All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Shopping For A New Car - What Do Ya Think Of These Options?
      #161030 - 03/16/05 08:51 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm starting to shop for a new car.... What do ya think of a Subaru Outback? Does anyone have one and if so, which model? What are your likes and dislikes? Also, what year is yours?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (03/21/05 12:58 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oooooo! new
      #161038 - 03/16/05 09:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I WANT one! Would you get much use from it (as a huge SUV thang) tho?

my boss has one... new
      #161045 - 03/16/05 09:24 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

My boss has one and loves it. Its VERY heavy on gas though.. He is really into cars (his other car is a 1930s model that he restored himself and it has an open top)

I like the look etc but it wouldn't be practical for me from a cost effective point of view. And I have a thing against SUVs for a couple of other reasons, one being safety of pedestrians, another being safety of passengers (there's a safety index you can check online somewhere and I remember being amazed that the LandRover Freelander was REALLY unsafe and that a mini metro was better to protet passengers in a crash..google to see if you can find it)

Linz- would you know that I LOVE Topgear and Clarkson

--------------------
S.

Jezza! new
      #161047 - 03/16/05 09:27 AM
Linz

I overtook him once in my little Fiesta!!! Proudest driving moment of my life...lil ol' me screaming down the M4 in my DIESEL FIESTA overtook Jezza in a convertible.

I love TopGear too...I'd LOVE to do their lap race thingy.

I want a 4x4 for practicality (being a country lass with dogs) but I'd love something sporty and fast for playing with.

I was thinking like OUTBACK 2.5I WAGON new
      #161050 - 03/16/05 09:27 AM
Shell Marr

They really are not that big.... my Sister In-law and Boss's Wife both have one... I was thinking like this one...

OUTBACK 2.5I WAGON
MSRP Starting at $ 24,295*

A bold new redesign helps the Outback 2.5i Wagon deliver even more comfort, safety and performance than ever before.

168-hp 2.5-liter boxer engine
Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
4-stage heated front seats, heated mirrors, windshield wiper de-icer
8-way power driver's seat with Power windows, mirrors and door locks
16-inch aluminum-alloy wheels

ENGINE

Type 2.5-liter SOHC aluminum-alloy 16-valve horizontally opposed 4-cylinder Subaru Boxer engine. Platinum-tipped spark plugs.

Horsepower 168 hp @ 5600 rpm***

Torque (lb.-ft.) 166 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

Fuel & Ignition System Sequential multi-port fuel injection. Electronic Throttle Control (ETC). Engine management with integrated self-diagnostics and adaptive driving habits capability. Distributorless electronic ignition.

Fuel Tank Capacity 16.9 gallons

Fuel Economy (city/highway) Manual: 23/28 mpg, Automatic: 22/28 mpg

This would be a great car for when we travel over the pass to see Shane's Family and we could do camping or weekend trips in this baby. Concidering that the car Shane drives is an Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible.... this would be more the "Family" car

--------------------

ooh.. subies... new
      #161054 - 03/16/05 09:32 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I love my impreza ts wagon... would prefer an outback, but don't ned the extra size, so got the impreza instead.. wonderful on MI winter roads

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I'd forgetten the American size thing! new
      #161056 - 03/16/05 09:35 AM
Linz

Your cars are WAY bigger than ours. But if you're gonna be using the big SUV factor, then go for it. I would LOVE a car like that.

Being a Brit, I have a real thing against people who get 4x4s for driving round town! It's a BIG problem in London. All the yummy mummies driving their brats to school in pristine 4x4s with roo bars!

Re: Jezza! new
      #161058 - 03/16/05 09:46 AM
cailin

Linz............
That is a pretty cool claim to fame!
I think he's hilarious and love the lap thing too..
did you see the safety thing I am talking about?

I keep saying to P that I REALLY don't want us to end up with an MPV when we grow up and have kids. But I know that they are practical but they are so yummmy mummy.. He is dead against SUVs so it'll be a sporty MPV or a station wagon for us!

I also CANNOT belive how cheap cars are in the US.. the outback 1.5 costs €43995 which is about 58,971.84 USD!!!!!!!!!!!! jealous or what??

--------------------
S.

Edited by cailin (03/16/05 10:11 AM)

Re: I'd forgetten the American size thing! new
      #161060 - 03/16/05 09:52 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Your cars are WAY bigger than ours. But if you're gonna be using the big SUV factor, then go for it. I would LOVE a car like that.

Being a Brit, I have a real thing against people who get 4x4s for driving round town! Really the one that I'm looking at is the same size if not smaller then my Chevy Malibu Sedan...it terms of "space" taken. It's a BIG problem in London. All the yummy mummies driving their brats to school in pristine 4x4s with roo bars!

--------------------

Re: Jezza! new
      #161066 - 03/16/05 10:04 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I like the look of the outback alot! I've never driven one myself though.

I bought a new Jeep Liberty in 2002 and I love it!! Its not real big, gets good gas milage and I think its the perfect size!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

So jealous! new
      #161072 - 03/16/05 10:09 AM
Linz

The girls on here talk about new cars and their lovely houses and here's us with cost-of-living sky high! Moving to the States gets more and more tempting.

Oh! So not having a go at you Shell. new
      #161074 - 03/16/05 10:10 AM
Linz

I didn't mean YOU. Oh dear. The size of cars in the States always surprises me.

Me too... new
      #161083 - 03/16/05 10:21 AM
cailin

I agree with Linz, and its pure jealousy rather than anything!

In the US everything is bigger and cheaper.
My house is 850 square feet at a stretch but cost a fortune, when I hear about deals you guys get out there on real estate I want to move! (honestly)

I know that cars etc are way bigger over there too, but here they are smaller, probably because gas/petrol is so expensive over here that nobody would buy the stuff.

When we were in the US in January we hired a midsize car, at home our car would be in the midsize category but we got an ENORMOUS buick century and the sales guy kept telling us that we would be cramped in it and we should upgrade!! Its a cultural thing, in Japan everything is tiny, Europe is in the middle and the US is bigger.

As SUV's go it looks like a great choice Shell, (I just am against them cos of that TV programme I saw) what colour are you thinking? I am crazy about charcoal grey for cars at the moment but P says that most cars are designed in silver so they look best in that (he has never bought a silver car though)

Shane's car sounds cool, about four people in Ireland have convertibles, our showery weather doesn't help their sales! I would LOVE one!

--------------------
S.

Re: Shopping For A New Car - What Do Ya Think Of A Subaru Outback?? new
      #161121 - 03/16/05 11:21 AM
babymom

Reged: 02/24/05

My husnabd has a 2002 and loves it!! It was great in the winter's snow- I'd check the insurance for one though- it's really high here!

sounds like a plan... new
      #161188 - 03/16/05 01:26 PM
khyricat

DH drives the SUV because he carts stuff for work... I have a wagon.. most trips we use my car.. and I use my car for driving around town and for taking stuff to shows, classes and craft fairs, but SOMETIMES I need more room and then I trade with him for the day- his SUV can hold a TON of stuff.. I took art supplies for a weekend long kids camp to camp last fall in it.. and had branches on top for the succah... and my camping gear.. and food for me to eat at camp and there was SOME room to spare- but not much.. it was so nice to have the big vehicle instead of my car though, I would have barely seen out the back window with it all in my car.. you're talking one size up, should be good for you. I like the impreza because it gets good gas mileage even when I don't need the cargo space, yet has some space for when I need it. If I wind up with something bigger next time- it will be because I'm using it even more for my crafts business or because DH no longer has the jeep I can borrow!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#161193 - 03/16/05 01:35 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Very nice!!!

Can I butt in here?? new
      #161213 - 03/16/05 02:57 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I hope you don't mind! ...

I don't think the Outback is considered an SUV though! They sit much lower, more like a car, but they're all-wheel drive (versus the 4-wheel drive in the SUV's). The pic makes it look bigger than it really is. The height and length is closer to a wagon more than anything.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: Can I butt in here?? new
      #161239 - 03/16/05 04:03 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I hope you don't mind! ...

I don't think the Outback is considered an SUV though! They sit much lower, more like a car, but they're all-wheel drive (versus the 4-wheel drive in the SUV's). The pic makes it look bigger than it really is. The height and length is closer to a wagon more than anything.

Yes, I could not have said it better myself!! Thanks!!

--------------------

Re: Can I butt in here?? new
      #161241 - 03/16/05 04:11 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I'd check Edmunds.com to see what they have to say about it and find out how it stacks against its competitors. We used to use this site all the time when I was working for the insurance company to get info.

- Vincent

insurance... new
      #161269 - 03/16/05 04:51 PM
khyricat

isnt' any higher for mine then any other car of its year.. it was high the first yer because I bought a 2004 in 2003! but yes- check that out before you buy any car and talk to your insurance agent... sometimes they will tell you what car NOT to buy or what model/options to get/not get to affect insurance rates...

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

we have a Mitsubishi Outlander new
      #161317 - 03/16/05 08:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

It is cheaper but similar. I think I like the look of the Kia Sorento better than ours but it cost more. Anyway our car is a 4 cylinder so some people don't like it. I thought I would find it too slow but it is not. In fact I love it and never really like anything. The only problem with it is that it seems dirty all the time. Anyway I love it and everyone we drive in it loves it too. Ours is a 2003 and is green. We bought it with about 13000 but don't ask me the price b/c I forgot.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

LOL new
      #161319 - 03/16/05 08:16 PM
Little Minnie

My husband didn't fit in our UK rental car! Anyway the outlander is NOT a big SUV (by our standards). Expeditions are BIG. I saw a limo one the other day. It was monstrous!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

it is technically called a Sport Wagon nt new
      #161320 - 03/16/05 08:18 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

On the news today new
      #161321 - 03/16/05 08:19 PM
Little Minnie

Gas in the UK is equivilant to $6 a gallon! Sorry for butting in so much.

--------------------

Well ...... new
      #161358 - 03/17/05 05:23 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Shell, we were considering a Subaru several years ago, and I called the mechanic we used ---and completely trusted. He said, "Oh, no, not a Scooby Doo!" He said that's what they called Subarus at the shop where he worked. He said he would not recommend buying one because they don't have a good record as far as reliability ---and when something goes wrong with them, the parts are hard to get. For instance, if you are on the road and have trouble with it in a small town that doesn't have a Subura dealership, you may be screwed because many of the repair shops have difficulty getting the parts.

That's just one person's opinion. Take it for what it's worth. But this was the best and most honest auto repair person I've ever dealt with---so I trusted his opinion.

By the way, we bought a Honda, one of two cars he recommended. Guess what the other one was? Yep, Toyota!

funny.. my mechanic recommended the subie over the toyota... new
      #161449 - 03/17/05 10:14 AM
khyricat

but I had loved my toyotas and was going to get a new one until I walked into the dealership and was treated like [censored]... it was such a different experience at the subie dealer... anyway- most people I know with subies drive them into the ground- I know several fairly recent models with over 300k miles, but not a single toyota that way that was built in the last 10 years (my '81 made it to 220k and was still running a few years later... but the quality went down some after that!)

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Subarus new
      #161550 - 03/17/05 01:24 PM
cailin

loads mechanics over here drive subarus..and my boss is REALLY into cars and he loves his.

The ones we don't touch are FIATs- they say "Fix It Again Tony!"

--------------------
S.

#162014 - 03/18/05 04:55 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

My in-laws have one and love it! I say anything with All Wheel drive is excellent!

Good luck car shopping..

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Other Options?? What Do Ya Think Of These? new
      #162665 - 03/21/05 12:57 PM
Shell Marr

Thanks to everyone who has given their opionion!! Shane & I have been talking and we think we will also look at a Kia Sedona, Sorento, or Sportage.... or maybe even a Hyundai Tucson...we has also talked about a Toyota Rav4. What do ya think of any of these?

--------------------

I am a Toyota gal... new
      #162671 - 03/21/05 01:11 PM
Sara-Sage

.....so I recommend the Rav4!!!

Re: Other Options?? What Do Ya Think Of These? new
      #162675 - 03/21/05 01:21 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I haven't heard good things about Kia products in general, I guess they are not supposed to be very reliable. I own a Jeep Liberty, which is very similar to the Rava and I love it but there really isn't a LOT of space. The sport wagon you were first looking at would probably have more space if space is what you need!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#162688 - 03/21/05 01:39 PM
BL

Our next door neighbors have a Kia Sorento---and they love it. We looked at it when we bought recently, but my husband didn't want another SUV because of the gas mileage. I think the Sorento looks a lot like the Mercedes SUV.

Have you looked at the new Chevrolet SUV---the Equinox? That's the one I liked the most. It reminds me of the Acura SUV. Very classy!

#162693 - 03/21/05 01:44 PM
cailin

Shell,
My Dad drives a Sedona. He loves it. We hate it! There is very little leg room in the back for passengers and its quite basic inside. The other 2 Kias look great though.

Hyundai and Toyota both have great reputations and I LOVE the look of the RAV. I reckon you should test drive them ALL and see if you like the feel of them and that they suit your needs best.

Sounds like fun!!

--------------------
S.

#162700 - 03/21/05 01:48 PM
Shell Marr

Oh, I just thought of this one.... Mitsubishi Outlander...

--------------------

#162703 - 03/21/05 01:51 PM
BL

Shell, the editors of Edmunds.com gave the Kia Sorento a great review.

"Good looking, comfortable, rugged and well equipped, the Sorento is one of the best buys among small and mid-size SUVS."

Check out the entire review at www.edmunds.com.

What about the Honda CRV and Pilot? I like the look of the new Pilots!

Re: I am a Toyota gal... new
      #162758 - 03/21/05 04:04 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Or the 4 Runner....we purchased one last May and love it. We got the 6 cylnder so it's not such a gas hog. Plenty of room and great in the snow.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Shopping For A New Car - What Do Ya Think Of These Options? new
      #162781 - 03/21/05 05:27 PM
Little Minnie

Everyone says Subaru is wonderfully low maintainance and has a high resale. I think it looks more like a station wagon than a sport wagon. Some other sport wagons are more sporty looking.

--------------------

Kia Sorento is my fav new
      #162782 - 03/21/05 05:28 PM
Little Minnie

Was more than we wanted to spend though.

--------------------

note my post below about our car- nt new
      #162784 - 03/21/05 05:30 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

What about this car? new
      #162785 - 03/21/05 05:33 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Shell- Subaru Outback Feedback new
      #164106 - 03/25/05 03:38 PM
cailin

I was talking to my boss the other day about his car, I didn't realise since I saw it last (2 years ago- our parking lot is a walk from the building and I work on the top floor) he has changed his car twice. And both times he has gotten newer SUBARU OUTBACKS! He loves it, and his current one is the one in your pic. He said he would definitely recommend it to anyone.

--------------------
S.

#164714 - 03/28/05 11:39 AM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

How about an American vehicle such as a Ford Escape??

Re: Shell- Subaru Outback Feedback new
      #164716 - 03/28/05 11:48 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I was talking to my boss the other day about his car, I didn't realise since I saw it last (2 years ago- our parking lot is a walk from the building and I work on the top floor) he has changed his car twice. And both times he has gotten newer SUBARU OUTBACKS! He loves it, and his current one is the one in your pic. He said he would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Well, I guess that says a lot!!

--------------------

Re: Well ...... new
      #164717 - 03/28/05 11:49 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My mechanic also suggested a Honda or a Toyota as well!! I just bought a Honda on the weekend and should be getting it in a couple of weeks.

I have a friend who is driving a Honda with 500,000 kms on it which is ALOT and has had no major repair problems with it aside from things starting to wear out from being used so much.

I'm definitely looking forward to driving my Honda and finally getting rid of the Chevrolet Cavalier piece of crap I have.

#164718 - 03/28/05 11:49 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

How about an American vehicle such as a Ford Escape??

They are all bigger SUV's....

--------------------

Re: What about this car? new
      #164719 - 03/28/05 11:50 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Is this REALLY your car? Interesting.... I think my big toe might fit in there!! LOL

--------------------

#164720 - 03/28/05 11:53 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

My mechanic also suggested a Honda or a Toyota as well!! I just bought a Honda on the weekend and should be getting it in a couple of weeks. cool....what kind? My Mom wants me in a Toyota....

I have a friend who is driving a Honda with 500,000 kms on it which is ALOT and has had no major repair problems with it aside from things starting to wear out from being used so much.

I'm definitely looking forward to driving my Honda and finally getting rid of the Chevrolet Cavalier piece of crap I have. That is what Shane HAD also.... and I want to get rid of my bigger piece of CRAP 2000 Chevrolet Malibu....I've put so much money into that darn thing... I will NEVER buy another Chevrolet!!

--------------------

#164722 - 03/28/05 11:55 AM
Shell Marr

I'm waiting for a call back from my credit union now...we will see what kind of magic I can work so I can really start shoppin!!

--------------------

#164723 - 03/28/05 11:55 AM
Kimm

I will never buy another Chevrolet either!! Mine has only 120,000 kms on it and I've honestly put thousands into it to keep it running.

I bought a 2005 Hond Civic Si-G...sunroof, front/side/rear skirt kit, spoiler, tinted windows, power everything....I can't wait!!!

Go shell... new
      #164727 - 03/28/05 12:15 PM
khyricat

its fairly definite once we move I'll get another subaru... probably another impreza.. I like them a lot....

but meanwhile- I got a '92 toyota corolla wagon today to use in the interim... bought it at subie and looked at the new outbacks.. sweet... but bigger then I want personally.. I'll stick with the impreza's.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#164732 - 03/28/05 12:24 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I will never buy another Chevrolet either!! Mine has only 120,000 kms on it and I've honestly put thousands into it to keep it running. I have just over 60,000 miles on my 2000 Chevrolet.... and well over $7,000 in parts & labor, NOT including lube & oils, tires, and general wear and tear.

I bought a 2005 Hond Civic Si-G...sunroof, front/side/rear skirt kit, spoiler, tinted windows, power everything....I can't wait!!! SWEEET.... be sure to take pics when you get it!!

--------------------

Re: Go shell... new
      #164734 - 03/28/05 12:27 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

its fairly definite once we move I'll get another subaru... probably another impreza.. I like them a lot.... the Impreza looks a lot like my Malibu..

but meanwhile- I got a '92 toyota corolla wagon today to use in the interim... cool! bought it at subie and looked at the new outbacks.. sweet... but bigger then I want personally.. I'll stick with the impreza's. good luck with that....

--------------------

My car? NO new
      #164745 - 03/28/05 01:28 PM
Little Minnie

We took this picture in England. Aren't they funny?

here is my real car

--------------------

Re: My car? NO new
      #164749 - 03/28/05 01:31 PM
Kimm

There are lots of those all over the roads where I live....I can't stand them!!! They are sooooo ugly...and I can't imagine them being very safe.

It's so small that an accident with a minivan would probably be equal to a regular sized car slamming into a bus.

They are supposed to be really good on gas and better for the environment but I still think they're ugly and unsafe.

Re: Go shell... new
      #164757 - 03/28/05 01:45 PM
khyricat

once we're in a house it will be easy enough.... no debt except the house anymore...

anyway- impreza wagon is my thing, but I like smaller jap cars, not american ones anymore nad I love the features the impreza comes with.... the outback was really nice too.. just big and I don't like driving big cars..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Talked To The Credit Union.... new
      #165002 - 03/29/05 11:23 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I'm waiting for a call back from my credit union now...we will see what kind of magic I can work so I can really start shoppin!!

OK, it looks like we will be looking at and test driving a Kia Sorento and a Hyundai Tucson...I'm not sure that I can afford the payments on the Subaru Outback

--------------------

#165003 - 03/29/05 11:28 AM
Kimm

Well good luck and have fun!!

kia new
      #165011 - 03/29/05 11:39 AM
Little Minnie

I would get the KIA. That was the car that made me envious after we got our Mitsi. I love how it looks and doesn't it have the 100,000 warranty?

--------------------

Re: kia new
      #165021 - 03/29/05 11:55 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I would get the KIA. That was the car that made me envious after we got our Mitsi. I love how it looks and doesn't it have the 100,000 warranty?

Sorento Warranty

Tucson Warranty

If I'm not mistaken.... I beleive that Kia's are made by the same people who make Hyundai's

--------------------

oh LOL -nt new
      #165025 - 03/29/05 12:01 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Good luck! new
      #165030 - 03/29/05 12:05 PM
khyricat

Thats another reason I love the impreza.. cost effective and not a BIG SUV... just a station wagon... but if you get a kia, let me know- thats what we were talking a bit about looking at as an alternative.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

I just priced the alternatives... new
      #165032 - 03/29/05 12:14 PM
khyricat

how important is the 4wd or AWD? for me here in MI I don't want to go back to 2WD in the winter... so I need the 4wd, at tht point its a LOT cheaper to do the impreza again instead of the kia or Hyundai!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: I just priced the alternatives... new
      #165037 - 03/29/05 12:30 PM
Shell Marr

We want 4WD... we have mountian passes to deal with to see him family.

--------------------

Re: I just priced the alternatives... new
      #165046 - 03/29/05 01:25 PM
khyricat

we offroad a lot ourselves... if you'r looking AWD, unless you need the bigger tires- impreza works, if you do then your in the same price range wiht all, but for us- we have the jeep for the nasty stuff in KY and the minor stuff I can handle in the impreza... our current road can be iffy, and we are looking at houses with driveways that will need a lot of care, and maybe a few with some extra out of the way parking we may use ourselves so our friends can use the driveway and garage if needed...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Talked To The Credit Union.... new
      #165047 - 03/29/05 01:31 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

OK, it looks like we will be looking at and test driving a Kia Sorento and a Hyundai Tucson...I'm not sure that I can afford the payments on the Subaru Outback

I'm gonna add the Toyota Rav4 and Mitsubishi Outlander to the final cut also... those are in my price range too!

Kia Sorento starting $19,665 MSRP
Hyundai Tucson starting $17,499 MSRP
Mitsubishi Outlander starting $17,999 MSRP
Toyota Rav4 starting $18,750 MSRP
Subaru Outback starting $24,295 MSRP

--------------------

Edited by Shell Marr (03/29/05 02:04 PM)

Shell- new
      #165201 - 03/30/05 07:30 AM
khyricat

if you are willing to forgo some of the size.. the impreza works out cheaper then any of the above once you swap them to 4wd/awd- by at least 2k... the outback isn't..

also- outback sport starts at 18995.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Shell- new
      #165228 - 03/30/05 08:53 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

if you are willing to forgo some of the size.. the impreza works out cheaper then any of the above once you swap them to 4wd/awd- by at least 2k... the outback isn't..

also- outback sport starts at 18995.

I don't care for the back end of the Sport....and we do want the extra room. I don't think a Subaru will be in our budget...

--------------------

ah well.. thought I'd share.. new
      #165238 - 03/30/05 09:14 AM
khyricat

we decided the budget does better for a subaru then a SUV especially because there is a big gas mileage difference and I'm adding to my commute by a chunk no matter how we look at it... most of these places are at least 10 miles more if not 15/20 each way over where we are now...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Oh, thanks for sharing new
      #165262 - 03/30/05 10:35 AM
Shell Marr

I'm kinda bummed we can't afford one..... that is really what I want.... BUT...I want a house more!! That is the next purchase... somewhere in the next couple of years.

--------------------

Re: Oh, thanks for sharing new
      #165266 - 03/30/05 10:38 AM
khyricat

the house comes first for us too... but we have the house AND the car but with the loss of the car know we can wind up with another at the same price... and not affect the house, but need ot wait until AFTER we're in the house! so thus my cheapy car for awhile.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

I've been looking...... new
      #166092 - 04/01/05 08:58 AM
Shell Marr

I've been looking at the Rav4 on the road....I see them A LOT...and I think they are just too small..., so I'm gonna cross that one off my list. So, I'm down to these......

Kia Sorento $19,665 MSRP
Hyundai Tucson $17,499 MSRP
Mitsubishi Outlander $17,999 MSRP

--------------------

go test drive! new
      #166133 - 04/01/05 10:45 AM
khyricat

then see how you feel.. but also vehix and cars.com bother have comparison programs so you could pull up the 3 side by side and see the stats... I can't decide or get a car for at least 2 months, but I figure I'll go test drive the prius Monday- then I can either leave it on the list or cross it off fast!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

I just got an email back from Pemco....... new
      #166191 - 04/01/05 12:46 PM
Shell Marr

OK, I just got an email back from Pemco.... I'm currently paying $935 per year for my 2000 Malibu.

2005 Kia Sorento EX/LX $1,103 ($168 more per year, $14.00 per month)
2005 Hyundai Tucson $1,179 ($244 more per year, $20.33 per month)
2005 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS $1,152 ($217 more per year, $18.08 per month)

Not bad.....

Test drive time over the next couple of weeks...

--------------------

good luck! new
      #166209 - 04/01/05 01:13 PM
khyricat

its great that the rates are that close...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Test Drove A Few This Weekend new
      #168944 - 04/11/05 12:12 PM
Shell Marr

I'm glad I don't have to buy cars often cuz the going from dealer to dealer and having to talk with the sales people and how they do the switch off stuff just drives me NUTS!! LOL

Any way... here is the scoop......

2005 Subaru Outback (too much $$)

2005 Kia Sorento (too much $$)

2005 Kia Sportage - liked it alright

2005 Hyundai Tucson - liked it better then the Kia, basically the same...since they are made by the same company..but did not "look" as cheap!

2005 Toyota Rav4 - This one BY FAR is my fav!!

2005 Mitsubishi Outlander - decided not to buy one due to many roomers of them going out of business.

Will go back out again next Sun I think with my Sister.... I'm the driver, SHE is the negotiator...and she is really good at it... she had a few "burn on them" lines when they were talking about $$. She is rather FIRM!!

--------------------

RAV 4,RAV 4RAV 4RAV 4RAV 4RAV 4RAV 4RAV 4RAV 4 new
      #168946 - 04/11/05 12:34 PM
Sara-Sage

Re: RAV 4,RAV 4RAV 4RAV 4RAV 4RAV 4RAV 4RAV 4RAV 4 new
      #168948 - 04/11/05 12:54 PM
Shell Marr

LOL .... I do recall your the Toyota girl!! I just got off the phone with my sister.... we ran the numbers and she says, "all I know is you need to buy this soon, so I can sleep!" It is all she can think about is closing this deal!! LOL So, I have a feeling by this time next week I'll be driving a 2005 Rav4 (basic hopefully w/sunroof.....in either silver, white, or maybe the green!!)

--------------------

Just got an email back from Pemco.......on the Rav4 new
      #168953 - 04/11/05 01:05 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

OK, I just got an email back from Pemco.... I'm currently paying $935 per year for my 2000 Malibu.

2005 Kia Sorento EX/LX $1,103 ($168 more per year, $14.00 per month)
2005 Hyundai Tucson $1,179 ($244 more per year, $20.33 per month)
2005 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS $1,152 ($217 more per year, $18.08 per month)

Not bad.....

Test drive time over the next couple of weeks...

I emailed Pemco this morning to find out the rates for the Toyota Rav4.... looks like it is the same as the Hyundai.

2005 Toyota Rav4 $1,179 ($244 more per year, $20.33 per month)

--------------------

Re: Test Drove A Few This Weekend new
      #168989 - 04/11/05 03:14 PM
khyricat

Good luck and positive thoughts headed your way.. I am leaning towards a wagon and not an SUV since we have Bill's- better gas mileage for me... so... jetta wagon (diesel) or impreza or some other car.. they all seem to be the same price range too!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Hope everything works out with the Rav4... new
      #169248 - 04/12/05 11:08 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

... I am a Toyota driver (1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5) and I love it! No major problems. Great in the snow, too. Need that with the snow storms we get in New jersey.
Only recurring problem I hear about from other Toyota owners and experience myself is the body rusting!
Still wouldn't trade it for anything though!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Hope everything works out with the Rav4... new
      #169271 - 04/12/05 12:32 PM
khyricat

odd- I live in MI and lived in NJ when I had the corona (toyota) and neither that or my now 13 year old carolla have had much rust on them... even when they got up there... there are a few little spots, but BIll's 10 year old jeep has more rust then my 13 year old carolla...

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

I THINK I'M BUYING TODAY! new
      #170316 - 04/16/05 05:55 AM
Shell Marr

I think I'm buying today after my personal training session at the gym, oh and getting my nails done...LOL

Here is a sample pic of the 2005 Toyota Rav4 and in the same color that I like.......

I'll let ya all know what happens...

--------------------

GO SHELL! GO SHELL!!! new
      #170338 - 04/16/05 11:26 AM
khyricat

nice looking vehicle.. and good luck!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

I did NOT buy my Rav4 new
      #170488 - 04/16/05 10:34 PM
Shell Marr

I did NOT buy my Rav4 I just could not afford the payments.... I'm looking at other options....really no hurry...besides... I already had great news at the gym... I'm in too good of a mood to let it get me down.....

--------------------

good luck whatever you decide! new
      #170990 - 04/18/05 04:38 PM
khyricat

I can definitely udnerstand the payment issue!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Shell this picture is ............ new
      #171394 - 04/19/05 09:22 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

just for you to drool over again.

http://img2.uploadimages.net/show.php?img=529102MVC-005S.JPG

Re: Shell this picture is ............ new
      #171395 - 04/19/05 09:30 AM
Shell Marr

Gee...thanks Barb!! LOL Reminds me of my old Z28... oh, those were the days.....

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 214 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31309

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review