All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Re: Thank you all for your concern and prayers new
      #169228 - 04/12/05 09:58 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Oh gosh, it does sound like a worrying situation.

I'm not meaning to make you worry more but am thinking that if you are really concerned that there could be a serious depression developing it may come down to seeking some professional help.

I know first hand how hard this is to do, especially if the person you are concerned for doesn't want to seek the help.

As his mother you probably have a gut feeling deep down about whether this would be necessary or not and one thing I have learned is that those gut feelings are usually pretty reliable.

Do let us know how you are getting on and I will continue to pray for you all.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thank you all for your concern and prayers new
      #169252 - 04/12/05 11:18 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Hope that he snaps out of it BL! I was in a depressed state when I graduated High School, I didn't even apply to any schools. Wish I did, seeing how the EARLIEST I will graduate from a TWO YEAR degree program at my community college I will be 22 years old. THat's with going part time of course, and I waited a year before going.
All I can suggest is to not be too forceful on him, but to try to talk and explain to him that he needs to choose SOMETHING. Let him know it is not the end of the world if he changes his mind. I know only a couple of kids my age that acutally went away to one school straight from High School and kept the same major and same school til they graduated! My sister is working on getting transfered to her FOURTH school. Let him know he is normal!
good luck to you! This is such a difficult time in any kids life.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Concerned about our son new
      #169320 - 04/12/05 02:21 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

My gosh - I know how he feels to be honest! I have until May 12 to decide on a "career" that pays me enough and that I enjoy.

I wanted to go back to the company I was with prior to my maternity leave, but have been advised that there isn't anything there (I was only covering a maternity leave when I left there). Since being in reception I don't want to go back to sales *which was my original plan - go to another sales company after a year and everyone has cooled their jets LOL*

So I am sending out apps and resumees without much interest and getting sort of disheartened.

I will keep my fingers crossed for your son! I hope he can decide....maybe he can find something until he decides. It sounds like ya'll are being completely understand and accomodating - which probably helps him alot.

Good luck to him.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#169346 - 04/12/05 03:33 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I hope this makes you feel better - my brother changed his mind practically every week till he had to decide.... and he now has a Ph.D. Give your son some space and time, (what will allow) and pray that he makes a decision. That's all you can do.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#169420 - 04/13/05 12:21 AM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Will certainly pray for your son. I am sure that with all the prayers things will work out well. Try and relax a bit.

You have my prayers and a thought..... new
      #169424 - 04/13/05 03:08 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I guess it is always possible that he is depressed about this. It's a huge turning point in life for him and maybe he's not sure what he wants to do. I bombed out of year 10 in part because everyone I knew had their lives mapped out and I had no idea what I wanted to do with mine. At 26 I have only been passionate about what I'd like to do when the kids grow up for a couple of years. He's probably just feeling very overwhelmed and confused right now. I think Sheri's right. Just sit him down, tell him it's okay to be nervous and worried, and maybe get him to apply to a few different places so hopefully he will be accepted to more than one and then when the end of the year comes and he's finished all his exams he can decide where he'd like to go. It just gives him a few options to mull over for a while instead of having to commit to something now that he's maybe unsure about.
If he does continue to seem depressed and down maybe you should look into a doctor's visit for him and just make sure that he is okay. I'll be praying he starts to feel better about it all soon. It's a tough time for all of you.

--------------------
Amy

#367242 - 04/13/12 05:17 AM
jesicca

Reged: 04/13/12

Hi, I'd like to share my experience regarding with my son. He was the same as yours. He wanted to go to a prestigious university and his only goal throughout high school was that one. He went to a private high school that has a very good academics and he worked hard to get good grades and we thought that he will get in. But sadly, he wasn't accepted. It took us a long time to convince him that we will support him still even in a different college. I guess, we just let him get over the shock and we gave that to him by giving him space. It worked and is now enjoying college in a different university.

Edited by jesicca (05/21/12 07:10 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 535 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12867

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review