All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
??What's one good thing that has happened to you today??
      #15564 - 07/30/03 10:16 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Ok, time to list the positives. And I don't want to hear "My D has stopped!" or "I had a really incredible BM today!" I'm not saying that we can't get excited about this stuff, because I know that I do(!), but I've found that "normal" people just don't get excited about that stuff.

What's one good thing that has happened to you today/this week?

Here's mine:

I've finally bonded with bf's dog (soon-to-be 'our' dog) Max. He's a lab/rotweiler mix and has a head the size of a car tire. He can be very moody and crabby and didn't like me so much right away. Long story short -- Max jumped in bed with me this morning after bf had jumped in the shower. He put his head on my tummy! I was so excited!

But then, of course, later when I tried to shepherd him into the kitchen before leaving for work, he growled at me when I picked up 'chewy'.

Baby steps....Baby steps

Your turn!

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ??What's one good thing that has happened to you today?? new
      #15574 - 07/30/03 10:24 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

1) I found out that the cancer that my friend is one of the most curable kind--so he should be able to go into remission! G-d willing he'll be ok! (We didn't know what kind of cancer it was--that was VERY scary!)

2) I'm going to try out a girl's bike my hubby found for me on E-bay. If the test drive goes well, I'll have a bike! (I haven't had one since I was a child!)

3) I'm still listening to the IBS tapes! Consistency, not one of my strong points, is a big victory for me!

Thanks for this great idea Jules! I think we need another forum..."Jules Great Ideas"

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Oooh ooh! Pick me! Hand waving in the air! new
      #15579 - 07/30/03 10:32 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I've been praying for months that my oldest son Luke would get a GREAT teacher for this coming school year, he'll be in Pre-K, the year before kindergarten, going 5 mornings a week like such a big boy. Even though he has Asperger's and needs some support, he will be completely mainstreamed with therapists coming to work with him WITHIN that setting a few times a week. I believe that is best for him but all that makes a Mommy concerned. What if the teacher doesn't like him or isn't flexible or resents his therapists coming in all the time? Well, the teacher called me today to see if we could set up a time to meet before the actual Open House to talk about Luke, she is so excited to have him, she asked tons of questions and is so nice. She said they will get along great because she likes things to be predictable too (what a great attititude!) and the real clincher, as I went on trying to share the good things about him and touch on the "bad", she finally just said, "Don't worry Mom, it's going to be fine because I'm just going to love him, and the rest will work itself out". Okay, tears! That's my biggest prayer, because if you just let yourself fall right in love with him you can't help but be patient with his little quirks. Okay, so God brightened my day with that phone call today, for SURE!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#15583 - 07/30/03 10:34 AM
jules

Michelle, your post gave me goosebumps! How wonderful to know that there are teachers like that out there!!

--------------------
~jules

#15584 - 07/30/03 10:36 AM
Snow for Sarala

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's AWESOME!!!!!

Luke is going to have a WONDERFUL year! You'll have to tell us all about it!

I had a student this year with major issues...he was one of my fav ids! Had a lot of problems...but a heart of gold! Kids with "special needs" are SO SPECIAL!

I'm thrilled for you Michelle!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15590 - 07/30/03 10:40 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Our good friends had their baby! She's a real cutie. That's a really great thing. I love babies! Now I get to go shopping for baby stuff and make some cute blankets and a quilt and all that. Yayyy!

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#15591 - 07/30/03 10:42 AM
Snow for Sarala

HOORAY!!!!!!!! That's great news! I love babies too! The babie's a cutie or your friend is a cutie? How much does she weigh...

I can't wait to have a baby!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15594 - 07/30/03 10:47 AM
jules

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't wait to have a baby too! I was anti-kids there for a while. I never baby sat, had much younger relatives, etc. and just didn't click with them.

Then, my friend had her first child this month, and I was hooked! Got the names all picked out and everything!

--------------------
~jules

#15599 - 07/30/03 11:10 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

I had a great day today, just spending a day with my husband. We went to the mall, picked out some holiday clothes, had lunch at a restaurant we'd been meaning to try. And the kids were at their club for the day (much as I would have loved them to be there, sometimes it's nice to just have 'me and him' time - believe me it doesn't happen very often )
Not very exciting but a good day for me

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#15600 - 07/30/03 11:19 AM
Snow for Sarala

Awww!

I know how you feel! I was actually anti-marriage there for a while. Then I was dating this guy, really immature, and I said "I'm tired of playing games, I want the real thing!" I called my parents and told em' I would know who I would marry in six months. That night was the first time I saw my hubby! We got engaged within six months of my telling my rents' I'd know who I was gonna marry! (I think it was 4 and a half months actually when we got engaged. My hubby and I date just under 3 months and then got engaged. I would have said yes after only 2 weeks!)

I wasn't sure how soon I'd wanna have a baby either. I SO WANT ONE! I want to have a HUGE family!!!

I'm so excited for your friend, that's awesome!! Tell her congrats for me!

So, when are you two getting engaged Jules? It sounds like it's not too far off......

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15603 - 07/30/03 11:30 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Well, I got to see my friend that used to work with more for the first time in 3 months! We got to go to lunch together and gossip. I also got to see her wedding photos. It was fun to take my mind off of all the stuff that I am thinking about now. My husband and I are trying so hard to move back to Pittsburgh. He is a teacher and jobs there are JUST SO HARD to get. I have something lined up, but if he doesn't then our chances are shot until next year. Sorry... I know that this is supposed to be good stuff...I didn't mean to go off on a tangent. But, I had to vent because you guys are such godd "listeners"

Thanks!
Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

tnchawk new
      #15604 - 07/30/03 11:33 AM
Snow for Sarala

It's great that you got to see your pal for some girl time!

It IS hard to get teaching jobs! I agree! I wish your hubby all the best of luck! Let us know how that goes!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15605 - 07/30/03 11:33 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Ruchie,
If you think that's fast, wait 'til you hear this - I met my husband to be on my 19th Birthday, dumped my boyfriend the next day. We got engaged 10 days later and married a year to the day after we met, on my 20th Birthday - AND we had our daughter by then who was 10 weeks old - you figure out the math!!
They said it wouldn't last, and we're still ticking along quite nicely...

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Re: tnchawk new
      #15606 - 07/30/03 11:34 AM
tnchawk

Thanks Ruchie...You are always such a strong positive spirit for us. I appreciate the support. I will kepp you guys posted!

Christianne

--------------------

#15607 - 07/30/03 11:38 AM
jules

Wow Ruchie, we have similar stories. I got engaged Oct 2002 and broke it off Feb 2003 to someone who wasn't right for me (we had major religious differences). After a year of being single (though my mom put the bug in my ear about my bf -- she knows him from work) I went out on a date with him, a week later he fell in love with me (told me this later), two weeks later we both said the Big L-word to each other, and I've all but practically moved in. We even have our little ankle-biters named already. We're getting engaged this year, sometime, actually, in the next coupla months or so.

I never knew that I could be so sure so quickly. I would have said yes after two weeks also! I called my mom and told her that I was marrying him. She was like "ok, jules" but I didn't think that she believed me. I just knew! and so did he! He wasn't planning on getting married at all (he's 31) because of his past relationships and how he got along with women. We're best friends, and that's what makes the difference. He's also been incredible through all this IBS-crap.

Actually we have the funniest I Love You story. It was two weeks after our first date, and we had gone out bar-hopping with my sister and her bf. My bf ended up driving us home, and while heading down the freeway, he goes into this whole "I know that I probably shouldn't be saying this, but it's what I feel... Although I know it's way early...blah, etc., blah" spiel. I froze, completely knowing what was coming. Then, he said it. "I love you Jules". Mind you, my sister and her bf were in the back seat (though I think that they were making out). I had had a coupla drinks and just sat there in shock after he had said it. This is where we have different opinions on what happened next.

He said that I looked at him, said "awwww" and patted his leg. I like to think that I was a little more tactful, and mumbled something like, "that's so sweet", but he tells it to people the way he thought he heard it. Anyway, we rode in the car in silence until we reached the grocery store (needed more beer). I grabbed my sister and hauled her down the bread aisle and told here everything. She was shocked (in a happy way).

Later that night, I got to talk to bf alone (I still tell him he's a dorkwad for telling me that in front of other people) and told him that he had been drinking and that his judgement was a little off. If he remembered and still felt the same way the next morning, then I would believe him.

Well, of course he remembered and of course he felt the same way. It took a while for me to say it -- about 20 minutes or so -- but here we are, stronger than ever!

Sorry for the novel!

~Jules

--------------------
~jules

#15610 - 07/30/03 11:47 AM
Snow for Sarala

Wow! That's awesome! My hubby and I got married after knowing each other 7.5 months...I wish it'd been sooner (but I guess it doesn't matter now that we're married, right?)

I love relationship stories!!!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15612 - 07/30/03 11:59 AM
Snow for Sarala

That is SO CUTE!!!!!!!!

After two weeks I wanted my hubby to ask me to marry him. He waited--and waited--and waited...he flew on the plane to meet my folks (I was in my last year of college...this was winter break), and I thought FOR SURE he would ask me then (it would have been like a month and a half then). We went to Disney for a day--he'd never been--and I thought he would ask me there. When he was leaving me and my fam, he told me to start looking at wedding magazines. So my mom and Grammy and I went shopping for a wedding dress--even though he hadn't proposed yet! When he got back from meeting my fam, he bought my engagement ring. I had NO idea he'd done this! About a month later he wakes me up at like 4:30am and says "Get up, we're going on a surprise adventure!" We met up and he took me for a ride.

Get this: It was Valentine's Day. He figured as a joke, (we're Jewish, so we don't celebrate V-day), he would have me thinking it was the surprise I'd been asking him for (I'd been begging him for some to surprise me). The whole ride I was thinking "I wish he'd ask me to marry him. But I know he won't...not yet. I'd know if it was coming. He's just doing the surprise I asked him for". So we ended up by the water. He gives me this poem about dancing through life together that he wrote. I'm still thinking to myself "Don't get your hopes up. You'd thought he was gonna ask you a million times before already...he's not, so don't even think about it!" Next, he takes out a black box. I didn't know what it was (I mean, I did...but I couldn't believe what was going on!) I opened it.

I didn't even care about the ring (the poor guy...he wanted me to love the ring...and I was so shocked I hardly looked at it!)

When I finally realized he was asking me to marry I cried and said "yes!"

He's the first person in the world who has ever been able to REALLY surprise me--that's one way I knew he was right for me!

sorry back for the novel

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15614 - 07/30/03 12:02 PM
tnchawk

What a wonderful, romantic story. We should all be so lucky! ( Just kidding...my husband has his moments of romance; as rare as they are! )

--------------------

#15616 - 07/30/03 12:05 PM
jules

Aw!!! That's an awesome story! I love proposal stories! My first proposal was rather pathetic (I was going through the same line of thinking -- it is going to be tonight? this weekend?). We'd been dating for three and a half years, and I was starting to get really really impatient. I was asked to be his wife on a normal Saturday evening during half time of a football game. Horribly unromantic. I shoulda said no!

I'm really really hard to surprise also. I can always figure when something is up. Plus, bf doesn't take me out much any more because of my IBS. I'm really curious to see what he does! I'll let y'all know when that happens!

--------------------
~jules

#15617 - 07/30/03 12:07 PM
Snow for Sarala

Guys are all romantic in different ways. In the beginning guys want to impress us by being romantic. Once they "have us," many guys don't see the reason for it (logically). They don't understand that women want a flower that will die in a few days. We want them to go out and get it for us--taking care of us in a sense. They just don't get it--it doesnt' make sense to them. (Not ALL men, but many men). We really re from different planets! We're just so different!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15618 - 07/30/03 12:08 PM
Corinne

6 lbs, or so. I can't remember!!! Hee hee.

Actually they are both cuties! The baby of course is a sweetheart, but Les and Tanya are both really cute. And Les can SING!!! And play drums and piano. What more could you want. Who am I kidding my guy does all that and more!!!

Are you planning anything soon? We've got two (see pic) and that's enough for me.

--------------------

#15619 - 07/30/03 12:11 PM
Snow for Sarala

I'm SO GLAD you didn't marry that guy! It doesn't sound like you would've been to happy with him! Your guy now sounds awesome!

I remember when my parents tried to throw me a surprise birthday party. I was 12. I knew weeks in advance! I guess we're just really intuitive and feel these things comin', ya know? I bet your b/f plans for a while before he asks you...not just at the drop of a hat. I'm sure it will be SO special! (Not like the football game dodo brain!) I can't wait to hear how he asks you!

You deserve to be happy Jules! I truly hope your current man deserves you--you're very special!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15620 - 07/30/03 12:14 PM
Snow for Sarala

Awwww!

Adorable!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Can I add in my love story? new
      #15621 - 07/30/03 12:16 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

I never believed anyone when they said "You'll know". I was living in Vermont, dating a guy who lived in NJ (he has a ski house in VT) when I met my husband.

He (Wade) was friends with my sis (they met skydiving) and I met him at her wedding. (She had met her husband, Fabio (I am NOT kidding) thru skydiving, too, he is a pilot, she was a jumper). So any way, we had a connection at the wedding (Nov 98) but we were both dating other people. We exchanged e-mails and wrote back and forth for several months. Then started chatting on the phone. My sis loved him to death and actually planted the idea of getting together with him in my head, calling him her bro-in-law before we had even got together.

So, finally when Spring '99 arrived, NJ and I were still dating and decided to try skydiving as long as my sis and bro-in-law both worked at the drop zone. The night before we were to go, I had decided to end things with him (they were fizilling out anyway...ski season was over..lol) and get to know Wade better. (He was going to be at the drop zone the next day...I was more excited to see him than go skydiving!) So, me and NJ talked things over, peacefully ended the relationship, and still went to go jump the next day. On the way there, we were in seperate cars (cause he was headed back to NJ after) and I totally rear-ended him. An accident, I swear!! I was off dreaming about Wade and didn't notice a stop sign and plowed into him! What a way to end things!

Well, it ended up being to windy to jump that day, so NJ went on his way and Wade and I talked (face to face for the first time since my sis's wedding) for about 8 hours straight that night. When I looked into his eyes, I KNEW!

I did end up getting to skydive 2 weeks later with Wade, my sis and bro-in-law by my side (I have jumped 4 times total). Wade and I have been together since the day NJ left! We did the long distance thing for a year, never being able to spend more than 2 days together at a time (what tourture!), but never going a day without talking on the phone.

After falling head over heels, I had decided to move to MA to live with him.

Three weeks before I moved, we spent a week in Maine. It was the longest period of time we had ever spent with each other. Our first night there, he got down on one knee, at sunset, at a picture-perfect lighthouse/ocean setting and proposed. My offical answer was "Holy sh*t, oh my gosh....YES" He took me by comlete surprise! He had gone to my parents two months before to ask for their blessing...how cute is that! We were engaged July 2000 and got married Oct 6, 2001.

And by the way...I told my parents a week into the dating, that he was the one I would marry (of course my sis predicted it before we even started dating), we said I love you 2 weeks in, and the rest is history!

Sorry for the long winded account, but I love to share it. Isn't love great?

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

A love story by Me new
      #15623 - 07/30/03 12:21 PM
Corinne

I've got one for you then...

We met in highschool and I couldn't stand him as he was one of those geeky guys who always asked questions that confused the rest of us.

Anyway, we were both going to a Christmas party in our senior year and I didn't have a car so I asked for a ride. We chatted all evening and he drove me home. He escorted me into the house and asked ever so politely if he could kiss me. Of course I said yes. It was more like a brush on the lips but nice. He said he'd call.

Well, the next day we went out of town to my Grandma's for Christmas (this was Christmas Eve) and we didn't come back till New Year's day! I guess he called every day while we were gone. We finally hooked up on New Year's Day and went out for our first date on January 2nd 1989.

We knew we were meant for each by February and were already planning on moving in together when we graduated high school. Yeah did I mention we met Senior year in Highschool? I was 17 and he was 16.

Anyway, June we moved into an apartment (just after he turned 17) and lived together for four years. We were engaged on Valentine's Day 1990. We got married May 1993 and have been in happy wedded bliss ever since then. He was just 21 when we married and I am six months older than him. Now we have been married 10 years and have two kids and have moved four times. Wow. A lot can happen in 10 years!

It was a good idea at the time but I'm not sure I'd want my daughter doing that. For all of you following our Christian thread, no we weren't Christians then. That came much later.

Thanks for listening.

--------------------

#15624 - 07/30/03 12:21 PM
Josie

I am a lucky girl. My love brought me home flowers yesterday morning (he is a paramedic and works 24 hour shifts) and woke me up with them. I guess he is a rare breed!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#15640 - 07/30/03 12:52 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

My husband won't buy me flowers bacuase I complain they just die. I hate to have him spend the money on something that will die. I guess he should just get creative now. Actually he is more romantic than I am. I probable don't appreciate as much as I should and now he doesn't really try.

#15652 - 07/30/03 01:26 PM
Georgia

Reged: 07/06/03
Loc: Granite City, IL

I spent some time with my dad today. We hardly do much together, just the two of us and I really miss that because he's the best man I know and we laugh alot when we are together. I offered to take him to a doctor's appt and he said, "Sure." I love that guy!
BTW, this was a great idea, Jules!!!

#15664 - 07/30/03 02:05 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Today was my final day for my pre-tech anatomy class and I pulled an A out the course! Yay!!
It is a big confidence booster for me, since I'll be taking the real course Spring Semester.
Barb

#15665 - 07/30/03 02:05 PM
jules

That's so great that spending time with your dad was the best thing that happened to you today. My parents (mom and stepdad) are my friends. I'm really close with my family, and make it a point to talk nearly every day and get over to their house on the weekends.

--------------------
~jules

Re: ??Torbetta new
      #15666 - 07/30/03 02:11 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I tell my husband I want house plants or flowers to plant around the house instead of flowers that die. Our anniversary was July 6th and he told me wanted to go flower shopping with me - it still hasn't happened.
Now we are waiting until Fall to plant some trees.

#15668 - 07/30/03 02:19 PM
Snow for Sarala

YOU GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's AWESOME!

Bring out the champagne! (Low alcohol content and IBS safe, of course)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15669 - 07/30/03 02:21 PM
Snow for Sarala

I LOVE my family! I also talk to my fam several times a week...my mom and Grammy (grandma) especially! I thought I was the only 20-something that did! My fam and I are VERY close! It's the best!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Oh My Gosh Tears! new
      #15670 - 07/30/03 02:22 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Ok Michelle!

I have no kids and don't really know what Aspergers is (Sorry) but it sounds like you got the best teacher in the entire universe for Luke! Y'all are incredibly lucky!

That is so incredibly wonderful!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#15673 - 07/30/03 02:33 PM
Georgia

I have been blessed with 2 wonderful parents who have been my rock all of my life. I could never repay them for the way they have supported me and my son (we were on our own for 16 years). I can't imagine them not being there. I have the same with my three brothers (and one sister-in-law). They truly support me and I can go to them with anything and they will love me through it. My hubby and I live about 6 blocks from my folks so we are in touch alot and sometimes my mom can be a pain, but she's the first person I call when I need support and love. My dad is an amazing guy - full of love and life and instead of giving advice before you ask, he listens intently and supports you and if you ask for his opinion then he will offer it. I'm very blessed to have my family.

I'm happy you and your folks share a great bond. It's amazing how many people don't. To people who take the relationship for granted I will pass on this to them...My friends who have lost their parent(s) always tell me how lucky I am to have both of my parents and cherish them. I do.

#15675 - 07/30/03 02:35 PM
Georgia

CONGRATS Barbara!!!! That is an amazing feat!! I remember Anatomy/Physiology class when I went to Massage School - the names and so many of them!!

for Michelle new
      #15686 - 07/30/03 04:41 PM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Michele, I taught Kindergarten for eight years. My very first year a had a student with Asperger's. To this day, he is one of my very favorite students. He is going to be in eighth grade in the fall. Still, when I see him around town he gives me a big smile and a bear hug. He is now taller than I am. He had such a clever sense of humor even at 5 years of age. Of course, he often had to explain exactly why something he said was funny, before I actually got it. I remember that when I looked into his eyes, there seemed to be such a wise old soul inside. I can't quite explain it. We definately had our "negotiations", but I loved him through it. I just know that he won my heart and I will never forget him. I know your son's teacher will take good care of him. artist

#15689 - 07/30/03 05:04 PM
Trish

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Australia

I think I have found a doctor for Luke! He sounds wonderful, flexible and is not too far from my work! YAY!!!
That is something wonderful that has happened to me today!
Trish

Re: for Michelle new
      #15691 - 07/30/03 05:14 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Oh, I just love this - thank you! That's what I pray for Luke's teachers to see in him.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Where do I start? new
      #15723 - 07/30/03 11:47 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

- my son woke up after the crack of dawn
- I made it to work nice and early
- the kids were fairly well behaved
- there was room in the staffroom fridge for my lunch box without me having to spend 10 minutes re-arranging it
- I got out of the door without forgetting to take anything down to my car
-I didn't hit any red light all the way home (it's not that far but hey)
- my house was still tidy when I entered it (and I left before my husband and son so this was unexpected!)

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#15726 - 07/31/03 03:28 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I finally changed out my navel ring and got a pretty butterfly.

(It doesn't take much to amuse me. )

Re: Where do I start? new
      #15730 - 07/31/03 05:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

That's SO GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: ??Torbetta new
      #15732 - 07/31/03 05:37 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I had thought of that too but we don't have a lot of room for house plants. I also have a dumb cat with a death wish that eats them and I am not very good at keeping them alive.

#15743 - 07/31/03 07:06 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

KOOL! Congrats on the dog-bonding!! I decided to get a massage. Since my best friend manages a spa she got it for me as a happy treat (I have the greatest friends!!). An hour and a half it was HEAVEN. I don't have to tell you. Since she knew I had IBS-C she did a special ab massage which was wonderful, since she has it too!! Needless to say I am thinking about spoiling myself once a month with one of those. For those of you who haven't tried it. I highly recommend a deep tissue massage!!! HEAVEN HEAVEN HEAVEN. That is my happy story for the day.

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

#15744 - 07/31/03 07:11 AM
RLU

YEAH !!! I am so glad you had some good news!! I know that is a relief for you!!!

--------------------

#15745 - 07/31/03 07:18 AM
RLU

Jules - Ruchie -

You guys give me hope!!! It makes me smile to read these stories!!! I was in the same situation, but still looking

--------------------

#15748 - 07/31/03 07:30 AM
dlt647

Reged: 06/10/03
Loc: West Chester, PA

My fiance and I were talking on the phone yesterday. He thanked me for picking up his dry cleaning, then he said, "Actually, thank you for being you." It brought tears to my eyes.

#15751 - 07/31/03 07:48 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Ohhh, Michelle, I cried when I read your post. It sounds like Luke got the teacher that God intended for him to have, and I am so happy for you. Just the fact that this teacher called you ahead of time, set up an additional meeting with you, and asked tons of questions shows that she's really a compassionate person and is concerned about your son. She's also very organized if she said she likes things to be predictable, and from what I understand of Asperger's, that's what these kids need is routine, routine, routine. And her comment that she would "just love him and the rest would work itself out" indicates to me that she truly loves children and wants what's best for each of them---the true mark of an excellent teacher! I have worked as an inclusion teacher (went into the classroom to assist the regular teacher with those students with learning disabilities), and from what you are telling us, this is a great match for your son. Hats off to the school principal or headmaster who made the placement!
As a mother, I know how relieved you must be. We all want our kids to be liked, but especially when one has special needs, we pray and hope that others will have emphathy and love them as we do. It sounds like God has indeed answered your prayers for Luke. Thanks for sharing this with us. It's great news!

#15754 - 07/31/03 08:21 AM
BL

I'm a little late responding since I was so busy yesterday, but here goes. A young woman in my neighborhood called me and asked me if I would consider coming over to her house and helping her with decorating. She said she loved "the look" of my house and needed some help, but couldn't afford a decorator. I was honored that she would ask me. I went over there and had the greatest time. I know you may think I'm crazy, but I was having so much fun!!!!!! I was over there all afternoon, helping her select things and rearrange furniture. We went to Lowe's and Home Depot and picked out paint swatches and rugs, came home, tried them, and they looked great. We also went by Linens and Things and I gave her some ideas for colors she could use in her guest room and bathroom.
I ended up spending 5 hours with her, and I was in heaven! I had her pull out things out of her closets and cupboards, and I found a place for them. I felt like I was doing one of those interior redesign shoes for HGTV.
She had warned me that her husband was very picky and very opinionated. We had made so many changes that I was determined to be out of the house by the time he got home from work, just in case all the changes were too much for him, when yikes, he comes in the back door! (Just as all of the accessories were in place, thank goodness.) Caught in the act, what could I do but hope for the best?
I couldn't believe it, but he loved the rugs, the paint colors I had selected, the furniture arrangement, and the accessories I had added. He was amazed at what I had done, and kept saying, "Boy, you are good!" My friend was so happy that he was happy, and boy, what it did for my ego! Maybe I've missed my calling! I could do this everyday.

#15755 - 07/31/03 08:24 AM
Snow for Sarala

Beaglelover

That's totaly awesome! Maybe you could do this as aside job? Wish you could come help me with my place!!!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15759 - 07/31/03 08:35 AM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

This is going to sound corny,but i registered on here today,and have been browsing for hours and hours,its great!!I have heathers book,but the additional information and support that people have given,has really given me hope (as i sit here with a HUGE cup of mint tea to ease the pain!!) I really am not alone

--------------------
Morven

#15760 - 07/31/03 08:36 AM
Jennifer Rose

Loc: Fremont, CA

Well, I got to spend the evening hanging out with my mom and she helped me figure out how much money I'm going to need to take on my cruise next week! It felt SO relieved to finally get all that organized and taken care of. Now I can have a good time on my cruise without having to worry about being in debt when I get home!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#15761 - 07/31/03 08:38 AM
BL

Send me photos! I'm ready!

#15762 - 07/31/03 08:40 AM
Corinne

That's wonderful Trish! Praise God. Our prayers are working. Keep us informed and I'll keep praying.

Father God, thank you for this wonderful news of a doctor for Luke. It's an answer for our prayers. You are a wonderful God and we love and praise you. Uplift Trish and give her a peace as she deals with her son's condition. And Lord, if it's your will, heal this young man. He is one of your children and I know you have a plan for him. Thank you Father. In Jesus' name. Amen.

--------------------

#15763 - 07/31/03 08:41 AM
Snow for Sarala

Good for you!

Welcome to the board, great to have you here! It takes a lot of courage to join the boards....and you did it! Now go celebrate!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15764 - 07/31/03 08:44 AM
Morven

Thank you!! Yes i was a bit aprehensive about it,but am so glad i did,its been so helpful already,and i only joined this morning (its nearly 5pm here in Scotland,uk!)Am still getting to grips with it all,so i do apologise if i make any mistakes!!!

--------------------
Morven

#15765 - 07/31/03 08:44 AM
Corinne

Michelle, that's amazing! What great news. I am so relieved for you. I know that Luke will have a great year. Please keep us up on how he is doing. My prayers are with you. God has a plan for Luke and this is just one step on the road.

--------------------

Welcome, Morven! new
      #15767 - 07/31/03 08:54 AM
BL

Welcome! You certainly our not alone. We are glad you joined us. Looking forward to getting to know you better.
I'm sorry, but I don't recognize that first name as a man or woman. Tell us a little about yourself.

Trish new
      #15768 - 07/31/03 08:58 AM
BL

That's wonderful news, and definitely an answer to a prayer.

Re: Welcome, Morven! new
      #15770 - 07/31/03 09:03 AM
Morven

Thank you beaglelover!
Oops yeah,i guess you won't recognize it!Am female, from Scotland,in UK,its a celtic name means the sea in gaelic!there is also an island in the north west of scotland with the same name! Have recently moved back,was living in london for years,boy,am glad we are out of there!!Its nice to be home.I live with my fiancee,Keith,he's irish and very understanding about IBS! We are getting married August 2004.Have only recently booked the venue,so its all wedding,wedding,wedding! Start a new job on monday,and my tummy is cramping like crazy,its nerves,i know! Anyway,looking forward to getting to know everyone a bit better

--------------------
Morven

#15771 - 07/31/03 09:21 AM
BL

Oh, cool! I think it's so exciting to have these "pen pals" that are so many miles away. Although the miles separate us, we can talk about things we have in common, such as IBS.
Your life is so full right now. A new job, planning a wedding, no wonder your tummy is in distress!
Forgive me if you mentioned this, but I can't remember. Do you have IBS-C or IBS-D or a little of both? You will get lots of tips from reading past posts. Good luck and keep in touch.

#15776 - 07/31/03 09:36 AM
Morven

IBS-C was diagnosed about 5 years ago,but left to learn about IBS myself,as the medical profession don't seem to consider it a condition,something am sure many people have experienced.Was really bad last winter,stress etc,then i found the website,and ordered heathers book.Am slowly alternating my diet,i don't eat red meat etc anyway,so that made things bit easier.Its the dairy substitution i'm struggling with! Anyway,since moving back to scotland,nearer to the family etc,its made my attacks much less frequent.
Thank goodness for the internet!!

--------------------
Morven

#15805 - 07/31/03 11:46 AM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Thanks for this great thread!

My good thing: I woke up! I have a brand new day! Yesterday was really crummy and full of anxiety but, thank God, His mercies are new every morning! I even had a great phone call, unexpectedly, with a gentleman at church who was given my name as a potential employee! Get to talk with him next week! God is good, all the time, no matter what things look like!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#15806 - 07/31/03 11:49 AM
KaybeeC

Praise God, who delights in His children! What a blessing this teacher sounds like - and I'm sure she'll be blessed by dear little Luke!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#15809 - 07/31/03 12:12 PM
jules

Welcome Morven!! I think that you'll find this place to be incredibly helpful, friendly, and a place to join with other people who understand EXACTLY what you're going through.

Post lots!!

--------------------
~jules

#15818 - 07/31/03 12:57 PM
RLU

Welcome Morven!! We are glad to have you. I am IBS-C as well and can sympathize with you. Stress is my main trigger as well, job has me in fits right now. Anyway it is really cool to chat with someone in Scotland. Good friend of mine is over there right now working. I hear all kinds of wonderful things about your lovely country. Looking forward to chatting on the board!!!

--------------------

#15819 - 07/31/03 12:59 PM
RLU

Trish -- Congrats and I second Corrine's prayer!!! We are in agreement. God is in control!!!

--------------------

Re: Can I add in my love story? new
      #15822 - 07/31/03 01:05 PM
RLU

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!! I can listen to those stories all day. I'm a hopeless romantic, still a single one but hopeful. What a great story and Skydiving too? I would have a heartattack!!!LOL

--------------------

RLU, I used to live in Picayune - jr hi - great friends! - nt new
      #15829 - 07/31/03 01:40 PM
KaybeeC

I know where Picayune is! Used to live in Mandeville, La. --nt- new
      #15853 - 07/31/03 04:27 PM
BL

#15874 - 08/01/03 02:42 AM
Morven

Thanks RLU!
Its so good to have the boards,was aprehensive at joing at first,but am sooooo glad i have.Have learnt so much already!
I am bias but yes,scotland is gorgeous,i really missed it when i was living in london,makes you appreciate things more when you are away from them.So glad to be back now

--------------------
Morven

#15875 - 08/01/03 02:53 AM
Morven

Thanks Jules,

Am so glad i joined the boards already! Its great! Such a good feeling to know you have people that totally understand what your going through!

--------------------
Morven

Re: RLU, I used to live in Picayune - jr hi - great friends! - nt new
      #15899 - 08/01/03 06:58 AM
RLU

COOL! An old college mate buddy of mine lives there now. I know where Picayune is!!!

--------------------

Re: I know where Picayune is! Used to live in Mandeville, La. --nt- new
      #15901 - 08/01/03 06:59 AM
RLU

This is cool having people know this part of the country!!!

--------------------

Re: A love story by Me new
      #15902 - 08/01/03 07:03 AM
RLU

GREAT STORY!!!! I love these romance stories.

--------------------

#15923 - 08/01/03 08:52 AM
Ashley62

Loc: Eastern Ontario, Canada

I work for a great company that allows for flex hours (I work 75 hours in 9 days & get every second Friday off!) - as a working Mom this is a lifesaver! Today is my day off, but I'm at work as there are several people on vacation. I will be leaving soon, but the great thing is, I don't mind! I have the flexibility to take the extra time whenever I want.
Also, I'm meeting 2 girlfriends for lunch - we worked together years ago and have recently reconnected. My friend is making Squash soup for me as I have explained IBS to her - what could be better than a friend like that? Aside from all of you guys!!
Have a great weekend - it's a long weekend in Canda!

--------------------
Leah
"Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul"

Re: Skydiving new
      #16000 - 08/01/03 12:50 PM
Josie

You know, I never would have thought that I would have the guts (haha no pun intended) to jump from 2 miles up, but what an amazing experience. As soon as the door on the plane opened, it was he most beautiful thing. I did my first jump tandem (with the owner of the drop zone attached to my back) at sunset. We exited the plane with a sommersault, then did a back flip into a sit dive, then into the typical arch position at 120 mph. What a rush! I did the jump in VT and once the canopy opened, it was so peaceful. So quiet and the view of the mountains, Lake Champlain and New York were breath taking. I had it videotaped and the look on my face was priceless! It is such an amazing thing to do, and it is something I can cross it off my list of "things to do before I die". Anyone else every tried skydiving?

--------------------

Re: I know where Picayune is! Used to live in Mandeville, La. --nt- new
      #16078 - 08/02/03 04:49 PM
KaybeeC

We moved to Picayune in the early '60s (yeah, I'm old!) when my dad worked at a NASA test site. I was in 7th grade and everyone teasingly called me "yankee" since I was from Ohio. I was SO homesick, but I made some wonderful friends. Then, of course, my dad got transferred back to Ohio - and I was even MORE homesick for Picayune! The only thing I didn't really care for was having red beans & rice, sausage and a side of cling peaches for lunch at least once a week! We made lots of trips to Hattiesburg and New Orleans while we were there. Hurricane season wasn't too much fun, though, for a midwestern girl - very scary! I think this was in 1964, and a hurricane was coming thru so Dad packed us all up and we drove to Jackson - and found a tornado waiting THERE, so we just turned around and drove back! Anyway, it's fun to reminisce!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#16086 - 08/02/03 06:33 PM
Essence

Reged: 03/20/03

Today I made a fantastic fresh strawberry/blueberry whipped cream, cream cheese, sour cream, homemade crust pie... and it's great !!

Evie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 393 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39492

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review