Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My cat won't eat! Any tips?
      #176306 - 05/03/05 04:53 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Ok, I must have the world's pickiest cat! I can't stand it! He's had loose stools lately and we took him to the vet who didn't find anything wrong but said that he might have IBS (go figure) and told us that we need to get him off Fancy Feast because it's crap and get him on to a better food. He gave us a special gastrointestinal food to use for a few days and then said to switch to a good preventative food.

We got the wet food as our cat refuses to eat dry (won't even eat dry cat treats!), but he won't eat the wet either. I've tried serving it hot and cold, and even in desperation put some of my own albacore tuna on top of it but he refuses to touch it. He's gone through 3 meals now without eating anything (and I have to keep throwing the food out) and kept me up all last night whining. Every time I go into the kitchen he goes to his dish and just stares at me.

I don't know what to do! He's breaking my heart but I don't want to give in because I know it's better for him to eat the good quality food. Does anyone have any tips? How long do you think he can go without eating? I know everyone says if he gets hungry enough he'll eat, but he's gone up to 4 days before without anything when we've tried to switch his food (we gave in before him )

Any suggestions would be great

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My cat won't eat! Any tips? new
      #176399 - 05/04/05 05:36 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Don't know if you can get it there, but we give our cats something called Natures Best from Science Plan. It is high quality and has no additives colouring etc. We put our cats on it as Leo was really underweight after being ill. He is also a picky eater and won't eat treats but LOVES this new stuff. It is dry, but that is better for their teeth in the long run.

Otherwise just wait - the cat is not going to starve itself. When it it is hungry enough it will eat. Keep an eye on its weight and make sure it is drinking enough water .. and don't give in. Some commercial cat foods are so full of rubbish and have loads of negative health implications for the long run.

#176511 - 05/04/05 09:58 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

How'd you make it through the night??

I know how difficult this is for you Kelly, I've been through it. Have you tried mixing the new stuff with the old? I know it's important to put kitty on a better quality food, but it's also important to be able to get him to eat. Buy the canned of both and slowly mix in the new stuff... very slowly. I would also like to suggest using some kind of fiber supplement like Benefiber or Acacia. My kitty has IBS and I use the Benefiber... he is also very finicky, but since he can't smell the Benefiber or taste it, it works perfectly.

A couple of things to consider... #1, a cat won't eat what he can't smell, and #2, just like people with IBS, you need to give him a food that's easy to digest and doesn't have all kinds of artificial ingredients. I've used a number of different brands... the unfortunate thing with my cat is that he also has hairball issues and vomits easily, so I keep him on a prescription diet now.

When searching for a good quality food for his sensitive system, look for something that has chicken and rice in it. Solid Gold (purple label) is probably the best out there in my opinion. Sensible Choice is also a good one. There is another brand out there that's sold in most stores that is made with rabbit and potato, but I can't remember the name of it. I had really good luck starting out with it because of the strong odor. I'm sure if you ask a store employee to help you out in finding it, they'd be more than willing.

I know you're feeling very overwhelmed with this and it's hard to listen to your kitty cry for food, but you have to be strong Kelly. He knows eventually you'll give in, so that's why he continues with his protests. Make sure he has plenty of water so he doesn't get dehydrated. A cat's instincts are based completely on survival, so he will eventually eat... probably when you're not looking so as to avoid the feeling of defeat.

Be strong Kelly! I know you can do it!! Just keep telling yourself that it's for his own good... and maybe sit down and have a talk with him about it. Tell him how important it is for him to eat his new food and why. Good luck!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#177322 - 05/07/05 04:17 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I don't know if you found a solution yet, but we had some major trouble with our kitty awhile ago - he was on some kinda of food and hated it and lost a bunch of weight and I had to switch his foods.

The vet actually told me to wein him off the other stuff by mixing the two together for a short amount of time...slowly add the new stuff in the with old and then slowly take the old out and make more new....if you follow that LOL

It worked and we never had any trouble after that.

Hope your kitty starts eating soon

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#177412 - 05/08/05 07:47 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Is kitty eating yet?

Is your cat old or young? Did your vet do a full blood work-up to rule out everthing bad?

Hang in there, & good luck.

sperry_twiggins

#177422 - 05/08/05 09:04 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Tie a mouse to his dish?

BUMP! new
      #177753 - 05/09/05 02:10 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hi Kelly!

I'm just wondering how things have gone with kitty! I hope well!

Feel better!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#177808 - 05/09/05 06:18 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for all of your advice Kitty absolutely refused to eat the other stuff, wouldn't eat it mixed with the old, on it's own or in any other combinations I could think of. I eventually had to start giving him his other food because he was going too long without eating...I really don't know what it is with him that makes him so picky. I plan to take him to the vet soon to see what they say, give him a work-up and see if there's anythign wrong and if they have any better suggestions for switching his food.

Thanks again,
Kelly

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 612 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1711

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review