All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
BOOK LIST
      #15158 - 07/28/03 05:37 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Ok gang, I figure that many of us here like to read, and actually may get a lot of reading time do to the fact that we've been handed a lifetime bathroom sentence.

I think that we should start a thread of good books that we've read. I absolutely LOVE reading and probably read a book a week.

Now we just need a clever name....any ideas anyone?

Welcome to Temptation -- Jennifer Cruise
Faking It -- Jennifer Cruise
Fast Women -- Jennifer Cruise
Man and Boy -- Tony Parsons
The Lovely Bones -- Alice Seabold (you'll bawl your eyes out)
The Pact -- Jodi Picoult
The Last Precinct -- Patricia Cornwell

Some of those are not new, but I don't buy books regularly (I steal them from my parents house!)

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: BOOK LIST new
      #15161 - 07/28/03 06:14 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Ok, I admit it. My name is Ruchie and I'm...addicted to reading...Shakespeare!

I also enjoyed:

Who Will Run The Frog Hospital by Lori Moore

Setting Limits in the Classroom by Robert J. Mackenzie (gotta read if you're a teacher!)

The Chocolate Wars by Robert Cormier

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Annie John by Jamaica Kinkaid

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert O'Brien

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Ok, so I'm a Brit Lit. junkie! (Leave me alone, I'm a lit. major, ok!)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15168 - 07/28/03 07:28 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

This is a great idea Jules! A couple of years ago I started keeping track on my computer of good books since people are always asking me if I've read anything good lately. Here's my list- hope people find something they enjoy on it. Linda

-The River King by Alice Hoffman
-Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman
-The Madness of a seduced woman by Susan fromberg Shaffer
-The color of water
-The Joy luck club by Amy tan
-The kitchen god's wife by Amy tan
-Ellen Foster
-Charms for an Easy Life
-Cold Sassy Tree-
- The church series by Susan Howatch including glittering images, glamorous powers, etc.
- - The World's oldest living confederate widow tells all
- -The oracle glass
- -Stones from the River
- Brother wind, sister sky( and all books for Sue Harrison, there are 2 trilogies)
- -Little Alters everywhere
- The divine secrets of the ya-ya sisterhood
- Plainsong
- Waiting
- A walk to remember
- Tara Road
- Lonesome Dove
- The bean trees
- The Poisonwood bible
- Outlaw by Warren Kiefer
- Black and Blue by Anna Quindlin
- One true thing by same
- The Most wanted by jaqueline Mitchard
- The Deep end of the Ocean by Jacqueline Mitchard
- White Oleander
- Snow Falling on Cedars
- Horse Whisperer
- Fiona Range
- Scarlet Feather by Maeve Binchey
- Back Roads by Tawni O'dell
- Range of Motion by Elizabeth Berg
- Open House by Elizabeth Berg
- Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
- The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve
- Cane River by Lalita Tademy
- The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan
- Disobediance by jane Hamilton
- The Book of Ruth by same
- A map of the World by same
- A Painted House by John Grisham
- A bend in the road by Nicholas Sparks
- Swift as Desire by Laura Esquival
- Buffalo Soldier by Chris Bohjalian
- The Sweet Hereafter
- Back when we were grownups-Anne Tyler
- Daughter of Fortune- Isabel Allende
- Portrait in Sepia (sequel to daughter of fortune)
- Sacred Ground by Barbara Wood -will make you want to trace your family tree back to your ancestors.
- Blue Diary- Alice Hoffman. - Very Engrossing- what happens when a woman discovers her husband is not at all the man she thought he was.

Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio- a coming of age story with a twist. The main character is a young girl with Tourette's syndrome. A funny, touching, and ultimately inspirational story.

-The other Boleyn Girl- Philippa Gregory -great historical fiction!
A dream of Wolves- Michael C. White Very touching story about an ME's involvement in a murder case, when he volunteers to take the baby of the accused.
A Brother's Blood- Michael C White
The Blind side of the heart- Michael C. White- couldn't put this book down!

Quentin's- Mave Binchy
The dive from Clausen's Pier- Ann Packer- very poignant! Asks the question: how much do we owe the people we love?
Standing in the Rainbow-Fannie Flagg- a nostalgic, funny and touching portrait of a small town with lots of quirky characters.
The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan- a fascinating look at Ancient India, the story of an emperor and the woman who enchanted him. Great historical fiction!
The Secret Life of Bees- by Sue Monk Kidd. Very touching and lovely-one of the best books I've read in a long time.
Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult. A compelling novel about a young girl who claims she talks to God .
Looking for Mary Gabriel- Carole Lawrence. Very touching story of two sisters, one mentally ill, and how the illness affects both their lives.
Plain Truth-Jodi Picoult- very engrossing story of the trial of a young Amish girl accused of murdering her newborn. SO much more than a mystery.
The Pact- by Jodi Picoult. Asks the question, how well do we really know those we love, and how far would we go to help them?
Sweetwater-Roxana Robinson
Perfect Match- Jodi Picoult-couldn't put this one down!

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#15169 - 07/28/03 07:31 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Linda,
My jaw dropped when I saw your list. I was thinking, she typed all that? How did she remember all the titles and authors? Then I read the first paragraph. Good idea keeping it on your computer.

#15216 - 07/28/03 12:06 PM
berky

Hi Torbetta- Yes, believe me, if I didn't type the title on the computer right after reading the book, I would NEVER have remembered all those titles, even on my best day! Hope you find some you like. Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#15266 - 07/28/03 05:05 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Good idea, Jules! I love to read! Honestly, I'm not too into mystery/creepy books...I read a Dean Koontz or John Saul every once in awhile and that usually lasts me a couple of years. I did read The Lovely Bones and that kinda weirded me out & gave me strange dreams - but I still liked it.

Here's what I came up with real quick:

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon - Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, and The Fiery Cross (These books are my absolute favorites in the whole wide world! I've actually read them more than once. )

Jemima J - Jane Green

Mr. Maybe - Jane Green

Last Chance Saloon - Marian Keyes

Summer Sisters - Judy Blume

Wifey - Judy Blume

Thursdays at Eight - Debbie Macomber

Summerhouse - Jude Deveraux

*Diary of a Mad Bride - Laura Wolf

*Wild Girls Club: Tales from Below the Belt - Anka Radakovich

* I think these two books may have been the funniest I've ever read.

She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb

Nanny Diaries - Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus

The Dive from Clausen's Pier - Ann Packer

The Woman Next Door - Barbara Delinsky

#15280 - 07/28/03 05:34 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I have to tell you I am reading a good series called the Mark of the Lion by Francine Rivers. I am half way through the first book, A voice in the Wind. It is really good. I told my husband I thought he would like it too.

#15313 - 07/29/03 12:51 AM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Great idea to share favorite books. If you haven't (I mean ALL of you) read Tuesdays With Morrie, you have to. It is a super quick read (an hour or two) but gives so many lessons in such a sweet story. I literally laughed out loud and cried at times. It is worth reading twice, to truly appreciate the lesson you can learn from it.

I read a lot of mystery/forensic science stuff, but am horrible at remembering titles. Archer Mayor has a great series going about a detective in Vermont (my homestate) that I love. I also love the "Kay Scarpetta" (forensic medical examiner)series by Patricia Cornwell.

I have been super lazy about reading and think it would be great to get going again. Considering (as Jules said) we have infinite quiet time in the bathroom...we could simply be the Bathroom Readers Book Club!

Well, I look forward to trying some of your suggestions!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

Re: This is such a fantastic idea! new
      #15315 - 07/29/03 01:26 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I absolutely love reading and my house is just about wallpapered with books. I can't bear to get rid of them so just buy more bookshelves!

I haven't got much time to make out a list right now but will do so tomorrow. I love all kinds of books from romance to thrillers.

I will also be checking out all the books you guys have listed.

Right now I'm reading Harry Potter number five. I read the first one with a class of mine a couple of years back and have been hooked ever since.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: This is such a fantastic idea! new
      #15328 - 07/29/03 04:36 AM
berky

HI! I LOVE the Harry Potter series as well- I read the first 3 to my students this year and they were so into it, I even heard them debating the true identity of Sirius Black on the city bus while on a field trip! That was definitely the highlight of my teaching this year!!

--------------------

#15355 - 07/29/03 07:11 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I love to read as well...some of my latest favorites ( they change often) are:

The Mists of Avalon- MArion Zimmer-Bradley ( Far better than the made for TV movie)
Shopaholic Takes Manhattan & Shopaholic Ties the Knot-Sophie Kinsella
All of the Gunslinger series books-Stephen King
The Stand- Stephen King
...I am sure that there are more. I have read so many, it is hard to remember!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#15371 - 07/29/03 09:38 AM
*Melissa*

I just remembered another one I forgot: Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas - James Patterson. This one's a real tear jerker.

Oh, and of course the Uncle John's Bathroom Readers!

#15377 - 07/29/03 09:53 AM
Georgia

Reged: 07/06/03
Loc: Granite City, IL

Hi Jules - I agree with everyone else. I think sharing reading ideas is a great idea. I love to read, but am a slow reader. I've even been thinking about joining Oprah's book club. I'm at a point in my life where I'm changing careers and trying to decide what to do and saw Jane Stern on the Today Show. She recently wrote Ambulance Girl and I love the book. It is a quick read for me, very entertaining with a lot of life thoughts. Has anyone read any of the Conversations With God books? My girlfriend said they are wonderfully inspiring.

#15578 - 07/30/03 10:31 AM
jules

The Stephanie Plumb series by Janet Evanovich -- a MUST read! There are now eight books in the series and I think that I read them all in two weeks!

--------------------
~jules

#15586 - 07/30/03 10:37 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

What type of books are these? Tell me why I must read it I'm always looking for something new to read!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15592 - 07/30/03 10:43 AM
jules

Romantic Comedy, so so funny!!!

Check this out: http://www.evanovich.com/

I guess that No. 9 is out! Woo hoo!

--------------------
~jules

#16102 - 08/02/03 09:55 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Okay, don't even get me started about my favorite books, I have FOUR lists on my computer (children's picture books, children's novels, young adult novels, and adult novels--I've been keeping the lists since I was eleven)! But since I'm at my boyfriend's computer I'll just list a few from memory.

Very special books:
Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney is my favorite children's picture book. Actually, I like anything by Barbara Cooney.

The Animal Family by Randall Jarrell is a very special good-for-any-age book.

The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery is my favorite book overall. I've read it so many times I actually have portions of it memorized. The author also wrote Anne of Green Gables, but The Blue Castle isn't really a children's novel--you'll see if you read it--it's about making life choices and about marriage. (For that matter, so are the later Anne books.)

A book I just saw in the bookstore so the title is fresh in my mind is Family by J. California Cooper. She follows several generations of an African-American family from slavery to the present.

If you like fantasy, and you don't mind books that are a leeetle bit silly, Barbara Hambly has some good stuff. Some of it is out of print but available for cheap (like 75 cents) from half.com One trilogy is The Ladies of Mandrigyn/The Witches of Wenshar/The Dark Hand of Magic, and another (that happens to contain *five* books) is The Time of the Dark/The Walls of Air/The Armies of Daylight/Mother of Winter (which I'm currently reading)/Icefalcon's Quest.

There's a very interesting trilogy about the life of Josephine Bonaparte that I began reading this summer. The first book is The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. by Sandra Gulland.

I LOVE the Harry Potter books--I own all five in hardcover!

John Marsden writes for teenagers but I haven't let that stop me even though I'm no longer one. His Tomorrow, When the War Began series is probably most famous--its premise is that a group of Australian teenagers are camping in the bush over their school holidays when the country is invaded and its citizens imprisoned, and they return home only to discover that they, as the only free residents of their hometown, must singlehandedly fight the invaders. Marsden's writing can be downright awful but his plots are always so original that his books are still worth reading. Other good ones *not* in the Tomorrow... series include Letters from the Inside, Checkers, and Winter (which I just finished this morning).

Ruchie, you're not completely nuts (unless you've read this far down my post!)--I like Hamlet, and I'm trying to read The Taming of the Shrew and Othello, and I can't wait to go see Romeo and Juliet in Centennial Park later this month.

I read Wuthering Heights in school and it was pretty good. I read Jane Eyre on a friend's recommendation and it was even better. Now I've just bought The Tenant of Wildfell Hall so I'll have covered all three Bronte sisters.

The Haunting of Lamb House by Joan Aiken is funny and clever.

I liked Walking West by Noelle Sickels--it's an Oregon Trail novel that is *not* romantic or glorified in any way.

Okay, I'm going to be quiet now before I REALLY annoy anyone. Seriously, though, if folks want book suggestions in almost any genre, e-mail me and I'll see what I can come up with, okay? (I love doing stuff like that--should've been a librarian.) I'm especially good with children's books--already took some into my classroom--and I've got infants!

#16114 - 08/02/03 11:29 PM
CarmenP

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia

TessLouise, I think you and I may both have a passion for childrens picture books. I am a pre school teacher and have a huge library of favourite books. One of my latest favourites is called Diary of a Wombat by an Australian author called Jackie French. A great book. I love everything by Mem Fox as well (another Aussie author). I too have all the Harry Potter books and am currently reading the 5th book. I love Anne Rice's books (Vampire Chronicles). Also Matthew Reilly (another Aussie). Great action books.

#16122 - 08/03/03 08:17 AM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Hi Jules
Am also a big reading fan! And am currently reading Harry Potter too!
This is a great,its given me some ideas of other books to delve into!
My fave has to be...Lord of the Rings trilogy (was a fan even before the films were made!!) I love Tolkien
Patricia Cornwell,John Grisham,and a scottish writer called Ian Rankin are among my faves!
Nothing like a cup of tea(herbal of course!) and a good book.

--------------------
Morven

#16136 - 08/03/03 09:46 AM
berky

Hi Tess Louise! I am trying to get a job as an elementary school librarian, and it sounds like you have lots of great book suggestions. Would you mind forwarding the list to me? I'd really appreciate it- if I get a job for this year, it will help a lot with book ordering to have some ideas handy. Thanks! Linda

--------------------

#16140 - 08/03/03 10:12 AM
Fia

Reged: 07/21/03
Loc: Sweden

I've got som good books if you like the Kay Scarpetta and Stephany Plum series.

Sue Grafton - Female private detective Kinsey Millhone (about 15 books and more to come)Really good!

Sparkle Hayter - executive producer/reporter Robin Hudson (really funny - everyone must read them!)

Kathy Reichs - Tempe Brennan forensic antropologist (?) much better than Patricia Cornwell!!

Diane Mott Davidson - Goldy Bear is a crime solving caterer,
the recipies are really yummy bot not for IBS patients - but
if you can't eat it read it! Also really good!

Carol O'Conell - about Criminal Investigator Kathy Mallory. Very good but different and scary. I especially liked "Killing Critics".

Elizabeth George - Adam Lynley and Barbra Harvers at Scotland Yard solves crimes. The earlier books are the best, the latest one was boring.

Liza Cody - there is two series Anna Lee and Eva Wylie and I like them both.

Minette Walters - a bit uneven some books are good but not brilliant.

And then there is two Norwegian crime authors Anne Holt and Karin Fossum but in not sure if they are translated to english. But its really worth a try to find out!

And you who have children read about "the family Moomintroll" by Tove Jansson, they are just magic! Just $5.95 at Amazon.com. And then you should read something by Astrid Lindgren.

And Mags; have you read Angels by Maryan Keyes? Really good!

Have anyone heard about www.bookcrossing.com its a reallt nice idea.

Fia

By the way I must say that I really liked my new slogan "if you can't eat it, read it"! It makes it feel a little better to see all the cookbooks with BAD food that I have in my kitchen. It's like beeing married - you can look but you can't touch (or taste). I'm going to be faithful to my diet!

#16143 - 08/03/03 10:43 AM
*Melissa*

Yes, I've read Angels. I've also read Watermelon. I still have to read Rachel's Holiday. (Each book is about a different sister, in case you didn't already know.) So far, I've liked the two I've read.

#16152 - 08/03/03 12:49 PM
Fia

I've read all books, Rachels holiday was good but Sushi for beginners was even better!

#16156 - 08/03/03 01:18 PM
*Melissa*

Ooh! I have that one on my list too! (I have a big list of to reads! ) That and Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married. Have you read that one?

Once I read a book I liked by an author, I usually go add the rest I can find by them on my list.

#16178 - 08/04/03 03:07 AM
Fia

Yes, I've read it and i liked it!

I must add two good books to the list:

Kate Atkinson - Human Croquet and Behind the Scenes at the Museum ( a bit strange but good)

#16220 - 08/04/03 01:55 PM
vcarson

Reged: 06/23/03
Loc: Alabama

My favorites are:
All time favorite: To Kill a Mockingbird

Of Mice and Men
The Poisonwood Bible (couldn't put it down last summer)
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

I just finished In the PResence Of My Enemies by Gracia Bernham. A MUST read!

#16658 - 08/07/03 08:18 PM
Tim G

Reged: 08/07/03
Loc: NSW, Australia

I am a real fantasy fiction fan, so much so that in Feb this year I took the plunge and started to write my own book.

I guess the greatest inspirations for me (and they're not to everyone's taste I know) are Raymond E Feist and Tolkien, though I also have a bit of a dark side and occasionally venture into Stephen King and Simon Clark territory.

Favourite books are probably:

1. Magician, Raymond E Feist
2. Lord of the Rings, Tolkien
3. The Talisman, Stephen King & Peter Straub
4. The Stand, Stephen King
5. Dark Rivers of the Heart, Dean Koontz
6. Gideon, Steven Laws

The following are my most recent reads, and all good reads for a bit of mindless escapism:

Shadow of a Dark Queen
Rise of a Merchant Prince
Rage of a Demon King
Shards of a Broken Crown

The aforementioned are all by Raymond E Feist (I am working my way through his entire collection!!).

--------------------
Tim

-A poor man's Jamie Oliver...without the attitude!

#16659 - 08/07/03 08:22 PM
Tim G

Reged: 08/07/03
Loc: NSW, Australia

I was taking a look at a local site a few minutes ago and found the most outrageously titled book...

'The day my bum went psycho' http://www.leadingedgebooks.com.au/featuredbook1.asp?storeurl=leadingedge&bookid=0330362925

It's a kids book, and I haven't read it but the title tickled me as somewhat ironic considering this is something I seem to encounter on a daily basis!!

--------------------
Tim

-A poor man's Jamie Oliver...without the attitude!

#16778 - 08/09/03 06:50 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

I love to read, it's my favorite past time. Recent books read: All of "Sandra Brown"
All "Stephen KIng"
All "V.C.Andrews"
All "Danielle Steele"
John Saul-Second Child, Suffer the Children,Punish the Sinners... plus others
Nora Roberts- to name a few- HOt Ice, Hidden Richs, The Reef, Three Fates, Three Sisters Island Trilogy, The Gallaghers of Ardmored Trilogy, The Born in Trilogy, The Cheseapeake Bay Trilogy, The Dream Trilogy, and more
Just came across this writer;Luanne Rice-Safe Harbor,Follow the Star HOme, just reading;True Blue and then Dream Country.
I read what ever the Public LIbrary has to offer plus a few I buy.

#16853 - 08/09/03 08:47 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I'm just going to offer up a few that I've read/reread lately:

The Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Winner of the Booker prize this year. I'm halfway through it, so I can't give you an overall opinion.

White Noise - Don DeLillo
Read in this in college under the category of 'postmodern literature.' Don't let that scare you off though -- it's probably one of the more quotable books that I've read.

Eunoia - Christian Bok
This is more poetry than prose -- five chapters, one for each vowel, and in each only that vowel is used without ever using the letter 'y'. Very interesting, and reads quite well despite the imposed limitations.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 589 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10949

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review