Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: BOOK LIST new
      #15355 - 07/29/03 07:11 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I love to read as well...some of my latest favorites ( they change often) are:

The Mists of Avalon- MArion Zimmer-Bradley ( Far better than the made for TV movie)
Shopaholic Takes Manhattan & Shopaholic Ties the Knot-Sophie Kinsella
All of the Gunslinger series books-Stephen King
The Stand- Stephen King
...I am sure that there are more. I have read so many, it is hard to remember!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#15371 - 07/29/03 09:38 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I just remembered another one I forgot: Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas - James Patterson. This one's a real tear jerker.

Oh, and of course the Uncle John's Bathroom Readers!

#15377 - 07/29/03 09:53 AM
Georgia

Reged: 07/06/03
Loc: Granite City, IL

Hi Jules - I agree with everyone else. I think sharing reading ideas is a great idea. I love to read, but am a slow reader. I've even been thinking about joining Oprah's book club. I'm at a point in my life where I'm changing careers and trying to decide what to do and saw Jane Stern on the Today Show. She recently wrote Ambulance Girl and I love the book. It is a quick read for me, very entertaining with a lot of life thoughts. Has anyone read any of the Conversations With God books? My girlfriend said they are wonderfully inspiring.

#15578 - 07/30/03 10:31 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

The Stephanie Plumb series by Janet Evanovich -- a MUST read! There are now eight books in the series and I think that I read them all in two weeks!

--------------------
~jules

#15586 - 07/30/03 10:37 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

What type of books are these? Tell me why I must read it I'm always looking for something new to read!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15592 - 07/30/03 10:43 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Romantic Comedy, so so funny!!!

Check this out: http://www.evanovich.com/

I guess that No. 9 is out! Woo hoo!

--------------------
~jules

#16102 - 08/02/03 09:55 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Okay, don't even get me started about my favorite books, I have FOUR lists on my computer (children's picture books, children's novels, young adult novels, and adult novels--I've been keeping the lists since I was eleven)! But since I'm at my boyfriend's computer I'll just list a few from memory.

Very special books:
Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney is my favorite children's picture book. Actually, I like anything by Barbara Cooney.

The Animal Family by Randall Jarrell is a very special good-for-any-age book.

The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery is my favorite book overall. I've read it so many times I actually have portions of it memorized. The author also wrote Anne of Green Gables, but The Blue Castle isn't really a children's novel--you'll see if you read it--it's about making life choices and about marriage. (For that matter, so are the later Anne books.)

A book I just saw in the bookstore so the title is fresh in my mind is Family by J. California Cooper. She follows several generations of an African-American family from slavery to the present.

If you like fantasy, and you don't mind books that are a leeetle bit silly, Barbara Hambly has some good stuff. Some of it is out of print but available for cheap (like 75 cents) from half.com One trilogy is The Ladies of Mandrigyn/The Witches of Wenshar/The Dark Hand of Magic, and another (that happens to contain *five* books) is The Time of the Dark/The Walls of Air/The Armies of Daylight/Mother of Winter (which I'm currently reading)/Icefalcon's Quest.

There's a very interesting trilogy about the life of Josephine Bonaparte that I began reading this summer. The first book is The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. by Sandra Gulland.

I LOVE the Harry Potter books--I own all five in hardcover!

John Marsden writes for teenagers but I haven't let that stop me even though I'm no longer one. His Tomorrow, When the War Began series is probably most famous--its premise is that a group of Australian teenagers are camping in the bush over their school holidays when the country is invaded and its citizens imprisoned, and they return home only to discover that they, as the only free residents of their hometown, must singlehandedly fight the invaders. Marsden's writing can be downright awful but his plots are always so original that his books are still worth reading. Other good ones *not* in the Tomorrow... series include Letters from the Inside, Checkers, and Winter (which I just finished this morning).

Ruchie, you're not completely nuts (unless you've read this far down my post!)--I like Hamlet, and I'm trying to read The Taming of the Shrew and Othello, and I can't wait to go see Romeo and Juliet in Centennial Park later this month.

I read Wuthering Heights in school and it was pretty good. I read Jane Eyre on a friend's recommendation and it was even better. Now I've just bought The Tenant of Wildfell Hall so I'll have covered all three Bronte sisters.

The Haunting of Lamb House by Joan Aiken is funny and clever.

I liked Walking West by Noelle Sickels--it's an Oregon Trail novel that is *not* romantic or glorified in any way.

Okay, I'm going to be quiet now before I REALLY annoy anyone. Seriously, though, if folks want book suggestions in almost any genre, e-mail me and I'll see what I can come up with, okay? (I love doing stuff like that--should've been a librarian.) I'm especially good with children's books--already took some into my classroom--and I've got infants!

#16114 - 08/02/03 11:29 PM
CarmenP

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia

TessLouise, I think you and I may both have a passion for childrens picture books. I am a pre school teacher and have a huge library of favourite books. One of my latest favourites is called Diary of a Wombat by an Australian author called Jackie French. A great book. I love everything by Mem Fox as well (another Aussie author). I too have all the Harry Potter books and am currently reading the 5th book. I love Anne Rice's books (Vampire Chronicles). Also Matthew Reilly (another Aussie). Great action books.

#16122 - 08/03/03 08:17 AM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Hi Jules
Am also a big reading fan! And am currently reading Harry Potter too!
This is a great,its given me some ideas of other books to delve into!
My fave has to be...Lord of the Rings trilogy (was a fan even before the films were made!!) I love Tolkien
Patricia Cornwell,John Grisham,and a scottish writer called Ian Rankin are among my faves!
Nothing like a cup of tea(herbal of course!) and a good book.

--------------------
Morven

#16136 - 08/03/03 09:46 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi Tess Louise! I am trying to get a job as an elementary school librarian, and it sounds like you have lots of great book suggestions. Would you mind forwarding the list to me? I'd really appreciate it- if I get a job for this year, it will help a lot with book ordering to have some ideas handy. Thanks! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11028

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review