All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
If you had a baby girl/boy what would you name them? What does your name mean?
      #160041 - 03/13/05 03:38 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kayla for a girl after hubby's mom.

For a boy...something with an I afer my grandfather. Probably Isaac (pronounced Yitzchak...Yitzy is the cutest nickname!)

If I wasn't naming for someone, here are some names I adore (these are all Hebrew or Yiddush names. I wrote what they mean next to them if I know the meaning):

GIRLS
Ayala
Atara (princess I think)
Chavie (Eve in Hebrew)
Leah
Malka (queen)
Zissel (Zissy)
Perel (Peri) (flower)
Nechama (comfort)
Ahuva (love)
Shoshana (Susan)
Hadassah (spices)
Dalia (a type of flower) ( I LOVE the nickname Dals...too cute! Dalia, did anyone ever call you that?)
Chani (Hannah)
Karin (one of my best friend's names!)
Bracha (bless)

BOYS
Baruch (bless)
Yonasan
Avidan
Simcha (happiness)
Sruli
Zalman
Yisroel (Israel)
Yeruchum
Shmuli (Samuel)

My English name is Rachel. It means sheep. I was not given a Hebrew name but 2 Yiddush names. Shaina (beautiful) and Rickla (Yiddush for Rivka. It means modest/beautiful).

Many people call me Rachel or Ra-chel or Ro-chul. Others call me Rivka. Others still call me Shain and others Shaina Rickla! LOL

So I am a beautiful, modest sheep! LOL (Sheep is used to refer to modesty).

So what about you? what does your name mean? And what do you want to call your kids?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Nicola... new
      #160043 - 03/13/05 04:18 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

This is something I found from the web: Nicola means - Victorious people : Greek

You are fairminded, wise and peaceloving and are always willing to help others. Your mental capabilities and creativity are well marked with wonderful and original ideas which you need to bring to tangible fruition. Perceptive and understanding of others your positive approach to life and influential nature means that you have leadership qualities. There is great potential for success both financially and spiritually.

Which is great news, as I'm skint and I've just started a job as a Manager!! Its all true!

Have no plans for kids, but always said that I'd name my daughter Ashton or Ashley , not too sure about those names now I'm a bit older!! Times change an' all that. Boys...hmm, haven't thought about this in a long while - but I'd quite like something traditional like Jack or Harry - they are cute names! I'll have to put some more thought into it....

Re: If you had a baby girl/boy what would you name them? What does your name mean? new
      #160045 - 03/13/05 04:36 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Isabel is dirived from Spain and means "concecrated to God".
Since I'm such a history fanatic, I like to imagine that I was named after the prized line of Spanish queens, who were all named Isabel, through tradition.

My middle name, Maryse (which was actually supposed to be my first name), is Dutch and is an alternative to Mary, or Marie. It's tradition in my family for the female's middle name to be Marie, but my mother (through some insight), decided that I might want to be different.

How right she was.

Re: If you had a baby girl/boy what would you name them? What does your name mean? new
      #160046 - 03/13/05 04:44 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Oh, and, I don't plan on having children myself, but I do plan on adopting.

If I adopt straight from the baby's birth and the mother hasn't given a name, the name choices are:

Girl:
Illsuena
Inacrai
Ilanys
Nevaeh
Nynaeve

Boy:
Perrin
Xavier

I have a few other names, but can't think of them right now.

Casandra means "prophetess"... new
      #160048 - 03/13/05 04:55 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

"...in the Iliad, we learn that Cassandra was the child of King Priam of Troy, and she was considered to be Priam's most beautiful daughter (Homer, Iliad, Book XIII, 365)... According to one version of the story, Cassandra received the power to foretell the future from the god Apollo. Apparently, Apollo instructed the mortal woman and taught her about the art of prophecy because he had an ulterior motive - the god wished to win her affections. Cassandra accepted Apollo as a teacher, but not as a lover. Naturally, the god was insulted by this refusal. So he punished Cassandra. Apollo caused the gift that he gave Cassandra to be twisted, making everyone who heard her true and accurate foretellings of future events believe that they were instead hearing lies... In one memorable example, Cassandra announced the dire consequences of the Trojans accepting the infamous Wooden Horse from their Greek opponents. But as Apollo made certain, no one believed Cassandra when she warned her companions about the future. And this, in the end, was to be Cassandra's tragic fate." - Mythography

And my middle name is Jean, which means "God is gracious". I have the same middle name as my mom.

Right now I'm really liking the name Shannon (Irish/"wise one") - for a boy or a girl. I haven't given the whole babynaming thing much thought beyond that. There's a lot of really interesting, strange names that I like, but I'd never want to saddle my kid with something *too* bizarre.

#160060 - 03/13/05 06:05 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

ARGH stooopid connection died on me
so I will summarise
My name means gracious and is the Irish for Jane or Jean

Names I like- they are all quite Irish, my kids will have the surname Fox

BOYS
Ciaran (Keer-awn)
Darragh (Darra)
Donal (dough-nal)
Eoin (owe-in) version of John
Conor
Ruairi (Rue-ree)

Girls:
Aoibhin (Eve-een)
Niamh (Neeve, my sister's name)
Laoise (Leesha) Radiant girl
Róisín ( Ro-is-een) Little rose
Moya (version of Marie or Mary)

I am more keen on my boys ones than my girls' ones and am convinced that my first child will be a boy..

--------------------
S.

Flower new
      #160073 - 03/13/05 06:30 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Well Heather means Flower!!! LOL

I don't know the meaning of Makenna's name!!! I may have to look that up!

If we have another Girl it will be

Amiliea Marie or Jillian Anne

If we have a boy

I love the name Jack (rich dosen't)
we have talked about
Seth
Tighe (TY)
Xzander
Gavin
Griffon

Another GREAt question Ruchie!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Nicola... new
      #160074 - 03/13/05 06:32 AM
heather7476

I love Jack for a boy also!!! My DH dosen't!!! I may be able to talk him into it though!! I had to work on him very hard to get my daughters name and now he loves it!! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

I LOVE Griffon! new
      #160078 - 03/13/05 06:40 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Back when I worked at the hospital, one of the doctor's wives I knew had a son named Griffon... she called him Griffy for short and it really was just the cutest thing. LOL! I'm trying to remember the names of her other sons... she had 4... the only other one I can remember is Parker. They all had neat names.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Heh.

I love Makenna. And Amiliea. And Gavin. Great names!

If Kenna had been a boy new
      #160080 - 03/13/05 06:42 AM
heather7476

she would be Griffon Thomas!! LOL I have spent alot of time picking out names!!! I could write a book!! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1249 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14052

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review