All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Thanks Bev! new
      #170534 - 04/17/05 04:56 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You're not so bad youself! How's that house in the woods looking now it's spring?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh yeah! new
      #170535 - 04/17/05 04:57 AM
Linz

Mark Pellegrino (doctor-patient-expert) writes great books that are really helpful with understanding and getting through the "grief" process of having the diagnosis. I love that guy!

LS.... new
      #170536 - 04/17/05 05:00 AM
Linz

...do you think I should try taking Elavil again - in the morning? I'm doing pretty well on Celexa and like it...and the Elavil at night gave me insomnia but I was wondering if taking Elavil in the morning could help more. Whaddya think?

PS. Hoping to get my psycologist apt soon!

PPS. Have you tried a TENS machine? My doc's referred me for a trial, but I keep on having to reschedule.

Re: LS.... new
      #170930 - 04/18/05 01:32 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Linz!

I couldn't hazard a guess about the Elavil. I'd go with your gut feel and your doctor's advice.

I haven't tried a TENS machine but I've read posts on the Fibrohugs board from others who have. Vaguely remember postive comments but no miracle cure, of course.

Hope you're feeling better. Good luck with the therapist. I couldn't do without mine. I would not be nearly as healthy physically or mentally, because when you're not feeling good mentally, it's impossible to get motivated to take care of yourself physically!

Smooches!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thank you everyone!!! new
      #171675 - 04/19/05 11:55 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

First off, thank you all for your quick & helpful responses…I'm sorry I didn't respond as efficiently, but I am very appreciative of everyone's support!

As for meds -- I am taking Elavil for sleep right now, and it's knocking me out pretty good. However, I still wake up constantly throughout the night (sometimes gasping for breath, with this weird sucking in snort thing…it scares the dickens out of me!)…which is probably due to sleep apnea, as that runs in my family. Has anyone here had to deal with that? I am afraid of going off the Elavil, since I wasn't able to fall asleep AT ALL before it, and am assuming the meds will only make it harder to sleep on my own…But I don't like how completely groggy it makes me feel throughout most of the day…by the time I start to feel 'alive', and normal, its bedtime and I have to calm myself down again!

I'm starting to see physical therapy and have slowly reintroduced exercise into my schedule – though swimming feels like I'm lifting a couple of cinder blocks over my head with each stroke. And the shooting pains down my arms and legs usually cut my sessions short. *Sigh*, what happened to the days when my lung capacity was the determining factor???

Also, I am supposed to see counseling/psych, but there are no appointments available at the school's center for another 2-3 weeks….It's that crazy time of year when students are stressing out and trying to drop out of classes, which they need a counselor's approval to do…I'm already starting to feel LOADS better now that I've started getting some rest (not the most peaceful sleep, but at least I can THINK POSITIVELY now!)

Ruchie – thanks for the fibro frog fighter I have posted my email addy now, so feel free to email whenever. I'll definitely look into the magnesium malate as a sleeping aid…and ((((hugs)))) back!

Tissy – you are right, I am in the middle of the worst flare-up I have ever had! Which is probably why the doctors have just finally diagnosed the fibro. And with a mild case, do you ever find that people treat you as though you can't possibly have anything wrong with you, since you do have good days where you "appear" normal?? I'm getting that from everyone who has seen me in my better days…I get the idea that they think I'm making this up for attention, or a way out of my work. If only!

LS, you should write a self-help book for fibro! You definitely have a way with words! It's so nice to talk to others with fibro, because they talk as though they were living in my body….and truly understand what I'm going through. Thanks for all of the info on the meds – I'll ask my doctor about Ultram.

Linz – you are right about the anti-inflammatory, i'm not sure the naproxen is working at this point…and I did not like the weird chest pains I was getting as a side effect. For now, I'm using Tylenol and the elavil… And what is Celexa? And thanks for the tip on Mark Pellegrino, I was going to ask if anyone recommended any books to start out with.

Thanks again to everyone! And {{gentle hugs}} to all!
-Heather

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Heather new
      #171862 - 04/20/05 11:40 AM
Linz

Celexa is an SSRI a-d.

I really like Mark Pellegrino's books. Devin Starlanyl's may be more informative, but I found them really hard work - not what you want when in a fibro flare!

Ask your doc about Ambien. Although it's a stronger sleep aid than Elavil (it's a sedative hypnotic, not an a-d), it's known for having less morning-after effects than other drugs.

Also...get some Magnesium Malate (pref. with Manganese). Fibromites are typically deficient in all these and they're needed for energy and muscles. Both Ruchie and I have had a positive response to a supplement.

Yes.... new
      #172154 - 04/21/05 09:14 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I do get alot of sh*t from my family who keeps telling me everything is in my head, b/c I look fine to them. But my DH supports and believes me and a trained doctor confirmed my diagnosis, so I try not to let it get to me. But I have my own doubts in my head somedays when I am feeling real good. But then I will hit a flare up and then I remember I am not crazy. I hope for the best for you, and if you need support or have questions post away, we will do our best to help.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Re: Yes.... new
      #172206 - 04/21/05 11:55 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

My fam thought it was in my head that I was sick for YEARS! I recall being in junior high and I got strep throat. The doc said "Stay home until you feel better." My mom heard "Stay home until your fever is gone". So...when the fever wa gone, even tho I protested and still felt quite ill, she sent me back to school. I ended up in the hospital!!!

I am beginning to see this was neglect. And hopefully this is NOT what you guys are talking about when your folks don't believe you are sick.

In any case...I BEG anyone out there that is sick NOT TO LISTEN to people that tell you it's in your head. It's NOT!

Sending you lots of love Heather...we're here for you *big hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Bipolar fibro new
      #172211 - 04/21/05 12:13 PM
steather

Yeah, Tissy, I can totally relate to the family/friends not understanding...I think that is why i went so long without getting diagnosed....I would have a few really bad flare-ups, but the rest of the time I "appeared" normal. So it was hard to convince myself that I did indeed have this condition. But you're right, when you are in the middle of a flare-up, there's no mistaking that something is SO NOT normal!

Now along the lines of cycling between flare-ups...I was just today diagnosed with a mild case of bipolar disorder (add that to my steadily increasing list of medical conditions :P). And I realized that my fibro is itself bipolar, in that the pain cycles in and out (sometimes for months, sometimes just pops up to say 'hello' whenever it goshdarn feels like it)...and I think that my polarity of moods seems to correlate pretty well with it. I.e....when i'm really hyper and active (manic), then i seem to be in less pain (or is it because when I dont have any pain, I tend to be hyper???)

I've found several websites suggesting a link between bipolar and fibro, but nothing really conclusive (other than the fact that the two seem to show up together alot in practice!).

Interesting, huh? My body has become a weird science experiment now. I'm starting on a mood stabilizer now (lamictal)...have to take that before i can take an SSRI for the fibro, to avoid any crazy mood cycles.

--------------------
Heather

Re: Yes.... new
      #172216 - 04/21/05 12:23 PM
steather

Oh Ruchie, I'm so sorry that you had to go through so much when you were young! I don't know if my parents are so much neglectful, as they are ignorant...still, to this day, when I'm having a really bad day, i'll get some crazy response like "Oh, do you have a cold?" Geez, isn't it apparent that these aren't just your classic cold symptoms????

And I agree with you, for so long I went on thinking that everything (and believe me, my list is getting longer and longer as we speak) was in my head, that I didn't have anyhting wrong with me, that people were right, and I shouldn't appear like a baby by going to the doctor. GO TO THE DOCTOR. Take medications. Do try to feel better when you are sick. Because it's not in your head, these symptoms are real!!! Those are a few things I wished I'd taken to heart over the years.

I'm starting to feel much much better now that things are getting resolved, and I'm starting to make sense of my historical tour down medical lane. This forum is great, and the people on here are so genuine...plus they have loads of helpful advice!! You all rock!

Sending much love back to ya, Ruch...

-Heather

--------------------
Heather

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3431

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review