All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Migraine Struggles
      #172999 - 04/23/05 04:10 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Since I posted last I have had 3 migraines, one lasting 3 days. I am incredibly frustrated. I'm going back to the neurologist May 4. But it looks like I'm going to have to accept that the attacks are just completely unpredictable. I've been keeping a migraine diary for over a year now and there is no consistent pattern. Sometimes that time of month does it, sometimes I'm fine. Sometimes the weather does it, other times I'm fine. Sometimes getting too tired triggers one or staying out too late, sometimes not. Sometimes bright light does it, sometimes no problem. Sometimes smells trigger me, other times not.

It's kind of like living with an alcoholic -- you never know if he or she is going to be okay or smashed!

At least IBS is predictable. If I cheat, I pay. But migraines seem to have a mind of their own. I guess I'm just going to always have to have a Plan B. Plan A is what I'll do if I feel okay and Plan B is what I'll do instead if I get a migraine.

I'm not counting the days anymore at the suggestion of someone on the migraine board. When she gets one, she notes down how long it has been, but she doesn't like to get her hopes up by counting every day.

So we'll see if this approach works any better for me. My new goal is to just not get upset when I get one. A very low hurdle that maybe I can manage. As if it's no worse than a cold.

Hope you all are doing well.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh, LS new
      #173008 - 04/23/05 06:16 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm so sorry to hear your migraines are back to giving you worse trouble. Darn it. I'm starting to see what that's like - I don't have them myself, but Adam has migraines and sometimes he's really suffering - so I can just imagine how frustrating it is for you.

Your new approach may be a really good idea. When my IBS was at its worst, I set a similar goal, and although it didn't help with the attacks, I think my head was in a better space for it.

Anyway... good luck, feel better, and I'm still thinking of ya!

Sorry your head is causing you pain! new
      #173029 - 04/23/05 08:08 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Now that tummy is behaving, the head has to act up! Geesh!

It's that big brain of yours, Laura Sue! You're just too smart for your own good.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Sorry your head is causing you pain! new
      #173121 - 04/24/05 11:52 AM
LauraSue

Beth, THAT made me grin! Thanks.

And Casey and Shelby, thanks for your support.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

{{{hugs}}} new
      #173302 - 04/24/05 10:38 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah, I gave up trying to predict migraines ages ago...so many things affect them it's nuts - I mean how are you supposed to compute the braometric pressure, the temperature, what you ate, what you drank, where you went, is someone using a different cleaner?, the time time of year, the pollen count, the air pollution, how much sleep you've had.............?

Have you tried Imigran? I know it's not a preventative, but finding out how to get it to work for me was a major breakthrough in dealing with my migraines.

{{{hugs}}}

Re: {{{hugs}}} new
      #173461 - 04/25/05 11:33 AM
LauraSue

Hi, Linz,

Yes you summed that up perfectly, that's exactly how it feels to try to predict these attacks.

I do use Imigran, it's called Imitrex here and it's a miracle drug for me for treating the episode. For example one day last week I got an attack about 5pm, took one and by 7pm I was well enough to sit up and watch TV with Andy!

So I guess I just have to learn to deal with the complete unpredictability of the attacks and always have a Plan B.

Hope you're doing well. Thanks as ever.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 372 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1032

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review