All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What's the best tea to drink for fatigue/cold symptoms?
      #148532 - 02/10/05 08:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I LOVE tea! We have red tea, black tea, white tea, and green tea LOL Whoich is best for immunity boosting? Anyone know? Thanks! *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's the best tea to drink for fatigue/cold symptoms? new
      #148551 - 02/10/05 09:33 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hey Ruchie,

i hope you are feeling better today. I think green tea is supposed to be better for immune system. If you have a cold try Celestial Seasonings Echinacea Complete Care it is a Eucalyptus Mint Flavor with Vitamin C and Zinc. Zinc is supposed to be good for immune system.

Feel Better Soon,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

I love Echinacea (sp?) Complete Care (with the little koala on the box) new
      #148556 - 02/10/05 09:45 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

My immune system tends to be weak and so far this season I've stayed well, think it's helping. GL!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Tissy, you have mail! n-t new
      #148558 - 02/10/05 09:54 AM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I drink Rooibos for fatigue... new
      #148564 - 02/10/05 10:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...and so does Si now - he can't have caffeine really either! Love it. Echinacea is great stuff for your immune system - I take capsules of that and vitamin C. I find I REALLY need to boost my immune system with this DD as every tiny virus knocks me sideways!

Ruchie back atcha! You got mail!-nt- new
      #148583 - 02/10/05 11:13 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Ruchie new
      #148589 - 02/10/05 11:21 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

For fatigue I drink Yerba Mate tea or ginseng tea.

I have also started taking an herbal supplement with ginseng, bee pollen, wheat grass and kola nut in it. I have noticed a HUGE difference. Here's a link.

http://www.jamiesonvitamins.com/product_item.asp?id=23

As for cold symptoms, I would drink ginger tea, lemon, or any herbal tea marketed for colds. Here:

http://www.naturesflavors.com/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=3152

I take a supplement called "Astragalus" to boost my immune system. It helps alot!

Thanks everyone! new
      #148613 - 02/10/05 12:18 PM
Snow for Sarala

I'm with ya Linz! I'm hoing detoxing will help...I'll let ya know how it goes. I've had 2 cups green tea, 2 cups blueberry tea, one cup Madagascar Vanilla Red (Roobois) tea. I am just guzzling the stuff! LOL Have you ever thought about going sugar free? Have you read anywhere this is good for fibro? I keep thinking I've read this...but I can't recall where. If you run across anything please let me know! You too Tissy! We have a box of Echinacea Wellness tea but it's so old it lots its smell So I guess I'll have to wait until I get to the store next to some more. I was pretty let down when I realized it had gone bad...I find echinacea really helps with immunity too!

Tina...how did you hear about this product? I've heard bee pollen is good for lots of things but that it needs to be the pee pollen from your specific region?
In any case, thanks for the info.! You're an excellent resource :-)

Thakns again *hugs* all around!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie, about sugar... new
      #148620 - 02/10/05 12:28 PM
Sara-Sage

No problem Ruchie.

About that product, I saw it in the HF store, looked up the ingredients in my reference book and went back and bought it on my next visit.

About sugar. I know you haven't asked me about it but I want to give my 2 cents. I NEVER have sugar except for the occasional cholcolate that I have. It is extremely bad for you and I would try to eliminate it if at all possible.

Here's an interesting article about sugar. I'm sorry it's so long though...

---------------------------------------------------------

Sugar is an unnatural chemical

Why is sugar so devastating to our health? One reason is it is pure chemical and (like heroin) through refining has been stripped of all the natural food nutrition that it originally had in the plant itself. Sugar is first pressed as a juice from the cane (or beet) and refined into molasses. Then it is refined into brown sugar, and finally into strange white crystals C12H22O, that are an alien chemical to the human system.

Sugar is addictive

A second reason that sugar is so harmful is that like heroin it is addictive, and being delectable and seductive to the taste, it is also habit forming. Starting with sugar in the baby's formula, people not only develop a strong taste for sugar but an insatiable craving for it so that they never seem to get enough of this poison.

Slow but insidious

A third reason is that the damage sugar does is slow and insidious. It takes years before it ruins your pancreas, your adrenal glands, throws your whole endocrine system out of kilter and produces a huge list of damage.

List of Damages

We have stated that sugar is deleterious to your health: that it is more damaging than all other narcotics combined; that it is a long term chemical poison. Just what damage does sugar do to the human body? The list is endless.

Sugar is by far the leading cause of dental deterioration - cavities in teeth, bleeding gums, failure of bone structure, and loss of teeth. Sugar is the main cause of diabetes, hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia. It is either a significant or contributory cause of heart disease, arteriosclerosis, mental illness, depression, senility, hypertension, cancer.

It has an extremely harmful effect in unbalancing the endocrine system and injuring its component glands such as the adrenal glands, pancreas and liver, causing the blood sugar level to fluctuate widely. It has a number of other extremely damaging effects on the human body.

Some of the other effects of sugar on the body are:

- Increases overgrowth of candida yeast organism
- Increases chronic fatigue
- Can trigger binge eating in those with bulima
- Increases PMS symptoms
- Increases hyperactivity in about 50% of children
- Increases tooth decay
- Increases anxiety and irritability
- Can increase or intensify symptoms of anxiety and panic in susceptible women
- Can make it difficult to lose weight because of constantly high insulin levels, which causes the body to store excess carbs as fat.

Yikes!!!

Re: Ruchie, about sugar... new
      #148725 - 02/10/05 04:01 PM
Snow for Sarala

Tina, that is SO weird! Before I took my nap I was gonna post to you asking you abou thtis but I got too tired

I notice even if I drink almond milk which has a bit of sugar in it I taste/feel the difference! I thought I was freak for being so sensative to the stuff...now I'm beginning to think I'm lucky!

Wow, I never thought about baby formula before...but it makes sense! And what about baby food? Yikes is right!

Do you know who worte the article? I want to send this off to some people...but they will want references.

I wish the article had been longer I think everyone should know how bad sugar can be. I have strong opinions about this because sugar has ruined my life in many ways! Ask my husband he'll tell you ALL about it! He's the one that first noticed my horrible eating patters when we were married several months.

As an anorexic child I lived on sugar. Pasta, ice cream, cake. Sugar was what kept me going with so little food in my bod. But now I get sick a lot (overdose of antibiotics--thanks doctors dumb! and too much sugar among other things I believe). And I am hoping that taking out sugar (among other things) will help me get to wellness. I will def. keep y'all posted!

Do you recall going off sugar? What it was like? How long you had detox symptoms, etc? When you say sugar...do you include fruits, carrots, white flour and the like? How do you stay IBS safe? (I eat a LOT of white and brown rice and millet. Maybe I should switch from white to brown...but for some reason I thought white rice was ok? I'm not so sure on this).

Anyway...thanks again Tina! Thanks for thinking of me and for bringing the article to my attention and hopefully other's as well. It's a scary thing the white stuff! *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Ruchie, about sugar... new
      #148753 - 02/10/05 05:09 PM
Sara-Sage

Ruchie,

Here's the link:

http://www.organicnutrition.co.uk/articles/is-sugar-bad-for-you.htm

I'm glad you liked what I sent you. The article was a bit longer. I edited a bit of it out as I didn't think you want to read three pages.

When I say I don't have sugar I mean that I don't have candies, buy sugar, add it to baked goods, or eat food with it. Most of the products that I buy happen to be organic and contain cane sugar which is not refined. I do still eat fruits which contain sugar.

I'll admit, I'm no expert on sugar! I know that it has some health consequences and I try as much as I can to avoid it. I've never been fond of it so I'm lucky that way. My absolute weakness is natural licorice. YUM!

Can I just point out here... new
      #148982 - 02/11/05 12:16 PM
Linz

...that everything is just a mixture of chemical compounds! Water is a chemical - H20.

I don't think sugar is great for you, but I hate badly worded/ill-informed propoganda like this. Sugar is addictive because of the sugar-high, which is just chemical energy (that you get from ALL food) hitting your blood stream shortly after consumption.

Keep things in perspective!!!!!

Re: Can I just point out here... new
      #148989 - 02/11/05 12:29 PM
Sara-Sage

Linz, I agree with you that you have to be selective in what you believe and read. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Linz and Tina...help me out! new
      #149010 - 02/11/05 01:03 PM
Snow for Sarala

Hi there! My 1st reaction was to apologize Linz and write a novel saying how sorry I am and maybe I shouldn't have stated such strong opinions on the board. Then I read your response Tina...and you validated Linz while still holding on to your opinions!

What is WRONG with me?! Why can't I be who I am? Why am I so afraid everyone is gonna leave if I disagree with them for a second? Linz--your post made me feel invalid and threatened in terams of my opinion and stating it (do NOT feel bad about this--got it! I am just trying to learn from it all!)

I have GOT to stop worrying about what everyone else htinks about what I believe....and just be me. Linz, would you like me any less if we disagreed? I AGREE with you that we can't just take everything we hear as fact....BUT I DO believe sugar is a major prob (esp. in America!) Do you like me any less for believing this or for saying it?

I DO appreciate your counter statement. And I LOVE that you can make one! That is the point I am trying to make...that I just don't believe in myself...and it starting ot make me mad. (At me, not you!)

Ugh!

Do you think you can help me? Any advice? You two are SO put together...and assertive...and I think it's WONDERFUL! I hope I can be this way one day too!

Thanks for reading....and for being who you are! I love you guys!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Linz and Tina...help me out! new
      #149013 - 02/11/05 01:08 PM
Sara-Sage

Ruchie, don't be so hard on yourself!

One thing I should tell you is that I get into trouble by speaking my mind. Some people are surprised, such as my boss, but I don't sugar-coat things.

Everyone is entitiled to their opinion and I am not offended in any way by Linz's response.

Ruchie, you're tougher than you give yourself credit for. Try not to second guess yourself so much. Take a stance and stick to it.

#149021 - 02/11/05 01:24 PM
Snow for Sarala

Tina,

I was worried that I had offended Linz to make her say what she did. *sigh* I am beginning to understand how my past has effected me...

The GOOD news is that I have you guys to help straighten me out!

I'm scared of saying/doing anything wrong (that includes disagreeing with someone) cause if I do they will leave. That has been my past experience....

I am SO thaknful for the boards and this oppurtunity to say what's on my mind and not be booted!

I want to be able to be who I am without worrying that being me will hurt others causing them to leave me.

Am I making sense?

I do NOT want to be prisoner to my past anymore! And I'm starting right here today...are you with me?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Can I just point out here... new
      #149030 - 02/11/05 01:47 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey Linz...
just wanted to point out that though the addicitiveness of sugar is down to its chemical energy burst, the reason why it is considered a poison by some of us (including me and its my career speciality) is not just because of the chemical burst and addictive nature, but because of the chain reaction it creates in the body with respect to chemical reactions. For example, the C6H12O6 that is the glucose compound acts to imbalance the minerals in the body in such a way that if someone consumes sugar as a food source as opposed to just a condiment, they force their body to compensate by, for example, stripping the skeletal structure of the body of calcium to try and keep the status quo. Lets not even go to the stress created on the liver and pancreas, the boost of unfriendly gut bacteria colonies etc. Although I am a naturopath, I am also a scientist at heart and will not quote things that are not scientifically sound. I absolutely one hundred percent believe that sugar as a food group (thats the way it is treated these days in western societies) is a poison to the body of mammals. There is nothing wrong with having a cup of tea with a tspn of sugar in it once a day, but when we live in a world where everything is 'fortified' with sugar (or substances just as bad or worse with respect to blood sugar)we are in serious trouble!
heroin and cocaine etc are also just chemicals!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#149065 - 02/11/05 03:32 PM
Sara-Sage

Linz is a tough cookie and I don't think she was offended.

Say anything you like Ruchie. Nobody here is mean and will make you feel bad. I have said some dumb things, I'm sure everyone has. I have yet to read anything that you've ever written that has offended me.

Ruchie, you're strong just have some confidence!!!!

Oh *&^%! new
      #149211 - 02/12/05 05:08 AM
Linz

I was SO NOT offended. Ruchie sweetie, do NOT get upset by this...sorry, I come from a whole group of people (Inc. Si and his family) that believe in debate, etc so this is NOTHING. And you do NOT write dumb stuff...look at you, beating yourself up - BAD Ruchie! Kidding, ok?

And I do believe that sugar is a pretty bad thing....I just think that comparing it to heroin is silly and I didn't like the argument that because it is a chemical, it's bad. That is just not an argument! People who argue using ridiculous and nonsensical points that do NOT help their own point-of-view really pee me off! Ok, vent over!

I couldn't go naturo with my diet as I have a hard enough time with life and food as it is, but I do try to avoid too much refined sugar.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2047

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review