Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Sick Kitty
      #173698 - 04/26/05 12:09 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

Hi all,
I am feeling so stressed today. I took my cat to the vet yesterday and he has been diagnosed with kidney failure. They have him on an iv and are giving him something to balance his blood chemistry (kitty dialysis?). Anyway, he's given a 20% chance of pulling through this. What really sucks is that we went through this 2 and a half years ago with another kitty we had. Yes, he didn't make it. It was so hard for me to go through that, I don't want to go through it again.

I'm just so stressed and upset, and I'm sort of stuck with my husband out of town for the day and my oldest daughter out of town on a school related trip until tomorrow. I feel like I'm having to deal with this alone.

On top of everything I'm going to school and we're at the last 2 and a half weeks of classes. So, I have papers and finals looming.

I also had a pretty bad night's sleep last night, so on top of everything I'm tired which makes me more teary than I probably would be. The only good thing is that I seem to have my D under control. Usually it is worse in the morning, but I haven't had too much trouble so far.

Anyway, I just needed to vent. I don't feel like the people I know really understand the whole pet=family thing. Very few of them have pets. So, I don't feel like I have a sympathetic ear around here. From what I've seen, this is a very understanding group...when I joined I said I would need some shoulders to cry on...I just didn't think I'd need it so bad.

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

(((((((((HUGS))))))))))) new
      #173699 - 04/26/05 01:00 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I totally understand. I lost our childhood kitty to kidney failure after she had her teeth scraped. She was an elderly cat though. They are our babies and it breaks our heart when we lose one or they are sick. I'll be thinking of you and hoping your kitty pulls through.

--------------------
Amy

Re: (((((((((HUGS))))))))))) new
      #173714 - 04/26/05 04:00 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Can you get her on a new diet or something to help? My old dog went through something similar and pulled through. Hopefully your kitty will to.

#173718 - 04/26/05 04:10 AM
momof2

I hope so. I know Science Diet makes a great cat food just for kidney problems. If he starts to eat after the treatment he is going through then maybe the food will fix him up. Right now we are concentrating on getting him eating so he can come home.

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

Re: Sick Kitty new
      #173787 - 04/26/05 08:16 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

My dog Shana is my lifeline! (Read the post in the Living Room called "What does Your Pet mean To You?)

So I understand *big hugs*

Pets ARE family!

You poor thing! Until your daughter/hubby return...feel free to post here all day long! Sooo many of us have pets. And we are all here for you!!!!!

i'm thrilled your tummy is doing ok! Way to go there!

I wish I could say something to make things better....

Feel free to e-mail me anytime, Ruchily@yahoo.com

Sending you love and kitty prayers,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#173788 - 04/26/05 08:23 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh, I'm so sorry. How heart wrenching. I hope your kitty pulls through. Big, big hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#173823 - 04/26/05 10:18 AM
momof2

Thanks for your supporting words...it means a lot. Right now I'm in a holding pattern waiting for the doc to call and let me know what's happening. Unfortunatly, I live in a french speaking area and my french is only good for ordering food and getting driving directions The doc speaks english but his staff does not so I can't really call him, I have to cool my heels and wait on him Anyway, if I still don't hear anything by tomorrow I think I'll drive down there with a picture of kitty to show the receptionist. Maybe she can grab the doc to come talk to me...

Of course, this language thing mutltiplies the stress for me. My daughter, the one who went to germany, speaks french well enough and could call them and talk to the receptionist and be able to get her point across. She doesn't come home until tomorrow evening...

sigh...anyway, my photo is actually my kitty. His name is Kato. He's a tough old guy, he turns 11 right around July 4th. He has been with us for so many moves...coast to coast and now overseas (we are a military family BTW).

Anyway, thanks so much for being here for me. I'll probably post tons before this thing is said and done.

Hugs back
Karyn

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

#174142 - 04/26/05 08:20 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I'm so sorry for your boy's illness.
I'm not a vet, but I've lost 4 cats to renal failure (don't be alarmed- they were far older than Kato) and this is what I know about it. It's a very common cause of death in old cats (I'm talking 16 and beyond here)- but a cat's kidneys can be supported for quite some time through diet, meds, even subcutaneous hydration. I knew one old lady cat named Wanda, who lived to be 20, and lived for several years after her renal failure was first diagnosed. There will probably be many, many things you'll be able to do to keep him comfortably, happily alive for quite some time to come.
Hope this is a little helpful to you as you await word from the vet.

Hill's Science is what my doggy had/has... new
      #174219 - 04/27/05 04:22 AM
Linz

...it's good stuff! Hope he gets to come home soon.

#174244 - 04/27/05 05:53 AM
momof2

Bad news...Kitty passed away this morning. The vet called this morning and said to get down there as soon as possible if we wanted to see him before he went. I was grateful for the half hour I had with him. He was very special to me.

Thank you all for your encouraging words. It means the world to me.

Karyn

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

I'm so sorry. new
      #174251 - 04/27/05 06:20 AM
Linz

{{{{hugs}}}}

I know nothing can make this better.

#174300 - 04/27/05 08:08 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh, I'm so terribly sorry. How sad. I cried for DAYS when my Coco pasted away almost 4 years ago. She dies in my arms at home but I still took her to the vet to be sure she was gone, I just didn't want to accept it. We buried her in my garden and bought a cute little kitty stepping stone to mark it with. I now talk to her all the time when I'm out in my garden. Try to do a little something to remember kitty by, like plant a tree or frame a special picture of her. This is making me cry, I'm so sorry!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#174335 - 04/27/05 09:02 AM
mira314

Reged: 04/27/05

I'm am so sorry to hear you lost your kitty! I have cats and I love them like my children. It is terrible to watch a pet go through kidney failure and yet you had to twice. My heart goes out to you.

Karyn, I am SO sorry new
      #174343 - 04/27/05 09:23 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am practically crying as I reas this....Karyn I am so sorry *huge hugs*

If you want to do a memorial on the boards you are more than welcome...

I am sorry for your loss.........

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#174374 - 04/27/05 10:20 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I'm so sorry. I am a fellow cat lover.

((((((HUGS)))))))) new
      #174549 - 04/27/05 04:37 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Karen, I'm so sorry. I'm glad you got to say goodbye. This is such a sad time when one of our babies passes away.

--------------------
Amy

big hug to you and your kitty new
      #174612 - 04/27/05 09:45 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

oh wow i am so very sorry hi im ashley. i have a little kitty too. his name is joey and he is my little baby. i completely understand pets being just as close as family b/c for so long, joey was my bestfriend and still is. i got him when i was 13 and he's been so close to me and only me up until now, at 19; only i dont get to see him too much as i live w/my BF who is allergic. im hunting for a anti-hystamine that is vegan-organic, but until then i miss him tons. i cant imagine what youre going thru as ive never lost a pet. but i know if ilost my joey, i myself just wouldnt feel the same. it sounds like youre going thru a pretty stressful time and the added pressures of school and daily things probably dont help too much. hang in there hun, even if the very worst happens, be as strong as you can. im sending you a *hug* and ill keep a good thought for your kitty. thats him in the picture?? he's so cute!! whats his name?

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#174625 - 04/28/05 12:57 AM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Hi there,
Only just read your post about your kitty. I know exactly what you are going through as I went through this myself with my sick cat. What is sad is that this is the second time. Sincerely hope that kitty is better now. I hope and pray that nothing happens to kitty. Lots of hugs to you and kitty. Please keep us informed. Love Jenny

#174650 - 04/28/05 04:01 AM
momof2

Thank you all for your comforting words. Last night my 18 year old daughter came home from her class trip and we had to break the news to her. She took it hard...I think she thought he'd pull through.

Anyway, we took him to be cremated this morning. They are very respectful here in Belgium. They had him layed out in a room with a tiny bouquet. They gave us time to say our last good bye. They placed his ashes in a beautiful handmade urn. They really treated him as special even though they spoke no english and we spoke very little french.

Anyhow, I'm hanging in there. My 16 year old and I took yesterday and watched movies and just spent time together. It made the day more bearable.

Well, thanks again for all the loving support.

Karyn

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

#174933 - 04/29/05 01:00 AM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

I am so very, very sorry to learn about your kitty passing away. My friends here say that you should get another one soon. Sending you tons of hugs dear. Jenny

#174968 - 04/29/05 05:47 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

So sorry to hear about your kitty! I love cats but unfortunatley am allegic to them. Otherwise I would have two or three!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1120

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review