All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
What are you reading RIGHT NOW? :-)
      #161761 - 03/18/05 06:06 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I know we've all mentioned our fav books a while back. I wanna know what you are reading in yur life right now!

I am rading "Why French Women Don't Get Fat". Lovel book! Entertaining, informative, and I'm learning some about French culture!

And here's a thought question: Do you think that what a person chooses to read says something about them?

Can't wait to hear from you *hugs*

P.S. Happy Friday!!!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW? :-) new
      #161763 - 03/18/05 06:08 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I am still reading a book on Highly Sensitive People (ya Paula...still not finished it..) but it is packed along with my million other books. I LOVE to read. I have to stop myself from buying books because I always spend WAY too much when I go into a book store. Books are my weakness.

#161795 - 03/18/05 07:23 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm reading the Rainmaker by John Grishman. Great book!!

Ruchie have you read the Red Tent? This is the next book I want to read. It is written by a Jewish woman and it is a novel written about Leah and Jacob's daughter Dianh from the Old Testmant.

#161869 - 03/18/05 10:41 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Womens Health Magazine...does that count?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

The Red Tent is AMAZING and more books I love! new
      #161871 - 03/18/05 10:57 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I read that book about a year ago and LOVED it. Real celebration of women!

I am currently reading " The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami but it has gotten boring.

Can I recommend some books pleease?

I loved the following:
Empress Orchid by Anchee Min
I just finished it before I started the other book- its about a women who is one of the wives of an emperor of China and lives in the Forbidden City - WOW !

If you liked Memoirs of a Geisha you will LOVE this, If you haven't read Memoirs of a Geisha, it is WONDERFUL!

The Poisonwood Bible is another lovely book about a US preacher and his wife and four daughters who move to the Congo before the war there, its really entertaining and funny! (The wife brings essentials like Betty Crocker cakemix to the jungle where they don't even have an oven)

If you like "old fashioned books" I adored Star of the Sea by Josepn O'Connor- its about the passengers of a famine ship on its way to the US from Ireland. Reading it humbles me because its impossible to believe that it is a modern book.

Also for people who like murder mysteries The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is an interesting take on a murder novel, told through the eyes of the victim.

I also love the Kathy Reichs books - the ones that investigate old murders- like Deja Dead and confess to devouring Patricia Cornwell's on holiday.

I was REALLY disappointed with the last John Grisham I read- The King of Torts, so would be interested in your views on that one Barbara.

OK- sorry to hijack but I love reading a good book and get soo enthused when I find one- GREAT THREAD RUCHIE!

--------------------
S.

#161877 - 03/18/05 11:21 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Haven't seen that one yet Shell...sure it counts Are you enjoying it...what are you learning?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: The Red Tent is AMAZING and more books I love! new
      #161899 - 03/18/05 12:11 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Memoirs of a Geisha is MY FAVORITE BOOK!!! That man can write!

Tina... new
      #161909 - 03/18/05 12:35 PM
cailin

Isn't it amazing?

I was DEVASTATED when I realised that it wasn't actually a biography, all the way through I just presumed that Arthur Golden was a translator. Silly, silly 'néad!

--------------------
S.

Re: The Red Tent is AMAZING and more books I love! new
      #161914 - 03/18/05 12:41 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

"The Poisonwood Bible" was SO good! Rarely have I cried so much because of a book: but it was good crying!

Right now I'm reading Isabel Allende's "House of the Spirits". It's also really good. I ended up hating the husband, but kept reading and he had all the bones in his body broken. He, he.

One of the better books that I've read in a long time is "A Prayer for Owen Meany". Just had to throw that in there, too.

--------------------
IBS-D

Isabel Allende! new
      #161917 - 03/18/05 12:46 PM
cailin

I had forgotten about her great stuff too.

My fave of hers is Daughter of Fortue (i think thats the name) its about Eliza is from Chile and goes to San Fran looking for her lover...fantastic, and the description of the pastries she makes...mmmmm!

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 627 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7019

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review