All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Currently having attack :(
      #150266 - 02/15/05 09:10 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I've been having an attack since yday and wanted to share this obscure thing I've been watching on cable to take my mind off of it!!

So I got cable last month (BF got it for me as I'm at home 24/7 and he felt sorry for me! ), and I'm addicted to Discovery Health. I watch it while I'm having an attack, funny enough! There's this marathon of birthing shows where they show the mothers in labor for 28 minutes, then the baby comes, then they start another edition of the show and it starts all over again.

I find it's soothing to watch somebody else going through what I go through when I have an attack.

Weird, huh? But my pains are just about the same! I get a low grade fever and cramps that come on about one every half hour. After a while they get more severe and closer together until they're debilitating. Then when they're about 3 minutes apart I start pushing and the D comes over and continues for about an hour and a half.

And just like new mothers, when it's all out of me, I get this imediate overwhelming sense of relief and sense of peace (and also ravenous hunger but I don't know if moms get that).

I even do the hoo hoo hoo ha ha ha breathing because that helps me not push before it's time.

So I've been having an attack since 8:30pm last night (!!!) and my contractions are still about 10 minutes apart. It's been about 15 and 1/2 hours. I've chosen not to take any opiates (including imodium, T-3 and vicodin) to stop the attack, even tho I'm fully stocked on all 3 drugs. I haven't had a bm in 6 days, so I'm using this method to clean out my system, as I've been overeating since my depo shot on Jan 31st (depo makes me constipated so I usually eat what I want with reckless abandon).

ANYWAY! Just wondering if any D-ers use the birthing breathing method to get through attacks. It really helps the pain, and MY GOSH watching the birthing channel is GREAT empathy and really takes your mind away from the contractions!!

Sorry for the long post!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Currently having attack :( new
      #150284 - 02/15/05 09:46 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh Nelly!! I hate to hear your feeling so bad right now! I'm also addicted to the discovery health chanel! I had to stop watching those birthing shows-they make me to sad right now. But I saw this great one a while back, this lady had a mosterous tumor, it was like 200 pounds or soemthing crazy!! Seriously, it consumed her whole body!! She couldn't walk or anything anymore. She had seen like a ton of different dr's and finally found one that would try and operate. The ended up removing pretty much all of it and she lived! It was pretty amazing!!

I do use the "labor breathing" to get through some serious IBS attacks! I'll admitt though, I would have been into the Vicodin by now! Are you ate least using the heating pad? Remember to keep up your water intake! Feel better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Lamaze! new
      #150291 - 02/15/05 09:54 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh yeah! My Mum actually taught me to do this when I was getting lots of migraines. Helps loads...if you're interested, this did come up in the past so a search should find it!

#150292 - 02/15/05 09:58 AM
Nelly

Aw, thanks, Michele! I appreciate the comfort! I think I will take out the heating pad... maybe it'll make things go faster for me. I'm sipping Kava Kava tea to help soothe my stomach, but if/when it gets bad, I'll be lunging for the pills, I'll tell you whut.

I saw that show you watched! The tumor lady looked so different after the surgery when she'd gained her weight back, it was incredible!! That channel is so interesting, I think.

I'm TRYING not to dip into the vicodins! They were so expensive and I don't know if I'll be getting more so I'm saving them. I'm lucky I'm home by myself instead at a job, so I can just suffer in silence and not have the usual disruptions. It sounds bad when I write it, but it's really a good thing!!

~nelly~

Re: Lamaze! new
      #150295 - 02/15/05 09:59 AM
Nelly

I never thought to use it for migraines! Thanks for the info, Linz! I'll poke around and see what I can find!

~nelly~

#150304 - 02/15/05 10:13 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Too bad about the attack, Nelly. I have been having more than my share these days. They suck, don't they!

Nelly! new
      #150308 - 02/15/05 10:31 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Babe, I am sorry that you are not feeling great! I know exactly how you feel. I can't say I watch those birthing shows while having an attack. Maybe I should as my mind just completely goes loopy when I have an attack. I just want to say I sympathize with you and hope you feel better soon!

--------------------

#150309 - 02/15/05 10:32 AM
michele

They do have ageneric for the Vic's now! They must be pretty cheap because I usually have a $10 generic copay and they only cost me like $8.48 or something for 30 of them!! My current dr is so great! She gives me scripts for both the Vic's and Xanax to keep on hand! Just remember that too many Vic's can actually make the C worse! So, I try to save them for the really bad days also!

Do get the heating pad out, that really helps bring me at least a small amount of comfort on days like your having! Nothing sucks more than to be having a terrible attack like this than to be having it at work! Enjoy the small comfort that you can at least suffer in peace!

--------------------

#150310 - 02/15/05 10:32 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

LOL When I used to get D all the time I used that same kind of breathing method!! That's so funny that other people do the same thing.

I know what you mean about wanting to let the D come so you can empty yourself out. I had an attack a few weeks ago (my first in 11 months) and I seriously lost almost 5 pounds!! Can you believe it??

Hang in there...you know this will pass....*HUGS*

I've had 3 big babies - attacks CAN be worse!!!! new
      #150311 - 02/15/05 10:33 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

And the lamaze breathing/focus thing does help a LOT. Basically taking control of it. Hope you feel better SOON!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#150319 - 02/15/05 10:48 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Nelly,
I'm so sorry you're feeling crappy (no pun intended) today! I had D this morning too, but thankfully I've felt alright since then. On the lamaze type breathing - yeah, done that - did it on Friday night when I was having an attack on the way home from a bar. Will and I were in the back of a cab and he thought I was hyperventalating - I said no, but I think I might die if I don't get this pain to calm down! I spent the next couple hours curled up with my heating pad and then headed to bed! I would defenetly reach for the heating pad to see if that helps before you go for the meds. The ones you listed would just clog you back up again, and if you havn't had a BM in 6 days you need to get things moving - even if the process is not a nice one to get started. I hope you feel better soon hun, and I'm glad you're home!
By the way - did you get the note I emailed last thursday?

Hugs,
Min

#150320 - 02/15/05 10:49 AM
Nelly

I don't have insurance, so I bought these off of a, uh, street pharmacist. He charged me $5 apiece for them and I bought 10. They're the 7.5 Es kind, I've had them before.

I haven't tried asking my doctor for them because he's already hesitant to give me an Rx for the Tylenol 3's-- I get 60 of those a month, but I always run out after about 2 1/2 weeks. I'm so used to not being believed about the urgancy of my pain, I just take what I can get now. I'm hoping to buy a bunch of over the counter codiene while I'm in England and bring them back. It just sucks being sick and no one understands. Except you guys that is.

~nelly~

You're so sweet, Tommy! new
      #150322 - 02/15/05 10:51 AM
Nelly

That's funny, I guess you wouldn't watch that particular show.

Thanks for the good thoughts!

~nelly~

You get it-- new
      #150326 - 02/15/05 10:56 AM
Nelly

I guess I'm not the only one who does lamaze breathing!! I guess it's weird for those watching, cos we're obviously not pregnant!

Yeah, the drugs are great for the unending cramps and do help the D a lot, but when I'm trying to go, I find myself without adequate pain management if I forgo the pills.

I think now that my body is just not ready to complete the attack, so I'm going to go back on the pain management in a sec. Basically I'm just getting cramps that come and go at this point!

I got your email!!! Thanks!!! I'll reply to it right now!!

~nelly~

Re: You're so sweet, Tommy! new
      #150328 - 02/15/05 11:00 AM
TommyNY

Thanks Nelly... For some reason I have been getting "Tommy you're so sweet" lately... What's up with that? C'mon, I am the tough Nyer here! tough as nails, red meat eating NYer! Grrrrr... Not sweet! LOL

--------------------

If all my worst attacks were babies... new
      #150329 - 02/15/05 11:00 AM
Nelly

... I'd have 3,432 children conservatively, for 3 attacks a week since I was 12. Ooo, that's an ugly number.

Thanks for the well wishes! I appreciate it! Off to drug myself now (hour 17 of my attack).

~nelly~

Oh yeah. I hear you new
      #150330 - 02/15/05 11:02 AM
Nelly

... on those 5 pounds. When you weigh how much you eat during the day vs. how much put out, and multiply that by 6 or 7 days... It adds up. Not fun.

~nelly~

#150332 - 02/15/05 11:03 AM
Nelly

I mean, Tommy you're so throbingly handsome and powerful!!! What was I thinking?? Sweet??

~nelly~

Cable TV... new
      #150339 - 02/15/05 11:08 AM
Stephie

Loc: Vancouver, Canada

... is such a necessity for me!! Man, when I am really sick and am on the couch with a heating pad and a frown, I would go out of my bloody mind if I didn't have my TV!! Now that I am back in Canada, I am extra lucky 'cause my parents upstairs have like 'super cable' so we get lots of extra, really bizarre channels and US channels so we can watch stuff 3 hours earlier and stuff, it's wicked.
I TOTALLY do the breathing thing! And the funniest thing is, I think I started doing it without realising it! I guess sometimes when I get a bad cramp, I breathe out really slowly and I only noticed 'cause Adrian would say, "Tummy pain?" and I thought he was psychic or something before I realised what I was doing, hee hee.

I know what you mean about wanting to get emptied out after not having a BM for so long.. if I go too long, even if it's not uncomfortable, I start to get panicked and try to make myself go.. and then I think, "where's that D when I need it??" and then it comes and I kick myself for wishing it on myself.

Anywho, I'm sorry you're in the middle of a full fledged attack, it sounds bloody awful. 15 hours, yeesh! It must be even longer now if it's still carrying on... Hmm, shoulda read the other replies to see where you are at.. damn lazy Stephanie..
If I remember right, you don't do well on peppermint do you? I was gonna say drink lotsa pep tea if you are forgoing meds, but then I remembered that so... yep, I officially have no advice...
I hope you feel better really, really soon and don't forget to breath! Hee hee.
*hugs*
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Cable TV... new
      #150355 - 02/15/05 11:25 AM
Nelly

LOL! Cable TV ROCKS! I am headed for the meds right now, cos these cramps are going nowhere!! Stoopid D, can't come when I need it. Ah if only IBS could be controlled by willing it away.

I have to get some more of those Canadian channels!! I got totally addicted to DiGrassi Jr. High (don't laugh! ) way back when!! That's the only Canadian show I can think of right now but I know there are more!!

Hey Steph, are codiene pills still available over the counter in Canada? Do you have what's it called... paracodol or panadol or something like that?

~nelly~

#150366 - 02/15/05 11:41 AM
michele

$5.00 a piece for Vic's!!!! Holy Cow!! I guess I'll have to remember that if I ever need some fast cash! I knew there was a demand for them on the street but thats just silly crazy! But, they do work for the pain!! I would ask your dr next time about them instead of the tylenol 3, the worst thing he could do is say no! My dr is so great about that kinda stuff! She even gave me three refills without me even having to ask her! I guess when I go in there double over, white as a sheet, blood pressure and heart rate elavated from the pain and looking 7 months pregnant from the bloating, she "gets it!"

--------------------

#150367 - 02/15/05 11:43 AM
TommyNY

Yeah! That's what I am talking about. The ego has jumped a few nothes! Thanks babe!

--------------------

#150422 - 02/15/05 01:25 PM
Nelly

Your doc is way cool. I do get refills on my T-3s every month, but I'm afraid that if I refill them too much before I'm supposed to, I'll get cut off.

$5 for vics is actually good! I've seen for them for $10 a pill. Methadose is $20 a pill and oxyconton 80's are about $40 here. But those last 2 don't help me so I'm not in the market for them. I did buy amitriptyline ("trips") for $2 a pill, but it's not like I hangout with dealers, I've just always known somebody somewhere who had pharmies up for sale.

Never thought I'd be without insurance and had to resort to a street pharmacist, but hey, you live long enough and lots of things are bound to happen!

~nelly~

#150424 - 02/15/05 01:35 PM
michele

They gave me those amitripylines when I had the RSD in my foot!! I'd never heard of them and I'm pretty up to date on my drugs! I took them for 2 days and stopped!! Its funny you called them "trips" because thats exactly how I felt! Like someone spiked my oj with LSD!!! That might have been fun 10 or 15 years ago but I just couldn't handle it now! It was pretty crazy. I was trying to drive to work and couldn't tell what lane the car next to me was in! I was freaking out being in my office alone and I've worked alone for 5 years!! I had the whole wavey, gravey vision and everything! I'm too old for that kind of stuff anymore! And, they didn't help my foot any, well maybe they did because I was to busy "tripping" on everything else to think about it!! I have a whole bottle, email me if you are interested in them, I was just going to dump them!!

--------------------

#150429 - 02/15/05 01:48 PM
Stephie

Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Ola again,
Yech, sorry your cramps still aren't letting up.. Did the D never come, or just come and then go away too soon? Aren't you just so jealous of people who can just go when they wanna go, and never give pooping a second thought?? *mutters some profanities about said 'normal' people*

I wasn't sure about the codiene pills here, so I checked the big local drug store website and I didn't find anything, then I asked my friend who has been an oodles of pain killers and she says that if you want anything with codiene in Canada, you need a prescription. Panadol, though, does sound really familiar to me.. I am pretty sure you can get it otc in England.. but I guess that doesn't help you out much!! I thought I had brought some soluble panadol home with me from when I had throat ulcers (yowza) so I just searched my bathroom but I couldn't find it.. I think I musta left them behind, sorry!!

Now I have a question for you! I dunno if nausea is a problem for you, but I am SO NAUSEOUS today and I have a midterm exam at 4 (in 2 hours) so I'd like to get rid of it if I can.. gravol doesn't do anything for me, and neither does Pepto Bismol.. Any suggestions? This is just driving me crazy! Thanks!!

I hope your belly calms down, what a nightmare!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

OH YEAH!!!! new
      #150437 - 02/15/05 02:13 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am known for my breathing tendenices while pooing LOL!!

My husband will tease me when I am done and ask if we had a boy or girl this time? My Response a dang alien!!LOL

I hope you are feeling better soon!!

In and out and pant honey!!!!! LOL!!! OO Don't pass out from breathing that way that would not be the best way for someone to find!!!LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

#150465 - 02/15/05 03:43 PM
Nelly

You know, it's funny because I'd only heard of them like 10 years ago because for a brief period I had a group of friends who used to take them recreationally. They were the ones who called them trips, but after I stopped hanging out with them I never heard of them again until I joined the boards! I don't think they're that common in drug circles, though. I don't think I'd ever take them to do anything but sleep though, because they're way too strong to be on in public!! But they work great for the fibro, so that's good for me!

I sent you an email!

~nelly~

Re: OH YEAH!!!! new
      #150466 - 02/15/05 03:48 PM
Nelly

*LAUGHING!* I always think I'm going to be found semi-conscious like that!!

I call them stomach aliens too!!!

I took the drugs to stop the attack and I feel sooooo much better now. But I know I'll just have to deal with a probable attack tomorrow so I'm just trying to enjoy the good feeling while it lasts!

~nelly~

#150471 - 02/15/05 03:58 PM
Nelly

Hey Steph! No D yet... I just gave up and took the drugs to stop the cramps. I'll just deal with it tomorrow if it comes back. Don't get me started about "normal" people!! What do people do with all that time they gain by not thinking about the next time they're going to poop??!

Panadol and paracodol I think are available in australia, and I'm sure I bought codiene over the counter 6 years ago while I was in Toronto, but I don't know if you still can. They market it as acetominophen plus codiene, that's all I remember.

Oh I hate nausea!! Can you drink some hot chamomille? That usually gets things settled for me. Also can you take a walk around? Sometimes walking also helps. Feel better!!!!!

~nelly~

#150473 - 02/15/05 04:00 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Yep I do it too! Sucks when you are in a public place or when I'm at work cause our one bathroom has stalls so when I must to my "breathing" I have to do it very low or into my shirt sleeve. But when I'm at home....nothing stops the noise!

Heather that's too funny....was it a boy or a girl. I'll have to remember that one LOL

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#150582 - 02/15/05 07:52 PM
Niesan

Reged: 01/18/05

If a text book would want to describe the pain and than relief following an attack they should use your description.I never put the two together. I have had to lay down on the bathroom floor between contractions!!! Because I loose my strength.
Hope you feel better soon

Hey thanks! new
      #150695 - 02/16/05 07:49 AM
Nelly

Ah the cool comfort of a bathroom floor. I hear you, sister! There's nothing like a folded towel under your head to pass out peacefully on. It's the little things...!

~nelly~

That visual made me giggle... new
      #150696 - 02/16/05 07:51 AM
Nelly

...because I've done it too! I'll take my shirt off in a bathroom stall and ball it up and breathe into it!! I get so hot when I have an attack like that, it's the only way!

Public attacks! *shudder!!!*

~nelly~

Update-- feeling better this morning! new
      #150699 - 02/16/05 07:54 AM
Nelly

Thanks to all of you for making my yesterday so much more bearable! I really appreciate the support and you guys are the BEST. I caved and took the meds yday afternoon, and found I actually had to take MORE of them than usual, unf. But this morning I feel so much better.

There are more birthing shows on this morning, but I think I've seen them all now. Tee heee!

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3397

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review