All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Girls, what do you do to feel better about yourself?
      #159247 - 03/10/05 12:25 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Ok girls, I've always struggled with self esteem issues. Over the years, I've gotten better but this past week, I've just been feeling "ugly." I've been having a "bad hair day" for a week now! It seems none of my clothes fit. I'm trying to lose weight, I've lost 6 pounds, but I'm right inbetween sizes. All my pants are either too big or too tight. I live in Michigan (which means I haven't seen the sun in 5 months!) so I'm as pale as a ghost!

I don't want to buy any new clothes since I have a closet full if I would just lose another 6-7 pounds. I have bought some new eyeshadow and lip gloss, which is fun to play with! I'm in the process of growing my hair, its about as long as in my profile picture. I cut it a while back and my bangs are just a smidge too short to stay tucked behind my ear so they are hanging in my face and driving me bonkers! I wear it pulled back in a ponytail or headband a lot!

I'm sure part of it is hormonal, I'm on cycle day 33 or some crazy thing and haven't gotten my period yet! I have always been so very regular so this has got all my fertility testing on hold until I get my period!

I've thought about buying some time at the tanner so I don't feel so pale. I know its not that good for you but I don't do it much. But, I work full time and have swim class 3 nights a week right after work so finding the time will be tricky!

Does everyone else get into these funks where they just don't feel pretty? If so, what do you do to help yourself out of them? I have a party this Saturday to go to and I'm not really looking forward to it because I just feel "icky" about myself right now.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Girls, what do you do to feel better about yourself? new
      #159261 - 03/10/05 12:40 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hmmmm.... shopping, facial, hang out with girlfriends, go dancing, do yoga, rent a funny movie, but new makeup, try on expensive dresses that I could never afford (he, he), go get a haircut, colour, or something.

Just pamper yourslf and tell yourself that you're well worth it because it's TRUE!!!

#159268 - 03/10/05 12:49 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I go for dinner with my friends, go shopping or just go to the gym and work out really hard.

Tanning is also a good idea because it has actually been proven to increase your seratonin production and make you feel happier!! In Canada we can get tanning sessions prescribed by our doctors if we need to!! My boyfriend gets winter depression and he gets them prescribed. Pretty funny eh?

Firstly... new
      #159270 - 03/10/05 12:51 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

...we haven't seen the sun over here since about September, so know EXACTLY what you mean about being pale! I get days/weeks like you described, and I think after the initial, comfort eating, swearing a lot at myself in the mirror - I tend to try and do something adventurous, like have a hair cut (something you'd never consider having!), go out wearing something different, bake something you've never baked before, you know what I'm getting at? Thats what works for me - may be worth a try? xx Hope you feel better soon, coz YOU'RE GORGEOUS and shouldn't worry at all!

S.A.D new
      #159271 - 03/10/05 12:52 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I suffer with a bit of that too! Its horrid, and have to wait until April/May until the sun starts to come out again - I am going for a sunbed....!!

#159272 - 03/10/05 12:53 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I know just how you feel - I feel the same way. A little makeup tip from another pale white person - buy some translucent powder that has a hint of bronze in it. It will help you look less pale. Besides, from your picture, you look like a fantastic lookin' gal just the way you are. Ever thought of highlights? They're a great pick-me-up in the middle of winter. It brightens up your face I think.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#159275 - 03/10/05 12:55 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Michele, sorry you're having this yucky feeling about yourself. I can relate, as I think most women can. Last week, I got my haircut--- and I feel 100 percent better about myself!

Other things that perk me up are lipsticks and painting my nails!!!

My problem is the weight I've gained. And I know with my inactivity it will be a long process of losing it. I've started back on Weight Watchers, and just knowing that I'm headed in the right direction is a tremendous boost. At least the scale is not moving upwards anymore!!!

Find something that will make you feel special~ It doesn't have to be anything extravagant. Sometimes it's the little things that matter the most.

You are special to all of us!!!! ((((Big hugs))))

#159290 - 03/10/05 01:15 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Quote:

I cut it a while back and my bangs are just a smidge too short to stay tucked behind my ear so they are hanging in my face and driving me bonkers! I wear it pulled back in a ponytail or headband a lot!

It's like you were looking at me through the computer right now LOL - That's my current hair style and I know how you feel.

I just made an appointment this afternoon to get my hair trimmed and get some layers put back in it! I always find when my hair doesn't look good - I don't feel good.

I suggest making an appointment even to try a new color and a trim or something.

And treat yourself to a few new pairs of pants or something. Just enough until you down to the next size. I hate when I have baggy clothes or too tight of clothes. I say it's treat time. It's not worth feeling crappy when you can totally fix it.

Hope this passes soon for you. We're all here for you!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#159292 - 03/10/05 01:18 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

hugs Michele, I am having a "fat week" right now, even though I am 15 pounds lighter than I was this time last year and within my healthy weight. To cheer myself up now I look at photos of happy times or days that I felt great- holiday photos, pics of people's wedding where I was all glammed up etc it reminds me that I can look great

I, like everyone, indulge in retail therapy too,and then feel crappy about my finances.

Taking positive action like going to the gym of for a walk after work on fat days helps me too.

You are right about the hormonal thing too, its all linked u

hugs

--------------------
S.

Re: S.A.D new
      #159295 - 03/10/05 01:19 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Your dr prescribes tanning for you??!! How cool is that!! I think I'll call the tanner and see if I can get in this weekend!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 867 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 942

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review