All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anyone her crochet?
      #15582 - 07/30/03 10:33 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I want a hobby so I decided to take up crocheting. My grandma and great-aunt are always giving us these beautiful blankets.

Anyone out there have any tips or suggestions for getting started?

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone her crochet? new
      #15585 - 07/30/03 10:36 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

There are some great books out there. Are you right or left handed? There is one book I think is called "Learn to Crochet in One day" which I learned from. I'm left handed so my mom-in-law couldn't teach me but this book was great! And now I'm off to the races. Oh yeah, and start with a medium hook and a nice crochet cotton. Wool is tough to start with and you don't want to start on anything too fine.

Have you thought about cross-stitch? It's really nice too and you can make some really beautiful pictures as well as other things. I've been doing that for years.

If you get stuck let me know and I'll see what I can do.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#15588 - 07/30/03 10:39 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I tried cross stitching once. It was wonderful! Any tips? The one I made was a tablecloth and napkins...but the design was there...you just had to fill in the stitches. Do you know where you can get something like that...thanks!

P.S. I want to make something for some people who lost their 6 year-old son. Any suggestions (they're not Christian...and neither am I)?

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15593 - 07/30/03 10:44 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I'm a lefty. Ill check that book out. Thanks!
julie

--------------------
~jules

#15596 - 07/30/03 10:49 AM
Corinne

I usually do counted cross-stitch. It's really easy and I always enjoy it. Where to get stuff? I'd say check out your local craft stores as they usually have a pretty good selection.

What to make for your friends? Well, there are cards you could stitch. Or maybe a sympathy verse that you could frame. Again, check out your local craft stores or the internet. I'm in Canada so I get everything from the store my mother-in-law manages. Can't help you there. Do you have a Michael's craft store? They are usually really good. We just got one here and I spent WAY too much time there.

Hope I helped!

On a personal note, any special reason you are not a Christian? Jesus has been a very big support for me and for many others. He can do amazing things in our lives. I hope you don't think I'm pushing but I am interested in why people have or haven't made that choice. I didn't come to Christ for awhile but now am very glad I did. If you want more information or just want me to leave it let me know.

By the way, I love the pic! Where do you work? I think I missed some of that as I'm new to the board and all.

Good luck and let me know what you decide about the cross-stitching. I'm always up to give help to new stitchers. I love to share my passions and stitching is definitely one of them.

Smile!

--------------------

#15602 - 07/30/03 11:26 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for the cross-sticthing ideas! We do have a Michaels, I think...I'll have to check.

I'm glad that you are religious and that this has helped you. I am also religious--I'm an orthodox Jew! I was born Jewish, and I love it! Being religious is a wonderful thing, I think--we're very lucky to have this in our lives!!!

I am a kindergarten teacher. It's AMAZING--best job in the world. This was my first year teaching--and I hadn't studied education. It was tough! But amazing--and well worth all the hard work. Now I can't wait to have kids of my own, G-d willing, in the right time! What do you do? How old are your kids--they're so cute!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15625 - 07/30/03 12:25 PM
Corinne

Fair answer thank you. Yes, being religious is very wonderful and has helped me a lot.

I, too, am a teacher but never really got to work as we moved several times and then we had kids and decided I would stay home. I think it's a lot better for the kids than day care. I'm here for them and can teach them what I want them to know both religious and secular.

I'm sure God will bless you with children when it is the right time.

Take care and let me know what you find!

--------------------

#15636 - 07/30/03 12:48 PM
Snow for Sarala

That's SO GREAT! I want to be a stay at home mom also. I also agree--in the right time, G-d willing, we'll have children!!!

Are you planning on home schooling your children, sending them to private school? My hubby have discussed both...I guess we'll decide more definately when we actually have kids!

I think this board is AMAZING! Everyone here is so respectful of other's beliefs, opinions, etc. Thank you for that Corinne!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15659 - 07/30/03 01:43 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I crochet afghans as well! I only work on them in the winter, but have made quite a few of them.

When I was in high school my boyfriend (at the time) his mom bought me a book (really thick) with afghans for each season or special occassion (ie: baby blankets, winter fireplace blankets etc). Anyways - the greatest thing about the book was that it also had each stitch and how to do it in the back. It was wonderful because you could choose a simpler blanket and then learn more and more as you go!

It is wonderful. I would suggest finding a book like that. Also - you could go on the internet and look up patterns and tips. My grandmother does that all the time because she has been crocheting for so long she is sick of the same patterns over and over!

Anyways - good luck!
If I can help you in anyway I will do my best.
I wish there was a way to send you a copy of some of the patterns.
Hmmm - maybe I could photo copy some of the pages for you....and then mail them?

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#15709 - 07/30/03 06:55 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi; I do both crochet and crossstitch and love them both. Crochet is an easy relaxing hobby to can just relax with. You could check out Annie's Attic and Crazy for crossstitch.com for info on both of these. They are both on the web.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 254 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6134

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review