All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
new job
      #17109 - 08/12/03 04:32 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Okay, so I promised someone (was it you, Ruchie?) that I'd write about my first day(s) of work. Well, for those who don't know, I'm the lead teacher in the infant classroom at an inclusive childcare center that just opened its doors yesterday. We had five kids yesterday and six today, but yesterday was more chaotic--we had three children who are old enough to know that my co-teacher and I are NOT Mom and Dad . So those three were pretty unhappy. Today was calmer because one of yesterday's unhappier children only attends M-W-F, and today's two new children were both joys to have. There are only two teachers, but thank heaven, yesterday we had a whole parade of other staff and community members in and out of the room--office staff, a speech therapist, a grandmother, etc. Today I did have to call the front desk and request extra help at one point, because we had too many screaming babies and not enough hands--but it all worked out. We haven't forgotten to feed or change or medicate or rock to sleep a single child, and the room looks terrific, which makes me feel good, even if the babies don't care .

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new job new
      #17149 - 08/13/03 06:47 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

WOW! I give you a LOT of credit! It sounds like you have a tough job!

Thakns for updating us! I was wondering how it went!

I taught 5 year olds this past year...and that was a handful! I can't imagine what this is like for you...but you have a fabulous attitude!!! How old are the kids...it sounds like they're different ages, is that right?

Enjoy the kids!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#17155 - 08/13/03 08:27 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi Tess!

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. But you seem like a calm and patient person so I am sure you will enjoy it!

I hope you have a wonderful time! Congratulations!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#17212 - 08/13/03 04:56 PM
TessLouise

Officially the kids range in age from six weeks to 15 months...at the moment they range in age from 10 weeks to nine months. The nine-month-old will move up as soon as he turns one, and we'll be getting one baby as soon as s/he turns six weeks (s/he hasn't even been born yet!).

Today was pretty tough again, it's that same M-W-F kid, he's really gotten attached to me as a familiar person so I've got all sorts of "substances" smeared across my black t-shirt...not to mention that today, my third day of work, I slept through my alarm and didn't wake till my ride was pounding on my door *when I was supposed to BE at work*. So I was about 20 minutes late. That didn't make for the best start. THEN when I get home, there's a nasty message on the answering machine from the insurance rep--he needs the number of the accident report--HELLO, I already gave that to the insurance co., no need to be a jerk about it! And THEN my boyf. calls and says not to wait up for him (he's been gone for 11 days now). Sigh. And we're out of food, I mean OUT, and it's pouring rain, and I can't drive anyway, so I gave in and ordered pizza. So shoot me. You know, some days it's just too hard to take care of myself....

#17215 - 08/13/03 05:16 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Sounds like a fun job (I love kids too!), but no wonder you're tired. That's really hard work! Pretty soon the babies will be calling you "Mommie."

#17223 - 08/13/03 07:15 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm not trying to sound judgemental, but why do people put 6 week and 10 week old babies in Daycare? I choose to work around my husband's scheduale so one of us was always home with our kids. I really am having a hard time imagining little infants in Daycare.
Enough of that - hope your new job goes well for you. You seem like a very nice person, so I'm glad the kids have you to take care of them.
Tess go get yourself some safe food to eat tomorrow!!

#17254 - 08/14/03 08:47 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Barbara -

Unfortunately some people cannot afford to take the time off. It has to be very difficult for them to decide to do so.

My husband and I are discussing children, but not everyone has the option to be a stay at home mom, as much as they would probably love to!!!

We are trying to make it so I can be! I would love to do that! In Saskatchewan, you get one year paid maternity leave so that is wonderful - the we just have to figure out what to do after that!

Do you have that kinda thing where you all live?

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#17257 - 08/14/03 09:21 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Amelia!

You poor thing! That's awful!

You did take care of yourself--you didn't go out in the rain, you got some good rest (ok, so you ordered a pizza...at least you ate something!!!)

I remember my first day at work this year. the kids were LITERALLY throwing toys all over the room. It was NUTS! I thought I would never survive! Do you want to be a mother one day (I don't want to make any assumptions here!) If you do, the job you're doing now will be such a big help to you when you're a mom of your own children! In any case, you should be VERY proud of yourself! I'm sure proud of you! This is NOT an easy job...and you're DOING IT!

*big hugs*

Keep posting and updating us!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#17260 - 08/14/03 09:44 AM
TessLouise

Ruchie,
Thanks for asking--you know we love to talk about ourselves, and you always encourage us, that's why we love you . Yes, I want to have kids of my own someday (three, to be exact). But I'm only 21 and I'm not married, so I guess I have to wait awhile (aw, shucks, ya know?). I'm sure this will be terrific practice--I could change a diaper, warm a bottle, or burp a baby in my sleep. But, like Barbara, I hope to stay home with my own if I can. I'd rather make the choice my parents did--to be poor and have Mom at home for 10 years--than have a little more money and be away from my babies. I hope I'll have that choice--I know for some families, it's a matter of whether or not the rent gets paid, ya know? Anyway, back to work for me....

#17264 - 08/14/03 10:07 AM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

I agree with you about staying at home. My mom stayed with us (I have 2 older sisters) until I went into first grade. We didn't have a lot of money or fancy things, but we always had fun and knew we were loved and cherished.

I have noticed with some friends and family that it is a new trend to once again be a stay at home mom. I think for a while it was women's lib to go out and work and not HAVE to stay home, but today, more and more people are able to do survive on one income and stay at home.

I am married, but we are waiting for kids till we are finacially stable, so that I can stay home once we do have kids. I am working towards my nursing degree and once I have my RN, will be able to work per diem, but stay home most of the time. It is important for kids to have the socialization of day care or play groups, but I want to be home with them most of the time.

I am guessing with the job you are doing now, you will be well practiced at juggling several kids and several tasks at once! Good luck!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 796 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4099

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review