All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Nik, I LOVE your new pic! n-t new
      #158059 - 03/07/05 11:21 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Why, thank you! new
      #158062 - 03/07/05 11:40 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Its the "thinner" me, but I've put more on since!! xx

Sending you the pounds I need to lose from my meds n-t new
      #158066 - 03/08/05 12:22 AM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Some silliness for Tina - fashion show! new
      #158316 - 03/08/05 11:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I still haven't busted out my spring/summer clothes, but it's a dreary sleety day and I needed some cheering up, so I thought I'd play with some stuff I picked up recently while thrifting.

This is pretty much what I'd normally wear in warm weather, although I've now decided that I really don't like the shirt (horizontal stripes DO make you wider!): 2 vintage half-slips layered to make a skirt, embroidered platforms, and a t-shirt. I can still fit in kids' sizes, so I have a lot of early- to mid-'80s summer camp & souvenir t-shirts that I wear. I also have a ton of full slips that I layer to make sundresses. Old lingerie rules.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I wish this picture had come out better. This is the oldest thing I have in my closet: 1920's sheer striped cotton blouse.

Believe it or not, there's a matching sleeveless dress under that coat! I found this at goodwill this weekend for 95 cents! 1960s.

Sooooooo cool Casey! n-t new
      #158325 - 03/08/05 11:39 AM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Some silliness for Tina - fashion show! new
      #158332 - 03/08/05 11:47 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Those are really cool....the layered slip thing is an awesome idea! And I love the red coat/dress!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

You're so cute! new
      #158335 - 03/08/05 11:54 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Why can't I ever find cool stuff like that when I go to resale shops? All I ever see is stretched out old tshirts!

Is there a difference between a thrift shop, a resale shop, and a vintage shop? I want to find some old stuff, like from the 20's or at least older than the 70's! I don't know of a place that only has vintage clothes. Where is the best place to find something like that?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

CASEY!!! I love it! Thanks pal! new
      #158337 - 03/08/05 11:54 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Your have so much style my dear! I love all your clothes especially the orangy-red dress! I should give you some of my mom's clothes from the 70s.

You're too cute Casey!!!

YOU MADE MY DAY!!!!

We need to meet one day! I think we'd hit it off right away!

Weight... new
      #158345 - 03/08/05 12:08 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Thanks - I'm putting weight on really quickly now - its great!! I think my body has suddenly decided to start digesting things properly!!! xxx

LOL!! new
      #158350 - 03/08/05 12:21 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It's hard to find good stuff at thrift stores, it really is. I've been lucky. But here's my tips for good thrifting:

Only go on a day that you REALLY feel like shopping, because good thrifting is work. If I'm doing a hardcore thrifting day, I will literally end up shopping for 4-6 hours solid. There's 5 or 6 thrift stores down in Bangor, and when I go down there, I hit every single one. The larger ones, like Goodwill and Salvation Army, might take me well over an hour apiece. I literally look at almost every item in the areas I'm interested in - dresses and lingerie, mostly.

I have better luck for certain items at certain stores. For everyday clothes - old slips, t-shirts, thermals - I go to a tiny store here in town, run by one of the local churches. I like giving them the business, and their prices are WAY cheaper than the bigger stores. For vintage stuff, Goodwill is just about the best.

Finding anything older than 1970s is PURE luck. Nothing else. I found that 1920s blouse at Goodwill for $3. It's not in great shape, which is probably why it was so cheap. But anyway, if you want to find nothing but older stuff, your best bet is to look for a vintage-clothing shop in your area (be warned: theyre usually EXPENSIVE), or try ebay.

I call thrift and resale shops the same thing - thrift stores. A vintage shop is more specialized, and because of that, it's likely to be more expensive. A consignment shop is somewhere between the 2 - because the owners need to pay a portion to the person who donated it, their prices tend to be a little higher than thrifts... but the upside is that they can afford to be a little more selective, so they're good choices for things like evening wear, coats, and better clothes.

And I just went on way longer than I needed to, but I love my thrifts. I hardly ever buy clothes new, I just love digging through those dusty racks and finding treasures!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 466 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30061

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review