All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Okay, this is depressing.
      #170079 - 04/15/05 07:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It's nearly the end of the work-day here and I've heard nada about either the job or the paid course I applied for...meaning I got neither. I'm starting to feel like my CV has "useless" scrawled all over it...WHY won't anyone employ me?

The requirements for the Veterinary Nurse job were 5 GCSEs (what we do at 16) grade C or above, including English, Maths and Science. I have 11...and A's in all of those subjects.

And the employer for the paid horticulture course is on a government disability scheme thingy so b/c I ticked the disability box, I would've been guaranteed an interview if I'd met the basic requirements. SO I guess I'm just crap then.

Has anyone heard of discrimination for being OVER-qualified? Surely this would be illegal???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Linz new
      #170088 - 04/15/05 07:56 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Linz,
I'm sorry things aren't going your way right now - I have no idea if jobs will discriminate against you 'cause you're over qualified but I too think that is totally ridiculous if they do!! I know that some jobs, if they see your previous salary, may take a pass if they know that you would be taking a huge pay cut or something and would just assume you won't be interested. I'm sure that something like that could be addressed in a Cover Letter, though.

You are not useless!! You know that you have the skills you need, sometimes it just takes a while before something sticks. It took me since I have been home to find this job, and I applied for all kinds of 'a monkey could do this' sort of jobs! Don't give up hope, Linz, you'll find something!

Keep trying and we'll always be here for you. Try not to get too stressed out 'cause then your tummy will just get mad and you don't need that to deal with too right now!!
**big big hugs**
eMail me anytime if you want to talk.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

True story new
      #170089 - 04/15/05 08:02 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

The man who lives across the street from my folks wanted a job 9back in the day). He went to one place and they told him he was overqualified so they didn't hire him. He went home and took soem qualifications off his resume nd went on an interview the next day for a mechanic position. Within two months he was assistant manager! He just needed to get his foot in the door

I don't know the laws in the UK...but here I think it IS legal

I wish I had some great ideas forr you...all I can come up with is keep trying (not what you want to hear I'm sure).

You WILL find something and you are in NO WAY useless! PLEASE don't think that even for a second. Everyone here loves you Linz...

Stay in touch....
With love, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Okay, this is depressing. new
      #170164 - 04/15/05 11:10 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Sorry Linz!
Looking for a job can be so disheartening sometimes! But don't give up!

After I graduated it took me over 6 months to find a job. Near the end I was applying EVERYWHERE just so we could pay the rent. I'm sure some of the bookstore jobs I was looking at didn't take me cause I was overqualified.

I agree with Stephie, just make it super clear that you're not looking for a temperary position until you find a better job.

Good luck!
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Hang in there Honey!!! new
      #170184 - 04/15/05 11:47 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Things will look up soon!!! My thoughts are with ya and I will keep my fingers crossed!!!
HUGS!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Yep, my dad was.... new
      #170301 - 04/16/05 01:32 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

He was an accountant and his company closed down about 15 years ago forcing him into early retirement. He applied for many jobs and while he wasn't old he would always miss out to people just out of Uni as they didn't need to be paid as much. Other companies simply told him "you're over qualified for the position and we feel that we could not benefit you by giving you a job here". Meanwhile Dad didn't care if he could do it standing on one hand he just wanted a job! Hang in there. I'm sure someone will think your resume' is as great as it is soon. Big hugs.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Okay, this is depressing. new
      #170548 - 04/17/05 06:46 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Sorry to hear you haven't been offered the job or the course. I was actually told at a couple of interviews that I wasn't getting the job because I was overqualified - one was in a building society and the other was in personnel - the problem being that I have a degree in law and they thought I would get bored and leave. Or so they said!

I don't think this is illegal, so long as it is not a cover for discrimination on the basis of gender, race, etc. Employers are not under an obligation to interview all potential applicants and can narrow down the field by reference to relevant criteria, such as educational qualifications. My impression from talking to friends who actually have to interview job applicants is that they look for someone who 'fits', a round peg in a round hole, which makes it difficult for anyone changing their career level or direction.

Do you have experience in either of these fields, like voluntary work or proof of long term interest? Otherwise they might think you are just being flighty and wouldn't stick around!

Don't give up - maybe rewrite your CV to emphasise the things these particular employers would be interested in. You could try contacting them to ask why you were not considered - it's a long shot but you have nothing to lose. Also do you have any contacts in these fields, or at local colleges with related courses? Anyone who can advise you on improving your application? You probably have loads of experience applying for graduate vacancies and may need to change your focus a little.

Hope you succeed next time!

Josephine

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1122 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 522

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review