All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Pics and more info new
      #167536 - 04/06/05 09:29 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It always sucks when you have to send your unknowing pet to the vet for something you know they aren't gonna like!!

I wouldn't worry about it though....spaying and declawing are very standard procedures....they will be just fine!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Update, I am angry and confused (long) new
      #167623 - 04/06/05 12:19 PM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

My kitties came through the surgery alright. That is good. Both are awake, but kinda out of it. I have called the vet twice to check on their progress.

I did get really disturbing and pretty upsetting news. Both of my kitty's EKG's were abnormal. The vet said it suggested something called "Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy" in both girls. She insisted it was no big deal and that they would be fine and maybe a little slower in their old age. They would just need a special anesthetic that was a little more expensive. If we wanted to we could have the girls tested at our leasure.

When I got off campus, I decided to look up this supposedly, benign condition. Every internet source I have looked at has said this is extremely serious. It's chronic, progressive, debilitating, and eventually fatal. It can cause sudden death. The only treatment, heart meds, and they don't even work a lot of the time. In a severe case, most cats get 3 months from diagnosis, a mild one, five years. So much for just slowing them down a little.

I think they are trying to rip us off. It would be crazy for 2 kittens from 2 different litters to both have this relatively rare condition. Not only that, they seem not the least bit concerned about it! All I could do was cry as I read what it could do to my babies. Heart failure, blood clots, eventual death... they are only 5 months old! It's incurable....

Dan called our usual vet. We used this vet because they do surgeries through a group called paws. They have a reduced rate spay program so Dan and I gladly participated. Our vet wants their charts faxed over after we pick them up on Friday. He will examine the EKG's and give us an opinion. He also thinks the whole thing is really really odd.

I am really really upset right now. I am praying my girls are fine and they're just trying to get my money. My babies are priceless to me. At this point, Dan and I have decided that if the girls do have this condition, as per our vet's advice, we will probably not continue the testing and/or treatment. A lot of it is futile and we want to enjoy our girls without really knowing when and if they're going to die. I don't know if I could look them in the face every day knowing that they could die at any moment.

T

--------------------

{{{{{{hugs}}}}}} new
      #167644 - 04/06/05 12:48 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

TRY not to panic until your regular vet checks them out...unfortunately some aren't great, so wait till someone you trust has looked at the results.

Re: Update, I am angry and confused (long) new
      #167699 - 04/06/05 03:41 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Sorry about your upsetting news about the kitties. They are just like part of the family and I know you are worried about them.

I know how you feel because I have a dog that's almost 13 and has been having problems breathing out of his nose. The doc took X-rays and couldn't find any growths in his nose and is very puzzled. We are just going to try and love him as much as we can and keep him as comfortable as we can and enjoy every moment with him.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Sending hugs! new
      #167744 - 04/06/05 06:45 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'm so sorry you found this out. I'll have fingers crossed this vet (or whoever did the desexing) is just trying to get your money. It does seem strange that 2 cats totally unrelated at birth could have the same condition. I'm sure they're fine! Good luck and let us know what your vet says.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Sending hugs! new
      #167758 - 04/06/05 07:10 PM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

I am sending prayers your way as well. We "kitty" mommies need to stick together! I had both of my boys neutered and declawed at the same time. They were both fine after two or three days. Your girls will will be sore for a few days and sleep alot. They seem to bounce back pretty quickly, though.

Did your vet tell you to use paper litter when they come home? It is not as irritating as the regular clay based litters.

I would not be too sure about your vets prognosis. I think that your regular vet needs to see them (when healed up of course) and evaluate what (if anything) may be going on with their hearts. Maybe his EKG machine needs to be re-calibrated or something?

They look really adorable. I know that you are looking forward to having them both home, safe and sound.

Take care,
Karen

#167775 - 04/06/05 08:25 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm glad you are getting a second opinion. That does sound fishy!!! It's a shame you can't trust people anymore. You would think you could trust a vet.

If the results don't indicate what this first doctor said, I wouldn't pay him a cent---and if you already have, demand your money back.

Let us know what happens. I'll say a prayer for you---and your kitties. I know how big a part of our lives our pets are. My son kids me and says I love the beagles more than I love him! (not true, but almost!)

#167827 - 04/07/05 02:24 AM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

I am so very sorry to read about your kittens. As a cat lover I know exactly what you must be going through. Please check them out completely with your vet in the meantime I am praying for you and your kittens. Keep us updated. Love Jenny

Re: Pics and more info new
      #167828 - 04/07/05 02:27 AM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Hi,
Your kittens look so cute and peaceful. Lots of hugs and kisses to them. Jenny

Aww! They are so cute! new
      #167840 - 04/07/05 04:41 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Fingers crossed that everything will be okay! And if it helps, we've been told that our old dog has very little life expectancy so many times we've given up waiting for him to die! He's 15 1/2, has had kidney failure, major arthritis, two strokes and now cancer, but he's as happy as larry! The lack of stress in pets' lives really seems to help them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 708 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5719

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review