All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need to talk and would like prayers as well, please
      #15128 - 07/27/03 10:36 PM
Trish

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Australia

I am a single parent with three teenagers, only one lives with me right now. Luke has been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome last year, Luke is 17. It was a late diagnosis as we were going down the wrong track looking at behavioural issues.

I am finding it extremely difficult to cope at the moment. My other son, Dan comes over every second weekend and I love having him, but Luke is very jealous of Dan and we have these massive screaming fits over the weekend. I am exhausted by the end of it and then have to cope going back to work (I work full time) on Monday - I feel like I have had no rest. It is virtually impossible to reason with Luke because of the Aspergers. He sees it how he sees it and that is all there is to it according to Luke! Dan and I don't have much fun those weekends, which is really sad cos I love him and only get to see him rarely. I am also trying to find a good Christian psychiatrist who knows all about Aspergers and can get through to Luke.

Please pray for this situation.

Trish

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need to talk and would like prayers as well, please new
      #15143 - 07/28/03 01:27 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Trish,

It seems you have a lot to deal with right now. Firstly, any single mum should be praised for the hard job they are doing alone.

I don't know what it is like to parent an Asperger's child but I do know what it is like to teach them. I feel physically and emotionally exhausted at the end of the day so you must be beyond exhausted!

At least now that you have a diagnosis you can make inroads to help Luke.

I was just wondering whether you belong to a support group for Parents of Asperger's kids? If not maybe you could consider it. Some of the parents I am in contact with say they find it a lifesaver.

Has the school been supportive? I hope so.

I'll be thinking of you,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#15145 - 07/28/03 02:48 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Trish,
I am thinking of you and praying for you. I have just given up my job working with children with special needs,and although very rewarding it can be earth-shatteringly exhausting, I can imagine doubly so when it is your own child. Also the older they get, the harder it is physically to deal with them during tantrums etc. Although there's not much practical advice I can give you, I am sure there are organisations who can help.

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#15147 - 07/28/03 03:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Ohmygosh! You poor thing! ((((hugs))))

I don't even know what to say It sounds like you're dealing with a lot--as is your fam! I give you a lot of credit working full time on top of your fam. situation!

I hope that you and your family should find the RIGHT psychiatrist to guide you! Please let us know how things go. You're in our thoughts!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#15173 - 07/28/03 07:52 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Hugs to you Trish,

I don't really know much about Aspergers Syndrome so I don't really know what you are going through but I will pray for you:
Father God, I pray for Trish and her family. They are coping with a lot now, Father, but I know with your help Trish will get through this. We don't understand why you do what you do but we know that you never give us more than we can handle. So Father, I pray that you put your hand on Trish and give her a peace so she knows you are there with her. Uplift her, Lord, and ease her burden. I pray Father for Luke, that you will heal him and help him Father. Please Father, help this family in dealing with this disorder. I pray for everyone who is confronted with this. Keep your hand on this family Lord and comfort them and guide them to solutions, healing and comfort. In Jesus name, Amen.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#15209 - 07/28/03 11:17 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

Trish -

My church has an intercessory prayer ministry, would you like for me to enter a card for you? It is a 24 hour prayer ministry and bless your heart that is so much to have to deal with on top of IBS. It sounds like the situation will only make your condition worse. Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

#15215 - 07/28/03 11:55 AM
vcarson

Reged: 06/23/03
Loc: Alabama

Trish, I will definitely pray for you and Luke. I did a time as a single parent when my kids were both babies. I know it's hard, and neither of them had special needs. I also taught kids with special needs for 15 years and have some experience with Aspergers. The mom of the student I worked with was exhausted in every way. If you can find a support group... other parents of kids with autism/ aspergers, or other disabilities.. I'm sure that would help- if you've not already. You are on the right road looking into help from a Christian therapist. The student we worked with was on many different behavioral charts and programs... some worked, some didn't. Some worked for a while, and then we had to find somethng else. I will pray for you in this matter right now!
Valerie

#15220 - 07/28/03 12:59 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Trish,
I have two teenage boys so I can relate. I have told my doctor many times that if I can just make it until I get these boys to college, maybe I could relax a little! My mother laughs at that though, saying you never quit worrying about your children, no matter how old they are. No wonder we have problems with our gut!
I know this must be extremely hard on you, especially since you are a single mom. I hope you can find the support of family members, friends, a church and a good doctor that can help you deal with these issues. I will put you on my prayer list!

Thank you all so much! new
      #15256 - 07/28/03 04:14 PM
Trish

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Australia

Thanks for the support and prayers, made me cry when I read it. BLU - yes please put me on the intecessory prayer list! I need all the prayers I can get I am looking into support groups for Aspergers, only problem is they are all over the other side of town from me, which is a problem as Melbourne is a big place and working full time cuts it down a bit, but I will look into it again.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your support,
Trish

#15268 - 07/28/03 05:07 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, Trish -

What a heavy load you carry! I'll add your family's needs to my church's prayer list (we have a neat prayer room and a small but mighty prayer team - mighty in Spirit!). Also, we have an autism support group (I know there's some controversy about where Asperger's "fits") at church - a couple of our members have children with varying degrees of autism - one young man is an adult now - very gifted; I'll pass your needs on to the group so they, too, can lift you before the Father. As for Christian psychiatrists who work with Asperger's, this may be a very, very, very longshot - but, have you ever heard of New Life Live radio program, or read any of the books by Henry Cloud, John Townsend, Stephen Arterburn or Dr. Paul Meier? They're Christian psychologists with a call-in radio program. Dr. Meier, who is actually a psychiatrist, isn't on the program anymore, but he has a clinic in Richardson, Texas. I have NO idea if he has a referral list in Australia, but.... Dr. Meier's website is: www.meierclinics.com ... I'll pray they can help.

Blessings from your sis in Christ,
Kaybee C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 305 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7362

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review