All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
BathingSuits and RazorBurn
      #172138 - 04/21/05 08:50 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Ok Girls, as some of you may remember, I've been taking an after work water aerobics class at the local YMCA. I originally went out and bought a tankini kinda thing with boy short bottoms. The bottoms covered up my bikini area but wouldn't stay in place and rode uo terribly! So, I bought a conservative on piece suit that fits fine but I have to shave the dreaded bikini area.

So, I've been shaving about three-four times a week since December and its just awful! I thought the razor burn would go away if I kept at it but its just getting worse! I've treid Witch Hazel, Bikini Zone Cream with Lidocane which helped a little with the pain but didn't do anything for the huge, red bumps. Someone told me to try Destitin diaper rash cream, been using it for 2 weeks and its not helping much either. Avoiding the fact that it looks AWFUL, I mean REALLY bad, it hurts!

I checked into the lasar hair removal but you can not do that while pregnant and I hope to be pregnant in the next month or two. So, whats a girl to do??? I found this suit here http://stores.piamedia.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=h2o&Product_Code=PSA1&Category_Code=unitank&Product_Count=2 but when I showed it to Will he made a funny face and said he thought he had better not comment! Well, I got to thinking, Will won't ever see me in it. Its just a bunch of ladies working out in the pool, its not like I'm trying to impress anyone or pick up guys. All the other ladies just wear conservative one piece suits but I just can't take this razor burn anymore! I've had to go days without panties because it hurts so much! But, I don't want to draw any extra attention to myself either by wearing a suit thats so different from everyone elses. The other good thing about this suit is that it will also hide my stretch marks on my thighs and comes in LONG torso! I don't mind paying the money as its not supposed to fade or stretch so it will last a long time but will I look like a dork in it??? Come on now guys, HONEST opinions please!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: BathingSuits and RazorBurn new
      #172142 - 04/21/05 08:57 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I wouldn't go to the beach in it but for working out at the YMCA, why not? Have you tried waxing the bikini area?

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Honest opinion! new
      #172143 - 04/21/05 08:58 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

yes, it is dorky! But, you know what it is like to be 21, something dorky to me may not be to someone else. But, on the otherhand, at the gym I go to, people dress dorky all the time. Some of the older members are DEFINATELY stuck in a time warp with the leotard workout gear they sport. You may look at them funny, but at the end of the day, does anyone really care what they wear? I don't. Too into what I am doing.
And, you also have to think, if you aren't too shy to wear a goofy bathing suit in front of others, would it be ok for you to shave once a week? have you been using shaving cream (sure you have though)? Will anyone notice? maybe wrap around a towel til you about to jump in.
I don't get reazor burn, but I do get the red shaving bumps, so if someone does have more advice for those I know that I would love to hear it!

--------------------
-Sheri

#172144 - 04/21/05 08:59 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Isn't razor burn the worst? I hate it and have not yet been able to find a way to avoid it in that area. I think the suit is kinda cute to be honest, certainly different but not in a bad way I saw go for it if it'll make you comfortable...that's what's important!

If you want to try and stay with your current suit, have you considered waxing? I know it's supposed to be pretty painful but I think it would eliminate the razor burn.

Re: Waxing new
      #172156 - 04/21/05 09:16 AM
michele

Yes, I've waxed it twice in the past. The last time was last year before we went on our cruise. It hurts like the dickens and stays red and sore for a couple of days and withing two weeks, its growing back in. If I could get away with waxing, say, once every 6-8 weeks, I might be willing to endure the pain but it just doesn't seem to last that long!

I always use LOTS of shaving cream and change my razor often. I REALLY thought is I just kept doing it, that the razor burn would go away but its been about 5 months now and its no better, I'd say even abit worse. I've always had this issue and usually just use "mower" style clippers to keep in from getting too unruley but I just can't get away with doing that and wearing a bathingsuit in public!

No, I'd never wear it to a beach or anything like that, but I guess for just working out, it would be fine. The only other people in the pool area are the other ladies in the class and sometimes some little kids and the life guard. I feel uncomfortbale enough just in any bathing so I don't want to draw more attention to myself but I'm just not sure what else to do?

--------------------

Re: Honest opinion! new
      #172157 - 04/21/05 09:20 AM
michele

You're funny Sheri!! Thanks for the honest opinion! I vaguely remember what its like to be 21, I'm 34. And, no I doubt I would have been caught dead even considering a suit like this at that age! But, as we get older and sadly fatter and are married, vanity seems much less importnant! Like I said, I would never wear it to the beach or anything, just to work out in.

--------------------

MAGIC! new
      #172164 - 04/21/05 09:50 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Magic platinum hair removal is for black mens faces... it works wonders on every part of my body and is safe.. a bit messy (use a garbage bag to collect the removed stuff in! but it works! and it takes longer then anything else to grow back. I foudn it at Wal Mart and thats it, but others I know have found it in other local stores...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

From a hair removal expert!! new
      #172167 - 04/21/05 09:55 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hullo!
Sounds like we're in the same boat - I get really bad razor burn and ingrown hairs. I get the bumps all over my legs though, and they get huge and red and hard and look infected!! My doctor told me I wasn't allowed to shave anymore, so I started waxing.
Honestly, I know it hurts 'cause you've only done it a few times but it really does get easier. Plus, it takes a few times for all your hairs to be at the same length so after a few times, they will be and then they'll all come out at once and you should be able to go way longer without any regrowth.
If you thought waxing was painful, you might not like this idea 'cause I find it hurts a bit more but have you ever used an epilator? I have one now because it is so much cheaper than always waxing, but it does take longer and it breaks some hairs so waxing is better.

What about electrolysis? I'm not sure if you can have it whilst pregnant, though... Maybe not. But after a few sessions of that, you should get way less regrowth and eventually the hairs should not come back at all. It is expensive, though..

I would go with waxing, if I were you. This is what I would suggest: Get a product called Tendskin (I think) which comes in a blue bottle, ask a local salon for it.. or something like it. I have another one now, but I called remember what it is called, but it rolls on like deodorant. Anywho, put that on your skin before you go get waxed. Have them use baby powder on your skin before they wax you. After you get home, take off any clothing that could rub against you to prevent it from getting irritated. Don't take a hot shower. Put cold compresses against your skin where you have been waxed to take the redness away. Do this a few times before you go to bed. Get teatree oil or sensitive skin lotion and put it on your skin before you go to bed. In the morning, reapply the TendSkin or whatever brand of stuff you get. Don't rub or soap your skin in the shower. Reapply lotion or teatree as often as you like. You should put the TendSkin stuff on twice a day if you have the razon burn. Once it goes away, you can use it once a day. Use before you next wax or shave.

Good luck! I couldn't open the link 'cause I am at work and try to keep as few windows open as possible 'cause they are hard to close when somebody walks by, hee hee.

Good luck!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#172177 - 04/21/05 10:36 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I too have a terrible problem with razor burn in the bikini area. Nair makes a hair removal lotion specifically for that area. I find it works well. I use it about once a week.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

I don't think it is that bad new
      #172192 - 04/21/05 11:22 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I mean your going to work out at the YMCA not going to the beach or entering a bathing suit contest! SHOOT we have enough problems with pain so I say if it fits WEAR it!!! Who gives a crap what other think! I think it's GREAT for the YMCA! I say buy it!!!

Hugs

--------------------
Heather7476

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17227

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review