All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rash on my arms and legs
      #16781 - 08/09/03 07:01 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Does anyone ever break out with a rash after gardening or being around tall grass.
The past two days I have been picking veggies out of my garden and both times I break out with a rash on my arms and legs. I have to wash myself with soap and water a couple of times to get rid of the itch. Same thing happened to me last summer after strawberry picking. I do not spray chemicals on my plants either.
Guess now I have to wear pants and long sleeve shirt when gardening.
Has anyone ever experience this?
Barb

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rash on my arms and legs new
      #16784 - 08/09/03 08:16 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have found the same thing when I pick radishes or cucumbers. Actually, any plants which have the furry
prickly leaves on them. I mostly break out on my hands where I touch the plant the most. So now I have opted for gloves!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#17519 - 08/16/03 08:59 AM
EmilyL

Reged: 07/29/03
Loc: Utah

What fun for you. Well, hopefully the rash was temporary thing, and is not bothering you further. I feel for you; I have sensitive skin, so I get frequent rashes for no reason. It could possibly allergies, rather than a chemical on the plants. I agree with Lana_Marie said about the furry pricklies on the plant may be bothering you, even if they haven't in the past. I find as I get older I get more and more sensitive to my environment.

Well, on to possible relief.
Unfortunately this treating the symptom and not the cause Avoid lotioning, unless you washed the area first, the lotion may cause further irritation. I recomend either benedryl cream or a hydrocortizone cream, after washing the area. You may also find Neosporin creams helpful as well, but I'd start with the Benedryl or Hydrocortizone either should help with the itch and reduce any swelling and redness.

Hope this helps.
M

#17552 - 08/17/03 05:32 AM
Nikki

Reged: 03/22/03
Loc: London, UK

Maybe yuo are allergic to something?

#17576 - 08/17/03 09:20 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Thanks M for the info. My skin is sensitive - I can't wear scented deodarant without breaking out. Smelling perfume makes me stuffy and my eyes get all red. I have a f/u appt. with my GYN. on Wednesday and I plan to mention it to her and see what she says.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1183 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1934

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review