All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
new mom wanting to connect
      #148557 - 02/10/05 09:53 AM
maggles

Reged: 06/18/03

Hi! I'm kind of a lurker on this site! I've had IBS for about 5 years, seemingly brought on by 2 food poisoning episodes in fast succession, and a traumatic loss at the same time, and childhood pains catching up with me, I think. I'm happy to say that in about the past 1 1/2 years the symptoms have greatly subsided in intensity and frequency, sometimes no symptoms for weeks at a time though I still get more mild regular flare ups (like once every couple weeks as opposed to every day!). My IBS symptoms when they were really bad were a little different than the norm, my GI diagnosed "sensitive gut" more than 100% IBS. I'd get mild diarrea in the mornings, and BIG flare ups of nausea and diarrea when I'd eat too much fat, too much "rich" food. In fact, I vomited several times in public places while out to dinner, family events, etc...and then developed some panic attacks whenever I would get nausea, for about 6 months. That was a horrible kind of side effect of my kind of IBS. Since, I've learned what food works for me, and also my life became less stressful and much happier, which is the greatest tonic! For me the main aids were MORE sleep, more relaxation, low fat diet overall (this was a little tricky cause I am slim and got pretty skinny at one point) and acupuncture, and low doses of pepcid and pepto bismol, or immodium on real bad occassions, for flare ups. My life is so happy and I really do think that has helped more than anything (lots of years of therapy!). Right now I'm struggling a bit in that I've had a baby (easily at 40, and w/ only very mild GI upset through pregnancy...there is hope if you want to be pregnant!) and we bought a house which we're fixing up and I work as a therapist w/ autistic kids (not easy) and my baby is a not a good sleeper! It's very tough. I've nursed him a lot (which btw I've read studies that say that the longer a child is breastfed correlates w/ less chance of GI problems later) and at this point he's still up every hour and a half often at night (OMGOD!) at 10 1/2 months...and I am wilting. My IBS is flaring up a bit...and this is always my big fear...will my IBS get bad again? I know what to do now, so I don't think it will ever be like it was, but it's still scary. I have to sleep train this little guy,a nd so far our attempts have been very hard and not worked. BUt I have got him sleeping well for naps now which is a big h elp . ANyway, handling motherhood and working and taking care of myself is a major challenge. Worthwhile, but major! I'd love to hear your stories, parenting choices (if you have kids or not), how you manage your IBS within a busy life.

THANKS!
MAGGIE

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome! new
      #148565 - 02/10/05 10:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I can't help with the baby issues - I'm having a hard enough time with our puppy!

But I'd suggest you get on a SFS...they're great for keeping you stable with life's little ups and downs!

Good luck.

Re: new mom wanting to connect new
      #148595 - 02/10/05 11:28 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I just wanted to say hi and welcome! I worked with autistic kids for 6 years while I was in school - I did Lovaas therapy with them and I LOVED it! I would absolutely love to get back into something like that - what exactly do you do for your job? Where do you work if you don't mind me asking?? I mean - at a school, at a hospital, etc.

I don't have any children yet- we've been trying for over a year now, so hopefully soon!

Good luck to you!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#148597 - 02/10/05 11:31 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Welcome!! I have 2 daughters (5 & 7) and I work full-time at an ad agency which means when on deadline I have to work overtime. I have IBS A (but mostly D) and Fibromyalgia. I find that LOTS of sleep (like 8 hrs a night or more preferred, can function but barely on 6), low fat diet, take a SFS everyday, exercise, drink plenty of water (dehydration can make you tired), support from DH and organization get me through it. But sometimes no matter what everything falls apart. And you have to tell yourself that's ok and pick yourself up again. Good Luck getting your son on a sleep schedule that will be essential to your well being.

Again Welcome,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Hi Maggie! new
      #148653 - 02/10/05 01:44 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Welcome, lurker!! Nice to meet you! I'm Nel, IBS -D pain predominant sufferer since age 12, am 33 now. I'm childless by choice and until recently led quite an active work life despite IBS, Fibro and back pain due to 2 car accidents, as a busy executive. I was laid off in December a couple weeks before xmas and in the middle of my mother's breast cancer treatment, but my IBS was surprisingly fine because I stayed the course with my diet and made sure to give myself some peace and rest (tho the urge to jump right back into work was hard to resist!!).

It's interesting you mention acupuncture, because it's a route I've been wanting to explore for a few years now. Do you mind a couple questions? How did you get turned on to it, and is there a special course of acupuncture you follow? Are there reputable/non-reputable places I should watch for?

My little brother is a clinical psychologist who works with autistic kids, esp ones with Asperger's Syndrome. I worked with developmentally disabled kids while I was doing my student teaching years ago, but I eventually burned out. I admire those who stick it out!! It's challenging work!

Well, welcome again to you and I'm so glad you've found this site, because the people here are amazingly compassionate and really empathize. It's helped me immensely to post here and read other people's experiences, and I'm so glad you decided to relinquish your lurker status and open up!

Best wishes,

~nelly~

Re: Welcome! new
      #148667 - 02/10/05 02:07 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome!! I'm IBS C, though taking miralax keeps things moving, so mostly pain pridominant now!! I first started having IBS issues when I was 14-15, I'm 33 now!

I work full time and I'm trying to have a baby, no childern yet. It can be difficult because I work in a small office and can't really call in sick because I would have to close the office. I work for an optomistrist and its just me and the doctor! One bad tummy days, I use Heather peppermint caps, Xanax if the anxiety is bad, Vicodin if I'm in a lot of pain, and those therma-care heat wraps for menstrual cramps are wondeful!!

Just wanted to welcome you aboard!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#148859 - 02/11/05 12:08 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hi Maggie, good to have you here. I am past the stage of having babies. I am now taking care of my grandsons, I do understand the term, wilting.

I wish I could offer you some good advice, if it were me, I would wean the baby. Ten months is an accomplishment. But, that is just me, you may not be comfortable with that right now. Hope you can get some good rest soon, I know you need it!

Glad to have you here.

#148897 - 02/11/05 06:49 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Just wanted to welcome you to the boards! I am a fairly new mom. My son is 13 months old. I was curiuos when I read your post about your baby. He is 10 months old and is still up every 2 hours?? If that's true has your doctor recommended anything to do? I just find that really strange because usually by that age they sleep through the night or are up maybe once a night. That must be so hard on you! I was a zombie and my son was only like that for 3 months. Anyways hope you don't mind me asking the questions. Welcome again!

#366945 - 02/28/12 11:11 AM
maggles

Reged: 06/18/03

I just read all of these posts- from 7 years ago! WOW what sweet and welcoming posts. I guess my lapse is a testament to just how busy I've been these 7 years. In that time I have navigated a difficult divorce w/a non-sleeping toddler in tow, sold our beautiful then new house, have moved to and set up great homes in two rental houses, gotten my private practice up to full time to support us, raised a beautiful almost 8 year old boy through good and bad coparenting times, had a 2.5 year serious relationship (which I ended, but on good terms) gotten my son into great schools....been a school volunteer, full time mommy and worke, and made a beautiful life for us, and become a great cook- thankfully able to eat way more than I could when first diagnosed, but also being IBS smart. I feel very proud. And I'm still tired, I'm still stressed, and I still struggle w/ IBS-D, mainly stable w/ flare ups. I would so love to hear how you all are!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7086

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review