All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Rhonda new
      #15450 - 07/29/03 03:00 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

A Southern gal, I see. I moved to Charlotte from Baton Rouge. I feel like I'm way "up north" here. This is the furthest north I've ever lived! I've been through Jackson many times. Much cooler here, although all the transplanted Northeasterners complain about the heat all the time and it just cracks me up. They don't know what humid weather is like. They need to visit New Orleans in the summertime.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: it IS hot up here!! new
      #15487 - 07/29/03 09:17 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Hey--I am a Northeasterner (grew up in Vermont and now live near Boston) and I think that if you start sweating when you step out of the shower and feel like you need to take another one, that qualifies as hot and humid! Given I have never been to New Orleans in the summer, It doesn't sound like I want to...I hate the humidity and don't understand the people who thrive on it!

I am not saying that 40 degrees below zero wind chill and 4 feet of snow is fun (winter in Vermont...not for the faint of heart!!) but somewhere in the middle is perfect for me!

Have you traveled "way up here" ? I have driven down the east coast to Florida, but never visited much of the south. I imagine its kinda like two different countries...but would love to hear from someone who has lived in New England and down south...

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

Re: it IS hot up here!! new
      #15506 - 07/30/03 06:13 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Sorry, didn't mean to offend all the Northeasterners! It's just that since I moved to Charlotte, that's all I hear from them is the whining about how hot the weather is. When you're outside in the summertime at noon watering your flowers and you're not even sweating and there's a breeze, heck, that would be considered "fall" weather to me! I've been in south Louisiana and Texas too many years. I didn't even own a coat there and only had two sweaters that I had only worn a couple of times. We used to go to the LSU football games in the fall, and by the time we walked from our car to the stadium, my clothes, including my underwear, would be drenched in sweat, my hair would be wet, and forget the makeup, it was running down my face! Here I don't have to change clothes 3 times a day in the summertime.
I have never been "up North," but would love to and probably will as soon as I get my boys out of high school in several years. I know I couldn't stand the winters there. I about died this past winter here, when we had a huge ice storm and lost our electricity for 4 days. I had never been so COLD in all of my life! Brrrr! Four inches of snow was a lot for me, so no, four feet, I know I couldn't handle. My son won't even consider the universities in the northern part of North Carolina because he says it's too cold there. So I guess we're wimps when it comes to the cold weather. It's just whatever you're used to.

a New Englander's perspective on weather new
      #15510 - 07/30/03 06:31 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

I am a born and bred New Englander (Massachusetts)! Just to let everyone know... that is what we do- complain about the weather! It is like a sport, a pastime. We are never happy. When it is hot we complain, when it is cold we complain. We wait all the VERY long, dark, COLD winter for warmth and sun to arrive. When it does, we complain it is too hot. No kidding. The reason is, the temperature changes are so dramatic here from one season to the next. Our winter can be 10 degrees below zero and our summer can be 100 degrees. By the time our bodies ajust to the heat, IT IS COLD AGAIN. So... we complain. The weather is a constant topic of conversation, mostly because it is so unpredictable. But when the planets align and all is right in the universe, we have the perfect day. No one appreciates and savors this more than a New Englander. I would never live anywhere else! artist

Re: Rhonda new
      #15521 - 07/30/03 07:01 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

Hey beaglelover!!! I see your a southern belle too and you better post that pic!!!! I have family in Kenner/Metarie so I am in New Orleans all the time. You don't know what heat is until you've been in New Orleeans in the summertime. By the way I read you are a writer, so I am. Currently taking a course with the Institute of Children's Lit. We'll have to talk shop sometime!!

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

Re: Beautiful photos Rhonda! -nt- new
      #15522 - 07/30/03 07:03 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

Thanks so much!!! Glad to start putting faces with everyone on the board!!! We have to get beaglelover and Artist on here too!!

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

Re: Rhonda new
      #15535 - 07/30/03 07:53 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Are you writing and Children's book? I taught kindergarten this year!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: RUCHIE -- POST A PIC new
      #15541 - 07/30/03 08:26 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

It was a great surprise to see your picture up - finally! You look great although for some reason I pictured you as a blonde - you know how you imagine people from what they sound like or in our case, what you post like.
It'll be lovely now to know who I'm chatting with - are you feeling better today? Did you get to Macy's, and what did you get?

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#15545 - 07/30/03 08:55 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I actually do have blonde hair...dark blonde. When I was a babe I had platinum blonde hair...it got darker as I got older! So you weren't far off!

I made it Macy's after taking the Pepto. I couldn't decide on what I wanted, so I'm gonna keep looking! I'll let you know when I find what I'm looking for...it's very exciting! I had no idea my hubby wanted to buy a piece of jewelry for our 1 year anniversary...I'm very excited!

Thanks for asking! How are you doing? I bet good with your Florida vaca coming up!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15549 - 07/30/03 09:05 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Can't wait!
My husband has taken this week off as well so we're taking our time getting everything ready. He has 4 weeks off work in total which he needs because he NEVER takes his time off and is really exhausted. We keep panicking about how much money to bring though and changing more into dollars - what the heck, we want to enjoy ourselves, we'll worry about the debts afterwards

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 501 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10703

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review