All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
And here I thought... new
      #155688 - 03/02/05 07:22 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...it was all the drugs/partying I did as a teenager. :P

Seriously, though, it DOES make sense. And it's scary. Because I've ALWAYS been forgetful and it gets worse every year... I can just imagine what I'm going to be like 10 years from now. Yikes.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

So, Nelly... new
      #155697 - 03/02/05 07:33 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

are you going to still try the ambien or avoid it? I'm not sure what is safest to take now!

I do need my sleep! But now I'm afraid of everything! Maybe I should just try sticking to herbs that Ruchie mentioned?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Btw guys new
      #155701 - 03/02/05 07:37 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It might be coincidence (toom much going on) but I've been sleeping LOADS better since starting the Valerian. I'm not even sure I've been on it long enough to get the full effect...is that a factor with this does anyone know? And I thought herbs would have no effect on me! Admittedly, I was checking all the sleepy-herb-combinations labels and the one I picked had way more valerian than some of them...up to ten times as much. Maybe that's why it's never seemed to have worked before!

Nelly, don't give me something else to worry about! new
      #155702 - 03/02/05 07:39 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Gosh, I guess if the doctors don't find some relief for my back pain soon my brain's just gonna shrivel up to nothing! Since this has been going on for a year, I should be a vegetable soon!

Do you take ambien, mindyj?-nt new
      #155722 - 03/02/05 08:23 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Linz, is Valerian ... new
      #155723 - 03/02/05 08:25 AM
Augie

the only med you take for sleep and/or anxiety?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Linz, is Valerian ... new
      #155726 - 03/02/05 08:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well I take amitriptyline as well which is supposed to help me sleep but doesn't seem to help much in that department. I also take a "full" dose of Celexa to control my Fibro and prevent my depression coming back (they're a bit inter-linked so it's complicated).

Re: Is Ambien addicting? new
      #155833 - 03/02/05 11:04 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Its great to hear everyone expierences about the different meds!!! Its funny how the same drug can affect two people so differently! As some of you may already know, I was a drug addict. I had a serious addiction to coke and meth for several years. I have been clean now for 8 years. I KNOW I have an addictive personality and have to be especially careful with medications for this reason.

On a regular basis, I take Zoloft, for depression/anxiety. I have been on Wellbutrin, Prozax and Lexapro as well. Personally, I liked the Lexapro the best but since I'm trying to make a baby they switched me back to a low dose of 50mg of Zoloft. A year ago when I tried to stop the Lexapro, I really would prefer not to take any AD while pregnant, I had a horrible time. The physical side effects, shaking, dizzy, headaches, inability to concentrate, etc, lasted about 3 weeks. I went another 3 weeks after that before I broke down and went back to the dr. It was awful. I was miserable. I could hardley get out of bed. I cried all the time. I couldn't deal with anything. I had thoughts of sucide. I truely believe that some people, myslef included, have some sort of chemical imbalance that requires medication. So, I've pretty much resigned myself to being on some sort of AD probably forever.

This last year has been so physically and emotionally terrible for me, I've started having frequent panick attacks, racing heart, shaking hands and just plain TENSE, VERY TENSE. This is why my dr has prescribed me Xanax. Its the lowest dose, 25mg. I don't take it every day. I take it only when needed. I did have a bad week a couple of weeks ago with a bad pain IBS attack and did take it pretty much every day for a week and when I felt better, I just stopped taking it, without any problems. I haven't had one now in several days and I'm doing fine.

The Vicodin is prescribed to me for these pain IBS attacks and again, is taken just when needed. Same thing, I took those several times a day for over a week and again, haven't had one in several days now. So, I think it is possible, if used responsibily, that these types of drugs do have their place. Even for people who have had addiction issues in the past. I am well aware that I have to be very careful, much more so than maybe the "average" person because of my addictions in the past. But, I also feel the benefits I get from the occasional use of these drugs is well worth the risk.

As for the Ambien, I haven't noticed any changes in my memory or other negative effects. I feel this drug has been very effective in treating my insomnia. I will ween myself of in another month or so when I'm done with all my fertility testing and am actually trying to get pregnant. I've been told to expect some "rebound" insomina at first but hopefully I won't expierence anything worse than that! I'll have to keep you posted on that in the next couple of months!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: This makes total sense to me! new
      #155957 - 03/02/05 02:49 PM
Stonegate

Reged: 06/30/04
Loc: Lawrence, Kansas

No wonder I'm so stupid!

--------------------
Sometimes I walk backwards to see where I have been!

Re: Nelly girl.... new
      #156091 - 03/02/05 07:43 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I really like you Nelly, so many times you really crack me up!

My sister is like you, if there is a tiny obscure reaction to anything, it will hit her hard. I've seen her running around her house with her arms flailing in the air from some medication years ago. I felt so sorry for her at the time, now I make fun of her for it. We laugh.

I had to share both of those stories on addiction, I never in my wildest dreams would have though that ME, I, MYSELF would be the type of person to fight an addiction. Hey, it happens to the best of us!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 424 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26115

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review