All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO!
      #176213 - 05/03/05 01:00 PM

Unregistered

So my internet boy just text messaged me and asked if I'd be up for getting coffee tonight. I know I must seem seriously lame but what do I do?! The whole dating thing and I are a bit unfamiliar and I've only been talking to this boy for like a week! Granted he seems very nice and trustworthy (yes, from what I've gathered only through his words) but still. I have no idea what to do and I realize why I avoid these situations all the time - I don't like to be put on the spot and uncomfortable.

So someone tell me what to do!!
AH!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO! new
      #176214 - 05/03/05 01:03 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I'm not sure what the dilemma is? Are you tongue tied and nervous or concerned about him being safe or both?

i'll repsond when I know whcih one to respond to

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

haha new
      #176215 - 05/03/05 01:05 PM

Unregistered

Good question. I suppose it's a combination of all the above. Considering that it has been a week is this a crazy thing to do in terms of safety?

Plus let's just face it I don't date like at all so then if I do go then I don't know what to do either - especially when it's someone who is pretty much a complete stranger.

Haha I think I'm confusing myself!

not to mention... new
      #176216 - 05/03/05 01:09 PM

Unregistered

That today I've heard about 3 previews for Montel's show today on the nightmares that come from meeting someone on the internet...including a lady whose daughter was molested by the man, and another where a girl was beaten in a car with her guy's belt. Is this a sign??

Re: haha new
      #176217 - 05/03/05 01:11 PM
Snow for Sarala

Can you make it a double date? I wouldn't want to go alone either!

I think that makes it safer on all accounts. And if he REALLY wants to meet you, he'll go for it. If not...his loss!

At least, that's what I would do! It can be scary meeting someone on the net! he should def. understand...

*hugs* Keep us posted!

P.S. If you like this guy...and you WANT to go on the date, you're gonna be GREAT and he's gonna love you! What's not to love Brittany!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO! new
      #176220 - 05/03/05 01:14 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Go to a busy place and make sure a friend knows where you are... and set a time that you will call him or her to let them know how you are.

Do you know what he looks like?

Also, for the 1st time... I would say, don't leave with him to anywhere.... and don't take the "normal" route home... just in case. NOT trying to scare you... just be on your toes.

Shane & I meet online and so did my Sister & her guy.... so it CAN work out....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: not to mention... new
      #176221 - 05/03/05 01:14 PM
Snow for Sarala

I don't know if it's a SIGN but PLEASE don't meet him alone.

I would bring a friend for security AND to see if the guy is a creep. AND I would meet in a public place.

Brittany, if you have a bad feeling about this though...don't do it! You don't owe anyone anything....do what you feel comfortable and happy about doing!

I know you'll do the right thing for you...but we're here if you need us!!!! *big big hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#176223 - 05/03/05 01:15 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

hmm, if you meet him I would advise meet somewhere public and not alone (ie bring a friend)

This is a very Irish qusstion but do you know anyone in common that could check him out eg do you know someone at his school etc?

I am a bad person to give advice on this...the only people I met from the Internet were Dalia and Tommy!

Maybe talk to him on the phone first??

OK I am useless...

--------------------
S.

Ok...... new
      #176225 - 05/03/05 01:17 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Set up a place and time to meet him. Tell him you only have an hour or so to hang out as you have lots of "thing" to do. That way if it doesn't go well you can leave. If it does go well, suggest getting together tomorrow or on the weekend.

Do you want to see him?

Also, don't forget that you're beautiful, funny and sweet and that he will like you in person.

Thanks Shell new
      #176226 - 05/03/05 01:17 PM

Unregistered

Well I appreciate the advice. And yes I do know what he looks like.

I can't wait to hear what my mom thinks of this....:)

Re: Ok...... new
      #176229 - 05/03/05 01:19 PM

Unregistered

Thanks Tina! I will definitely have to find a way to make an out. LOL this is CRAZY! For me at least...though I find that your quote there is speaking to me a bit.

Re: Thanks Shell new
      #176231 - 05/03/05 01:20 PM
Snow for Sarala

Shell's advice is better than mine...i say follow her lead

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Ok...... new
      #176232 - 05/03/05 01:21 PM
Sara-Sage

Live a little Brit!!!!

Go for it! Just meet in public and, as others said, do not leave with him. And don't let him walk you home until you know he's A-ok!

#176233 - 05/03/05 01:21 PM

Unregistered

I can't exactly bring a friend because everyone just left today to go back home since yesterday was our last day of school. And my other friends aren't back in town yet from their schools.

And I wish I knew someone that could check him out. But I don't. Darn it!

Okay I have to run to my interview for another nanny job. I will figure this out though!

#176234 - 05/03/05 01:21 PM
Snow for Sarala

Ooooh I def think talking on the phone is a super idea!

Sinead, Hubby and I met on the net...but we shared the same Rabbi so we were able to know we were decent people before we even spoke on the phone...an Irish AND Jewish thing

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#176289 - 05/03/05 04:13 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

This might sound corny / unromantic, but could you bring one of your brothers?

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#176307 - 05/03/05 04:55 PM

Unregistered

Haha that's not corny. I told my mom and she actually suggested the same thing. I don't know though...the whole entire thing leaves me clueless. Meanwhile as the night goes on and I wait for him to get back to me, the more I think I'd rather put on my pajamas and just not leave...lol. I suppose I must face this sooner or later, and better with someone I'd never have to see again, right? (at least I'd hope).

By the way Amanda, I was going to respond to the post dedicated to you, but I seriously hope you don't go anywhere. Things just got out of control and it's hard to understand what people mean online. You are a fabulous person and we need you around!

And how's your stamp club apartment working out?? I still think that that's the coolest thing.

What's a stamp card apartment??? n-t new
      #176311 - 05/03/05 05:21 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: What's a stamp card apartment??? n-t new
      #176330 - 05/03/05 06:51 PM

Unregistered

This should explain it! web page

So did you go?!?!??! -nt- new
      #176358 - 05/03/05 08:51 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

--------------------

Brittany- UPDATE REQUIRED!!!! n/t new
      #176390 - 05/04/05 04:43 AM
cailin

--------------------
S.

Hahaha....ok here's the small update (long) new
      #176412 - 05/04/05 06:22 AM

Unregistered

So I told I was free and would go but he didn't get back to me until close to 9 last night and at that point it was pouring rain out and I'd just ate dinner and I don't know, I just wasn't feeling it anymore. So I asked if we could wait another night.

So then he got online and we were talking and I was explaining that I'd lost the nerve for the night too and it was a long story but I hope he'd understand. So then he was all nice and asked what happened. Well I'll give you all the short of it: I had signed up on an online database for families searching for babysitters. I didn't think there'd be anyone in my town that would use it but I was bored and filled one out anyway (I need to watch what I do when I'm bored and near the internet apparently!). So that first family I told you about that I'm nannying for over the summer that wants to take me to London and stuff I met through this site. And the parents have to pay to search through it so I just didn't feel like it would be too sketchy. Well I was lucky with that family because they are fabulous and pay me SO well. Well last week I was contacted by another family with a 10 year girl that I'd watch like 3 nights a week and on weekends. So I went to interview with the mom yesterday and I was not prepared for how weird it was. So the mom tells me that she's recently divorced...and her house was really really run down and I'm thinking that what they can pay me probably isn't worth all I'd have to do for this family (picking the girl up in my car from camp or various family/friend houses, making dinner, helping with homework, etc). Then the mom, who seemed very nervous the whole time, was saying that the girl's dad and her other friends were against this whole getting a sitter idea and that they'd probably all want to meet me too. So I thought that was a little understandable. But then as we're going to the door to leave she says that her ex-husband will probably stop by alot and randomly when I babysit just to check up on me and make sure I'm not abducting their daughter (they are worried about all these abductions we've had down here lately). Well then I got to the car and realized how uncomfortable and odd that would be to have a random (and probably sketchy) ex-husband just popping in late at night. I don't know..it just rubs me the wrong way.

So I told him the short of that story, and then I was propositioned by like 4 creepy men yesterday plus the Montel tv show about the nightmares of online dating...and all that combined I was definitely not in the mood to throw caution to the wind and meet another random person as I was sufficiently creeped out enough yesterday.

And of course he was so nice and concerned for me. And we chatted and laughed about some stuff and then later he asks if I'd be up for doing something today. So I guess I didn't get out of it long enough...so I suppose I'll have to call him today and work something out to do. Why is this so hard for me?! Geez!

So that's the update for now - alot and alot of nothing at the same time. haha..well I'll let you all know how it goes if I do something with him today IF and when I work up the nerve for that. I don't like when the ball is in my court!

Yep....I MUST know first...... new
      #176421 - 05/04/05 06:30 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Havent been able to reply to your posts with the masses of work I have, but obviousy I already knew about your situation and all, hope everything goes well today....I say go for it...even if your legs end up shaking and u feel like ur gona pass out at the thought....trust me that time I went over to dans flat on my own to ask fof him I thought I was gona die!! I know how nervous u wil be but you never know I bet you'll feel comfortable with him right away, thats what happened the first time with me and I thought what have I been worrying about for so long?? I think meeting him for an hour or two is harmless and remember u can always make an excuse to leave if things dont feel right...I HATE the ball being in my court too, but just see how it goes, go with the flow dont over analysise and plan and stuff thats what I do ALL the time and it causes nothing but stress!! I REALLY hope things work out.....u MUST keep me updated!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK.....YOU WONT NEED IT!!!!

--------------------
Natalie

LoL new
      #176424 - 05/04/05 06:30 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I used to hate when the ball was in my court too!
Good luck today if you go....
Do you have a picture of this guy or anything?

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: LoL new
      #176426 - 05/04/05 06:32 AM

Unregistered

Haha thanks Cara.

And yeah I do have a picture. Should I post it?!? haha...

Yea POST IT!!!! n/t new
      #176428 - 05/04/05 06:33 AM
Natalie1985

--------------------
Natalie

Yeah! :) new
      #176430 - 05/04/05 06:34 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Then we can all check and see if he's wanted in any of the states.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Hahaha....ok here's the small update (long) new
      #176457 - 05/04/05 07:22 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Oh have fun and definatelyy keep this old married lady updated on the fun of dating!

i agree POST THE PIC BRITTANY! N/T new
      #176553 - 05/04/05 12:06 PM
cailin

--------------------
S.

#176560 - 05/04/05 12:21 PM
Sara-Sage

So when are you going to meet him?

Go for it girlfriend! new
      #176584 - 05/04/05 01:02 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

No need to be shy, this is how things get done nowadays. But, please be careful! I think shell gave you awesome advice. I like the taking a different route home, never would of thought of htat myself!
If you do not meet him, you will spend alot of time thinking of the 'what ifs'. Even if he turns out to be a loser, atleast it can warm you up to the wide world of dating! You are much too cute and talented to have no boys on the side (not that you NEED one, but they have their advantages once in awhile!)

--------------------
-Sheri

#176660 - 05/04/05 06:35 PM

Unregistered

We have a movie date for Friday night. I think I've seriously spent more of the day talking to him then not talking to him. It's very funny. I definitely feel much more comfortable meeting him after getting to know him so much better. I just hope that I like him in person as much as I do online.

Sheri new
      #176662 - 05/04/05 06:39 PM

Unregistered

Thanks! That was such a nice post! And I agree..if I dont do it then I'll always wonder.

So I'm planning on going to a movie with him on Friday night. Talk about nervous excitement!

ok here goes...drum roll.... new
      #176666 - 05/04/05 06:48 PM

Unregistered

Haha tell me what you guys think.

I think he's cute.

I'm worried that won't know him right away when I see him in person though..it's weird how different people can look in pictures versus in person.

So any thoughts??

Re: ok here goes...drum roll.... new
      #176673 - 05/04/05 07:01 PM
Snow for Sarala

Awwww.Brittany he IS cute! Hope he's worthy of dating such a wonderful gal!!!!!

Def. keep us posted! Soooo exciting *happy dance* Even if it doesn't work out...it's fun to go out!

Love ya!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: ok here goes...drum roll.... new
      #176687 - 05/04/05 07:41 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

yeah he's a cutie!

I'm so happy for you! I need to find a boy.. maybe i'll try my luck online if it doesn't happen soon!

GOOD LUCK.. what movie are you going to?!? Don't back out though beacuse if he sucks.. its only one night.. but if he's awesome.. then its totally worth it.

--------------------

soooo excited for you..... new
      #176726 - 05/05/05 01:14 AM
Natalie1985

I have nervous excitemement for you too....ooooh I really hope this works out for you, you deserve it soooo much, you are too much of a fabulous person to be boyfriendless this summer, I really hope you guys have fun and enjoy it!! I CANT wait to hear all the gossip when you get back....and yea he is cute.......ooooh this is too much excitement for me....must go work!! hehehe

--------------------
Natalie

#176751 - 05/05/05 06:31 AM
Sara-Sage

Alright a movie date!!!!! That's wonderful. I hope he is as nice in person as he is online.

BRITTANY new
      #176937 - 05/05/05 03:48 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Hey.. what website did you meet this guy on?!?

ps.. do you have AIM.. or does anyone?

--------------------

Re: BRITTANY new
      #176943 - 05/05/05 04:07 PM

Unregistered

I met him Yahoo Personals...haha why, are you looking??

And yeah I have aim...Britania17 is my screenname if you have it too.

Take a friend and an armed guard. new
      #176951 - 05/05/05 04:31 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

And don't drink the coffee. Bring me back a biscotti.

Re: Take a friend and an armed guard. new
      #176955 - 05/05/05 04:42 PM

Unregistered

hahaha you're too funny. no coffee, 2 biscottis...check!

Glad to see you back to your normal silly self again by the way.

Re: Take a friend and an armed guard. new
      #176958 - 05/05/05 04:46 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

LOL! I do it for you, the loyal fans.

Seriously, have fun and be safe! Love it elusive and it pays to take a chance to make a connection. And if he's a dog, email us right away and dish!

Immediate turn-offs should include mentioning his mother, heavy mouth breathing, and showing you his cool college ID picture where everybody thinks he looks so moviestar cute and don't you agree.

Good luck, chica!! We're with you!!!!

Could you... new
      #176961 - 05/05/05 05:03 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

make that three biscotti? I really love biscotti...

Re: Could you... new
      #176962 - 05/05/05 05:05 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

mmmmmmm... biscotti...

- Vincent

lol new
      #176978 - 05/05/05 06:35 PM

Unregistered

no problem i'm on it!! biscottis all around!!

Re: BRITTANY new
      #176980 - 05/05/05 06:46 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

haha.. i've gone since feb. without a date.. which is pretty depressing for me! so i'll keep my options open.. lemme know how it goes for you and maybe i'll try it out.

anyways.. i added you to my buddylist.. my screenname is the same as the one here with an extra 8 added on the very end after the 3.

--------------------

Re: lol new
      #177053 - 05/06/05 06:34 AM
Sheri01

I never had biscotti, am I missing out???

Oh, and I am not on much, but my S/N on AIM is EmusAreEvil309 if anyone is interested!

--------------------
-Sheri

Today's the big day!!!!!!!! new
      #177059 - 05/06/05 06:49 AM
Snow for Sarala

Just want you to know I'm thinkin about ya! Hope it goes super...and def. give details when you get back!!!! *hugs*

And....know how special you are Britt! Any guy has to be SUPERMAN to be good enough for you

Lotsa love and hoping it goes great,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Good luck tonight Britney! new
      #177131 - 05/06/05 11:23 AM
Sheri01

And make sure you update by Monday!!!!
I feel so excited for you!

--------------------
-Sheri

Yep ditto....cant wait to hear the goss!! n/t new
      #177146 - 05/06/05 12:35 PM
Natalie1985

--------------------
Natalie

GOOD LUCK Brit! -nt- new
      #177158 - 05/06/05 01:18 PM
Sara-Sage

Brit, only saw this now new
      #177896 - 05/10/05 03:47 AM
cailin

he IS cute.
Does he look like his pic?

--------------------
S.

SINEAD new
      #177903 - 05/10/05 05:57 AM

Unregistered

Yeah he does look like his pic..but definitely cuter in person.

Re: SINEAD new
      #177907 - 05/10/05 06:29 AM
cailin

..they all are cuter in person I think...

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 249 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18911

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review