All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help (venting)
      #149240 - 02/12/05 08:14 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I dont know what to do anymore. I feel like all I do anymore is cry or think about how much IBS has ruined my life. I used to be such a happy outgoing person and Ive turned into a depressed person who never even leaves her house anymore. I dont know why but lately my symptoms have completely changed to feeling like crap EVERY SINGLE night and getting D like once a week or once every 2 weeks and I barely used to get it at all. I havent changed my diet at all - in fact I eat the same thing everyday (which I know is a problem and Im trying to fix it) so I know it cant be the food causing it. I did move 3 weeks ago but all the stress from that is gone so I dont think its stress. Although I have been extremely depressed because of all this so I guess thats pretty much considered stress. The only other change was that my doctor wouldnt refill my antispasmadic - Hyoscamine - that I have taken 3 times daily for almost 2 years now so I had to just quit taking it and that was about 3 weeks ago also - can this have that sort of effect? I am not currently taking an SFS - Ive always sorda been scared of them ( I tried acacia for about 2-3 days and it made me sick) but Im thinking about trying it again. Anymore suggestions or thoughts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Abby new
      #149369 - 02/12/05 05:37 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Abby,
First of all, I am so sorry that you are feeling so poorly lately. I have definitely been where you are and I think a lot of other people on here have as well!
One thing I can say about stress is that it just causes more stress and that it takes a lot to break the cycle. No doubt you are stressed out about being sick, and then that stress makes you more sick and it is a terrible thing to get caught in but you CAN (and you will!) get out of it.
I know how it is to feel like your life has been completely flipped upside down by IBS and how really upsetting that can feel. Try and hold onto the idea that no matter how bad you are feeling right now, it WILL get better.. maybe only for a few days at first but then more and more.. and if you can keep that in your mind, it might help calm the IBS stress down a little bit.

One thing I don't understand is why your doctor is refusing to refill your prescription?? Have you had a lot of success with it? Does he/she know whether you have or not? If it has made you stable in the past, I can't understand why you would be taken off of it. Has he/she offered you any alternatives? If it did help, and no other meds or anything have been suggested, I would seriously consider going to see another doctor who understands just how important medication can be to some people managing IBS.
I understand being nervous about taking a SFS, but I would give it a shot if I were you. Especially when you are off your meds, your gut probably needs some help! 2-3 days isn't very long to give SFS to work, most people in fact have a bit of trouble at first, but if you are not happy with Acacia, there are lots of other ones you could try. I am taking prodium right now, and it is helping I think.
Are you drinking lots of peppermint and fennel tea? If anti-spasmodics worked for you, and your doctor won't prescribe you any, I would recommend getting yourself some peppermint oil capsules (I haven't tried them but I have heard _wonderful_ things about the ones Heather sells). Since it is a natural anti-spasmodic, it might at least tide you over until you get some more help from your doctor.
Have you ever tried calcium supplements or probiotics? I am on some calcium supplements which I think has helped my D a _lot_. And when I was on anti-biotics, I got a bout of D, but as soon as I took a pro-biotic, I got stopped right up!

As for the stress, you've probably heard it all before.. exercise, and all that! Have you considered the hypnotherapy option? A lot of people have had great success with that; I am on day 33, and I enjoy them a lot.
Good luck, hon and let us know how you are feeling!
**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Help (venting) new
      #149385 - 02/12/05 06:23 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I so understand where you are. I'm so sorry you're feeling so down. I've been where you are in the past and am bordering on being there again. I seem to never be able to introduce new foods cause I'm too scared they're going to give me D. I go through patches of having D every day sometimes 4 or 5 times a day, for 3 or 4 months straight. The depression about never leaving the house kinda comes with these awful attacks. Try and get back on your anti-spasmodic. A lot of them cause C so in someone with D it can be what stops a lot of it. Big hugs. We're all here if you need to talk and a lot of us have been or are where you're at. Go and see your doctor again. Maybe he can help (or if you've moved maybe see a new one). With the moving I get D everytime I move (and I've moved about 8 times) and it lasts up to a month and a half so it could still be stress even though you don't feel stressed. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

--------------------
Amy

#149388 - 02/12/05 06:29 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I'm sorry you feel so terrible. I think your stress maybe from the prescription you didn't get filled (JMO)

Maybe it would be helpful if you were to carry Imodium as a "just in case" method. When you are out and feel your tummy going bad - just pop one...it will help you get out socially again and then you can relax, change your diet and get back on track.

Don't worry - we have all been there. It's frustrating but it will pass.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#149512 - 02/13/05 09:00 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I hear ya. I've been there too. You'll have your good days, tho and you'll appreciate them. Hang on and lean on us as hard as you have to.

~nelly~

Re: Abby new
      #149539 - 02/13/05 10:03 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Thank you so much for all your posts - it really makes me feel better reading them. The deal with my hyoscamine prescription was: I had been taking it for about 2 years and I always just call in the refills and he gives me about 3 or 4 refills and then I would just call it in again when they ran out - well this time I called it in and they said that I cant have it refilled until I come in and see them again but the problem was that I moved in the meantime so I havent been able to go back (its about a 5-6 hour drive) SO I asked them if they knew any doctors where I moved to and they said no. Anyways thats the story with those - I did have pretty good success with them but I was actually hoping that I could go without them from now on. Im going to order some acacia and peppermint tea off of this website and give them both a try. I havent tried calcium or probiotics yet either - I cant even get myself to try a new food even when I practically have to force what I eat down my throat everyday because Im SOOOOO sick of it. It seems like everytime I do get up the nerve to try something new it just makes me sick - I think that my stomach is so used to the same foods that it cannot handle anything new at all. I do have the hypno CDs - I have tried to get through them twice but I always quit at around day 30 or so - I need to just make myself listen and go through the whole cycle. Im having such bad depression problems lately that I am really thinking about going to a therapist also - Ive completely changed over the last couple of months into a rotten, grouchy, miserable person and thats not me at all. I have the ABSOLUTE BEST husband in the world (along with the best family) and I dont want to ruin any of that. Im NEVER happy anymore and I know its really bothering them. Has anyone went to a therapist about stuff like this? I dont even know where to start? Thanks again for all the help and support - it really means a lot to me!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 568 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 558

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review