All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Back from the doctor
      #149794 - 02/14/05 07:54 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

The doctor says I have degenerative disc disorder, which means the discs in my back are wearing out. He showed me the MRI films, and you could see one of the discs, the L-5 (in lumbar region) is almost in a point. It is pressing on my sciatic nerve, that long nerve that runs almost the length of your body. The L-4 is bulging too, but not as bad as the other one.

The good news is he doesn't recommend surgery, but the bad news is there isn't a lot that can be done for this. He is starting me on physical therapy again with a therapist who he says is one of the few in the country trained to help with this type of problem. I go at 3 this afternoon.

He said the pain would probably be worse before it would get better, so he gave me a prescription and some samples of an anti-inflammatory medicine, Mobic, to take temporarily. He said if I can't stand the pain, for me to call him back and he would give me an epidural injection in my spine (of cortisone.) I would love to have some relief but am hesitant to do that since my sister had a horrible reaction last year to a cortisone shot----and because of my manic depression. (sometimes cortisone can cause a manic episode).

He still wants me to have the nerve test done on March 1 to make sure I don't have any nerve damage.

I am relieved---and disappointed. I was praying he would have a way to relieve my pain. To think that this is something I will just have to live with for the rest of my life is depressing. I cannot sleep in my bed because lying down compresses the discs and causes tremendous pain. He said the reason I can sleep in the recliner is because it takes the pressure off of my spine. Lately, I have even had trouble sleeping in it.

Am I going to have to sleep in a chair the rest of my life? What about when we travel? I will not be able to sleep on a bed in a hotel or at someone else's house.

I asked him about my mattress and he said some of his patients have gotten relief with the Swedish therapuetic mattress. My husband is ready to order one of those. If anyone has any experience with those, please let me know. I know that will be expensive, but it will be worth it if it will help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Back from the doctor new
      #149808 - 02/14/05 08:11 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I don' know about that kind of mattress but my parents have a convertible bed which allows them each to move their bed into the position they need. My mom sleeps more sitting up because of reflex and my dad raises the legs on his for back support. I know they bough it at a regular furniture store. It is more expensive than others. I am not sure of the name of it though. Maybe craftmatic??? I can check with them if you want. They will be back at the end of this week.

#149818 - 02/14/05 08:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Get the tempurpedic bed!!!!! I LOVE mine! Will and I got one a few years back and it is the most comfortable thing I've ever slept on!! You can buy them in many stores now, you don't have to order them! Go in and try one out! The are kinda heat activated so you have to lay on it for a few minutes to get a good feeling. Your body heat warms up the foam and it conforms to your body! I wouldn't trade my bed for the world!! I also have a full body pillow (not tempurpedic) that helps me to get comfy, especially when my hips are hurting, maybe that would also help you? I got a great one, covered in poly-fleece at Costco for $20!!

I'm glad you don't need surgery. Hopefully the therpay will help. I don't know how the corisone interfers with your bi-polar but the shots in my hips have big a life saver for me! I did have to get two in my right hip and still have some pain but the left hip is like new!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Aww, happy and sad to hear your news, BL! new
      #149839 - 02/14/05 09:24 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I don't have any advice on the matress, but just wanted to say I'm glad to hear you know what it is, even though they can't do much for it. At least you can put worry of something worse out of your mind and start concentrating on feeling better. Maybe the physical therapy will help tons?

--------------------
- Jennifer

Talk about mixed emotions! new
      #149843 - 02/14/05 09:27 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have no advice on the mattress, but I truly hope you will get better! The siatic nerve pain is terrible...I had a little bit of trouble while I was pregnant with this. My friend had it terribly. I feel so awful for you - I understand what (kind of) you are going through!

I wish you luck with your appointment this afternoon...sounds like you have a wonderfully helpful doctor so that's good!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#149860 - 02/14/05 09:51 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Just curious did he tell you why he can't do surgery to remove the discs. My husband had two discs removed that his doc termed degenerative and he was in real bad shape beforehand. They made him wait so long before they decided to do surgery that he could barely walk and he wasn't sleeping much b/c it got to the point that no matter what position he slept in or where he slept it hurt like h*ll. After they were removed he was like a new man but the doc can't guarantee that the discs he has left won't do the same thing. So he isn't supposed to go on roller coasters ever again or do sports like basketball or anything that may jar his back.

I hope you find some kind of relief!! (((((HUGS)))
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#149870 - 02/14/05 10:06 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

BIG HUGS!! I hope things get better soon!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

You poor thing! new
      #149883 - 02/14/05 10:48 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm sorry the news isn't good, and I hope you find some relief to the pain and your sleeping situation! I have 2 bulging discs too and I can't stay seated for any length of time because I get incredible pain in my lower back. I have always been able to sleep on my side, tho, so I can't imagine what you're going through.

Just wanted to wish you good luck, and I hope the meds work for you ok. Take care,

~nelly~

hugs BL n/t new
      #149913 - 02/14/05 12:05 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

--------------------
S.

Re: Back from the doctor
      #149914 - 02/14/05 12:06 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I am so sorry for your bad news. I really hope a new bed will allow you some decent rest. hang in there...thinking about you...

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 540 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12413

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review