All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Something strange happened!
      #166109 - 04/01/05 09:54 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I wish this were an April Fool's Joke!!! I don't have that kind of luck this week!!

Apparently, having used up all of my good luck over my kick**s European holiday, I've finally been discharged out of the hospital today a little after noon. I got admitted Wednesday after I started having what I thought was an IBS attack of a lot of D Wed at 5am, but then progressed to throwing up things I didn't even know were in me. So naturally I call my mom from my deathbed around 10am, and naturally she flips out and calls the fire department and rescue and comes with them to get me.

So for the last 3 days I've been in the hospital with a tube down my nose, through my throat, into my stomach (just as comfortable as it sounds) to slurp out the bile and make me just a tad bit less nauseated. Food poisoning is what they think. Darned American food! At the end there, I was terrorizing the nurses explaining that I was going to pull out my tubes and IVs, and just needed a spotter if all they were going to do was stand around and watch anyway!

And get this: once they got the mass exodus of liquids fleeing my body under control, they actually thought I had a twisted ileum, so yep! Another couple days in the hospital! But it's all cool now, and I'm happily catching up on reading posts and picking old blood boogers out of my nose as I ignore my miso soup mocking me from my desk. My large-scale plans for the rest of the day include taking a shower and possibly finishing my soup. Ugh! So how was YOUR week!

~nelly~ Back! Now with 50% more grossness!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Something strange happened! new
      #166111 - 04/01/05 09:59 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

OMG Nelly you poor thing!!! I am so glad you are out of the hospital and home now. Are you at least feeling better? Take care of yourself and geesh I was really hoping you were going to say April Fool's at the end of this. I hope that you have a healthy and restful weekend sweetie! Take care!

#166113 - 04/01/05 10:11 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh Nelly!!!!! What a terrible ordeal. I'm so sorry you had to go through that hell.

You rest up and get your body happy with you again.

So what was wrong with you? Do they know?

Big hugs Nelly.

#166116 - 04/01/05 10:14 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh Nelly, how awful!! I'm so sorry!! Well, at LEAST your body was kind enough to wait until you got home from you trip to freak out!! I hope you feel better soon!! Hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#166122 - 04/01/05 10:25 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wow....sorry to hear you've been having such a horrible time!! I think your attitude is great though....keep it up!!

Glad to hear you're doing better.

Girl new
      #166138 - 04/01/05 11:01 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I swear what are we going to do with each other huh? We are falling apart a very younge age don't think? I am 90% sure my VV (vulvadoynia) is back. I will make you a deal I com over to DC and we can knock eath other out!! LOL
Hugs hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
Heather7476

Oh Nelly new
      #166164 - 04/01/05 12:06 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

What an ordeal! But I second Michele - thank goodness it happened AFTER your trip, if it had to happen at all.

Rest and feel better! Glad to have you back, grossness and all!

Hi Michele!! new
      #166165 - 04/01/05 12:06 PM
Nelly

That's so funny, that's what my English friends said when I told them! I'm soooo lucky I didn't get this while I was on vacation, can you imagine??

Groan! I'm just waiting for the bill now!

~nelly~

Re: Oh Nelly new
      #166169 - 04/01/05 12:09 PM
Nelly

Good to be back Casey!! I'm still shaky, but I'm going to take a rest in my bed and summon enought strength to get into the shower eventually.

~nelly~

Knock me out club reunion!! new
      #166170 - 04/01/05 12:11 PM
Nelly

Yes, I could have used a good old fashioned knockout this week!!!!!!

Evil bodies and the misery they give us!! I so want my money back.

~nelly~

#166172 - 04/01/05 12:12 PM
Nelly

Thanks, Kimm. You rock. All is well for now. I've just cleaned out the fridge with anything suspect going right in the trash. BF is going to wonder where all the food went. It's really for the greater good.

~nelly~

Hey S-S!! new
      #166174 - 04/01/05 12:15 PM
Nelly

They say food poisoning acts like this, but so does 24hr bugs. I'm voting food poisoning, cos I did eat some not very right cheese that night (it's been thrown away now!). They'll know for sure when the cultures come back from the lab, but not for a few days. I'm thinking about calling the supermarket to tell them about their Evil Cheese.

~nelly~

Re: Hey S-S!! new
      #166176 - 04/01/05 12:20 PM
Sara-Sage

Oh gosh Nelly. Yes food poisoning can be evil. I've had it a few times but never bad enough to end up in the hospital.

Good thing you're tough as nails!

No more bad cheese for you missy! Glad you're feeling better now, all joking aside.

#166178 - 04/01/05 12:22 PM
Sara-Sage

I'm sure he'll understand!

#166180 - 04/01/05 12:25 PM
Nelly

Hey, thanks. I'm shakey but better and yes, it IS so nice to be home. I called the store where I bought the offensive cheese that made me sick and talked to the asst manager, but he kept thinking that it was an April Fool's Day joke when I told him he'd have to pull the rest of the product and file a store report with the dept of health. SIGH! Maybe I should have waited until the 2nd of April to call. Oh well.

~nelly~

#166181 - 04/01/05 12:25 PM
Nelly

Serves me right for touching dairy!!!!!!!! Heed my warning, all IBS-ers!!!!

~nelly~

#166188 - 04/01/05 12:38 PM
Sara-Sage

Stay away from the cheese for a long time please!

#166221 - 04/01/05 01:42 PM
Nelly

Dude. I'm only at the point now that I can even say the WORD "cheese." And even then. *shudder!*

~nelly~

#166222 - 04/01/05 01:48 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Ahh the joy of the nasal-gastric tube! Been there done that - but thank God it was only once and I plan to never repeat it! I'm glad you're at least out of the hospital and I envy you that you can have such good spirits about it all! I would be throwing the pity-party pouting fit of the decade! Have some nice tea and some good chicken broth or something and get lots of rest. We're all glad your back - from Europe to start with - but mostly glad you're back from hospital - not the place for our Nelly to be! I'll be off the boards for the weekend since I'm travelling out of state, but hope to chat again next week.
Hugs,
Min

#166226 - 04/01/05 01:54 PM
Nelly

Thanks, Min!!

Ah, yes, The Dreaded Tube. There's a moment of clarity when you're hooked up to a pump from a line through your nose into your stomach, a moment where you think, HEY! This is so not happening to me!! Nice to hear I'm not the only one, tho!!

Sigh. Also both my arms have so many needle marks, I look like a mad junkie with bad aim.

Have a good safe trip, and post when you get back!

~nelly~

LOL!!! new
      #166236 - 04/01/05 02:36 PM
heather7476

Loc: South East Michigan

I needed that!! Shoot I want my money back and then some!! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

#166291 - 04/01/05 05:23 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Nelly, my dear, you don't do anything halfway do you?! I can relate -- on my FIRST trip to London, PanAm gave me food poisoning on the way over. I spent 5 of the 7 days we were there in bed in the hotel so sick I wanted to die. We had friends who sent their private physician to the hotel (who knew they still made house calls). He was a white haired gent with a bowler and a brolly, right out of central casting. He came THIS CLOSE to putting me in the hospital, but thanks to my sweetie pie Andy's dedicated nursing I turned the corner just in time.

I don't think I ate chicken again for a week.

Feel better, hon.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Poor you, Nelly new
      #166299 - 04/01/05 07:15 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How horrible. Sorry you had to go through this. Glad you're finally feeling better.

Oooh, no more cheese, okay?!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Yikes! Food Poisoning!! new
      #166315 - 04/01/05 09:09 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Nelly,
Oh poor you!! That was the one time I wish it HAD been an April Fools, because that sounds absolutely HORRIBLE!
I hate going to the hospital so much, and I've never had the horrible tubes or anything like that for a few days, that sounds totally nightmare-ish.
I think the sickest (in the way) I have ever been was from food poisoning, it was an absolutely HORROR! I think it was from eating 'Wimpy' in the UK, my roomate and I both got it - I threw up a total of 17 times! I was shaking and sweating, having D like I've never had it before... Oy! I basically passed out on the floor outside the toilet..
But GET THIS! At the time, I was working a really awful pub job (not the one I had while on this website, before that) where we lived above the pub. I had the worst boss ON EARTH and she wouldn't let me off shift! I was COOKING in the pub kitchen, throwing up in the bin by the door before someone else finally forced me to leave!
Later, I got told I should have gone to the hospital but I wasn't ALLOWED! Isn't that insane? Then I took the next day off, by paying someone else to work my shift and I nearly got fired for missing the shift, even though I covered it! That was the worst experience EVER!!

I dunno why I am always compelled to make every story about me, sorry about that!!
Anyway, just wanted to say I totally sympathise and I hope you are feeling much better by now.
Lotsa liquids and rest and all that!
**big hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Oh no..... new
      #166335 - 04/02/05 01:29 AM
Natalie1985

Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Nelly thats aweful Im so sorry.....you poor poor thing....I hope you're feeling a bit better now. I was gona email you cos I noticed you hadnt been around for a couple of days and with you missing having a computer whilsy over here I thought you'd have been on all the time and you werent....god and you ended up in hospital with a tube up your nose?? thats aweful! Sending lots and lots and lots of hugs your way....let us know how you are....hey I hope it wasnt something you picked up over here??

(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Oh and that luna bar didnt last seconds....lol....it was gone before the train even arrived at the platform on my way home from meeting you!!lol!! Hey have you tried one of the tasty bars yet?? Boyfriend hasnt robbed the easter egg has he?? hehe

--------------------
Natalie

#166353 - 04/02/05 05:50 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Nelly, I just had a chance to respond to this today. I feel so badly that you were in the hospital. It sounds like you're doing a bit better. As always you have that positive attitude which helps when you're not feeling good. Take care of yourself ok? Let us know how you're feeling. I hope you're back to your old self very soon!!

--------------------

Thanks, LS~! new
      #166361 - 04/02/05 06:45 AM
Nelly

Just call me All the Way Nelly. Oh, no wait, don't call me that. You poor thing! Evil Pan Am. I live in FEAR that a trip will be ruined by an ill-timed bug. Food poisioning is the absolute worst. I am therefore never eating again.

LOL! I would wager that most English people come out of central casting. Thanks for cheering me up; my D symptoms have come back this morning and I just had a quick moment here to post--

~nelly~

#166770 - 04/04/05 06:54 AM
Sara-Sage

Gotcha dude!

I won't say the eveil 'c' word again..... no.....

Thanks guys. new
      #168392 - 04/08/05 04:30 PM
Nelly

I just re-read these responses and it made me feel so much better knowing you guys are caring about me, especially cos my recovery has been really slow.

Today's a good day, and I know I'll eventually get better, but it's been so long now that I've forgotten how great I had it before I got sick. Ugh!

Anyway, I can't say enough how great all your responses made me feel. Thanks again!

~nelly~

#168712 - 04/10/05 12:55 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Oh my gosh, Nelly. How terrible. I just can't imagine going through this! Did you get the results from the lab yet that confirmed what caused it?

How are you feeling now? I hope you're doing well. You poor thing.

Nelly new
      #168828 - 04/11/05 05:27 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Are you any better? Did the doctors ever figure out what was causing this?

Re: Thanks guys. new
      #168845 - 04/11/05 07:10 AM
Sara-Sage

Gosh Nelly. You stay strong, don't give up. This all has to come to an end soon.

Big hugs for the Nellster.

Nelly..i just read this now.. new
      #168977 - 04/11/05 02:52 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

..and it registered that you mentioned a hospital bill on the Dublin trip thread but it went completely over my head.
Hope you are doing OK now.

--------------------
S.

#169247 - 04/12/05 11:04 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

OH, no Nelly, sorry I missed this! I hope that you are feeling better soon! being in the hospital has gotta suck
Good thing that part is over, right? Get plenty of rest sweetie
Glad to hear that you had a great time in Europe

sending huggs your way

--------------------
-Sheri

Edited by Sheri01 (04/12/05 11:05 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 813 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4722

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review