All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hearing loss - have to look for another job! Prayers, please!
      #17901 - 08/20/03 06:41 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

I could really use some prayers right now. I am functionally deaf and use very powerful in-the-canal hearing aids. My new job is in a call-center and the equipment is terrible. It's been so long since I've worked in a call-center environment, I didn't realize that everyone in the world uses a cell phone - and the connections are awful. And I'm talking to lots of people for whom English is a second language - and sometimes I have to ask them more than once to repeat something - and that's a big "no-no"! This particular call-center is just one big open room - no buffers - it's about as noisy as the floor of the stock exchange! I have to keep the volume turned all the way up on my headset - and that's just too much amplification. I leave work after 8-hours feeling like I've been to a loud concert - and I know that's not good. I have an appointment for my annual audiogram on Sept 5th - and I'm sure my audiologist is going to tell me to find another job. It's so discouraging - I love the job and the benefits are great - even for me as a part-timer. But, I can't risk losing any more of my hearing. (By "functionally deaf", I mean that without my hearing aids, I really can't comprehend normal conversation or the tv, etc - even a smoke alarm sounds "normal" rather than piercing. I rely on visual cues a great deal, including lip-reading). ..... AND I'm moving, too - just a wee bit overwhelmed right now! Praying that God will open another door soon! (Sometimes it's tough to wait for Him! Even though He's never late, He's also never early - His timetable is perfect, but I'm not!) .... Thanks for listening!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hearing loss - have to look for another job! Prayers, please! new
      #17903 - 08/20/03 07:20 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Kaybee,
I feel for you! Although I don't know what to tell you about your job, I have a good friend that has what sounds like the same hearing loss and I know what she goes through. I have seen her leave a luncheon or party in tears because she is so frustrated because she cannot follow a conversation. She is fine one-on-one or with small groups, but a big group is overwhelming for her. I imagine that is how it is with you.
And you are moving too? No wonder you are stressed.
Just wanted to let you know that I will pray for you. I'm sure God will open some doors for you (in His own time, not ours, remember?)
Hang in there!

#17911 - 08/20/03 07:53 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm sorry Kaybee you are going through this. I had no idea you have hearing loss. You are so faithful giving us scripture verses to read. What a blessing you are. I will keep you in my prayers and really wish you the best.

Thanks, Barbara - really appreciate the concern and prayers! God bless.. -nt- new
      #17978 - 08/21/03 09:44 AM
KaybeeC

#17980 - 08/21/03 09:53 AM
KaybeeC

Thanks for your prayers - and I'll try to be patient for the Lord's timing! As for my hearing loss, just like for your friend, groups are difficult - but I make my needs known upfront! At church, during worship, I sit in the 4th row from the front, so I can read the pastor's lips but not be blown out of the water by the music! In Bible studies or meetings, I try to position myself toward the back - so that most of the participants are in front of me - if they're behind me, I can't hear them (the mics for the hearing aids are sort of positioned forward). Classroom style is the worst - round table is the best. I have great friends who "interpret" for me - they know when I've missed something. That was the case at my last job, too - at the travel agency. When we had meetings, one of the gals would watch me and when she knew I hadn't comprehended, she repeated it or made notes for me. I've found people to be very accommodating and very compassionate. I like to participate - I'm not a "wallflower" by any means! So, I do what I have to do to make people aware - this is my responsibility. There are activities I avoid, though, where it's just a waste of time - but there are so many alternatives, I don't feel "cheated". God has been so good to provide such great hearing aids! And my Meniere's Disease, which is partly responsible for my hearing loss, is in remission now - no more nausea or vertigo, Praise God! So, I just have to trust Him to provide for me. And, again, I'm so blessed with wonderful family and friends - and as your friend can tell you, we can get into some humorous situations with our hearing loss! Anyway, thanks for the prayers and the kind note!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#17997 - 08/21/03 11:26 AM
EmilyL

Reged: 07/29/03
Loc: Utah

Kaybee,
I really feel for you. I also work in a call center, but I am only moderately hearing impaired. I agree with you on the cell phones; even when the connection is good there is so much background noise that it can be difficult to follow what the caller is saying.

What I was wondering though, is that most headsets are equiped to they will work through the aids. (can't remember what the call it.) Are you currently using it? You usually need to turn the aids off and the call pipes through the aids. This may not help. I found I couldn't use mine becuase my left aid is too old and that part of the aid is damaged. :P

Does it help in a noisy (high decible environment to turn the aids off or take one of them out. I typically only use my left ear for phone work, my head set only has one ear piece.

I wish you good luck in finding a new job. That callcenter doesn't sound like a good place to work. I can't beleive that they have such an open environment. That's not good even for people with 20/20 hearing.

Have you also asked Human Resources to help you. Since we fit under "disabled" catagory. They are obligated to make arrangements to help us.

Listen to me, trying to solve your problem for you. Sorry. I just wanted to reply to you and let you know I understand where you are coming from.

Emily

#18267 - 08/22/03 06:13 PM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Praise God for your positive attitude and awareness of His sovereignty in all these difficulties! You are such a blessing! We'll be praying for you--for a better situation if you and your audiologist decide you need to get a different job and for your move. Thank the Lord that we are able to do all things through Christ who strengthens us!

Thanks and yes, I can do ALL things through Christ who is my Strength! Even when I'm afraid! Thanks for the encouragment and prayers - -nt- new
      #18397 - 08/24/03 12:37 PM
KaybeeC

#18399 - 08/24/03 12:57 PM
KaybeeC

Hi, Emily -

I'm not sure about the headset working while the aids are "off" - but I'll check with my audiologist (he's a really "techie"). My hearing aids are Sequels, the "in-the-canal" (ITC) type. They're a few years old and such a blessing! I couldn't use a regular phone before, like a payphone, even with the T-coil switch. I always used a speakerphone at home (this was by the time I was in my mid-thirties). These hearing aids allowed me to go back to work. Actually, I'm a little concerned that all this "double amplification" might be harming my aids as well as my ears the aids have developed a new "sound" and they're not working at optimum level right now. They sound really "tinny" - hope I don't need an expensive repair!

Yes, in a noisy environment I sometimes turn one of the aids off. Lately, though, after an 8-hour day at work I have to take both aids out at home for at least an hour to give my ears a break. (I work two 8-hr days and one 4-hr day). I'm sure that's not a good sign. As for using just one ear for phone work, I've tried that but it seems I need both. (When I'm on a regular phone and there's noise in the background, like a payphone at a mall, I do turn the aid off in the ear I'm not using - that allows me to concentrate on what I'm hearing on the phone). It IS the noisiest work environment I've ever been in! I don't know how people stand it full-time. Sometimes on my break or lunch, I just take my aids out - don't even want to talk to anyone (not that we have time, anyway!).

As for asking HR to help me, I'm still on probation and I'm only PT - which means, as I understand it, I'm not covered under FMLA (is that what I mean?). But I'll check it out with my audiologist - he's a consultant for the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation - which might have to be my next stop.

By the way, don't apologize about "trying to solve my problem for me" !! I'm usually doing this for others and I know the motivation is always kind and good - and I really appreciate being on the receiving end! Sometimes, when we're in the middle of a situation, we need other people to nudge us or bring up other options. Appreciate the help and the empathy!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2856

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review