All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
If you had a baby girl/boy what would you name them? What does your name mean?
      #160041 - 03/13/05 03:38 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kayla for a girl after hubby's mom.

For a boy...something with an I afer my grandfather. Probably Isaac (pronounced Yitzchak...Yitzy is the cutest nickname!)

If I wasn't naming for someone, here are some names I adore (these are all Hebrew or Yiddush names. I wrote what they mean next to them if I know the meaning):

GIRLS
Ayala
Atara (princess I think)
Chavie (Eve in Hebrew)
Leah
Malka (queen)
Zissel (Zissy)
Perel (Peri) (flower)
Nechama (comfort)
Ahuva (love)
Shoshana (Susan)
Hadassah (spices)
Dalia (a type of flower) ( I LOVE the nickname Dals...too cute! Dalia, did anyone ever call you that?)
Chani (Hannah)
Karin (one of my best friend's names!)
Bracha (bless)

BOYS
Baruch (bless)
Yonasan
Avidan
Simcha (happiness)
Sruli
Zalman
Yisroel (Israel)
Yeruchum
Shmuli (Samuel)

My English name is Rachel. It means sheep. I was not given a Hebrew name but 2 Yiddush names. Shaina (beautiful) and Rickla (Yiddush for Rivka. It means modest/beautiful).

Many people call me Rachel or Ra-chel or Ro-chul. Others call me Rivka. Others still call me Shain and others Shaina Rickla! LOL

So I am a beautiful, modest sheep! LOL (Sheep is used to refer to modesty).

So what about you? what does your name mean? And what do you want to call your kids?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Nicola... new
      #160043 - 03/13/05 04:18 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

This is something I found from the web: Nicola means - Victorious people : Greek

You are fairminded, wise and peaceloving and are always willing to help others. Your mental capabilities and creativity are well marked with wonderful and original ideas which you need to bring to tangible fruition. Perceptive and understanding of others your positive approach to life and influential nature means that you have leadership qualities. There is great potential for success both financially and spiritually.

Which is great news, as I'm skint and I've just started a job as a Manager!! Its all true!

Have no plans for kids, but always said that I'd name my daughter Ashton or Ashley , not too sure about those names now I'm a bit older!! Times change an' all that. Boys...hmm, haven't thought about this in a long while - but I'd quite like something traditional like Jack or Harry - they are cute names! I'll have to put some more thought into it....

Re: If you had a baby girl/boy what would you name them? What does your name mean? new
      #160045 - 03/13/05 04:36 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Isabel is dirived from Spain and means "concecrated to God".
Since I'm such a history fanatic, I like to imagine that I was named after the prized line of Spanish queens, who were all named Isabel, through tradition.

My middle name, Maryse (which was actually supposed to be my first name), is Dutch and is an alternative to Mary, or Marie. It's tradition in my family for the female's middle name to be Marie, but my mother (through some insight), decided that I might want to be different.

How right she was.

Re: If you had a baby girl/boy what would you name them? What does your name mean? new
      #160046 - 03/13/05 04:44 AM
Ravenndark

Oh, and, I don't plan on having children myself, but I do plan on adopting.

If I adopt straight from the baby's birth and the mother hasn't given a name, the name choices are:

Girl:
Illsuena
Inacrai
Ilanys
Nevaeh
Nynaeve

Boy:
Perrin
Xavier

I have a few other names, but can't think of them right now.

Casandra means "prophetess"... new
      #160048 - 03/13/05 04:55 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

"...in the Iliad, we learn that Cassandra was the child of King Priam of Troy, and she was considered to be Priam's most beautiful daughter (Homer, Iliad, Book XIII, 365)... According to one version of the story, Cassandra received the power to foretell the future from the god Apollo. Apparently, Apollo instructed the mortal woman and taught her about the art of prophecy because he had an ulterior motive - the god wished to win her affections. Cassandra accepted Apollo as a teacher, but not as a lover. Naturally, the god was insulted by this refusal. So he punished Cassandra. Apollo caused the gift that he gave Cassandra to be twisted, making everyone who heard her true and accurate foretellings of future events believe that they were instead hearing lies... In one memorable example, Cassandra announced the dire consequences of the Trojans accepting the infamous Wooden Horse from their Greek opponents. But as Apollo made certain, no one believed Cassandra when she warned her companions about the future. And this, in the end, was to be Cassandra's tragic fate." - Mythography

And my middle name is Jean, which means "God is gracious". I have the same middle name as my mom.

Right now I'm really liking the name Shannon (Irish/"wise one") - for a boy or a girl. I haven't given the whole babynaming thing much thought beyond that. There's a lot of really interesting, strange names that I like, but I'd never want to saddle my kid with something *too* bizarre.

#160060 - 03/13/05 06:05 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

ARGH stooopid connection died on me
so I will summarise
My name means gracious and is the Irish for Jane or Jean

Names I like- they are all quite Irish, my kids will have the surname Fox

BOYS
Ciaran (Keer-awn)
Darragh (Darra)
Donal (dough-nal)
Eoin (owe-in) version of John
Conor
Ruairi (Rue-ree)

Girls:
Aoibhin (Eve-een)
Niamh (Neeve, my sister's name)
Laoise (Leesha) Radiant girl
Róisín ( Ro-is-een) Little rose
Moya (version of Marie or Mary)

I am more keen on my boys ones than my girls' ones and am convinced that my first child will be a boy..

--------------------
S.

Flower new
      #160073 - 03/13/05 06:30 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Well Heather means Flower!!! LOL

I don't know the meaning of Makenna's name!!! I may have to look that up!

If we have another Girl it will be

Amiliea Marie or Jillian Anne

If we have a boy

I love the name Jack (rich dosen't)
we have talked about
Seth
Tighe (TY)
Xzander
Gavin
Griffon

Another GREAt question Ruchie!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Nicola... new
      #160074 - 03/13/05 06:32 AM
heather7476

I love Jack for a boy also!!! My DH dosen't!!! I may be able to talk him into it though!! I had to work on him very hard to get my daughters name and now he loves it!! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

I LOVE Griffon! new
      #160078 - 03/13/05 06:40 AM
atomic rose

Back when I worked at the hospital, one of the doctor's wives I knew had a son named Griffon... she called him Griffy for short and it really was just the cutest thing. LOL! I'm trying to remember the names of her other sons... she had 4... the only other one I can remember is Parker. They all had neat names.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Heh.

I love Makenna. And Amiliea. And Gavin. Great names!

If Kenna had been a boy new
      #160080 - 03/13/05 06:42 AM
heather7476

she would be Griffon Thomas!! LOL I have spent alot of time picking out names!!! I could write a book!! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

#160092 - 03/13/05 07:29 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

That's so easy....girl=Sara!
Boy=Alex!

names..DH new
      #160095 - 03/13/05 07:32 AM
cailin

doesn't Lynette on DH have a son called Parker?

I dated a Gavin and over here Gavin is a very posh name, I am not a fan as a result. This a link to the Irish top 25 babies names for 2003 per birth certificates. we are pretty traditional and haven't gotten into the last name as a first name thing yet... its a matter of time though..Irish babies' names

--------------------
S.

Jack.... new
      #160102 - 03/13/05 08:16 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Definitely work on him - its such a cute name and as he grows it grows with him, its kinda an "all round" name, ok for kids and great for adults!!

#160125 - 03/13/05 10:41 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hmm..
My name means 'Crowned One' or something like that - kinda the same as a lotta names mean!

Boys:
I like...
Parker
Hunter
Austin

Girls:
I like..
Rhiannon (except I don't like Rhia very much)
August
Brooke
Lucy (I dunno why, I've always liked the name Lucy)
Gemma
And I really LIKE this name but it's Adrian's ex-girlfriend's name so it makes me grrr: Eloise.

Cheers!
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#160136 - 03/13/05 12:18 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

My name means princess of the Ash tree or something like that.

Girls
Kayleigh
Alexis
Carly
Madison

boys
gavin
tristan
joshua
braedin
Aidan
Jackson
Carter

I need to come up with more good girls names. haha.

--------------------

Already had my three new
      #160142 - 03/13/05 01:41 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03

and I am not having any more. Here are their names and meanings:

Collin - dove
Stephen - crown
Helen - light

and mine, Jane, means - grace of the lord

I wanted to name my youngest daughter Amelia (beloved) Jane but my husband wanted to name her after his mother. She is a light in my life so I am glad that we went with Helen.

--------------------
Janey

Amelia Jane! new
      #160151 - 03/13/05 02:46 PM
cailin

Janey-
When I was little my favourite books were the ones about "Naughty Amelia Jane" by Enid Blyton...think Helen was a good choice!

--------------------
S.

#160158 - 03/13/05 03:16 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Liam which is the last half of William meaning "Will Helmet" in Gaelic.
Quinlan means "beautiful shape" in gaelic.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I already had my 3 too but they didn't get the names I would've chosen.. new
      #160175 - 03/13/05 05:16 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Well I chose Kahlea Elizabeth, which means spirited (and that she sure is!), Isabelle Jane and Jacinta Maree were a joint decision with DH but I would've picked Hope Leigh for a girl and James, Thomas or Jaiden for a boy. Middle name would've been William after my dad
Mine (Amy) means Beloved.
Ruchie, I love ALL your names
I've always just been called Amy till I met DH other than one good friend who called me Jane and a nickname I had in high school, Rose (aka rambling rose cause I'm always talking!)

--------------------
Amy

Pretty! new
      #160180 - 03/13/05 05:23 PM
atomic rose

I've always liked the name Hope... that was my maternal grandmother's middle name. Speaking of family names, I totally forgot that I've always loved my paternal great-grandmother's name - Marista. That's another one I'd consider for a girl.

I really like Kahlea, too... I like the spelling of it.

I totally forgot about the "what people call me" part. Pretty much everyone calls me Casey, except for one high school friend who insisted on calling me Casandra... although the funny thing is that my nickname was SANDY until I was a couple years old. Then my parents switched to calling me Casey. I'm still not sure what's up with that!

My dad just calls me "little girl" and always has. The older I get, the more amusing I find that, but of course I hope he never stops it!

#160198 - 03/13/05 07:19 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Elizabeth means "Consecrated to God". Beth means "House of God". My mom named me after Beth in Little Women. She's the shy one that is very sickly and dies! She was my favorite too, but much rather have the life of Jo!

Favorite girl names:
Madelyn
Grace or Gracie
Isabelle (Bella)
Emilyn
Laura (big Little House on the Praire fan)

Boys names:
Benjamin
Jacob
Matthew
Joshua
Jack
Kevin

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#160264 - 03/14/05 03:41 AM
Ravenndark

I LOVE Little House!

Hehe, I watch it whenever it's on!

Re: Pretty! new
      #160267 - 03/14/05 03:55 AM
Sara-Sage

That's so cute that your dad calls you little girl. Obviously it isn't said ina bad way but out of love. Aww...that's so cute!

#160316 - 03/14/05 07:11 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

No clue on kids' names, haven't thought that far ahead.

Melissa comes from the ancient Greek word for honeybee. My parents think it's appropriate since I'm always so busy!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#160320 - 03/14/05 07:26 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Although we are done having kids we still have other names picked LOL

Boy = Wallace
Girl = Brooke Elissa - named after Mags whose real name is Melissa and I just dropped the M for something different.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: Ravendark new
      #160352 - 03/14/05 08:47 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Did you pick Nevaeh because its heaven backwords?? One of my patients named there kid this for that reason. I like the way it sounds, Nevaeh! I think its a great name!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Ravendark new
      #160356 - 03/14/05 08:54 AM
Ravenndark

I did, in fact.

Most of the names on my list were created by me, and have their own special meanings.

Illsuena to me means a double, or a twin.
Ilanys means to hunt, like a wolf.
Inacrai means stolen sun, or searching for the stars.

But Nevaeh is simple, and the meaning is there.

Re: My picks! new
      #160357 - 03/14/05 08:55 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, obviously, this subject has been on my mind for a while now!! LOL!! Can't remember the exact meaning of Michele. My mom wanted to name me Shanna but my biological father made her call me Michele, after the Beattles song, "My Michele." My middle name is Marie, which is both my moms and grandma's middle names.

My hubby is William James, after his father. We haven't decided on any names fro sure. We both like Jake, but Jake Brake just doesn't cut it!!

Isable Irene (Irene is my grandmas first name!)
Madelyn Marie (If I have twins, I thought these two names would be great!)
Vernoica Lyn (my moms name is Lynda or Lyn for short!)
Olivia Irene

Alexander (Alex) James
Oliver ?
My hubby wants to name a boy OSCAR after his grandpa!! I told him no way!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

My name picks..... new
      #160362 - 03/14/05 09:13 AM

Unregistered

I swear I should have written some of these down awhile ago because there are great ones I'd think of and swore I'd remember and now of course I can't.

But anyhow..

Colby - a name I love and could be for either a boy or a girl

Other Girls:
Cesca (like chess-ka)
Abigal - I always wished that that was my name since I was like 5
Brigitta (The Sound of Music is my all-time fav movie)

Other Boys:
Boden
Braeden
Willem
Breckin

I wish I was more awake and could think of the others..but that's all I got for now before I run to class!

#160364 - 03/14/05 09:18 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I have two girls and their names

First daughter is named Ashlynn (anglicization of Aislinn/Aisling, Irish and means vision or dream), her middle name is Alicea (meaning Noble Humor). She got her first name b/c my paternal grandmother is of irish decent and her middle name b/c I found out I was pregnant with her on the day my DH's grandmother died and her name was Alice, I just added an a on the end so it would flow better w/ Ashlynn.

Second daughter is named Britney (meaning from Great Britain) b/c my grandfather was of English decent and her middle name is Catherine (meaning pure) b/c she was born 2 days after my mom's birthday and her name is Catherine.

I want to have another child but hubby doesn't but if I did I would name a boy
Aedan (born of fire, modern irish) middle name Blake (fair-haired, old english) or if another girl then Caitlin (meaning blessed, pure, or holy: irish) middle name Marie (meaning bitter sea, french) also the middle name of my grandmother.

Really would love to have a boy and love the name Aedan. We were camping last summer and the brother and sister in the campsite next to us were named Ashlynn and Aedan. I tried to convince hubby it was a sign, since we have a Ashlynn and I want to name a boy Aedan but he didn't buy it.

Finally my name is Christie english appointed one, but also a scottish surname.

Cool post Ruchie,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#160426 - 03/14/05 12:03 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Quote:

Although we are done having kids we still have other names picked LOL

Seriously? I think there is something wrong with me. I want another one .

We have:

Madeline (magnificent) Rose (God's Gracious Gift)
Meike (who is like God?) Elizabeth (Oath of God)
Zoe (Life) Anne (Graceful one)

If they were boys they would have been Elijah Thomas, Thomas Lloyd (our fathers' first names) and the new one is Nathan Timothy (our brothers).

If we had another girl I would like to name her Anna Joy or Joyce (my mom's middle name), I think. Anna is mentioned in the bible and I love the name because of what she was remembered for. We also thought about Chloe before we decided on Zoe. I liked Abigal and Olivia and Isabel but dh wasn't crazy about them. The names just keep coming. Obviously the girls names come easier LOL.

#161327 - 03/16/05 08:40 PM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

Ruchie - great question..A little late answering but..My name is Lisa...my Mom wanted to name me "Deserai"..hebrew name is Leah Razel..named after great grandmother and a great grandfather. My older daughter (7) Gabriella Rose is named after..the "G" for a my husbands grandmother Gert and a Aunt Gussie on my side. Hebrew name is Gittel Shoshanna. And, Shayna Chaiya (5) was named for my Grandmother Esther..didn't like the name per say...so "ES" did the letter of her first name "S"..her hebrew name is the same. My sister lives in Rockland County...Suffern. She doesn't have IBS problems (she has MS)..cause I had asked her when you were looking for a GI.

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

#161400 - 03/17/05 07:55 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Ruchie, I just opened this and saw my name in the list! Aww You're more than welcome to it (Bamidbar, 1:11)

For those interested, my name means "My father judged" or "My father judges" depending on what form of the Hebrew verb "dan" you're choosing.

I don't know what I'd name my children. Most likely, I'd name them in the usual Jewish tradition of naming children after deceased relatives, usually the new child's great-grandparents. So in that vein, my son would be named Leib (bli ayin hora, my mother's father is still alive and well)and my daughter would be named Baila, Rachel, or Leah, or some combination thereof.

As an interesting point, my full name is Avidan Moshe. Moshe comes from one of my great-grandfathers. Avidan sort of does; I'm technicallly named after an Avraham. But my parents didn't really like the name Avraham, so they named me Avidan instead.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#162292 - 03/19/05 05:24 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Ooh- I missed this thread as I was in Florida. Hopefully this will be relevant and important for us in a year or so, I wish we could start trying to have a baby now, but not until after coursework is done...

My name is descended from Guinevere or Genevieve or something and means White Lady. I think. It's boring, that's for sure.

If Eric and I have a girl we plan on naming her Norah Briony.

If we have a boy we have a list, but haven't settled on anything in particular. (We really want to have a girl. This means, of course, we'll get a boy).

This is the rest of the lists of names we find acceptable:

GIRLS
bryony
norah
miriam
elena
isabel
alice
calyx
cassia
doria
stella
celia

BOYS
sebastian
brennan
finn
corin
duncan
greyson
sawyer

I LOVE your name Casey! new
      #162470 - 03/20/05 02:43 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Cassandra has now gone on my list! Which I can never remember without writing it down and taking ages over it, which why I haven't actually replied yet. It's all romantic/pretty/meaningful names for girls and good strong simple names for boys.

#162488 - 03/20/05 03:31 PM
Linz

Girls' name: Cassandra (Casey), Tallulah (Lulu) and Georgiana (Georgy). All with two middle names (I have a LONG list ), probably with at least one being a flower/plant I like, eg. Lavender, Rose, Heather. And I love Arwen as a middle name.

Boys' names: James, Dominic, Benedict (Ben), Toby, Felix...they're harder!

My name ...."From a Scottish surname which was originally derived from a place name meaning "Lincoln's wetland" in Old English." Wahey for me.

#162499 - 03/20/05 04:34 PM
cailin

Arwen- are you a LOTR fan Linz?

--------------------
S.

#162509 - 03/20/05 05:00 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

heeeey
my girls would be: Sofia, Juliette, Maya, Maayan, Gabriella, Jennifer
my boys: Ethan, Aidan, Joseph, Joshua, Samuel
XXXXXX
Oh and my name is Dalia Yael
Dalia is the dahlia flower in hebrew and Yael is a gazelle in hebrew...so I am a flowering gazelle...must have known I would turn out all naturopathic and greeny!!! :-)

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

LOTR -Oh yeah! new
      #162864 - 03/22/05 01:31 AM
Linz

I was a Tolkien nut before the films were even out.

#162910 - 03/22/05 06:35 AM
babymom

Reged: 02/24/05

Interesting to think about- it's been a while since I've looked at a book of names- My kids are Emma and Jack.. Guess I should find out what they mean!!

#162972 - 03/22/05 09:16 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

Girl: Madeline Faith

Boys: Marcus Wilson and Malichi Walker unless we have a boy first and "he looks like he should be John Arrington Wrenn III."

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#162976 - 03/22/05 09:24 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Lets see, if we have a girl... we've decided on Kyra (pronounced Keera) Rose. (Grace Elizabeth is also in the running)
If we have a boy, Richard Philip... Richard after DH's favorite uncle who's passed on and Philip after my older brother.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: LOTR -Oh yeah! new
      #163105 - 03/22/05 05:04 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

See, I loved the movies, but when I read the books I didn't get it. But I'd love to be an Oxford professor, with the stuff they've written, they must have all the time in the world on their hands.

No babys please, new
      #163128 - 03/22/05 06:56 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

no babys for me I had 5, I,m to old to even think about babys,you young girls have all the babys you want,no more for me,

Gerry10

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Re: No babys please, new
      #163199 - 03/23/05 03:40 AM
Sara-Sage

Ha, ha too funny! No babies for me either!

Re: LOTR -Oh yeah! new
      #163208 - 03/23/05 04:37 AM
Linz

Yeah the books and the movies are quite different. Studying Tolkien is more like studying history than anything else!

That's too bad new
      #163263 - 03/23/05 07:54 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Tina, you'd be an EXCELLENT mom! But of course...you should do what makes you HAPPY!

How many days till the big move? It's this week right?!?!?!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I figured I'd bump this up since baby names came up! -nt- new
      #287274 - 10/20/06 03:52 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04

--------------------

Re: I figured I'd bump this up since baby names came up! -nt- new
      #287374 - 10/21/06 03:48 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

GREAT bump, thanks!

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 446 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14055

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review