All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Pray for my kitties
      #167435 - 04/06/05 12:03 AM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

It's 3am and I can't sleep. I am a worried kitty mommy because my girls go in for surgery at 7:45 am. Please pray for my precious girls. They have had a lot of troubles in their short little kitty lives. I am also pretty sad that I won't get them back til Friday. It's going to be an upsetting couple of days.

T

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pray for my kitties new
      #167436 - 04/06/05 12:16 AM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Hi,
I have just said a prayer for your kitties. Do let us know how they are later. Do you have pictures of them? Jennifer

I am! new
      #167440 - 04/06/05 12:53 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

It's so hard when our babies have to go to kitty hospital. I'll have my fingers crossed all goes well and that they recover quickly so you can have them back asap for cuddles! Can I ask what they're having done?

--------------------
Amy

#167475 - 04/06/05 05:09 AM
Kemi

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: MO,USA

i will pray for you and your children also!hang in there!

lots of good thoughts headed your way! new
      #167479 - 04/06/05 05:35 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and theirs... I also am curious about is being done...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pics and more info new
      #167485 - 04/06/05 05:50 AM
RnbwConnection78

Chicken

Mia

My girls are getting spayed and declawed. I am not really happy about the declawing but the vet advised it because of the nasty fights my kitties have. We've tried behavioral trick after trick from water bottles to scratching posts to soft paws to just regular clipping with no avail. The only thing that gives me some comfort is that both surgeries are done by laser and so the pain is lessened and healing happens a lot faster. They stay at the hospital for 2 nights so that they can be given the appropriate care and medicine to make them comfortable. I just feel awful that I am putting them through all of this. I just dropped them off and they were purring away... they have no idea what's coming

--------------------

#167493 - 04/06/05 06:39 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh no!!!! Ok, I will think of them. You got it.

#167523 - 04/06/05 08:39 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Aw, I'd be upset too!! We have two cats, one goes out, the other doesn't. Chloe, the one that goes out didn't come home last night and I cried myself to sleep I was so worried!!! She FINALLY showed up cold, hungry and dirty just before I left for work this morning. I was SO happy to see her!! My hubby thinks she wondered off and got stuck in someones garage overnight!!!

Ask the vet if you can come visit!! The couple of times I had to leave my "babies" at the vet for surgery, they always encouraged us to come and visit!! Hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Praying for them. I'm sure they'll be fine! --nt-- new
      #167525 - 04/06/05 08:42 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Aww! Keeping your kitties in my thoughts! new
      #167526 - 04/06/05 08:53 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Can't even imagine not having to go without my cat for a day, much less 2! At least it's not an illness and they will be perfectly fine in no time. Luckily cats are very forgiving.

Keep us updated!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Pics and more info new
      #167536 - 04/06/05 09:29 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It always sucks when you have to send your unknowing pet to the vet for something you know they aren't gonna like!!

I wouldn't worry about it though....spaying and declawing are very standard procedures....they will be just fine!!

Update, I am angry and confused (long) new
      #167623 - 04/06/05 12:19 PM
RnbwConnection78

My kitties came through the surgery alright. That is good. Both are awake, but kinda out of it. I have called the vet twice to check on their progress.

I did get really disturbing and pretty upsetting news. Both of my kitty's EKG's were abnormal. The vet said it suggested something called "Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy" in both girls. She insisted it was no big deal and that they would be fine and maybe a little slower in their old age. They would just need a special anesthetic that was a little more expensive. If we wanted to we could have the girls tested at our leasure.

When I got off campus, I decided to look up this supposedly, benign condition. Every internet source I have looked at has said this is extremely serious. It's chronic, progressive, debilitating, and eventually fatal. It can cause sudden death. The only treatment, heart meds, and they don't even work a lot of the time. In a severe case, most cats get 3 months from diagnosis, a mild one, five years. So much for just slowing them down a little.

I think they are trying to rip us off. It would be crazy for 2 kittens from 2 different litters to both have this relatively rare condition. Not only that, they seem not the least bit concerned about it! All I could do was cry as I read what it could do to my babies. Heart failure, blood clots, eventual death... they are only 5 months old! It's incurable....

Dan called our usual vet. We used this vet because they do surgeries through a group called paws. They have a reduced rate spay program so Dan and I gladly participated. Our vet wants their charts faxed over after we pick them up on Friday. He will examine the EKG's and give us an opinion. He also thinks the whole thing is really really odd.

I am really really upset right now. I am praying my girls are fine and they're just trying to get my money. My babies are priceless to me. At this point, Dan and I have decided that if the girls do have this condition, as per our vet's advice, we will probably not continue the testing and/or treatment. A lot of it is futile and we want to enjoy our girls without really knowing when and if they're going to die. I don't know if I could look them in the face every day knowing that they could die at any moment.

T

--------------------

{{{{{{hugs}}}}}} new
      #167644 - 04/06/05 12:48 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

TRY not to panic until your regular vet checks them out...unfortunately some aren't great, so wait till someone you trust has looked at the results.

Re: Update, I am angry and confused (long) new
      #167699 - 04/06/05 03:41 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Sorry about your upsetting news about the kitties. They are just like part of the family and I know you are worried about them.

I know how you feel because I have a dog that's almost 13 and has been having problems breathing out of his nose. The doc took X-rays and couldn't find any growths in his nose and is very puzzled. We are just going to try and love him as much as we can and keep him as comfortable as we can and enjoy every moment with him.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Sending hugs! new
      #167744 - 04/06/05 06:45 PM
doubletrouble

I'm so sorry you found this out. I'll have fingers crossed this vet (or whoever did the desexing) is just trying to get your money. It does seem strange that 2 cats totally unrelated at birth could have the same condition. I'm sure they're fine! Good luck and let us know what your vet says.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Sending hugs! new
      #167758 - 04/06/05 07:10 PM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

I am sending prayers your way as well. We "kitty" mommies need to stick together! I had both of my boys neutered and declawed at the same time. They were both fine after two or three days. Your girls will will be sore for a few days and sleep alot. They seem to bounce back pretty quickly, though.

Did your vet tell you to use paper litter when they come home? It is not as irritating as the regular clay based litters.

I would not be too sure about your vets prognosis. I think that your regular vet needs to see them (when healed up of course) and evaluate what (if anything) may be going on with their hearts. Maybe his EKG machine needs to be re-calibrated or something?

They look really adorable. I know that you are looking forward to having them both home, safe and sound.

Take care,
Karen

#167775 - 04/06/05 08:25 PM
BL

I'm glad you are getting a second opinion. That does sound fishy!!! It's a shame you can't trust people anymore. You would think you could trust a vet.

If the results don't indicate what this first doctor said, I wouldn't pay him a cent---and if you already have, demand your money back.

Let us know what happens. I'll say a prayer for you---and your kitties. I know how big a part of our lives our pets are. My son kids me and says I love the beagles more than I love him! (not true, but almost!)

#167827 - 04/07/05 02:24 AM
Jennifer1946

I am so very sorry to read about your kittens. As a cat lover I know exactly what you must be going through. Please check them out completely with your vet in the meantime I am praying for you and your kittens. Keep us updated. Love Jenny

Re: Pics and more info new
      #167828 - 04/07/05 02:27 AM
Jennifer1946

Hi,
Your kittens look so cute and peaceful. Lots of hugs and kisses to them. Jenny

Aww! They are so cute! new
      #167840 - 04/07/05 04:41 AM
Linz

Fingers crossed that everything will be okay! And if it helps, we've been told that our old dog has very little life expectancy so many times we've given up waiting for him to die! He's 15 1/2, has had kidney failure, major arthritis, two strokes and now cancer, but he's as happy as larry! The lack of stress in pets' lives really seems to help them.

I trust vets about as far as I can throw them new
      #167848 - 04/07/05 05:17 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I agree, that sounds really fishy, and I'm glad you're getting a second opinion from your regular vet, who it sounds like is a lot more trustworthy. I'll keep thinking of you all and hoping it turns out that the other vet was just ripping you off - although dirty and unpleasant, it's better than the alternative.

My lousy vet story (maybe you shouldn't read this! LOL)

My cats' spaying was a miserable thing. The 2 cats cost me a total of about $1000. (I lived in a rich area at the time... there were no clinics and no alternatives.) After the surgery, I was supposed to give them (expensive!) antibiotics and painkillers. My poor cats were so drugged that they couldn't even stand up - all they could do was cry pitifully. On a hunch, I stopped the medications, and within a day, they were both alert and moving around. Grr.

Then I noticed that Phoebe couldn't keep her eyes open and focused. I called the vet, and they said to bring her in right away, explaining that that was a sign of brain damage from the anesthesia. Long story short, they took more of my money and said she was fine, and her eyes DID clear up, but to this day, she's never been exactly "normal" since. And I know they should have shots and whatnot, but I haven't taken them to a vet since, either. I just don't trust them.

#167853 - 04/07/05 06:07 AM
Kimm

Awwww so sorry to hear that!! What terrible news. You know.....they could live just fine for years and years....you really never can tell!!

*HUGS* I'll pray for them.

Re: I trust vets about as far as I can throw them new
      #167855 - 04/07/05 06:09 AM
Kimm

That's really too bad about your experience because I think vet visits for pets are as important as doctor's visits for us humans.

My vet is a wonderful lady who has done so much for my kitty!! You might remember when my cat needed surgery last October....well my vet kept her there for a week for free....gave me medicine for free!! The only thing I had to pay for was the surgery (which she let me do a payment plan for). My cat has never been happier I tell you!!

Re: I trust vets about as far as I can throw them new
      #167908 - 04/07/05 08:47 AM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

I wish that I had your vet. My vet (rabbit) would not work with me on the price for surgery! My other regular vet (for the cats) apparently charges 3X the going rate for services. I need to find another vet for my remaining furbabies. Does anyone know of a good vet in the Dallas/Rockwall Texas area?

#167919 - 04/07/05 09:14 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

My cat is like my baby-
I can definately understand the concern and worry.
Things will be ok- Try to remain positive.
Melissa

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Thank you all SOOOOO much new
      #167995 - 04/07/05 12:24 PM
RnbwConnection78

Thanks so much for all of your support. The last 24 hours have been pretty rough on me. People up here at school just don't get it. They think I am crazy because I am so so upset. They just keep saying that they are JUST cats. They may be cats but they are MY cats and I love them very very much. They're a major part of my universe. When I am sick, Chicken actually sticks her little paw under the bathroom door to touch my foot. They wait right there for me to come out. Anyway, without blabbering, I love them a lot. Thanks everyone for the help, it is REALLY appreciated. I will update tomorrow afternoon when I finally get them home.

--------------------

Veterinary services... new
      #168003 - 04/07/05 12:40 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I've never had any vet problems as the ones described in all my years of cat ownership (20 years and 10 cats)- but I know that here (as elsewhere, I'm sure) there are wildly disparate prices for services. Shop around for a vet you can trust, just as you would for a trustworthy doctor, for your beloved children. Also, humane societies sometimes offer affordable veterinary services for those who need them.
Spay and declaw surgery are extremely routine; my new kitty Sunday just had her spay a month ago and was walking around, eating, exploring her new home, a mere two days later; and now, a month later, her "seam" is completely healed up. Cats heal amazingly quickly!
As to the heart thing, please get a second- third- tenth opinion! Hope they're doing well- tomorrow they get to come home to Mama!

Oooh, that's one of my pet peeves! new
      #168012 - 04/07/05 01:06 PM
atomic rose

When someone says "they're JUST cats" or "it's JUST a dog" or something like that. My cats are NOT "just cats". They are my babies. They've been a source of comfort for me through bad relationships (and the endings thereof), several moves, and so many "sick" days and nights. They're unconditional love rolled into furry four-legged packages. JUST cats... bah!!

Good luck and definitely keep us posted!!

I know... new
      #168013 - 04/07/05 01:08 PM
atomic rose

I'm still hoping to find a good vet, now that we've gotten settled here. Unfortunately, the vet here in town has a HORRIBLE reputation as a hack, and I will never EVER take my cats there. But we're bound to find someone in the surrounding few towns... I hope, anyway.

Thankfully, my cats are exclusively-indoor, quite young, and in good health. *knocks on wood*

Yes, trust is the key new
      #168094 - 04/07/05 03:38 PM
BL

It's sad but you just have to find one you trust. I'm thankful the last couple of vets I've had have been wonderful, but I went to one once that I swear charged me $300-400 every time I took my dog in. I finally got suspicious when my neighbor took her dog in because it had fallen off the couch. She (this vet) checked it and said its leg was broken and would have to be reset. She wanted to charge them $800. My neighbor took the dog to another vet----and the dog's leg was not broken afterall. It was just a sprain!!!

Shop around until you find one you feel is honest.

Re: Oooh, that's one of my pet peeves! Mine too! new
      #168155 - 04/07/05 07:37 PM
doubletrouble

It drives me crazy! They have definate personalities, they have feelings and to me they will ALWAYS be my first born! It drives me nuts when people say that!

--------------------
Amy

Me too! new
      #168209 - 04/08/05 01:01 AM
Linz

I've lost temp jobs cos of having to rush one or the other of them to the vets...if they were ACTUALLY my babies, no-one would bat an eyelid!

I get sooo stressed whenever they're in the vets. Most people just do not understand. But Archie is really my baby and Jakes (our old dog) is like a sibling!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 340 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5675

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review