope I've helped you out and good luck! (One note of advice...do NOT ever buy from a pet store or puppy mill. ALWAYS get from a breeder or else you may end up with a diseased or attitude problem dog.

--------------------
~*Faye*~ ^-^

Hmmm new
      #179257 - 05/16/05 07:41 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Standard Schauzers are great dogs...welsh terriers are small versions that are lovely (and bark not yap). But poodles are supposed to be the ultimate dog for allergies...some family friends only have them as their youngest is allergic to everything and asthmatic.

#179261 - 05/16/05 07:51 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

My parents have a Lhasa Apso. They are the ones with the really long hair, but they keep him groomed with shorter hair and he's sooo cute. He doesn't shed at all and he's great with people....

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

See my other post - thanks for the suggestion!! nt new
      #179459 - 05/16/05 07:12 PM
ecmmbm

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2078 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 974

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review