All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Currently having attack :(
      #150266 - 02/15/05 09:10 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I've been having an attack since yday and wanted to share this obscure thing I've been watching on cable to take my mind off of it!!

So I got cable last month (BF got it for me as I'm at home 24/7 and he felt sorry for me! ), and I'm addicted to Discovery Health. I watch it while I'm having an attack, funny enough! There's this marathon of birthing shows where they show the mothers in labor for 28 minutes, then the baby comes, then they start another edition of the show and it starts all over again.

I find it's soothing to watch somebody else going through what I go through when I have an attack.

Weird, huh? But my pains are just about the same! I get a low grade fever and cramps that come on about one every half hour. After a while they get more severe and closer together until they're debilitating. Then when they're about 3 minutes apart I start pushing and the D comes over and continues for about an hour and a half.

And just like new mothers, when it's all out of me, I get this imediate overwhelming sense of relief and sense of peace (and also ravenous hunger but I don't know if moms get that).

I even do the hoo hoo hoo ha ha ha breathing because that helps me not push before it's time.

So I've been having an attack since 8:30pm last night (!!!) and my contractions are still about 10 minutes apart. It's been about 15 and 1/2 hours. I've chosen not to take any opiates (including imodium, T-3 and vicodin) to stop the attack, even tho I'm fully stocked on all 3 drugs. I haven't had a bm in 6 days, so I'm using this method to clean out my system, as I've been overeating since my depo shot on Jan 31st (depo makes me constipated so I usually eat what I want with reckless abandon).

ANYWAY! Just wondering if any D-ers use the birthing breathing method to get through attacks. It really helps the pain, and MY GOSH watching the birthing channel is GREAT empathy and really takes your mind away from the contractions!!

Sorry for the long post!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Currently having attack :( new
      #150284 - 02/15/05 09:46 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh Nelly!! I hate to hear your feeling so bad right now! I'm also addicted to the discovery health chanel! I had to stop watching those birthing shows-they make me to sad right now. But I saw this great one a while back, this lady had a mosterous tumor, it was like 200 pounds or soemthing crazy!! Seriously, it consumed her whole body!! She couldn't walk or anything anymore. She had seen like a ton of different dr's and finally found one that would try and operate. The ended up removing pretty much all of it and she lived! It was pretty amazing!!

I do use the "labor breathing" to get through some serious IBS attacks! I'll admitt though, I would have been into the Vicodin by now! Are you ate least using the heating pad? Remember to keep up your water intake! Feel better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Lamaze! new
      #150291 - 02/15/05 09:54 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh yeah! My Mum actually taught me to do this when I was getting lots of migraines. Helps loads...if you're interested, this did come up in the past so a search should find it!

#150292 - 02/15/05 09:58 AM
Nelly

Aw, thanks, Michele! I appreciate the comfort! I think I will take out the heating pad... maybe it'll make things go faster for me. I'm sipping Kava Kava tea to help soothe my stomach, but if/when it gets bad, I'll be lunging for the pills, I'll tell you whut.

I saw that show you watched! The tumor lady looked so different after the surgery when she'd gained her weight back, it was incredible!! That channel is so interesting, I think.

I'm TRYING not to dip into the vicodins! They were so expensive and I don't know if I'll be getting more so I'm saving them. I'm lucky I'm home by myself instead at a job, so I can just suffer in silence and not have the usual disruptions. It sounds bad when I write it, but it's really a good thing!!

~nelly~

Re: Lamaze! new
      #150295 - 02/15/05 09:59 AM
Nelly

I never thought to use it for migraines! Thanks for the info, Linz! I'll poke around and see what I can find!

~nelly~

#150304 - 02/15/05 10:13 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Too bad about the attack, Nelly. I have been having more than my share these days. They suck, don't they!

Nelly! new
      #150308 - 02/15/05 10:31 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Babe, I am sorry that you are not feeling great! I know exactly how you feel. I can't say I watch those birthing shows while having an attack. Maybe I should as my mind just completely goes loopy when I have an attack. I just want to say I sympathize with you and hope you feel better soon!

--------------------

#150309 - 02/15/05 10:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

They do have ageneric for the Vic's now! They must be pretty cheap because I usually have a $10 generic copay and they only cost me like $8.48 or something for 30 of them!! My current dr is so great! She gives me scripts for both the Vic's and Xanax to keep on hand! Just remember that too many Vic's can actually make the C worse! So, I try to save them for the really bad days also!

Do get the heating pad out, that really helps bring me at least a small amount of comfort on days like your having! Nothing sucks more than to be having a terrible attack like this than to be having it at work! Enjoy the small comfort that you can at least suffer in peace!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#150310 - 02/15/05 10:32 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

LOL When I used to get D all the time I used that same kind of breathing method!! That's so funny that other people do the same thing.

I know what you mean about wanting to let the D come so you can empty yourself out. I had an attack a few weeks ago (my first in 11 months) and I seriously lost almost 5 pounds!! Can you believe it??

Hang in there...you know this will pass....*HUGS*

I've had 3 big babies - attacks CAN be worse!!!! new
      #150311 - 02/15/05 10:33 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

And the lamaze breathing/focus thing does help a LOT. Basically taking control of it. Hope you feel better SOON!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3403

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review