All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Milo and Otis...introducing Shana to a kitty....
      #175065 - 04/29/05 10:08 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I HAVE to have a cat. I have no friends and there are no sexual abuse support groups where I live. I'm soooo lonely. The only thing that brings me any consolation is animals and plants and produce LOL Anything living!!!! When people find out you're a survivor many folks don't want to be your friend anymore. Animals always love you (thank G-d my husband still loves me!)

I want a cat. Yes, I'm allergic. BUT if I keep my allergy bucket empty of food allergies I should be ok (I was taught that you have a bucket. When I fill it with, say, dustmites there is no room left for a cat. BUT if I keep my home clean I can have the cat...make sense?)

Anyhow...I am wondering what advice you can offer for introducing Shana...who loves to CHASE cats in the yard...to a cat. I've gotta do this right and have a good plan so hubby will be ok.

I can't wait to get a cat!!!!!

Also...any input on two cats vs. one?!?! I've read 2 cats keep each other out of trouble Anyone know anything about this/have experience in the matter?

Thanks everyone *big hugs*

P.S. I don't usually watch movies...but hubby and I rented Milo and Otis last night...soooo cute!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Milo and Otis...introducing Shana to a kitty.... new
      #175074 - 04/29/05 10:27 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

I HAVE to have a cat. I have no friends and there are no sexual abuse support groups where I live. I'm soooo lonely. The only thing that brings me any consolation is animals and plants and produce LOL Anything living!!!! When people find out you're a survivor many folks don't want to be your friend anymore. Why are people like this? I see you as a strong person with lots of good advice and a great attitude! You're a rare and very special person, Ruchie, and anyone who doesn't want to keep someone like you in his/her life must have issues. Animals always love you (thank G-d my husband still loves me!)

I want a cat. Yes, I'm allergic. BUT if I keep my allergy bucket empty of food allergies I should be ok (I was taught that you have a bucket. When I fill it with, say, dustmites there is no room left for a cat. BUT if I keep my home clean I can have the cat...make sense?) I like the bucket metaphor! I have a cousin with severe allergies and asthma, I'll have to share this with him! You can also have areas where the cat can't go--like your bedroom. I wonder if investing in an air filter would help? Have you decided if your cat will be indoors/outdoors?

Anyhow...I am wondering what advice you can offer for introducing Shana...who loves to CHASE cats in the yard...to a cat. I've gotta do this right and have a good plan so hubby will be ok. Ooh, I'm sorry. But I've never had a dog! I know, poor me. Someday, I hope I can get a dog.

I can't wait to get a cat!!!!!

Also...any input on two cats vs. one?!?! Two kittens are so much fun! Be ready for some crazy kitty hijinks--so funny. I would recommend getting two from the same litter or the same sex. I have one cat, but I sort of wish I had adopted two because now that she's older she's very territorial and will not stand for another cat even looking at us. I think we'd have to move to adopt another cat because then the new place would be neutral to both cats.

Thanks everyone *big hugs* Best wishes in finding a cat! Have you ever thought of getting a rabbit or guinea pigs? Are you allergice to these animals as well?

P.S. I don't usually watch movies...but hubby and I rented Milo and Otis last night...soooo cute!!!!! That is a cute movie and funny too!

Re: Milo and Otis...introducing Shana to a kitty.... new
      #175075 - 04/29/05 10:30 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have never had a dog so can't be of too much help, sorry! I have always had cats though. Taking care of two isn't really any harder than taking care of one! The vet bills are double of course Good luck and I hope to see pictures of the new family edition soon! Hugs

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Ruchie, introducing animals..... new
      #175204 - 04/29/05 07:57 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi Ruchie,
If possible when you select your pet see if you can pick it up a couple of days later. Get a blanket or something the kitty has been sleeping on so it will have her smell, take it home and introduce Shana to the blanket. Do this for a few days, leave it on the lounge etc, anywhere Kitty might be likely to sit, also maybe if you have a basket/box where she will sleep put another blanket there.
On the big day, bring Kitty home and put her in a room separate to Shana but not in Shana's room (eg if Shana's bedroom is the loungroom put kitty in an ajoining room) and shut the door, let Shana sniff kitty through the door for a couple of days if you can and vice versa so they know there is another animal in the house. After a couple of days you should be ready to put Shana on a lead (it can be helpful to also put kitty on one) and open the door so kitty can come in and see Shana but if possible it's better to take Shana into kitty so Shana doesn't feel her space is being invaded, and hang on to her tightly. Expect hissing and barking and panic, and only introduce them briefly before putting in separate rooms again, then just slowly increase the introduction times a few times a day over a few days. Hopefully they will get along, it might also be helpful to choose a kitty that is used to dogs if you're not getting a kitten. Hope this helps and good luck

--------------------
Amy

Great post! new
      #175270 - 04/30/05 07:17 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Yep, all of that is great advice. You might think about not getting a kitten and what breed of cat you get. Some like dogs more than others. When we decided to get a cat we wanted a Maine Coon because they're super friendly and get along well with dogs. We talked about getting a kitten from a rescue group, but the dogs wanted to chase the kitten and the kitten freaked out. Instead we got a 3 year old cat, Riley. We did exactly what she described, put them in separate rooms to get adjusted, but Riley wanted out right away. He strolled up to the dogs and started snuggling with them and in fifteen minutes the house was his. Because he was an older cat he was very confident and not worried about the dogs at all. And, older cats are much less often rescued! Good luck!

You guys sre amazing new
      #175597 - 05/01/05 09:33 PM
Snow for Sarala

I feel so loved and like you are my fam *big hugs*

Hubby said no to a cat in the end...remidning me I'm allergic We're trying to find a way I can visit a farm or something so I can be around animals without having them in closed quarters...

My dream has always been to live on a farm! Any ideas of where to go would be fab

Love to all, Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Hypoallergenic cats new
      #175800 - 05/02/05 12:30 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

There are a few breeds that are "hypoallergenic"- Sphynx and Cornish Rex. Rather than having fur, per se, they have skin that feels like velvet- very short, soft hair. They are kinda funny-looking... Here's one, and some info about them too...
but they have really sweet, affectionate personalities.
This might be something you'd want to look in to, if you'd like to have a cat.

Re: Hypoallergenic cats new
      #175824 - 05/02/05 01:13 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thank you sooo much for posting this! I was told by the local rescue group here that it is the protein in cat's saliva that make us allergic and their is no hypoallergenic cat...BUT I read in the latest issue of Prevention mag that they are somehow going to have hypoallergenic cats for sale in 2007. I think they are bredding them somehow? Sounded fishy to me!

For now I will have to settle for our pup Shana I'm afraid. I was at the PetSmart and a woman offered me a FREE ADOPTION card that she had! Hubby STILL said no the kitty. I guess it's not what I'm supposed to have for now...

Thanks again PTillen *big hugs* Love your cat in your pic

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#175830 - 05/02/05 01:26 PM
chinagrl

You're right Ruchie, I was going to add earlier that I have read many times that there's really no such thing as a hypoallergenic animal, that it's in the saliva and everything the cat breathes on or puts its mouth on would have the allergens. This would especially be dangerous if your cat gives kisses like mine! Anyway, I always say animals come into your life when it's time to have them, so it's good that you have a wonderful puppy to keep you company now.

Kinda funny looking..... new
      #175837 - 05/02/05 01:45 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

...Paula, you're too kind. They look like aliens! he he

Alien kitties from Planet Sphynx new
      #175844 - 05/02/05 02:09 PM
ptillen

They do look like aliens, don't they? I met one at a cat show once; in person they fall into the "so homely that they're cute" category.
They're awfully sweet though- very affectionate and schnoozly. I'd get one even though I don't have an allergy issue- except that they're also kinda pricey.

Re: Alien kitties from Planet Sphynx new
      #175849 - 05/02/05 02:17 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I'd get one and prance it around my neighbourhood. he he Wouldn't that be fun.

But seriously they are so ugly they're cute! Now I want one!

How are ya Paula? Have things calmed down for you yet?

#175904 - 05/02/05 04:12 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Jenny, Paula, and Tina!

jenny, did you get my response e-mail a few days back?

Paula...thank you for thinking of me! maybe I WILL get a cat one day....for now Shana is getting all our afections!

Tina...going to check on the e-mail now....can;t WAIT to see pics of your place!

Love to you all *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#175908 - 05/02/05 04:24 PM
chinagrl

Yes, I got your email. Ended like I thought it would, didn't it? Ah well Ruchie- I don't think there was anything to be done.

#175942 - 05/02/05 06:02 PM
Snow for Sarala

I'm pretty upset about it I just wrote a poem actually...I had to get it out. It was bothering me....

How are you doing? How's school? How's your family? I hope super! Thanks for e-mailing me...feel free to keep in touch *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#175943 - 05/02/05 06:03 PM
chinagrl

I liked your poem. I'll email you more about it offline...

#175958 - 05/02/05 06:59 PM
ptillen

I love him too... he's a fifteen pound Persian named Maurice. Pretty much the king of the universe. He's sitting right next to the computer even as I type this. Quite the personality.

Re: Expensive Alien kitties from Planet Sphynx new
      #175960 - 05/02/05 07:02 PM
ptillen

For a mere $1500 you can own one.
I'm well, thanks so much for asking. Breathed a huuuuuuge sigh a relief when April came to a close on Saturday; now things will start to settle down a little bit.
I'm thinking this summer will be- well- not uneventful, but not stressful either. Full of creative & intellectual stimulation of a good type. I'm really excited about all the composing I'll be doing.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1000 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2193

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review