All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
if you had to buy a used car...
      #163212 - 03/23/05 05:05 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

in the 3000$ range- maybe a bit more- not sure of exact settlement still... what would it be? We need a car that will last until after we move, and then we can use as a trade in/down payment on a new car once the mortgage process is done. A) I am concerned about safety issues! b) I only drive a mile each way to work, but it would nice to have a car that would work for that and also for grocery shopping and other running around I might want to do for the next few months. C) since its only a car for a few months I don't want to be putting money into repairs right off the bat... d) I would love to get at least halfway decent gas mileage...

any suggestions? I'm leaning towards subaru, toyota, or honda- but that means 100k miles and about 10 years old at that price range.. personally I don't love american cars, but what do other people think, its been YEARS since I've even considered an older car....

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: if you had to buy a used car... new
      #163239 - 03/23/05 06:16 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Even with the high mileage possibility, I'd still consider a Toyota... they build those cars to LAST... a friend's mom is still driving her late '70s Toyota! It's a little rusty, but it's given her no problems for 25 years.

Personally, I love my Metro. It's a tiny, very basic car, but the gas mileage alone makes it worthwhile, and it's been really dependable for me.

#163243 - 03/23/05 06:53 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I second the Toyota suggestion! You can get a lot of car for $3000 if you go for a used Toyota. (my Tacoma truck has 112,000 miles on it and still runs gorgeously)

#163262 - 03/23/05 07:51 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Amy, I have no advice...but I hope you find a nice, WORKING, car that will do what you need it to do. Enjoy it in GOOD HEALTH (I sound like such a BUBBY LOL)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#163283 - 03/23/05 08:35 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Honda is not a bad option either. My friend used to work at a Honda dealer and she said that they never got a lot of major repairs for them just mostly people coming in for oil changes and such. And when they did need majors repairs they were like 10 years old or more.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#163290 - 03/23/05 08:47 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Have you considered leasing a car?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

michelle- new
      #163345 - 03/23/05 10:47 AM
khyricat

leasing will cause the same issues as buying- it meses up our mortgage! we are in the process of selling and buying a house in the next few months.. until that point we can't get into a loan or a lease without screwing up the prequals for the mortgage!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

thanks guys... new
      #163346 - 03/23/05 10:50 AM
khyricat

basically you backed up my opinion of honda or toyota.. or subaru (I'm a subie owner.. my first car was a toyota corona wagon that I bought with 100k and drove till 200k miles and sold... ) I am loyal to the japanese for long life of cars, but dislike the local toyota dealer...

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Okay may not be much help but... new
      #163494 - 03/23/05 06:34 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I have an older car. Well to me it's my newer car but it's 10 years old, going strong and I love it. I guess I don't know the conversion rate but it's now worth about $8000-$9000 (but cheaper depending on whether you buy private or from a dealer)AUD. It's a Ford Futura (you can also get the Fairmont which is a bit more luxurious apparantly) for around the same price. Now, I have no idea what the money conversion rate would be or even if they sell them in America but we love it. It's got heaps of room without being huge to drive (no armstrong steering and no tank like quality) all the mod cons (air con, cruise control etc) and we've had hardly anything go wrong with it (only what you'd expect from a 10 year old car like oil changes and stuff). Hope this might help in any way and good luck with the car shopping (I hated every minute of it).

--------------------
Amy

Amie - a Subaru new
      #163496 - 03/23/05 06:44 PM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

It's such a drag buying those Japanese cars used because they hold their resale value so well - ha ha! My Subaru is still pretty new, but I'm pleased with it. Good luck - I hope you can steer clear of swindlers.

Do you live in an area where it isn't safe to walk the mile to work? I've always dreamed of living close enough to walk or bike to work, and a mile sure is!

sperry_twiggins

I miss my subie already new
      #163597 - 03/24/05 04:25 AM
khyricat

and I only paid 1200 more then insurance paid out on it 18 months later (new car off the lot)... anyway... I have to cross a very major intersection- divided boulevard one way and 5 lanes the other... to get to work.. so DH doesn't want me doing that on foot o bike at rush hour.. I do it on weekends in good weather on the bike as is.. but again its also been below freezing- it snowed some here yesterday! and I need to be able to grocery shop and get to docs appt's too... not just work, though primary usage is work..

I'd be stranded on my days off too because DH can't get dropped off at work- he needs the car all day because he's a consultant and goes to different clients during the course of the day. we really need 2 vehicles.. though I think the decision was cheapy car for me until we can gt a loan and I am leaning towards another subie once that comes through. the problem is a loan before move=no mortgage or possibility of higher mortgage rate later.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#163609 - 03/24/05 05:13 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

A Toyota Corolla, but I am speaking from experience. I would say any Japanese car, they last way longer and have higher resale value.

Honda or Toyota! ---nt--- new
      #163638 - 03/24/05 06:44 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

#163641 - 03/24/05 06:45 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd go with a Honda...they are great cars and last forever in my experience!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1005 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1335

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review