All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Ultrasound question
      #158153 - 03/08/05 07:02 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Ok last week I was reading about how a couple of you that have had ultrasounds have gotten D....how come?? Is it because of all the water you have to drink or because of the stress? Im just wondering because I have to get one today in about 5-6 hours (not for a pregnancy) and I will be driving 2 hours there and back and DO NOT want to be sick! Any advice would be great!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ultrasound question new
      #158160 - 03/08/05 07:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It depends where you're having it done...they can be used to help recover from injuries for example. It makes sense that some IBS-ers that get abdominal ultrasounds have some symptoms afterwards as they work on injuries by vibrating your insides (clotted blood in injuries)!

But I'd try not to fret...that's more likely to be a problem anyway!

#158163 - 03/08/05 07:15 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Its a pelvic ultrasound - I recently went to my doctor and she told me I have an enlarged uterus so I have to get an ultrasound to find out why - thanks for the input Linz!

I've just thought... new
      #158165 - 03/08/05 07:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...they probably use different frequencies for looking at and treating anyway. Don't worry about it! You'll be fine.

Re: I've just thought... new
      #158170 - 03/08/05 07:36 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I've had more ultrasounds than I can count in the last year!! It seems to me if I have the ultrasound done in the afternoon, I'm fine. If I have it in the morning, thats when I seem to have problems! I typically have a BM after breakfast anyways and I think all the water before going potty gives me D. Its not the D itself that is so terrible, its having D BEFORE the ultrasound and not being able to pee!

Since yours is in the afternoon, you should be fine!! Just eat a light lunch and be sure to try and go potty before you start drinking your water! Let us know what you find out!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#158216 - 03/08/05 09:02 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I think some people have talked about getting symptoms because of the pressure of the ultrasound. Generally it's a pretty easy/painless exam, but some technicians push harder than others, and if they're really pushing on your abdomen and that's a trigger for you, I think that's when some people get symptoms.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what they find

#158242 - 03/08/05 10:20 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I had 5 ultrasounds during my last pregnancy and had stomach problems each time. It always happened before the u/s because I was nervous, not because of the actual test. Actually the most stressful ones, when I was afraid I might be having a miscarriage, were the ones I didn't have a problem with. I guess it happened so fast I didn't have a chance to have problems.

Abby and Heidi new
      #158340 - 03/08/05 11:57 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Abby...I wish I had some advice for you! I hope it goes well and you're in my thoughts! *hugs*

Heidi...your kids are ADORABLE! How are you doing? I hope super

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#158376 - 03/08/05 01:06 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

It's because of the pressure they put on my stomach. Added to the pressure of a belly bursting with water, it's enough to make my stomach go out 100% of the time.

Just budget your day for a D attack. As long as you're expecting it, you can clear your schedule and get some quiet alone time at home and near *your* bathroom. Good luck!!

~nelly~

Re: How did it go? new
      #158699 - 03/09/05 09:01 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Just curious as to how you did yesterday and if they had any answers for you?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 471 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3599

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review